• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the scary stuff, what I've thought about mostly, with portals, is how fucking insane it'd be regulated. New forms, an addition to our license, safe travel, restrictions, etc etc. Standing in line at the dmv is a nightmare enough, let alone thinking about the paperwork to get cleared for full, instantaneous travel anywhere in the world.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Your horror scenario is built on the premise that body and conciousness are separate entities, which has no basis in science, and further from that, the entire idea of 'consciousness' as a defined thing is a great big question mark. It might be that 'consciousness' as we experience it is merely a byproduct of the specific arangement of molecules and synapses that make up our brains, or its something that is continually created as a figment of our bodies as they go about their business. In which case, teleportation poses no threat to the idea of 'consciousness'.
Yeah, but your consciousness has a continuity through time. A perfect copy of you has your consciousness, but you cease to exist the moment you are transported.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to properly articulate this, but from my view on consciousness, I am okay with teleporting as long as the person is nuked before being duplicated at the destination.

If I'm duplicated at Point B first before eradicating me at Point A, that creates a new person and you gotta let both live. Both are the same person the instant the copy is made, but split off into their own real individual persons .0001 second later and I think both deserve to keep their life. A one second lag between eradication and recreation seems to resolve whatever issues i have with the concept, since I guess i'm more concerned with the continuity of the consciousness defining "me" than whether or not I'm my original molecules.

For me using a teleporter is less concerning than going under general anesthesia for a surgery. There's no perceived passage of time waking up from GA, it's just lights out for however long you were under. That happens IRL and I feel is already weirder than having my molecules swapped out and my consciousness blanked out for a brief moment.
That's an interesting and logical take on it, but most people won't share that view. "You" might be the same, but the stream of consciousness is not. If you're not living for your own stream and experience but instead for a general notion of "you," or "your" existence, then what is even the point of the latter? You'd have to think you're a pretty special mark on the universe to shift the importance from your experience to your existence.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Yep, teleporters definitely kill you. There's got to be physical continuity for you to be the same person.
But this is not the ship Theseus, this is total replacement instantaneous.
well your cells get replaced every second. so you're a new you every couple of years or so? Who cares if its instantaneous. As long as i can go to Hawaii in 5 seconds, I'm in. (even if its my perfect clone)

So i never followed a thing of this whole transporter clone idea doesn't this idea imply that they could just create infinite copies of people?
like how are they not constantly energising up a replacement every time someone on the crew dies, or hell making copies just for convenience in one of their weekly desperate catastrophes?
Basically a Transporter is just a Cloning machine with government mandated restrictions. I'm surprised cloning wasn't used more often in Star Trek. People do it all the time without thinking about it but at the same time they also commit suicide and assisted suicide. Thanks a lot, Roddenberry!
Well there's too much information to store it, so they can only transmit the data in real time, or something to that effect. You would have think some race has devised a way to make clones using a giant vat of goo, but i guess since Star Trek isn't real, we will never know. Until someone invents teleportation.

If they use two beams to make a Riker clone, they should have recreate the same incident with Data and make thousands of copies. But that would just lead to the inevitable android revolution.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
<extremelybenshapirovoice>

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the universe destroys and recreates itself every Planck second, and that there's no such thing as "continuous existence". The universe advances "frame-by-frame" on a scale undetectable by modern science. I'm not suggesting this is how the universe actually works, but let's pretend it works like this. The question is, how would you feel about your life? Would you think you're "dying" countless times per moment? Furthermore, how would you differentiate this "constant recreation" universe from a "continuous existence" universe?

IMO, you wouldn't be able to. There is no functional difference in terms of human perception. See: Meditations on First Philosophy

Star Trek teleportation works the same way. The existential crisis is only in your mind. As long as the destruction-recreation is nominally undetectable, your existence is preserved, because existence is only in the mind.

Addendum: There's no guarantee "portals" don't work by deconstructing you atom by atom and reconstructing you on the other side seamlessly. It's all fiction and fantasy.

</extremelybenshapirovoice>

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I read some article a long time ago that decided Stargate portal technology was much more scientifically probable than Star Trek transporter technology. Just the dismantling and reassemble of molecules is a little too out there to be even remotely believable, while some sort of wormhole transportation would be much more possible.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I'd have no problem stepping onto a Star Trek teleporter pad. Even if I'm getting murked, at least a version of me will live on.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I read some article a long time ago that decided Stargate portal technology was much more scientifically probable than Star Trek transporter technology. Just the dismantling and reassemble of molecules is a little too out there to be even remotely believable, while some sort of wormhole transportation would be much more possible.

Thank god.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
There's an episode where it malfunctions and doesn't get rid if the previous dude, outing it as cloning

That's not what happens, it makes a copy of Riker's data in his original location creating a clone of him, the original one is transported back to the Enterprise as expected and reconstructed there.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah, but your consciousness has a continuity through time. A perfect copy of you has your consciousness, but you cease to exist the moment you are transported.

We only have our own faulty perception to take as proof of this. We perceive ourselves to have persistence, doesn't mean we have. Our consciousness could be created a thousand times a second, just with all the memories and behaviours of the accumulated consciousnesses before it. We have no way of knowing this, because 'consciousness' is not a defined, concrete thing. It has no physiological location or substance.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
You should read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained for a really solid semi hard scifi take on how human society could develop with worm hole technology. Lots of trains. Really damn good books too. Peter F. Hamilton is the author.
Same with his Saints of Salvation series as well. The guys just loves portals and wormholes.

yes, this is fun stuff on the portal-front. Still have to finish that first Salvation book.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Heat Signature has a faction known for using this kind of teleporting tech, and you can have an interesting conversation with one of them

"You're not a lump of flesh, you're a pattern. The pattern survives, the fleshlump gets fried."
"Oh that whole situation, that body and brain and all, that did die. She knew that when she pressed the button. We just don't consider that to be a person. The person is the pattern, and the pattern survives."

And sort of a Ship of Theseus thought.. how many of the atoms that are currently in your body were there when you were born? Many of the cells in your body die and get replaced regularly, but even the ones that don't will continuously replace many of their atoms to keep functioning.

Last edited:

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
There's a horror story I can't remember where it's from, but people were testing teleportation technology and during the first trials they found out that it wasn't instantaneous. People were caught, conscious, mid transport for millions of years or something unable to move or do anything other than think only to come back out a second later from our perspective. I think it also mention sending animals that when they came out instantly tried to kill themselves.

Can't remember where it's from, my brother told me about it.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
There's a horror story I can't remember where it's from, but people were testing teleportation technology and during the first trials they found out that it wasn't instantaneous. People were caught, conscious, mid transport for millions of years or something unable to move or do anything other than think only to come back out a second later from our perspective. I think it also mention sending animals that when they came out instantly tried to kill themselves.

Can't remember where it's from, my brother told me about it.
sounds like The Jaunt by Stephen King

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The way you described teleportation makes it seem like a clone machine that erases the original product. So we could create copies of ourselves without deleting us. And we could sell our copies as NFTs.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
It's really gonna suck for future generations when these kinds of technologies come into play. They may end up dying several times a day and the current them won't realize it. For now, we're no where close to building a machine that can completely deconstruct the human body and then completely rebuild a human body "brain and all" nigh instantaneously from the brain on down in such a way that the thing on the other side would live.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So would you remember teleporting / portal?

Or would you just wake up with the old you dead and new you not remember dying so it works?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what happens, it makes a copy of Riker's data in his original location creating a clone of him, the original one is transported back to the Enterprise as expected and reconstructed there.
iirc they actually show a diagram of the thomas riker transporter signal bouncing off the upper atmosphere and going back down to the planet

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Hey, OP...
How can you be sure that the concept of "dying and being reborn again, but with the same memories" isn't happening all the time even when you are not teleporting?
What if the YOU you were 1 year ago in fact is just as "dead", and the you you are now only feels like the same person because you have his/her memories?
This also means that the YOU you are now will die within a year.
Or maybe a day?
A minute?
A moment?
A single thought?

Omae wa mo shindeiru etc

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
<extremelybenshapirovoice>

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the universe destroys and recreates itself every Planck second, and that there's no such thing as "continuous existence". The universe advances "frame-by-frame" on a scale undetectable by modern science. I'm not suggesting this is how the universe actually works, but let's pretend it works like this. The question is, how would you feel about your life? Would you think you're "dying" countless times per moment? Furthermore, how would you differentiate this "constant recreation" universe from a "continuous existence" universe?

IMO, you wouldn't be able to. There is no functional difference in terms of human perception. See: Meditations on First Philosophy

Star Trek teleportation works the same way. The existential crisis is only in your mind. As long as the destruction-recreation is nominally undetectable, your existence is preserved, because existence is only in the mind.

Addendum: There's no guarantee "portals" don't work by deconstructing you atom by atom and reconstructing you on the other side seamlessly. It's all fiction and fantasy.

</extremelybenshapirovoice>
Existence can't be only in the mind, because the mind (which requires the brain) needs to exist to be a mind.

The first scenario you describe is just making something up to say that Star Trek teleportation is actually fine. You may as well say 'but what if we had magical consciousness that expanded through all dimensions so it's all good' or something like that.

The copy has its own consciousness, modelled after yours. It isn't your consciousness. Yours would be lost the moment you are disintegrated.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Teleportation is fucking scary to me, man.
Like, let's look at Star Trek for a second. You go on the teleportation pod and you basically get erased from reality, deconstructed on a molecular level, and then reconstructed in another place. But the thing is, that's not you, that's not your consciousness. You died the instant you got deconstructed. The teleporation only recreated you elsewhere, an exact copy of you, of your thoughts and memories, an exact copy of your consciousness. Basically a perfect clone of dead and erased person. That's nightmarish imo.

However, if we're able to construct wormholes or portals that you go through like a door, that's much better. No dead you, no copy, you're still alive.
Teleportation is overrated.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
No. That is now how transporters work no matter who many times the internet tries to make it so.

There is even an episode on TNG that shows you are conscious the entire time you are transported.

If all it did was make a clone of you Picard wouldn't have an artificial heart and Nog wouldn't have a cybernetic leg.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
We only have our own faulty perception to take as proof of this. We perceive ourselves to have persistence, doesn't mean we have. Our consciousness could be created a thousand times a second, just with all the memories and behaviours of the accumulated consciousnesses before it. We have no way of knowing this, because 'consciousness' is not a defined, concrete thing. It has no physiological location or substance.
It's location is the brain. Consciousness is not a phenomena that occurs outside our bodies or brain.

Positing things like 'we could be created a thousand times a second' are basically just pseudo problems and don't tend to anything in the world.

No. That is now how transporters work no matter who many times the internet tries to make it so.

There is even an episode on TNG that shows you are conscious the entire time you are transported.

If all it did was make a clone of you Picard wouldn't have an artificial heart and Nog wouldn't have a cybernetic leg.
The Barclay episode is contradictory with the other descriptions of transportation, which is that you are disassembled and then 'stored' as data. If such a thing were to occur, you would die. If it was the Barclay like thing, then it would be more like a portal where you are seemingly passing through without deconstruction.

It's not so much cloning as copying, so the question of artificial organs is irrelevant as it would be copying the form that was disassembled.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

It's not a clone, it's an exact duplicate, which would include cybernetic parts. The Star Trek transporters are suicide boxes. Were you to be transported by one, everything would go black and whatever opened their eyes at the other end would be a new animal that was indistinguishable from you, both to themselves and others. But you, yourself, would be dead. That's factually what has to be happening in the Trek transporters, or else a whole bunch of stuff, including Thomas Riker, doesn't make any sense.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
because the mind (which requires the brain) needs to exist to be a mind.
i9Mfbwn-23WO3N0kxsRwKts5UQcHnWpjKxwtQnu-of2IFfAVT5nntCU0H5ps5uSfNCByfxOhOqPoPEmUobYacMgDp75cd-S2oTX44jBr9o_D5BcQAXyfBlbcTBWPJLObafDjQeHWLbuL9VZot7F3Afu0

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
my post got lost just as the site went down

Also I hate being reminded I read The Jaunt

the gist of my post was I would take the risk of teleporters

Star Trek never implies they are killing you so they must have an explanation why your not dying/dead and we have seen episodes show there is no discontinuity in a persons stream of conscious as the go through the teleporter

Wormhole/portal/gate accidents seem to be fates worse than death, just the small chance I could go to hell or be lost in oblivion is a deal breaker.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You've just described the Ship of Theseus, and there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

Yes the teleported person isn't you, but also no it totally is you.

It's no different conceptually that all cells in your body being totally different from the cells you had several years ago. Yet despite not having those same cells you are you, but also not you. You live in the Star Trek transporter dilemma/Ship of Theseus experiment daily (or atleast one half of it). Infact I'd argue that since the transporters make an exact recreation, it's more "you" that your body creating and replacing old cells with new cells over the years. Both scenarios quite literally make up the Ship of Theseus experiment, and there is no real wrong or right answer.

What makes you "you" is continuity of conscious.

Additionally any form of portal that is not an Einstein Rosen bridge, is likely working by deconstructing your body at the origin and reconstructing it at the destination ala Stargate.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Like, let's look at Star Trek for a second. You go on the teleportation pod and you basically get erased from reality, deconstructed on a molecular level, and then reconstructed in another place. But the thing is, that's not you, that's not your consciousness. You died the instant you got deconstructed. The teleporation only recreated you elsewhere, an exact copy of you, of your thoughts and memories, an exact copy of your consciousness. Basically a perfect clone of dead and erased person. That's nightmarish imo.

However, if we're able to construct wormholes or portals that you go through like a door, that's much better. No dead you, no copy, you're still alive.

Forget teleportation, how do we know consciousness is persistent at all in general? Every instance of "you" remembering is just the current you checking what's stored in your brain, and the matter you're made of is constantly being replaced.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So i never followed a thing of this whole transporter clone idea
doesn't this idea imply that they could just create infinite copies of people?
like how are they not constantly energising up a replacement every time someone on the crew dies, or hell making copies just for convenience in one of their weekly desperate catastrophes?
Nope. Because the "signal integrity" loses over time be it due to exceptional power requirements or the need to accurately store the data over a long period of time. You lose enough of it and you can't materialise the person anymore. It's actually documented in Trek that this is how it works.

Additionally the reason you got copies in that specific instance was to do with the specific environment they were in. The way Trek transporters work is that people get converted to energy and the energy (they call it transporter pattern) is sent back up to the ship, but in order to make sure that they don't lose people just because there's some minor loss of signal they have a backup copy of the transporter pattern of the person being energised sent up at the same time.

In this particular instance what happened was that due to the environmental factors around the space station where Riker was beaming up from, the backup pattern got reflected back to the station's transporter pad causing his double. It's something that they could replicate but not something they can do days/months/years later when someone has died or has grown old. That is they can't just store the pattern for years and then have the younger/alive self materialise.

There has been one expection to this rule of time where Scotty from TOS survives up to the TNG era by hacking a transporter to store his and his friend's patterns until they get rescued and he uses alien tech to do it. By the time he gets rescued, his friend's pattern has deteriorated too meaning he's practically dead.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Using this logic, is everyone that came back from the blip in Endgame a perfect clone of themselves then? They were deconstructed and then reconstructed 5 years later.

well your cells get replaced every second. so you're a new you every couple of years or so?
I don't think that's true for your brain though. At least not completely true.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Using this logic, is everyone that came back from the blip in Endgame a perfect clone of themselves then? They were deconstructed and then reconstructed 5 years later.
Well, when real magic is involved, not much to discuss using logic anyway.

I also can't agree with those "ship of Thesus" comparisons. The ship is not a living being. And as for the human cells, they certainly don't get all replaced instantaneously.

As for me, there is too much we don't understand about human consciousness for me to take the risk ah ah ah.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that is why physical continuity is a flawed idea. There is only self-through-perception. Physical continuity is just not a robust framework of existence that holds up to scrutiny. Intuitive, yes, but consistent, not so much.

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Wormhole/portal/gate accidents seem to be fates worse than death, just the small chance I could go to hell or be lost in oblivion is a deal breaker.

I like the idea that during the process of teleportation you're sent to the afterlife for the brief seconds that you're technically dead.

Satan: Welcome to Hell, for eternity you will be torme-
You: *fades away to rematerialize on planet* NOT TODAY, SUCKER

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea that during the process of teleportation you're sent to the afterlife for the brief seconds that you're technically dead.

Satan: Welcome to Hell, for eternity you will be torme-
You: *fades away to rematerialize on planet* NOT TODAY, SUCKER
Well now I hope when the next "transporter" accident in Lower Decks occurs this happens to Boimler but instead he freaks out instead of being a boss about like Mariner.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
well your cells get replaced every second. so you're a new you every couple of years or so? Who cares if its instantaneous. As long as i can go to Hawaii in 5 seconds, I'm in. (even if its my perfect clone
The gradual vs instant nature of the replacement is the difference between being the original you and being a copy.

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but there's a great 2014 post on Wait But Why that covers this question quite in depth and goes even deeper. What actually makes you you?

It's a bit of a long read but it hooks you in from start to finish.

waitbutwhy.com

What Makes You You? — Wait But Why

What is it that makes you you? Your body? Your brain? The info in your brain? Your soul? It turns out this is not an easy question.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Can easily solve this by instead tranferring our consciousness data to avatars at the other end while the original body (mind) remains in a link-stasis. Think of it like a remote desktop connection.

input lag may be interesting though.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Ya'll are worried about teleporters. I'm worried about sleeping.

What if when you sleep your consciousness is dying, and when you wake up, you're just creating a new consciousness based on your memories.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
"Ah yes, just like the ship of Theseus" he said, pushing the plunger to dynamite the ship on the west coast, just as its sister ship was being launched on the east coast.