• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
No thanks.
Make a decent console with a decent standard controller that has good battery life.
They should do new motion controllers, but sold separately. Don't take away battery life or other things for the sake of adding motion stuff.
The Switch controllers (JoyCons, Pro Controller) have the longest battery life out of all controllers in the market, while belonging to the platform that makes the most of motion controls and haptic feedback.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yes you have, your "level" is just whatever position you pressed Y to re-center on.

You knew exactly what I meant.

I recenter once before a match and that's literally it, and even that's mostly out of habit since once I got my controlling in position, I almost never have to reset it.

The fact is, I never once strained myself playing Splatoon 1 or 2 despite putting in over 500 hours between the two games and I played both half lying down. So, I'm not sure what you're doing.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I personally would only like the return of motion-centric controllers returning if the system focuses exclusively on VR. Maybe PS6 or something :p

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The Switch controllers (JoyCons, Pro Controller) have the longest battery life out of all controllers in the market, while belonging to the platform that makes the most of motion controls and haptic feedback.

It's painfully obvious that in this thread that most people (not all mind you since there is valid reason to not like motion controls) who complained about motion controls don't know what the heck they're talking about. Like we're still using 'waggle'. Yeah, I would like to see you waggled yourself to victory in Splatoon. Heck, even Skyward Sword was darn near impossible to play if you just swung your Wii Remote like an idiot.

It's fine to hate motion controls, but I don't like when people seems to outright lie about them.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
User Banned (1 Week): Disparaging remarks about the differently-abled
Gyro is not 'waggle'.

Man those Wii games with a button press assigned to a shake really fucked up motion control's rep.
Mario Galaxy and especially DKCR ruined the term motion controls for a lot of people. Who the fuck wants to shake around like Michael J Fox to do functions like the roll or spin attack?

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Amazing how divisive this still is. Forced waggle really soured an entire generation on motion controls - which, btw, are not synonimous of waggle.

Gyro aiming in games like RE4 Wii and the N64 Zeldas remakes on 3DS make aiming so objectively and undisputably superior to single- or dual-analogue, I don't know what to say if someone is still against such an implementation as a standard. The option should be there at all times in any game that can benefit from it, and controllers definitely should implement it by default. You can always turn it off.

And split controllers? Yes please!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recenter once before a match and that's literally it, and even that's mostly out of habit since once I got my controlling in position, I almost never have to reset it.

The fact is, I never once strained myself playing Splatoon 1 or 2 despite putting in over 500 hours between the two games and I played both half lying down. So, I'm not sure what you're doing.
Please stop being disingenuous, you know exactly what the hell I mean. You have to hold the controller in whatever position you re-centered to at the beginning of the match. You can't hold it however you want without re-centering again. You can't just hold the controller sideways, or switch positions mid match, or do whatever you want with it. Each time you move it you have to re-center again, and your aiming axes are completely thrown off. There's no consistency unless you keep your controller in the same neutral position for an entire match.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Everytime I've used motion controls it's jank as fuck. FPS games on Wii were legitimately just straight up unplayable for me.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Please stop being disingenuous, you know exactly what the hell I mean. You have to hold the controller in whatever position you re-centered to at the beginning of the match. You can't hold it however you want without re-centering again. You can't just hold the controller sideways, or switch positions mid match, or do whatever you want with it. Each time you move it you have to re-center again, and your aiming axes are completely thrown off. There's no consistency unless you keep your controller in the same neutral position for an entire match.

Yeah, which is why you make sure you're in a comfortable position before re-center. It really isn't different from another other controller.

As for the 'You can't hold it however you want without re-centering again.', given that this is a button press, it's no more annoying that pressing the jump button in a game. I also never had to recenter every time I move. I only have to do that if I make a major change to my sitting position. So I never had problems keeping it consistency even when a move from neutral position unless I make a very wide movement like jointing my arm up to my face.

So again, not sure what you're doing. Especially if you're using wide movements a lot that knocked you out of your neutral position. Even disregarding Splatoon, I never had this issue with motion controls and that includes DOOM, Fornite, Paladin, Breath of the Wild, Warframe, and even Skyward Sword. If anything, the problems I have with a lot of motion controls games is that they're not sensitive enough even when I put them on max settings.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, which is why you make sure you're in a comfortable position before re-center. It really isn't different from another other controller.

As for the 'You can't hold it however you want without re-centering again.', given that this is a button press, it's no more annoying that pressing the jump button in a game. I also never had to recenter every time I move. I only have to do that if I make a major change to my sitting position. So I never had problems keeping it consistency even when a move from neutral position unless I make a very wide movement like jointing my arm up to my face.

So again, not sure what you're doing. Especially if you're using wide movements a lot that knocked you out of your neutral position. Even disregarding Splatoon, I never had this issue with motion controls and that includes DOOM, Fornite, Paladin, Breath of the Wild, Warframe, and even Skyward Sword. If anything, the problems I have with a lot of motion controls games is that they're not sensitive enough even when I put them on max settings.
What I'm doing is not using Splatoon motion controls because I don't like having to keep my controller in a specific position while I play.

Which is exactly what I said in my first post. You replied with "well I never have to do that" before explaining through a series of posts exactly how you have to do that. You just don't find it to be a deal breaker. I do. Which is why I posted what I did. Obviously.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it being the standard for VR, where it actually works well and complements the experience.

Anything else though? I don't think so. I think there should be a choice in most situations. Not everyone wants to always be doing motions for everything. Sometimes you just want to sit down and relax after work. Furthermore if they were the standard for normal games, even with the current more improved tracking tech, I still think we'd end up getting games with Wii tier controls, just because motion controls are hard to do well, and easy to do wrong if you're trying to force them in.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
What I'm doing is not using Splatoon motion controls because I don't like having to keep my controller in a specific position while I play.

Which is exactly what I said in my first post. You replied with "well I never have to do that" before explaining through a series of posts exactly how you have to do that. You just don't find it to be a deal breaker. I do. Which is why I posted what I did. Obviously.

How many times are you changing positions and how drastic they are? Since even when I moved around, I rarely if ever have to re-adjust the camera. I only have to do it if I suddenly make a giant motion like, controller going from my lap to my face to scratch my nose, and even with those giant movements, I still don't have to push Y on Splatoon. I just do it out of habit just like how I press Y before a match starts out of habit.

Which is why I was confused about what exactly are you doing? Especially to the point that you have to turn the motion controls off. I mean, my niece who moves around like crazy and almost never play games sitting down doesn't never pushed the Y button to adjust the camera once she got her default position set.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
As many as I goddamn want, sometimes drastically.

"Rarely if ever" =/= "Never"

Please stop.

Except it's so rare that I honestly don't remember doing it except in the first Splatoon and getting used to Splatoon 2 during the first weeks that wasn't force of habit even when I didn't have to. I put 'rarely' since I don't like to talk in absolutes.

As for your movements, not sure what to say since I've never seen anyone move around that much doing game play except my nieces and they don't readjust the camera. And those that I have heard do such big movements all the time just lowering the motion control sensitivity, never just outright turned them off for that reason.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
What about disabled gamers? I have Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and would hate playing games that force me to use motion controls. Perhaps, adding an option would be nice but as standard that feels like a step back for accessibility in the medium. Gyro is decent but will be a pain. Sony and Microsoft would be stupid to make it standard.
Same thought. It's bad enough that we have contemporary Nintendo games that require unnecessary waggle (gens after the Wii) for optimal play, like Super Mario Odyssey. If motion controls become a standard, I hope the console manufacturers are very mindful with good accessibility options.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except it's so rare that I honestly don't remember doing it except in the first Splatoon and getting used to Splatoon 2 during the first weeks that wasn't force of habit even when I didn't have to. I put 'rarely' since I don't like to talk in absolutes.

As for your movements, not sure what to say since I've never seen anyone move around that much doing game play except my nieces and they don't readjust the camera. And those that I have heard do such big movements all the time just lowering the motion control sensitivity, never just outright turned them off for that reason.
If you reply to me again I'm putting you on ignore.

I originally said "Even gyro stuff like Splatoon 2 requires you to keep your controller level most of the time."

You replied that you never have to do that. Then admitted that you do have to do it at the beginning of a match. Then clarified that "once you find a comfortable position" you don't have to move, somehow missing the fact that "finding the comfortable position and not having to move" is exactly what the fuck I was talking about.

Cut the bullshit already.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
If it's default off, nobody will give it a chance
Iwata actually talked about this years ago when explaining the decision to make the Gamepad mandatory on Wii U. Relegating new ideas to an option in a menu (or God forbid a separate peripheral) tends to discourage people from trying it, regardless of how good or bad it might be. And it also can speak to the company's confidence in the product.

All in all I support options in controls because of folks with disabilities, and the occasional environment/preference where motion might not be optimal, but I've never been too keen on how a lot of the pushback seems much more rooted in a resistance to change and a desire to have one's perferences prioritized than anything.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't play F/TPS without gyro/IR/mouse aiming. I literally can't. I lack the coordination to move the character with one stick and at the same time aiming around with other. The Wii made an entire genre playable to me and I'm 100% on board to gyro-standard. If you don't like them fine, you can disable them, but at least made an option for people like me.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
No. I go to the gym if I want to move and exercise. After a long day I want to sit down and play a game without flailing my arms like a headless chicken. Also, the genres I play wouldn't work well with motion controls.

Ninjatogo

Oct 28, 2017
I never had an issue with gyro controls when they first started appearing, but I never really got to use them much until I got a Vita and tried games like Uncharted:GA and Killzone, then I started to see the benefit it can add. It wasn't until I got a Switch and Splatoon 2, that I truly realized how amazing it can be when done right. I mean, it is truly a game changer with how much faster and more accurate it lets you be play compared to sticks. There's also the fact that I don't have to deal with finger cramps maneuvering the sticks for long periods, it's much more comfortable.

When I first joined Splatoon 2 online mode (gyro disabled), I played against people of similar player rank to me and my scores were not great; after I switched to gyro aiming, the matchmaker started putting me against people significantly higher rank than me. Surprisingly, I top the match scoreboards almost every round, still up against high rank players, and I don't think that's because I'm a more skilled player, the controls really do help.

For those of you still burned by the Wii, try something newer with a good motion control implementation (Splatoon 2).
You don't have to waggle or flair your arms, or even put much effort into it, just move your wrist.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing Splatoon 2 a bit before God of War came out for a good while. When i played God of War i tried moving the controller when aiming where to throw the axe because i assumed that it would work. When nothing happened i was pretty bummed, aiming with the sticks is crap and it will always be crap. Sony needs to incorporate gyro aiming in all of their first party games as an option.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how many people remember that the PS3 sixaxis had motion controls