• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'm all for people siding against Blizzard and their fake ass apology.

But right now, we have the opportunity to vote on Tuesday. I don't even care who you vote for, just do it. I'm Latino/Muslim, born and raised in New York City and very liberal. It is very easy to say "fuck Blizzard" but how many people decry one issue and do nothing else? It's easy to vote with your wallet but we also know that doesn't always work. It's popular to attack Blizzard right now but we can see from BlizzCon that already there are people forgetting about the punishment in the face of Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, or WoW's latest expansion. Fine, all we can really do is not buy Blizzard games. Voting, however, has a very real consequence.

"Gamers Should Be Voting, So Why Aren't We?", this is from Matt Miller of Game Informer.

When considering the latest game release, many players excitedly discuss the opportunities for interactive engagement in their latest purchase. Did you go renegade or paragon? Did you roll a paladin or mage? Which party members did you take into the final encounter? We're fascinated by the chance to express a choice, and see that decision reflected in the resulting scenario. And yet, if we're to believe demographic data, when it comes to expressing choices at real-life polls in the United States, much of the game-playing public simply doesn't show up.

At this point in the history of the medium, gamers come from every walk of life and every age group. But among adults, the percentage of engaged gamers still skews toward the younger end of the spectrum. In a 2017 Pew Research Center study, 60 percent of Americans between 18 and 29 said they played games regularly (that drops a bit to 53 percent of those between 30 and 49). Compare that with the last midterm voting cycle from 2014; the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement found that only 19.9 percent of people aged 18 to 29 voted in that election. While we don't know the exact overlap between those statistics, the numbers certainly suggest that the same people playing the most games are the people casting the fewest votes.

pleasevote.jpg

According to the Entertainment Software Association, 59% of gamers are certain they will vote. 37% of gamers identify as democrat. I like to think Era is pretty liberal. We agree women should be better portrayed in games, minorities shouldn't just be your typical enemy, or more importantly I feel we can see something like the Hong Kong protests and agree with them. I say we because I do think of Era as a community. People argue about Sony first party games coming to PC, Outer Worlds and Fallout comparison or whatever but I don't worry about people here talking shit about Mexicans or other Central Americans being put into concentration camps or supporting Trump pulling troops and allowing the Kurds to be massacred.

More than half of U.S. adults are video gamers ... and most will vote in 2020

There is far more data shared in the links from Mashable. Some from Pew Research which details the way other races are voting and in what number.

Direct link to Pew Research.

B This increase in the Millennial voter turnout rate is not only because the generation has grown older (older voters vote at higher rates than younger voters), but also due to a higher turnout rate among its youngest members: 45.2% of 20- to 24-year-olds voted in 2016,

More and more, younger people are voting. I am 27 now. I vote every election I can and will be come Election Day. I hope others will too. It's one thing to say fuck Blizzard but it is also just as important to vote for leaders who don't spew hate against minorities, believe in helping those more unfortunate than us, and want to try and help our planet heal from all the damage that has been done to it. The thing I hate the most are people saying they don't vote because nothing changes or believed that voting Trump was the lesser of two evils.

If you can vote in your state, go out and do it. Elections matter at all levels.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Vote on what, where.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get you OP. Lots of people here talk big and I'm willing to bet many here don't back it up with action. I early voted.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't live in your country man.

It's a nice sentiment but you shouldn't forget this is an international website.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I'm from Europe so I'm not eligble, but believe me when I say I use my right to vote on every election happening here.

It's our duty to vote for the change we want to see.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhh I'm all for voting and all for shitting on Blizzard but I have no clue what both of those have to do with each other.

Deleted member 7044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): editing post to add hostility towards staff after receiving a warning
America is the entire world thread #3562

Edit: thanks to the dickhead mod who gave me a warning for this post before renaming the thread to include 'US' in it. Fucking dump lmao

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe nothing, maybe I'm just trying to make a point that people would rather meme their way into something instead of actually using what little power we have to make change.

I mean yeah there are plenty of things that are just the flavor of the week that a lot of people aren't going to really stick to and honestly I hope a lot of people actually stick to their guns and don't buy Overwatch 2 or Diablo and continue to stick it to Blizzard until they actually implement policy changes. I really have my doubts though. Personally I'm doing what I can about the Blizzard situation by swearing off all Activision Blizzard games.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No it shouldn't. I think you raise a valid point that could apply to more than just America.

People love to moan online and never actually do anything, this is not unique to the US and your message that those who care should also care enough to vote is something worth spreading beyond the US.

Those who ignored the message and just wanted to focus on your wording are being pedantic.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest and say I know fuck all about what's happening locally. I honestly care more about HK than I do my own town.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't live in your country man.

It's a nice sentiment but you shouldn't forget this is an international website.

If you realize it's not relevant to you, it'd probably be more productive to move along rather than scold the OP for something petty. I'm fairly certain anyone reading knew what time it was when the OP brought up NY.

That aside, I'll definitely be voting along with my wife.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
No it shouldn't. I think you raise a valid point that could apply to more than just America.

People love to moan online and never actually do anything, this is not unique to the US and your message that those who care should also care enough to vote is something worth spreading beyond the US.

Those who ignored the message and just wanted to focus on your wording are being pedantic.

I agree but I was being specific about the date because it is something we can do now not in 4 or 5 years when Blizzard might actually release their games. But I do agree with your comment. I feel people would rather post on social media since it is more noticeable.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any elections in my state/area Tuesday so if it all the same to you, I'm just going to work.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Vote on what, where.
What's happening on Tuesday?
Uhhhhh I'm all for voting and all for shitting on Blizzard but I have no clue what both of those have to do with each other.

Is this thread a year early
Local voting is more important and happens way more often than every 4 years. Being ignorant isn't cute or cool. Be informed about your community mang. Make differences and participate.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So because it's not relevant to your area specifically, it shouldn't be here?

What is going on with posts like these in here?

In case you can't figure it out when your speak like your country is the default on international boards it's really obnoxious.

It's not so difficult to say "in America" when everyone else in the world can manage it for their country.

Consider this a smack of diversity in your face.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
In case you can't figure it out when your speak like your country is the default on international boards it's really obnoxious.

It's not so difficult to say "in America" when everyone else in the world can manage it for their country.

Consider this a smack of diversity in your face.

I agree it isn't difficult. It was merely a mistake on my part. The title has been changed. There is no need to be needlessly hostile.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Local voting is more important and happens way more often than every 4 years. Being ignorant isn't cute or cool. Be informed about your community mang. Make differences and participate.
There are many places where there is no election being held. There is no statewide election in California this year, for instance.

The ignorance is on the part of the OP, not the people who rightly are unsure what's being spoken of because there is no election happening where they live.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
There are many places where there is no election being held. There is no statewide election in California this year, for instance.

It's not ignorance when there's literally nothing happening on Tuesday.

I had a lapse in judgement. I've added someone's link to help whoever is interested find if they can vote and what is available to vote for.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh, I'm always down to vote but there aren't any elections going on in my area and I certainly haven't received any ballots recently.

Edit: Appreciate the sentiment, OP. Definitely do this again when we get to the primaries next year, please!