• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Rockstar's focus on cinematic narrative popped ever since after San Andreas where they stopped player improvisation and choice in how to tackle an objective. Maybe they got offended that people were finding ways around doing certain missions easier by messing around and wanted to dictate to players what they should do so it all stays cinematic and the same tone, I would imagine. So they have you with the gun they used in the cutscene and not your regular weapon or other scripted transitions. That's why they have the invisible railroad when you're following other characters and if you go off the beaten path to improvise, they create in-world excuses for why you should stick to the path. Until they create workarounds or systems to handle improvisation like in immersive sims or even respect audiences to allow them to have their own fun, they seem stuck in this hyper-linear outdated mission design.

It's more likely that they want to both push for a tight narrative and also make main missions easier to test and develop by removing basically all player control over their approach. The game engine in RDR2 is perfectly capable of letting the player approach things as they please based on how it all works just fine outside missions.

I hope GTA 6 will allow for more freeform approach to execution because that is a lot more fun than the forced handhelding of 5 and RDR2.

I also really hope they make a separate online game this time around because I loathe loading gigabytes of patches for online content that I will never see in SP because I don't give a damn about their shitty online mode.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Rockstar's focus on cinematic narrative popped ever since after San Andreas where they stopped player improvisation and choice in how to tackle an objective. Maybe they got offended that people were finding ways around doing certain missions easier by messing around and wanted to dictate to players what they should do so it all stays cinematic and the same tone, I would imagine. So they have you with the gun they used in the cutscene and not your regular weapon or other scripted transitions. That's why they have the invisible railroad when you're following other characters and if you go off the beaten path to improvise, they create in-world excuses for why you should stick to the path. Until they create workarounds or systems to handle improvisation like in immersive sims or even respect audiences to allow them to have their own fun, they seem stuck in this hyper-linear outdated mission design.
Yea,it is a bit odd that their huge open world games are not at all open when it comes to how you engage with the missions in them.Saying that,not all games need to be the same and if they want everything to have that cinematic look and feel then I can understand why things are designed like they are.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
nah, i think they should continue to make crass jokes about how shitty America is. go all in even harder than before.

i mean.. why let America off the hook now?

vypermajik

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
i did not like Arthur. He was a villain and a murderer and I felt zero sympathy for him. The world was brimming but bloated. The game couldn't stop loving itself and the story was far too long. I like detailed worlds but I also like progress. The story droned on way too long.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I absolutely agree with OP. I would (and will) be very disappointed in GTA6 if it wipes away all the progress in presence and structure that RDR2 displayed. With all its infuriating flaws, it's a definite milestone for the medium and something that only a studio with the ressources of Rockstar can achieve.

I don't have much hope though, as GTA5 was already a disappointment on this front.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Feel GTA4 is more similar to RDR2 and it's much better than GTA5. I also hope they adopt the sim like aspects of RDR2 and expand on them.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
In terms of its narrative. My personal feelings are that the GTA series as a satire of America is played out since real life America has pretty much exceeded the level of cartoonishness in the GTA series.

RDR2 was such a breath of fresh air. I genuinely did not expect that level of depth and complexity to the story, it's characters, and it's themes. It's meditation on morality, the sum of a person's actions during their life, the transition from one era of America to another was so well done, all anchored by a protagonist that simultaneously reflected aspects of the player, but was also a strong driven character in its own right caught in a period of self reflection as his world essentially collapses around him. The game's structure felt more like a television series or long epic novel instead of a film stretched out over a ridiculous run time as previous GTA games felt like. Structurally and narratively, RDR2 is Rockstar's strongest piece of work in their portfolio.

I hope that GTA6 continues in this direction of being able to tell a bombastic, action driven story, set in a living world, but like RDR2, it has something to say about human nature and the world vs just making crass jokes about how shitty America is. It's definitely something they experimented with in the underrated GTA IV and it's immigrant story (which I personally thought had great concepts but the actual execution wasn't as strong. GTA V on the other hand I thought had weak narrative bones but was executed well enough in a fun soapy over the top direction).

I really hope you dont include gameplay/mission structure/controls into that because RDR2 was a total slog due to its "simulation" elements.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I really hope they go for it.
I know people like to yell "but muh gameplay" and "but muh fun", but for me personally, GTA IV was the best GTA. So yes. Let's do it.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I think a lot depends on the city (or state) they choose.

I mean, if they make another "Vice City" I doubt it will be okay with a serious atmosphere.
GTA V was crazy, I agree, but I liked it.
However I think "way too serious" is not the right place for a GTA.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
It will depend which crime movie they want to copy. If they go for an Infernal Affairs inspired game, it would be great to have the same kind of RDR2 narrative strenght.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
RDR2 was an intentionally un-fun, fart sniffing, self indulgent bloated mess. I liked aspects of the narrative and the overall atmosphere but fuck GTA6 if it takes the same route.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I personally love the control in RDR2
Don't forget that this forum is an alternate universe where RDR2 was a divisive title. You get bonus points for taking potshots.

On topic, I think I'd like to see what you suggested as well. I'm personally more invested in seeing a more controlled online than the hellscape we have now, but a more narrative, powerful single player experience would be great. They have the writers for it.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writing and story in RDR2 was actually really weak IMO, but it was disguised as a good story because of the presentation, graphics, good unscripted moments in camp, and the stellar voice acting.

However I would love for GTA 6 to be as dynamic as RDR2, by being able to interact with anyone, and I can imagine a similar structure to the camp by having a safehouse with other organized crime members or something.

The problem with these series taking themselves so seriously is that the gameplay/immersion goes out the window the moment the story is just like "okay we lost the cops, let's go back and rob another store!". They gotta find a way to make it less obvious.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Sure it has one of the best Rockstar narratives, but that in itself isn't some grand accomplishment lol

GTA has never really been that. I'd rather have something fun to play instead of a game that focuses on immersion above anything else.
I can't see myself going back to RDR2 after completing it. The missions and gameplay don't hold up after the first time around.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead series is well about Redemption
GTA is just a bunch of assholes.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How about no? GTA is one of the few comedic series we have.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
GTA is at its best when its over the top and goofy. Make it arcady like PS2 trilogy. Put hovercrafts and jet packs back into the game.

It's why GTA IV was the worst of the series when it ditched a lot of stuff that made San Andreas the GOAT.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Story wise I don't care which way they go. But, I hope it's not filled with micromanaging like RDR2.

Oh, and no more crappy characters like Trevor.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I think there is a middle ground.

Which is zany but not mean spirited. Or Mean-spirited with a clear point.

Oct 29, 2017
The writing and story in RDR2 was actually really weak IMO, but it was disguised as a good story because of the presentation, graphics, good unscripted moments in camp, and the stellar voice acting.

However I would love for GTA 6 to be as dynamic as RDR2, by being able to interact with anyone, and I can imagine a similar structure to the camp by having a safehouse with other organized crime members or something.

The problem with these series taking themselves so seriously is that the gameplay/immersion goes out the window the moment the story is just like "okay we lost the cops, let's go back and rob another store!". They gotta find a way to make it less obvious.

What about the writing and story was weak?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No thanks.

A huge part of GTA's charm is in its satire and focus on over the top humorous action, characters, and portrayal of Americana. Red Dead Redemption as a more serious IP is fantastic and should remain its own thing.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
From a narrative standpoint, sure. But literally nothing else. Game is extremely boring for actual character-controlling gameplay.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I just want a realistic-ish action game in modern America.
Give me Jason Bourne/Heat/Collateral vibes, not Fast and Furious/Family Guy like GTA V

I doubt I'll get what I want tho

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell who played the console version versus the PC version based on their comments on the controls. I completely agree OP anything less from Rockstars next game would a step back after RDR2.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I don't think it would work tonally. Red Dead is all about melancholic, deeply personal narratives set to the backdrop of a changing America that is leaving the protagonist behind. GTA is all about HAHAHA BOOBJOBS GET IT?? SATIRE™

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I hope not. I love the humour of GTA games, but more important it must be as sandbox as is GTA5. RDR2 as a sandbox game was pretty disappointing.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it needs to be a mix of the two. GTAV's satire was toned down compared to the previous entries and I hope for VI they still have it, just leave that more so for a lot of the side missions while keeping the main story a bit more serious. There's a way to do it well and they can pull it off. It would also make people wanna go through the side missions given it's a different feeling compared to the main missions. Basically I'm saying that they can do both.

I just wonder what the story will be for VI because based on how previous entries have been, they gotta freshen it up.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Most of GTA's charm is in its satire and parody of Americana. To me RDR2 had a much more memorable and in a way better story, but I still wouldn't want GTA to go the same way. I also didn't like RDR2's controls too much, but still the realism in animations etc adds so much to the game imo.

I guess if GTA 6 would take something from Red Dead, it should have some of that realism while still retaining some arcadey parts, minus the social sim elements of course. They just need to find some middle-ground between GTA and RDR and make the controls just more responsive in general without losing the fidelity in animations and everything. Just look at TLOU2, industry-leading animations where the game will definitely still control great.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
RDR2 has a ton of polish, but I found everything outside of the last 10 hours or so of the game to be very tedious from a narrative perspective. Too much of that game felt like "Henchman protagonist that has interesting observations about his circumstances and astute things to say continues to do henchman things for 25-30 hours," and I found that aspect to grow irritating after a while. There were missions I'd undertake that I thought would be pivotal points of change in Arthur's attitude, only to find that the mission after it I was back to doing henchman shit. It's like seeing a character who has the potential to do more, but doesn't until the final stretch of the game.

I also don't need my GTA to be as serious as RDR2. I think they just need to get better writers to make the comedy and satire more incisive and less dumb. But I absolutely do not want that level of "sim" in GTA, nor do I need my characters to be as meditative. I felt like I was still learning gameplay mechanics 3-4 hours into that game.