• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want Rockstar to change how you run in their games?

• Yes, it's bad and annoys me.

Votes: 311 78.5%
  • No, I like how it is.

Votes: 37 9.3%
  • Don't care.

Votes: 48 12.1%

• Total voters

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Even though there are seemingly options to change it, this is one of the reasons I haven't picked up RDR2 yet.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
They need to overhaul the entirety of the controls. They have always been bad and the maddening thing is it's on purpose.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I'm tired of dumb controls hindering or sometimes ruining my experience with a game. Rockstar games in general always do strange things with controls...Max Max still takes the cake though. What a clusterfuck of a control scheme in an otherwise awesome game...I want to play it but the controls completely ruin it for me. Just make accessible, completely configurable controls.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna blow all of your minds.

You can change it to a toggle. You don't need to tap A repeatedly.

BOOM

In RDR2 my run is tied to L3 and I click it once to initiate running like every other game.

The game has an absurd amount of alternate/custom control options. You don't need to stick with the default. So to answer the thread title, they already did.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

BOOM

In RDR2 my run is tied to L3 and I click it once to initiate running like every other game.

The game has an absurd amount of alternate/custom control options. You don't need to stick with the default. So to answer the thread title, they already did.
"This post won't stop me from continuing to use and complain about the default controls, because I can't read"

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada

BOOM

None of which apply to the horse.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
None of which apply to the horse.
True but if you read the first page and never played these games, you'd think that both RDR2 and GTA V play exactly like GTA IV without any control options or alternatives whatsoever

I've been beating this drum for half a decade here and at the old site fwiw; I def play it up for humor's sake but I really am consistently shocked by the fact that so many GTA and RDR players on Era don't seem to know that the options they want (horse gallop controls nonwithstanding) have actually been a part of Rockstar's games for a while

...of course there's one aspect of these options I tend to avoid talking about, because I'm never sure that I'm remembering correctly... someone correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't GTA V one of those games where clicking L3 (when using FPS controls) lets you sprint... but HOLDING L3 lets you sprint even faster? And I'm pretty sure that shit is hated even more than mashing A/X...

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's bad, but so is everything about how their games control on foot. Almost everything anyway.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
it's horrible for accessibility and i strongly cosign this.

signed, my horribly deteriorating tendons

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I like having granular control over the different speeds at which forward movement is done, but it can be established without the need to mash buttons:
  1. Analogue stick sensitivity stages from 0 to 100 to determine incremental stage 1 speed in held direction
  2. Holding Stick for Direction and taping button to go to stage 2 speed
  3. Holding Stick for Direction and holding button to go to stage 3 speed
  4. Holding Stick for Direction and double tapping and holding button to go to stage 4 speed

Thankfully their control options tend to be pretty thorough so some of the common pain points can be aleviated, but they could stand to tweak default control scheme and better explain some of the control options