• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The dream would be to take a small stick and a controller to play all my games on the go with me, on another TV somewhere else (or to play upstairs). Today, I pack my series s, and use my Razer Kishi for portable play.

But yeah, that would be dope. And hopefully they catch up soon and allow for 4k/60 on the the big screen like stadia. And nothing beats Wi-Fi controller, Luna and stadia remain the best experience for me on TV, and the best at input lag

Would be a dream come true

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think that would be such an amazing thing.
Yep, plus it would be an amazing entry way to Xbox. Pay $50-60 for a streaming stick, pick up any Bluetooth controller, (or maybe their wifi controller), pay for a subscription that starts at $1, and you're gaming in your TV, hundreds of games, for the lowest entry point ever

Mar 27, 2018
I'm hoping that a theoretical future Xbox Streaming Stick just includes the 2.4ghz Xbox Wireless Standard, so all Xbox controllers work with it

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's some version of that solution in their pipeline. Seems like a no brainer once xCloud is a bit more mature

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The dream would be to take a small stick and a controller to play all my games on the go with me, on another TV somewhere else (or to play upstairs). Today, I pack my series s, and use my Razer Kishi for portable play.

But yeah, that would be dope. And hopefully they catch up soon and allow for 4k/60 on the the big screen like stadia. And nothing beats Wi-Fi controller, Luna and stadia remain the best experience for me on TV, and the best at input lag

It's called an Nvidia Shield.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
It's called an Nvidia Shield.
This. I use this on my phone and Nvidia Shield for game streaming. The phone supports continuous updates but the shield still needs sideloading - but it's pretty seamless. The controller is Android only but honestly that's fine. It's quality

8bitdo-sn30-pro-android-xbox.jpg

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yep, plus it would be an amazing entry way to Xbox. Pay $50-60 for a streaming stick, pick up any Bluetooth controller, (or maybe their wifi controller), pay for a subscription that starts at $1, and you're gaming in your TV, hundreds of games, for the lowest entry point ever

no need to make a streaming stick when you can get the app on Amazon fire TV stick 4K at $40.

also apps for smart TVs.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I've said in a couple of other threads that this is what I'm expecting MS to bring out next in the Xbox family.

An Xcloud stick bundled in with a controller and a months subscription to Game Pass Ultimate. Given GPU is a consistent revenue stream they could even sell the hardware at a slight loss. For me I'm thinking ÂŁ70 and a shit load of advertising saying how you can basically play Series X games for that price.

Yes it's a pretty small market now with the capacity to actually play streaming games in high quality but it's only going to improve and if MS can get it into the public conscience that their platform is the one for streaming games then that'd be a hell of a head start.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019

The first company who comes out with a phone case that also has really great gaming controls but looks like a phone case can have my money. I'm imaging psp go-like controls that slide out of a phone case. Could slide to the side rather than underneath.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Why a stick when you can code an app for the TV ? Latency?
Would there be any benefits of using an stick over an app in a smart TV?
There's lots of reasons for a stick over an above an app. Some of those reasons are:

1. Not everyone has a smart TV but virtually everyone (in Microsoft's target audience, at least) has a TV with a HDMI port.
2. Some smart TVs have weird platforms and most of them have proprietary app stores. Getting an app onto any one individual store is usually not a problem but there's lots of them.
3. Smart TVs can fall out of update cycles, so even people who have a smart TV might find themselves losing access to apps/services over the long term.
4. Smart TV controller support (and Bluetooth stack optimisation) is...I'm not even sure. Quite possibly highly variable. Microsoft could mitigate this issue with a controller that connected to a wireless network, but they don't currently have one of those, while there are hundreds of millions of existing branded Xbox controllers out there that people might reasonably expect to work on an Xbox service. A stick could offer a guaranteed level of controller support via its own hardware.
5. A stick could also be used on monitors and not just TVs. Additionally a stick is useful in situations where someone has access to a TV's HDMI port but only limited access to the TV's OS (like hotel TVs).
6. A stick can save things like sign-in settings and controller pairings and maybe a few basic application-level settings and make them easier to transfer between displays (like moving between rooms or when visiting other people), without having to download the app again, mess about with controller pairings, sign in again, etc.
7. A stick gives Microsoft potential retail presence - it's something that can sit on shelves and appear in retail search results. That makes it more visible than an app. It'd also make it more giftable - if it were packed up with a 6-month subscription or similar, it'd make a good present for a lot of people.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
EDIT: moved my post to The Verge article thread, felt more appropriate.

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A stick is the smartest way because it means they aren't spending resources updating a bunch of apps for different devices. However MS has been so slow on the ball and they've renamed xcloud already to something inferior. They've missed the ball. They had everything lined up for it to be a success but it's going to flop at this point.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently it was already hinted by Phil Spencer. Would there be any benefits of using an stick over an app in a smart TV?

Phil Spencer on xCloud : Xbox Game Pass Platinum, free TV sticks and a solution for iOS News | ResetEra

Not all TVs are smart TVs or have access to the same apps. I have multiple TVs in my house and one of them doesn't have access to any kind of app store, and the other two that do don't have the same apps available. Something like the Roku Channel, as an example, will be seen marketed as 'available on select Samsung and LG sets'.

Cheap, plug-in stick means universal support. For your posh 4k TV in your living room and also for Johnny's bedroom where he's just got a 28" 1080p dumb TV.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
There's lots of reasons for a stick over an above an app. Some of those reasons are:

1. Not everyone has a smart TV but virtually everyone (in Microsoft's target audience, at least) has a TV with a HDMI port.
2. Some smart TVs have weird platforms and most of them have proprietary app stores. Getting an app onto any one individual store is usually not a problem but there's lots of them.
3. Smart TVs can fall out of update cycles, so even people who have a smart TV might find themselves losing access to apps/services over the long term.
4. Smart TV controller support (and Bluetooth stack optimisation) is...I'm not even sure. Quite possibly highly variable. Microsoft could mitigate this issue with a controller that connected to a wireless network, but they don't currently have one of those, while there are hundreds of millions of existing branded Xbox controllers out there that people might reasonably expect to work on an Xbox service. A stick could offer a guaranteed level of controller support via its own hardware.
5. A stick could also be used on monitors and not just TVs. Additionally a stick is useful in situations where someone has access to a TV's HDMI port but only limited access to the TV's OS (like hotel TVs).
6. A stick can save things like sign-in settings and controller pairings and maybe a few basic application-level settings and make them easier to transfer between displays (like moving between rooms or when visiting other people), without having to download the app again, mess about with controller pairings, sign in again, etc.
7. A stick gives Microsoft potential retail presence - it's something that can sit on shelves and appear in retail search results. That makes it more visible than an app. It'd also make it more giftable - if it were packed up with a 6-month subscription or similar, it'd make a good present for a lot of people.
Not all TVs are smart TVs or have access to the same apps. I have multiple TVs in my house and one of them doesn't have access to any kind of app store, and the other two that do don't have the same apps available. Something like the Roku Channel, as an example, will be seen marketed as 'available on select Samsung and LG sets'.

Cheap, plug-in stick means universal support. For your posh 4k TV in your living room and also for Johnny's bedroom where he's just got a 28" 1080p dumb TV.

Thanks for the replies.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Number seven is actually huge. Retail presence is often overlooked but gifting/being in Amazon mail-outs/on store shelves etc is a really powerful thing when you're trying to shift a product/get subs. Mindshare is a real thing.

Why else would you have Netflix/Spotify giftcards in every supermarket.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I am playing dq11 on my phone (using a clip with an old xbox one controller) and honestly, apart from loading, it is really great (5ghz wifi). JRPGS seems made for xcloud, as also games like A Plagues tale which i am also playing this way.

Really loading is the big issue for me but a lot of future progress will come down to how efficiently MS can encode the video stream for higher quality and lower latency. The new AV1 codec should help with this.

I would also love if the Surface team took a crack at making a handheld device just for xcloud with a built in controller.

Also, apart from the PC client, they should also look at making an Xbox client; it would really benefit older consoles and the Series S

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Why a stick when you can code an app for the TV ? Latency?
Portability would be a nice thing. All your credentials on a stick you can plug in anywhere with an internet connection.
Also personally, my smart TV is really crap and struggles both with playing nice with other kinds of streaming apps like Steam Link, and with connecting to any controllers I pair to it.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I'd love this, particularly if it's open enough that I could put other services on it like Moonlight Game Streaming (or if they have a similar way to stream local PC games to the stick).
Also agreed with the poster that said it should come with the 2.4ghz connection for xbox controllers so they can connect without bluetooth.

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd love this, particularly if it's open enough that I could put other services on it like Moonlight Game Streaming (or if they have a similar way to stream local PC games to the stick).
Also agreed with the poster that said it should come with the 2.4ghz connection for xbox controllers so they can connect without bluetooth.
Why not both? The luna can connect via bluetooth AND wif. Wifi being a lot better. But yeah, it should come with the capability to use any blutooth controller out of the box, but i also hope MS releases a wifi version of their controller (maybe it can be wifi and blutooth in one)