• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tofaro28

Dec 17, 2018
At E3 2016, it was officially announced that the franchise would be coming back, after several rumors. At the event, the character's presence on Skylanders was announced, his first appearance in years. But my disappointment was not for Skylanders, but for N. Sane Trilogy...

At PSX 2016, N. Sane Trilogy was announced, I was disappointed, it seems that the remake seems to be more bland than the original ones.

The character models are different, a little weird to be honest. Why Crash face got so weird? Why his sneakers are so red? Why he's hairy? Why they put an annoying cords on his shorts?

The graphics are kind of "bipolar", sometimes they look pretty, but sometimes, it seems simple, something like a low budget...

That beautiful font that had on the PS1 era didn't return...

Another point I want to mention is about voice cast. Since it would be remake of old games, one might think that some old voice actors could return. But.... nah... It was basically the same voice actors of the Titans/Mutant era, or almost. For example, it would be difficult Brendan O Brien (Whoa!) To return, the guy just disappeared, but they couldn't at least try Clancy Brown???

Regarding the soundtrack, I still think the original one is better, and yes, another thing that disappointed is that Josh Mancell was not present in the remake, not even to remade the ost or to remix. I heard it was to save money... Save money... Seriously Activision???

The fact that Crash appeared in Uncharted 4, that is, returned in NAUGHTY DOG game (!!!) even cameo appearance, expected anything more...

It is fair to say that Reignited Trilogy and Nitro Fueled are being made with more dedication, but these games also had flaws which was unpleasant.

With those experiences I've had, I just can't get carried away by a new game ... To be honest, I don't even want to have a new game, I'm glad Sony relaunches PS1 games like HD Port or backwards compatibility... It's really bad when you wait for something for many years, and when it arrives, it's something you don't like...

Finally, an image where it all began…

DC1Blo.jpg

Sorry for bad english...

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame the remakes and CTR didn't speak to you, but as someone who played through Crash 1 through 3 a bunch when I was younger I thought they were fantastic. Things change with time and I'm sure some person got a chance to play this series for the first time through these re-releases and loved them to death.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I kinda like how Crash looks in the Switch versions since he's closer to the original due to no fur.

But no, this is quite possibly the best comeback I could've wished for. Can't really blame Activision for not giving the first remakes a big budget, no way they foresaw the 10+ million copies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I sympathize with the fur complaint at least. It looks wrong on Crash, like giving Sonic fur. Oh wait.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Really? I am a huge Crash fan, and I am so happy and love the remakes. Their's a few quirks, but N. Sane trilogy's graphics no where look "low budget". The game can be down right gorgeous at times. CTR Nitro Fueled looks even better, and I am so happy to see the franchise back, and selling really well. Also, if you think Crash's modern face looks weird...what did you think of the designs past NaughtyDog?

I understand the disappointment regarding the OST in N. Sane Trilogy. I am glad that Josh Mancell was brought back for CTR Nitro Fueled, as well as the original soundtrack being an option. I do wish they would patch in the original OST for the N. Sane Trilogy. Also, regarding the VA's, the older cast may not have been present or willing, especially some of the OG cast. Crash Bandicoot released 23 years ago.

I am very happy to have Crash back, and I cannot wait to see what Vicarious and/or Bennox do for a Crash sequel.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't dissapointed. I think it's an incredibly faithful remake....but that just made me feel kind of...indifferent. I never saw crash as a particualrly noteworthy franchise in the first place. And to hear they were were remaking them faithfully was just...meh. No interest for me. I would have preferred a reimagining that was brought more up to date tbh.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the remakes so far, much higher quality than I was expecting given the state of the franchise. They did a good job bringing Crash back as a modern series, so I'm curious to see how the first original game goes.

As far as aesthetics, I feel like they nailed them on the Crash series. Some characters are more alive here than they ever were on the PS1. Spyro has a couple questionable design changes, but they didn't impact my enjoyment of returning to those games.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The new designs are good overall and very true to the Originals.
The Artstyle could probably be better, but I like the look overall and the pretty stuff is really pretty. At worst it's maybe a bit generic and that's it imo.
But I'm gonna say that I prefer the old mad scientist Cortex to the new babyfaved version

200px-Neo-cortex-crash-bandicoot-2.jpg

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Post some great Crash Bandicoot/Josh Mancell music you guys

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
I've never played the original Crash games, so I don't think I get much of a voice in this particular argument... but I've really enjoyed them as a way to introduce myself to some classic titles I've never played and they look stunning to someone who doesn't hold any nostalgia about the originals. They have some antiquated level design and mechanics at times, but that's just being developed in the 90s. Some parts of the original Crash Bandicoot are maddeningly designed and some of the later games incorporate less enjoyable mechanics, that's about it. I feel like most of the flaws of the remakes are just the flaws of the originals, which are more recognizable 20 years later and without the benefit of "for the time."

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness gracious, this OT is like a retrofitted tape record (this is a gross oversimplification, so its not exactly representative, don't take it as such) of what a few hardcore fans say about this revival and I'm frankly so tired of hearing it almost all the damn time, it got old very quickly and I do not have the energy to repeat myself over and over about this subject. And if you think that I'm trying to deny the issues that this revival had so far, you're mistaken.

Anyways, here's what I think could hold some water about a new game, leaked character concepts from Toys for Bob from August 2019 (they're likely assisting VV). I'm cautiously optimistic, despite recent events...

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The remastered music in the trilogy was hit or miss for me. The OST for Crash 1 was great overall. The first half of Crash 2's OST was also great but the second half was disappointingly mediocre (R.I.P. bear chase music). Crash 3's OST was garbage, with some exceptions like the underwater theme.

OP
OP
tofaro28

tofaro28

Dec 17, 2018
Goodness gracious, this OT is like a retrofitted tape record (this is a gross oversimplification, so its not exactly representative, don't take it as such) of what a few hardcore fans say about this revival and I'm frankly so tired of hearing it almost all the damn time, it got old very quickly and I do not have the energy to repeat myself over and over about this subject. And if you think that I'm trying to deny the issues that this revival had so far, you're mistaken.

Anyways, here's what I think could hold some water about a new game, leaked character concepts from Toys for Bob from August 2019 (they're likely assisting VV). I'm cautiously optimistic, despite recent events...

I saw that
Welp, I preferred the "base original team" back, but it sure is almost impossible.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I get nitpicking with some factors (which you're doing all over this thread, basically), but I don't think there's any reason to return to the original games other than nostalgia to me. N. Sane Trilogy is great and the quality of life improvements (especially in Crash 1) is a thing that I can't live without anymore.. and I say that after beating the original several times at this point.

the voice acting though, I really like the new cast introduced since Twinsanity/Tag Team Racing; Lex Lang, for me, is best Cortex hands down and he's been in more games than others, so its iconic.

Vicarious Visions was proven worth of doing original Crash stuff since the GBA days; N. Sane Trilogy just showed they nail even the original games design and atsmosphere (and Future Tense is just great original content). I say bring it the new game!

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The remakes were so good they make fans out of people like me, people who never played a Crash game before.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I love N. Sane but I won't deny that it does give off a "low budget" feel in some instances and it is a bit artistically stunted. I won't fault that on the developers because decisions like the budget, music and voices are made way above their paygrade. That's all the publisher's doing.

You're probably asking why Spyro managed to do the exact opposite by getting the likes of Stewart Copeland and Tom Kenny back, simply put: Spyro got more money than Crash. I think the thing to consider here is that Activision had fuck all confidence with the Crash revival; less money pumped into it, little to no marketing spend, it was a literal risk for them. Once they saw that Crash was a hit and sold WAY above their projections, they wanted to double that success by putting more into Spyro (as much as I disagree with this) to see if it'll do better than Crash (spoiler: it obviously didn't).

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The worst thing about this game is that i cant play it at all on pc. Lots of people have problems with it and i´m one of those who can´t even boot the damn thing. My total playtime on steam is 17 minutes and that´s all the time i spent just trying to boot it. A big middlefinger to those who deny us a patch!

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about this game is that i cant play it at all on pc. Lots of people have problems with it and i´m one of those who can´t even boot the damn thing. My total playtime on steam is 17 minutes and that´s all the time i spent just trying to boot it. A big middlefinger to those who deny us a patch!

I have the PC version of the game on my laptop, maybe I could try helping you fix the issue, is it related to the resolution? or is it something else?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I get nitpicking with some factors (which you're doing all over this thread, basically), but I don't think there's any reason to return to the original games other than nostalgia to me. N. Sane Trilogy is great and the quality of life improvements (especially in Crash 1) is a thing that I can't live without anymore.. and I say that after beating the original several times at this point.

the voice acting though, I really like the new cast introduced since Twinsanity/Tag Team Racing; Lex Lang, for me, is best Cortex hands down and he's been in more games than others, so its iconic.

Vicarious Visions was proven worth of doing original Crash stuff since the GBA days; N. Sane Trilogy just showed they nail even the original games design and atsmosphere (and Future Tense is just great original content). I say bring it the new game!
Future Tense isn't original it's using assets and designs designed by someone else and rearranged into a new layout.

Anyway I like the trilogy but the hit detection was definitely different.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry these didn't resonate with you very well, OP. I actually didn't play the originals quite a lot when I was younger. I rented the first one once or twice, played the second one a bit more due to a friend, and never touched the third. I was always more into games like Wipeout and Final Fantasy around that era, so this collection felt like a way for me to finally scratch off a few titles that I felt I missed out on, and was a wonderful way in doing so. I'm really thankful for the remakes, as I doubt I'd have ever played through 'em otherwise, outside of perhaps dabbling in a classics re-release.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I loooved going back to Crash and Spyro. CTR was fine too, though I prefer the original there :/

Really, really curious seeing how they approach brand new entries. Spyro could work as is, but do they continue with original Crash? I love those, but iunno how he fits into the modern landscape in that form.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Hey, if you're gonna criticize N.Sane Trilogy, you should definitely mention pill-shaped hitboxes on Crash's/Coco's shoes, that make them slide of a goddamn platform if you happen to land (emphasis on "land") close enough to the edge of it.
*too much hairy, ok? lol
One particular downgrade in the Switch version would be to your liking, I believe.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Your problem OP is that the N.Sane Trilogy remakes aren't just competing with the original games; they're competing with your idealized feelings and memories of the original games.

That's a fight that even the best developer in the world could never win.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I dont want to sound rude OP, but ill be honest, as a person who was never on the hype train for Crash coming back and was actively dreading it due to Activision being activision and nothing outside of the initial Naughty Dog trilogy actually having any real impact on me, your being overly hyperbolic and silly about the remasters/remake trilogy. Vicarious Visions put a lot of effort into those games and it clearly shows despite the nitpicks you mention

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it was disappointment so much as 20 year old game design not holding up.
There's some stuff that is pretty annoying, especially in Crash 1, but I feel like the games are still pretty good today. A real shame they didn't make it 60fps on consoles as their footage implied. At 60fps the games feel better than ever on PC.