• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Let me start by saying that Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of my most favorite games of all time. Some people would disagree - some think it's just "fine", others don't like it at all. But for me - it's one of my top games ever. I won't really go into the reasons (not the topic of the post), but I'll say I just love Aloy, I love her character, her sassy replies, I love her views on superstition (and, in my personal interpretation that many won't agree with - religion, as well). I also loved the story - I really loved the story. Something in it just kept me hooked and I loved how it all made sense in the end. Finally, I also really liked the world, the setting, the art, the gameplay. But mostly, it's my favorite because of Aloy and the story.

I also have to point out - it was a completely new IP that had the courage to have a female protagonist - that became one of Sony's icons. This made it even more important.

When Horizon got announced for the PC, there was an outcry from a lot of manbabies out there and there was a lot of negativity around the game on the internet which feeds off of negativity. But ok. It was to be expected. What I didn't expect is for this nonsense revolving around exclusivity to repeat - but here we are.

Now, because of the fact that (gasp!) PS4 owners will also get to play the sequel - there is so much negativity and hyperbole it's crazy. Look, I don't care about "he said she said" between Microsoft and Sony. I get it's all very personal to some of you, but I don't care if Phil said something that turned out to be marketing or if Jim said something that turned out to be marketing.

I care about the games - and I care about this game, especially. And I expect the game to be great - but, as we've seen with the TLOU II leaks - when the pitchforks are out - the game itself doesn't even matter anymore for the opinion to form. And the opinion is everything these days. Now - TLOU was big enough to still come out as one of the top-selling games (and I loved every second of Part II). But Horizon, while popular, is not TLOU popular or God of War popular - and I just hope all this negativity doesn't influence how well it's received. I mean - I can already see all those 1-star reviews. Heck, we don't even have to wait - already we have the hyperbole up and running on this forum - and this is a mild place compared to.... you know, the rest of the gamers.

Look, the thing is: I'm sorry that you think marketing was invented by Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer and are now shocked that your personal interpretation of that marketing is not the reality you want. But don't take it on my favorite game, if possible - because I really hope we get a Part III as well. While we're at it, don't take it out on Halo either. Judge games based on how you liked them, not on some marketing bs or how many platforms they are on.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure it will be fine. TLOU2 negativity before the game came out was far worse/louder and the game did great.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about it. People won't care once they are playing the game. Being on PS4 will net more sales than being on PS5 alone.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): Drive-by, trolling. Multiple recent infractions for low-effort trolling.
Your favorite game is stupid

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
When Horizon got announced for the PC, there was an outcry from a lot of manbabies out there and there was a lot of negativity around the game on the internet which feeds off of negativity. But ok. It was to be expected. What I didn't expect is for this nonsense revolving around exclusivity to repeat - but here we are.
Oh my. Didn't know complaining about a bad port (aka, a game most people couldn't play because it crashed constantly) means you are a manbaby.

Edit: I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to read. Carry on.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I felt like Ghost of Tsushima did for me what I thought Horizon would do for me, but failed to do

but I don't got no issues with people who love it, just not my bag, I'm still interested in the sequel

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
An FFXIII will be held back by Xbox 360 moment - I remember back then for a few months people blamed Xbox 360 for the linearity...before the clusterfuck that was S-E development back then truly came to light

I really hope any faults of Horizon Forbidden West don't form a similar narrative of blaming the PS4

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Oh my. Didn't know complaining about a bad port means you are a manbaby.
He is talking about people who were against the game being ported to PC, not about the port itself.

OT: The game will be amazing, no one will care about the whole crossgen stuff after the release etc etc.
I still think it should be full next-gen tho, but I won't whin about it forever.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I was/am disappointed it's cross gen but I'm still really excited. Horizon is my favorite new IP of this gen and I'm sure FW will be amazing even if it can't do everything I hoped it would.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Oh my. Didn't know complaining about a bad port (aka, a game most people couldn't play because it crashed constantly) means you are a manbaby.

That is absolutely not what the OP is talking about there. They're talking about the people that started angrily tweeting Sony because the game was ported to PC.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

Wasn't talking about that - I specifically meant the outrage because it wasn't an exclusive any more. I thought that was obvious from my post. Complaining about the game itself or the quality of the port - perfectly fine. No, it doesn't make you a manbaby.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
An FFXIII will be held back by Xbox 360 moment - I remember back then for a few months people blamed Xbox 360 for the linearity...before the clusterfuck that was S-E development back then truly came to light

I really hope any faults of Horizon Forbidden West don't form a similar narrative of blaming the PS4
Erm, there is quite a bit of difference between XIII being multiplat and Horizon sequel being cross-gen.

From business perspective it being cross-gen might totally be a good choise but let's not even entertain the thought that PS4 version doesn't affect the development of the game.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
On the contrary, its often an indicator of interest when tons of people start hand-wringing over it. The first party games especially get people really wound up waiting for it to come out.

Dec 15, 2017
I think that the positive response from PC gamers once the game is fixed (Guerilla has been pretty hands on with this) will outweigh any negativity from console players that wanted this game to be only on the PS5 because LoL flying mounts...

At the end of the day, Horizon 2 will be a good game and everyone will be able to enjoy it from PS4 players to PS5 and eventually PC, as long as they manage their expectations. Just push the PS4 to its limits (720p 30 FPS) so that everyone is happy. PS4 players get the most graphically advanced game on their platform and PS5/PC players are also happy that their machines are properly pushed.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
He is talking about people who were against the game being ported to PC, not about the port itself.

OT: The game will be amazing, no one will care about the whole crossgen stuff after the release etc etc.
I still think it should be full next-gen tho, but I won't whin about it forever.
That is absolutely not what the OP is talking about there. They're talking about the people that started angrily tweeting Sony because the game was ported to PC.
Wasn't talking about that - I specifically meant the outrage because it wasn't an exclusive any more. I thought that was obvious from my post. Complaining about the game itself or the quality of the port - perfectly fine. No, it doesn't make you a manbaby.
Pretty sure OP is talking about the complaints from the game losing exclusivity on PlayStation. Problems with the port are very valid criticism.
Thought OP was talking of the people complaining about the port. My bad.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Here's another take: you can't call Horizon 2 your favorite game when it's not even out yet and we know nothing about it. Sometimes sequels disappoint. Maybe being held back by PS4 will make it too samey and it wont be as good as the first. Maybe you wont even like it. No one knows.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
I am not upset about the game, the game is still my favorite game and HFW is my most anticipated media still. Sony misled people, they lied... that is why I am upset

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Here's another take: you can't call Horizon 2 your favorite game when it's not even out yet and we know nothing about it.

I called Horizon 1 my favorite game :) It's been out for a while.

Horizon 2 I hope.... expect to be good. If it's not - that's fine. But I hope the consensus isn't formed even before we get to play it.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I enjoyed Horizon: Zero Dawn a lot - but one of my main thoughts during the entire experience was "The sequel to this could go so much further.". I loved exploring the open world, but always felt a little bummed when I realized just how forced to the pathways I actually was. The battles with huge beasts were incredible, but I knew there was always a hard limit of how grandiose they could actually be. You could see the hidden loading screens, and the concessions made to the hardware.

So when that Horizon II trailer hit, and no PS4 version was mentioned - I very much assumed it would be a sequel that was designed around this powerful new hardware, and would make the fundamental gameplay changes to match. That excited me.

Knowing that the game is still ultimately being designed to run on a PS4 dims that potiential. When we see actual gameplay, I'll probably still be very excited. But it genuinely sucks that I will probably have to wait until near the end of the PS5's lifespan to play a Horizon game that treats the SSD as a core part of the game design, rather than an accelerant to existing design.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the quality of the game changes based on what some people perceive it to be. If it's good and you like it nothing changes. None of this will really change it getting a sequel or not, either.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to read. Carry on.

I remember someone in the HZD PC rumor (announcement?) thread "played video games for decades and now having mental breakdown". And its not a meme/pasta.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If the game looks like the June trailer I wouldn't worry too much, people will lose their minds and at most they'll say "damn! imagine if it was PS5 only" and proceed to love the game anyway.

I believe the PS4 version will be severely lacking.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its definitely dampened the hype for me.

A Horizon sequel unburdened by the limitations of 12-year-old hardware in the PS4 is a next-gen experience I wanted.

No matter what they show, all I will see are the compromises made. its a man shame that technical wizards at GG aren't going to be able to flex as they should.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
lol, the game will be fine. Pretty sure 99.9% of the people venting about it being cross-gen are still going to pick it up. I know I certainly am, but it doesn't mean I'm not bummed about the situation.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
So when that Horizon II trailer hit, and no PS4 version was mentioned - I very much assumed it would be a sequel that was designed around this powerful new hardware, and would make the fundamental gameplay changes to match. That excited me.

Knowing that the game is still ultimately being designed to run on a PS4 dims that potiential. When we see actual gameplay, I'll probably still be very excited. But it genuinely sucks that I will probably have to wait until near the end of the PS5's lifespan to play a Horizon game that treats the SSD as a core part of the game design, rather than an accelerant to existing design.

I get what you're saying. And it may end up being true. I have no idea how cross-gen development will influence the game. Perhaps it will be the game you wanted, perhaps not.

To be perfectly honest - since I'm getting a PS5 - I would've prefered if they said something like "it's so ambitious that it could only run on PS5 hardware". But, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. As I keep saying - let's wait for the game and see. If you see something that looks like a slightly better Horizon 1, then - yeah - it really sucks.

Based on the little we got to see, though, that doesn't seem to be the case. But let's wait.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I get the frustration from a gameplay perspective, it being handicapped by PS4 specifications kinda took away some of the hype for HFW, but I'm still mainly stoked for it. We'll have to wait and see how it looks, but Sony isn't dumb, they know GoW and Horizon are two huge titles for PS, it'll at least look incredible graphically and run very well, not to mention fast load times.

OP
OP
aevanhoe

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Ignore the man babies. They're a very vocal minority.

Ah, the "dedicated servers for MW2 boycott" complex.

Yeah, that's what I thought - but - lately it seems like this vocal minority sets the tone that the semi-interested majority follows.

But I hope you're right. And not just for Horizon, but for other games, too.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The disappointment isn't because PS4 owners get to play it. It's becsause the PS4 will hamper the design compared to it being next gen only. The narrative won't die either...becasuse the more it's shown in the future the more people will remember how long it was between the initial announcement and when they found out it was also on the PS4. They'll only dream of what could have been.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
I also loved part I and I'm sure that the sequel will be a great game.

It's just that Sony did not tell us that this is a cross-gen title from the start, people got hyped and now a loud minority is understandably disappointed, because - unless they're builing two different games here - the old tech is holding the new Horizon back.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eeeeh, i was really really disappointed with it

I hoped on a different take on a Monster Hunter-like-something, but it ended up pretty generic in it's systems.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It'll still look better than 99% of the games on any platform even with it being cross-gen. Any negativity over it is ridiculous.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest concern with this and pretty much all Sony 1st party games next gen is Sony fatigue

I have loved them all but I felt it a little with TLOU2 and GOT. 3rd person action games be it semi open or open world in similar story heavy but ultra serious tones....it's wearing a little thin.

I think Sony studios need to really mix things up a bit for ps5.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, i wish my favorite games had this kind of controversy surround it. This would mean that anyone who ever play that game either a) didn't care about stupid shit uniformed people said or b) made sure to make his own research regarding the truth of the game instead of simply blindly thrust someone stupid.

I guess it isn't too cool not knowing people that play your favorite games, but is even worse dealing with stupid people in your fandom, believe me.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Out of curiosity: I was not here (or was it the old forum at the time) during the BOTW release, how was it being cross gen perceived?