• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually not bummed at all that it's coming to PS4, because that A) means more people will get to play it and B) makes me think that it's coming sooner rather than later. I had it pegged as their big fall 2021 game, but if it's cross-gen and if they're saying they'll have GoW next year, that makes me think that this might be coming a good bit sooner, potentially even in the first half of the year.

Also I'm not sure if I'll have a PS5 by the time this comes out. People here tend to forget this, but not everyone rushes out to buy new hardware the first day it is available.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People assumed it was PS5 only, I did, but they never said it was. Do I wish they were more clear? Sure.

Otherwise, it's a sequel to a extremely successful and popular game, it will do well on PS4/5 and I don't doubt the work by GG on Horizon.

So I am not worried and neither is GG, the negativity you talk OP only really exists on these tiny forums. The general public does not give a rip if it's on PS4 or 5.

Hype-Lord

Jan 8, 2019
Moscow, Russia
I think PS4 version was a last minute decision (same with Miles) to compensate $399 Digital Edition console price.

The game's IQ will be scaled down significantly on PS4, imo. And it will be a while until we'll see true nextgen games (not just in terms of graphics) anyway. Right now, only The Medium and R&C come to mind

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
That's quite a way to make everybody seem like the bad guy, but all the early adopters want is to justify their 400/500$ purchase by playing something unique to the system.

6 PS5 exclusives enough? Horizon is not even a launch game, so I don't see what it has to do with ealy adopters, but ok.

But let's say that even all the announced exclusives were cross-gen (and they're not - since most of them are PS5-only) - PS5 early adopters shouldn't worry. They will still get a very unique experience. There is no way Miles Morales is going to look like that (how it looked in the event) on the PS4.

They simply don't want their games to be held back by the HDD anymore, have hills hide assets, have long ass elevator rides, not having flying mounts, etc.

We don't know if Horizon II is going to be "held back by the HDD". Flying mounts? Sure, because they never existed pre-SSD, and also, every game wants to have them (natch) but they were held back by the HDD. And please tell me, as a game held back by the HDD, where were the long ass elevator rides in Horizon: Zero Dawn? :)

Not every game scales the same. I can totally see why a game like Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart would be impossible on the PS4. But these open world games? No idea.

I like the gameplay and it will obviously look amazing, so I will likely get the game, but I am somewhat disappointed at the game being built with HDD's in mind and I'm most definitely not afraid to say it.

You shouldn't be afraid to say it - and I'll be there to say it too - AFTER we got to see what the game actually is. I am not even saying it's not going to be held back, I'm just saying - judge the game based on what you see.

I'm actually not bummed at all that it's coming to PS4, because that A) means more people will get to play it and B) makes me think that it's coming sooner rather than later. I had it pegged as their big fall 2021 game, but if it's cross-gen and if they're saying they'll have GoW next year, that makes me think that this might be coming a good bit sooner, potentially even in the first half of the year.

Also I'm not sure if I'll have a PS5 by the time this comes out. People here tend to forget this, but not everyone rushes out to buy new hardware the first day it is available.

Yup, exactly.

Hype-Lord

Jan 8, 2019
Moscow, Russia
I think it's possible that PS4 version will have some pretty rough limitation – say, exclude some new enemies or add loading screens between parts of the map etc

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

It actually may look that GOW hits that slot in the fall and this comes out in the summer. Which would be insane.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that worried the first game was running on a PS4 and it was really good and a lot of the stuff that I thought Horizon could improve on like more options in the combat (especially melee based) are things that shouldn't need the game to be built from the ground up on the PS5 to be implemented.

Oct 24, 2019
I think that Guerrilla Games are talented enough (i.e wizards) to push graphically both PS4 and PS5 to their respective capabilities, no doubt. Hence the visuals we saw in the initial trailer. I think what most people are bummed about is that mechanically speaking, the PS4 should in theory drag down the PS5 version unless Guerilla is making two versions of the same game (extremely unlikely). We'll just have to wait and see ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This, exactly.

What people are upset about is that Forbidden West won't be able to be nearly as mechanically innovative, because anything they want to implement needs to work on the old PS4 hardware too. Thus the scope of their design is hobbled by being crossgen.

It has literally nothing to do with OP's disingenuous claim that people just don't want PS4 players to have nice things...

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm definitely disappointed by this news, and it's honestly silly to think that PS4 architecture can't/won't hold back H:FW design. The worst part is you will probably never know what was left on the cutting room floor due to this. There are so many game design non-starters when you're talking about PS4 vs PS5. The insane IO speed and strong CPUs can enable things just simply not possible before. The optics are in Sony's best interest, because they can just point to a screen with shiny visuals and say "see, it's prettier!"... but you'll never know what kind of features they hoped for and had to abandon.

(this is, of course, assuming they even wanted to go in directions that would take advantage of PS5 architecture. Giant armies of enemies/allies, fast moving mounts that would fly through streaming worlds, portals, physics, destruction, gameplay functions that require huge CPU load, etc.)

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Why would anyone be worried about Horizon II Forbidden West?

It's the next big full-scale project since the original game in 2017 and, as we learned yesterday, the development environment seems to be a win for Sony developers and the development cycle is proportionate. The PS5 version will be fine.

It'll blow minds.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
By the time the game comes out, people will have forgotten about this crossgen/exclusive nextgen nonsense and will jedge the game on its own merits.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
Let me start by saying that Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of my most favorite games of all time. Some people would disagree - some think it's just "fine", others don't like it at all. But for me - it's one of my top games ever. I won't really go into the reasons (not the topic of the post), but I'll say I just love Aloy, I love her character, her sassy replies, I love her views on superstition (and, in my personal interpretation that many won't agree with - religion, as well). I also loved the story - I really loved the story. Something in it just kept me hooked and I loved how it all made sense in the end. Finally, I also really liked the world, the setting, the art, the gameplay. But mostly, it's my favorite because of Aloy and the story.

I also have to point out - it was a completely new IP that had the courage to have a female protagonist - that became one of Sony's icons. This made it even more important.

When Horizon got announced for the PC, there was an outcry from a lot of manbabies out there and there was a lot of negativity around the game on the internet which feeds off of negativity. But ok. It was to be expected. What I didn't expect is for this nonsense revolving around exclusivity to repeat - but here we are.

Now, because of the fact that (gasp!) PS4 owners will also get to play the sequel - there is so much negativity and hyperbole it's crazy. Look, I don't care about "he said she said" between Microsoft and Sony. I get it's all very personal to some of you, but I don't care if Phil said something that turned out to be marketing or if Jim said something that turned out to be marketing.

I care about the games - and I care about this game, especially. And I expect the game to be great - but, as we've seen with the TLOU II leaks - when the pitchforks are out - the game itself doesn't even matter anymore for the opinion to form. And the opinion is everything these days. Now - TLOU was big enough to still come out as one of the top-selling games (and I loved every second of Part II). But Horizon, while popular, is not TLOU popular or God of War popular - and I just hope all this negativity doesn't influence how well it's received. I mean - I can already see all those 1-star reviews. Heck, we don't even have to wait - already we have the hyperbole up and running on this forum - and this is a mild place compared to.... you know, the rest of the gamers.

Look, the thing is: I'm sorry that you think marketing was invented by Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer and are now shocked that your personal interpretation of that marketing is not the reality you want. But don't take it on my favorite game, if possible - because I really hope we get a Part III as well. While we're at it, don't take it out on Halo either. Judge games based on how you liked them, not on some marketing bs or how many platforms they are on.

Sorry, but there are so many straw men and false premises in your post.

"Now, because of the fact that (gasp!) PS4 owners will also get to play the sequel - there is so much negativity and hyperbole it's crazy."

This is a nice little meme to dismiss concerns ("they're just mad other ppl get to play it too!") but I doubt it has any basis in reality. Maybe, just MAYBE people want the game to be the best and most ambitious it could possibly be, because they actually like the franchise, and aren't crazy about the game scope being hobbled by an 8 year old console that it has to be compatible with? Maybe, it has nothing to do with some kind of malicious, evil sentiment of "not wanting PS4 users to play it"? How believable is this line of thinking, when probably 95% of those who are excited about HZD2 are PS4 owners themselves?

"Look, the thing is: I'm sorry that you think marketing was invented by Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer and are now shocked that your personal interpretation of that marketing is not the reality you want."

Literally nobody has said or implied this.

"But don't take it on my favorite game, if possible - because I really hope we get a Part III as well."

Nobody is "taking it out" on "your favourite game". People have a right to be disappointed, since there is a difference between building a game from the ground up to take full advantage of PS5, and a cross gen title that has to keep both generation in mind, including a massively weaker CPU/GPU/IO, when making decisions on scope and gameplay possibilities.

I don't own a PS4, and have never played the game, so I have no horse in the race. But as someone who is excited about the possibilities of games created from the ground up for these new consoles, I can see where the sentiment is coming from and we don't need to make up narratives to dismiss them like "they just don't want others to play it". The PS4 had a long and extremely successful run. PS4 owners aren't being "screwed" or "abandoned" or "left out" as others have stated, if PS5 games coming out in 2021 and onwards don't have PS4 versions as well.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's mostly just a bubble. The vast majority of people are looking forward to the game.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I am not aware of this. Really, first time I've heard of it. Have a link?
One of the things I remember they talked about is flying. HDD speed prevented them to show their environments from up high and move fast.

So I presume in this game we will be able to tame those new flying dinos.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
One of the things I remember they talked about is flying. HDD speed prevented them to show their environments from up high and move fast.

So I presume in this game we will be able to tame those new flying dinos.

If this is true, then it's going to be a PS5-only feature? Or not in the game, at all.

Jan 11, 2018

They said they were "targeting" a 2021 release... Doesn't sound like first half of the year at all for me, if 2021 at all. Also, GOW has delay written all over it.

I'm not getting a PS5 either at launch. Though I might when R&C comes out.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
6 PS5 exclusives enough? Horizon is not even a launch game, so I don't see what it has to do with ealy adopters, but ok.
Excuse me? I don't think Sony's announced 6 full PS5 exclusives yet? At least, they haven't caught my eye. Not everybody is interested in the same type of games.

Also, I see a first year purchase as early adoption for a console staying with us for 10 years. The only instance where a purchase after just 6 months is not early adoption would be for smartphones, because these have a one year cycle.

There is no way Miles Morales is going to look like that (how it looked in the event) on the PS4.
I'm paraphrasing from the PS5 showcase: "Everything beyond this point has been captured on a PS5 system". By the way, I liked how it looked; I don't need everything to be the prettiest it can be. Why do you hate it?

We don't know if Horizon II is going to be "held back by the HDD". Flying mounts? Sure, because they never existed pre-SSD, and also, every game wants to have them (natch) but they were held back by the HDD.
I believe a Guerilla employee once spoke about this and that the slow HDD was (one of) the main culprit(s). If I'm not wrongly remembering this, then you know more than that employee, I guess.

And please tell me, as a game held back by the HDD, where were the long ass elevator rides in Horizon: Zero Dawn? :)
Meridian and the port village way east on the map off the top of my head. Why do you think there were two checkpoints in Meridian with the option to fast travel to either and wait a full minute or two for everything to load or take the elevator ride for an hour :)

Not every game scales the same. I can totally see why a game like Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart would be impossible on the PS4. But these open world games? No idea.
Open worlds hide it better.

I am not even saying it's not going to be held back, I'm just saying - judge the game based on what you see.
Oh, so you realize that there's a good chance that it's going to be held back, but you chose to nitpick.. why? I know the game will look amazing, I don't need you to tell me that, but why are you trying to guilt trip people over their purchase and wish to have a true next gen experience early on?

I wouldn't have said these things last gen (PS360 to PS4/Xbone), but I really do want to see the SSD change some annoying gameplay elements like forced walking, forced elevator rides and whatnot. Let me enjoy my first ever early adoption in my life, geez (if I can actually manage to get my hands on a PS5, that is, lmao)

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I didn't even know there is "drama" because Horizon 2 will be available on the ps4. Those are such minimal vocal minorities that lose their shit about everything, I don't think it's even worth it paying atention to that since they can't see outside their bubble and put 2 and 2 together on how the world actually works. The game will do fine because the first one was great. Those, what, a few hundred people, if even that, that can't get over such an insignifican't detail will have 0 impact, like usual.

Monarch1501

Designer @ Dontnod
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
If this is true, then it's going to be a PS5-only feature? Or not in the game, at all.

Having that big of a mechanic just on one platform isn't sustainable imho, nor desired. What's the point of offering the game on PS4 if it's by offering an inferior product?
If it gets cut, well it's the crux of the argument being made by several posters.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I am not aware of this. Really, first time I've heard of it. Have a link?
It's mainly about mounts speed and a flying mount that they had to drop because the PS4 couldn't stream data fast enough for it to work.
Digital foundry talked about it several times(and they got it from Guerilla) but they have tons of HZD videos so I'm not sure in which video it is.
Not to mention, generally, open world games with dense assets are heavily restricted in what they can do on PS4.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I'm paraphrasing from the PS5 showcase: "Everything beyond this point has been captured on a PS5 system". By the way, I liked how it looked; I don't need everything to be the prettiest it can be. Why do you hate it?

No, I think we didn't understand each other - I meant, I loved how Miles Morales looked on a PS5, I didn't hate it - quite the opposite. And I meant - no way it looks that good on a PS4, so I think it justifies getting a PS5 to enjoy this experience (if you can afford one), regardless of the fact that it's still on PS4.

Obviously, graphics are most scalable, and as others said - things can be limited mechanically.

Oh, so you realize that there's a good chance that it's going to be held back, but you chose to nitpick.. why? I know the game will look amazing, I don't need you to tell me that, but why are you trying to guilt trip people over their purchase and wish to have a true next gen experience early on?

I.... don't think that's what I'm saying at all. I preordered the PS5. I'm really looking forward to it, and I want a "true next gen experience" early on. I'm just saying - maybe having a PS4 port does not negate that. If Horizon looks amazing in a way that can only be achieved on a PS5 (and has a worse-looking but still fun PS4 version) it's a win-win. I'm not guilt-tripping anyone, but the narrative on the forum was: "Sony doesn't really believe in generations, they lied and there is now no reason to get a PS5". This is just far from the truth in my opinion, and this is what I wanted to say.

Again, not guilt tripping anyone. I would also prefer a next-gen only Horizon that does some insane things. I would. But, first of all, we have no idea if the developers even planned these things, were they really limited or just realized they can get their vision to run on PS4, too. And since they have - there is no need to be angry about it. Let's see how it turns out.

Not in the game at all, most likely. Which is precisely the reason that people are annoyed the game is crossgen, not any of the straw men arguments you cited in your OP

Yeah, I know you can justify it, but if you read the comments on this site, you'd see it's overreaction and hyperbole all around. If what you say is true, the rational reaction would be: "Oh, ok, that sucks that we won't have flying mounts, but whatever" not the "Sony LIED, PREORDER CANCELED, there is NO reason to get a PS5 now, literally every game will run on PS4 and we can't trust a single word they are saying!!!!" (and I'm not being overly dramatic - this is how some of the posts are).

Horizon II has been in development for years - since it is cross-gen, this was their plan from the start. Sony still believes in generations, they maybe didn't have good messaging about this (then again, people assume what they want to assume) - and Horizon II will probably be a great game. People were literally gasping when they saw the reveal and then went from that to "this game will suck" in just a few hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
What's the point of offering the game on PS4 if it's by offering an inferior product?

It will definitely be inferior on the PS4. What's the point? So that people who don't have a PS5 can still play it. I really don't understand this take, especially from a designer working in a gamedev studio. The only question is - how inferior it's going to be - but we've seen this scenario many times. Switch versions of games sometimes come without certain features (like Volta in the Switch version of FIFA - in fact, the Switch version was named "Legacy" for this reason). I'm sure there are more examples.

Not saying they are going to do it (I doubt it) - but they could, and it would be fine. We'll have to wait and see what the differences are, but I could totally imagine the PS5 version having flying mounts while the PS4 version not having them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It is not fanboy nonsense to concerned that they might design the game around the PS4 instead of the PS5.

Graphics and all of that are just that, visuals. I care more about game play and they have two routes they can do. Route 1 would be to make a PS4 game and "remaster" it for the PS5 visuals. Route 2 is to design two games where each of them target different platforms like the PS2 era where they make different versions of the game that have their own levels and mechanics and in some cases game play. I don't see route 2 happening as it would cost a lot for little gain.

Oct 24, 2019
Yeah, I know you can justify it, but if you read the comments on this site, you'd see it's overreaction and hyperbole all around. If what you say is true, the rational reaction would be: "Oh, ok, that sucks that we won't have flying mounts, but whatever" not the "Sony LIED, PREORDER CANCELED, there is NO reason to get a PS5 now, literally every game will run on PS4 and we can't trust a single word they are saying!!!!" (and I'm not being overly dramatic - this is how some of the posts are).

Horizon II has been in development for years - since it is cross-gen, this was their plan from the start. Sony still believes in generations, they maybe didn't have good messaging about this (then again, people assume what they want to assume) - and Horizon II will probably be a great game. People were literally gasping when they saw the reveal and then went from that to "this game will suck" in just a few hours.

Oh I agree there— my stance since all this was announced has been that I'm disappointed that the scope of the game's mechanics will be hobbled by the limitations of catering to old hardware, but at the same time I loved the first, so even if FW is just more of the same but prettier, then I'm good with that. I'm still just as excited to get my PS5 and all the great games that will be available in their best form on it.

I just think it's not particularly fair to say that anyone complaining about this is doing so from a bad faith or over-reactionary point of view. People aren't saying that crossgen is bad for this game because they want to hurt the game's sales or spite PS4 owners.

It is just genuinely disappointing to have to lower our expectations of what FW can be, especially when it was announced during a PS5 showcase and everyone immediately started drooling over what new generational leaps could be made with the more powerful hardware. Particularly when the trailer showed off the pterodactyl robots, which made most people's minds jump towards flying mounts (something which we know was cut from the first game because of the technical limitations of the PS4).

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
No, I think we didn't understand each other - I meant, I loved how Miles Morales looked on a PS5, I didn't hate it - quite the opposite. And I meant - no way it looks that good on a PS4, so I think it justifies getting a PS5 to enjoy this experience (if you can afford one), regardless of the fact that it's still on PS4.

Obviously, graphics are most scalable, and as others said - things can be limited mechanically.
Ah ok, then I misunderstood. My bad.

I want a "true next gen experience" early on. I'm just saying - maybe having a PS4 port does not negate that. If Horizon looks amazing in a way that can only be achieved on a PS5 (and has a worse-looking but still fun PS4 version) it's a win-win.
You're right about this. If it truly doesn't impact the PS5, then I would obviously want as many people as possible to enjoy the game!

I'm not guilt-tripping anyone, but the narrative on the forum was: "Sony doesn't really believe in generations, they lied and there is now no reason to get a PS5". This is just far from the truth in my opinion, and this is what I wanted to say.

Again, not guilt tripping anyone. I would also prefer a next-gen only Horizon that does some insane things. I would. But, first of all, we have no idea if the developers even planned these things, were they really limited or just realized they can get their vision to run on PS4, too. And since they have - there is no need to be angry about it. Let's see how it turns out.
Ah, then that one line in the OP threw me off and opened up room for this misunderstanding; Sorry about that. I'm not at all angry about the whole situation, but do want a true next gen Horizon, because I believe there's a lot of potential that may be held back due to it being cross gen. The game will be good regardless and I'm looking forward to it. Hope it has coop this time too. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Joo

May 25, 2018
Nah, an overwhelming majority of folks who end up buying H:FW on PS4 or PS5 will have no idea that there was at some point a small group of people who expected it to only come to PS5 but then it didn't. People outside gaming forums have absolutely no idea about this whole supposed debacle, and they just do not in a sense care or know enough to care whether it comes to PS4 also or not from a game design point of view.

I'd like if it only came to PS5, but the news about PS4 version have had an enormously positive response apart from gaming forums and such.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
So they promised horizon 2 will be ps5 exclusive?
Saying they believe in generations is not a promise that there won't be some cross gen titles. That's your interpretation
if you think they were not letting people think that way, I have to just disagree. yes, and now my interpretation is they lied

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
The intense negative reactions to fairly ordinary news is unique to forums like this one. The wider world doesn't care. Horizon 2 will be fine. In fact by the time it comes out most people may not even remember this kerfuffle.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We have already seen the PS5 version of the game and it arguably looks better than any next gen exclusive out there.

Gamers on places like this just love masturbating on their own manufactured rage. 99% of people do not care at all. It won't affect sales.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
OP if the game is great people will forget about the whole cross gen discussion and I say this as someone bummed by the fact of it being cross gen.
With that being said I think Guerrilla will have serious problem if the game is "more of the same" and I think this is what most of the people, me included, is worried. I imagine that by making it cross gen it'll be hard for GG to evolve a lot of Horizon's systems examples : physics, IA, world building. All of those will still have to run on Jaguar CPUs with slow HDD so the chances of them reaching what people expected for this sequel are almost minimal now. To be honest this is in Sony's account with the way marketed their believes in generations and how the PS5 would allow possibilities that were unreachable on PS4...they sold this idea, people bought it and they were the ones to not deliver it.
I say this extremely sad because like you I loved this game, I made 99.x % of it and kept playing even after I got its platinum.
Im pretty sure that it will be a looker on both PS4 and PS5 but besides visual will it be able to push new boundaries ? I really hope so but at this point I'm skeptical.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The negativity is extremely silly when it's based purely on the assumption that Sony is forcing the PS5 version to have parity with the PS4 version. The PS4 version could end up being scaled back and even have content omitted, which is not without precedent. So why get angry about something you don't even know to be the case yet?

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
The negativity is extremely silly when it's based purely on the assumption that Sony is forcing the PS5 version to have parity with the PS4 version. The PS4 version could end up being scaled back and even have content omitted, which is not without precedent. So why get angry about something you don't even know to be the case yet?

Hey, getting angry before you know all the facts is a staple of all quality internet interaction!

Jan 11, 2018
Let me start by saying that Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of my most favorite games of all time. Some people would disagree - some think it's just "fine", others don't like it at all. But for me - it's one of my top games ever. I won't really go into the reasons (not the topic of the post), but I'll say I just love Aloy, I love her character, her sassy replies, I love her views on superstition (and, in my personal interpretation that many won't agree with - religion, as well). I also loved the story - I really loved the story. Something in it just kept me hooked and I loved how it all made sense in the end. Finally, I also really liked the world, the setting, the art, the gameplay. But mostly, it's my favorite because of Aloy and the story.

I also have to point out - it was a completely new IP that had the courage to have a female protagonist - that became one of Sony's icons. This made it even more important.

When Horizon got announced for the PC, there was an outcry from a lot of manbabies out there and there was a lot of negativity around the game on the internet which feeds off of negativity. But ok. It was to be expected. What I didn't expect is for this nonsense revolving around exclusivity to repeat - but here we are.

Now, because of the fact that (gasp!) PS4 owners will also get to play the sequel - there is so much negativity and hyperbole it's crazy. Look, I don't care about "he said she said" between Microsoft and Sony. I get it's all very personal to some of you, but I don't care if Phil said something that turned out to be marketing or if Jim said something that turned out to be marketing.

I care about the games - and I care about this game, especially. And I expect the game to be great - but, as we've seen with the TLOU II leaks - when the pitchforks are out - the game itself doesn't even matter anymore for the opinion to form. And the opinion is everything these days. Now - TLOU was big enough to still come out as one of the top-selling games (and I loved every second of Part II). But Horizon, while popular, is not TLOU popular or God of War popular - and I just hope all this negativity doesn't influence how well it's received. I mean - I can already see all those 1-star reviews. Heck, we don't even have to wait - already we have the hyperbole up and running on this forum - and this is a mild place compared to.... you know, the rest of the gamers.

Look, the thing is: I'm sorry that you think marketing was invented by Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer and are now shocked that your personal interpretation of that marketing is not the reality you want. But don't take it on my favorite game, if possible - because I really hope we get a Part III as well. While we're at it, don't take it out on Halo either. Judge games based on how you liked them, not on some marketing bs or how many platforms they are on.

Of course the negativity won't affect Horizon 2. You know what will though? It having to run on PS4.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
I think people are overestimating the changes next gen will bring in terms of game design. I don't doubt that the SSD is great, not so sure about the game changing marketing from both companies. If anything I suspect what will make the most difference is the CPU and that will mostly affect framerate and multitasking. So yeah, being cross-gen will most definitely not undermine the quality of the sequel in enough itself.

Last edited:

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I think it'll be fine. If there's one thing I've learnt from Era, it's that this negativity is often the vocal minority, combined with being an enthusiast forum, makes for a completely inaccurate representation of the wider gaming community.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I think people are overestimating the changes next gen will bring in terms of game design. I don't doubt that the SSD is great, not so sure about the game changing marketing from both companies. If anything I suspect what will make the most difference is the CPU and that will mostly affect framerate and multitasking. So yeah, being cross-gen will most definitely not undermine the quality of the sequel in enough itself.

Yeah, I didn't hear anyone complain how Cyberpunk is going to be limited or what it could've been, etc.

I know 1st party titles can squeeze more out of the hardware, but still, I have a feeling people expect something unrealistic.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'll just say this: This negativity is something that not only doesn't affect the real world...but it's going to give it more sales.
If it had been a PS5-only title the game wouldn't sell nearly as much as being a PS4/PS5 title.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
After all, what's to say they can't implement flying mounts on PS4 in the sequel? Could have upgraded their engine to do just that over the past five years; we've had helicopters and jets in GTA V for 7 years on PS4 now. As with most of the information coming out this year people really just need to calm down and wait for more news.
The trailer for Horizon II looked incredible.