• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Distinguished thinkers and illuminated minds of the ERA High Council of Halloween:

meeting-united-nationmjjsz.jpg

With the recent addition of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest to Nintendo Switch Online, and in such close proximity to October, it occurred to me that this game is, in fact, a Halloween title, and should be celebrated as such during this spookiest of months.

dbkex4gwsaa9hdd9skti.jpg

In this game, the Kremlings have decided to cosplay as pirates. Think back to all of the pirate costumes you've seen at Halloween. It's a staple item wherever you find stores selling costumes, and it always has been, long before Jack Sparrow was a thing.

Here, the Kremlings have gotten into the Halloween spirit. The fact they're also crocodilian monsters makes this extra Halloween-y.

Now check out Crocodile Isle. What a foul place, with its gnarled dead trees and monster Mount Rushmore, rising from oily black water under a ghastly green sky!

dc9fdz8-f9a62e6a-743e-4f06-980f-913da56ef456.gif

Your adventure begins offshore, on a pirate galleon that is hardly airtight. The deck is crawling with rats, the hold is flooded with flesh-eating fish, and you ride a rattlesnake up rain-lashed riggings during a storm. Atop the highest mast you find a wicked vulture who, upon being slain, will later return as a vengeful spirit. But more on that in a moment!

Once you reach the island proper, you explore a hellish volcano that ends with a battle against a giant cutlass, possessed by an evil spirit, with a literal skull 'n crossbones at the hilt. Along the way you meet a googly-eyed spider that would blend in with the lawn decor of any Halloween-happy household:

kleever93ji7.png
squitterpng4ekyx.png

Then you proceed to a swampland shipwreck cemetery, followed by a dilapidated amusement park at night — the sort of place you would call home if you were a a killer clown or a curse-happy fortune teller.

The rollercoaster carts even look like this!

group_dkc2_12rdkxb.png

Oh, and there are monstrous bees here! BEES!

Should you survive, you climb higher up the mountain, arriving in Gloomy Gulch — a place that drops any pretense of DKC2 not being the perfect Halloween game.

group_dkc2_24rqkgs.png

Deep within Gloomy Gulch is a haunted mansion where you're pursued mercilessly by this foul specter:

kackle_01c1klr.png

And before you can leave Gloomy Gulch, you must first exorcise past demons:

05j4u.png

You go through all of that trouble, only to reach K. Rool's Keep — a deep, dark dungeon full of crushing walls, acid traps and other implements of torture:

group_dkc2_22gxj9w.png

group_dkc2_18cuj5z.png

In the end, you confront Kaptain K. Rool aboard the Flying Kroc, high in the foul green sky. He tumbles down Crocodile Isle into the ocean, where he is torn apart in a feeding frenzy of sharks.

But wipe away those crocodile tears, for he returns in spectral form in the Lost World. Here, you lay his spirit to rest for good, like the best Halloween flicks.

(Well, until he returns as Baron K. Roolenstein in DKC3, presumably resurrected by mad science. And don't tell me they're different dudes!)

The punctuation mark on your epic adventure is the sinking of Crocodile Isle, a place so irredeemably evil it now rots at the bottom of the sea.

e87.gif

So, what say you? Shall we recognize this as a fine Halloween title to play alongside our Amnesias and Luigi's Mansion 3s?

I shall close out with some sPoOkY music:

Last edited:

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Subscribed :<3

What a fantastically themed game. Everything is so distinct and memorable. Unlike more recent DKC attempts.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea! I haven't gotten around to playing DKC2 yet, I should try this Halloween!

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Well crafted OP, well done!

(Got to admit I have never played the second game or any of the sequels. Only the first one. Which I never finished. maybe one day)

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Just got a flashback to playing this on halloween night at the age of 7, and being up to the beehive level. This thread checks out.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
You didn't need a weird excuse to talk about DKC2 you know.

I was always partial to the Gloomy Gulch part of the game for it's atmosphere and also...

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I've never thought of it this way, it's was always more piratey that spooky for me but damn you're right, it does have a spooky theme going.

Also, I had never seen some of those renders before, thanks.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rare games often feel like they have a certain seasonal vibe to them.

I associate Diddy Kong Racing with Christmas.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
" In this game, the Kremlings have decided to cosplay as pirates"

what? they are pirates in the first game too.
and the cart levels on the first game gave me more nightmares than the second. dkc is the spoopy game, and i will take no other word for it.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
" In this game, the Kremlings have decided to cosplay as pirates"

what? they are pirates in the first game too.
and the cart levels on the first game gave me more nightmares than the second. dkc is the spoopy game, and i will take no other word for it.
They're themed after soldiers in the first game, with body armor, green helmets and camo fatigues. Look up Klump, Krusha, etc. The only pirate aspect was Gangplank Galleon at the very end.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Its fantastic.

But I would also consider Banjo Kazooie and Tooie as well.

Oldschool Rare was the best.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I appreciate the spirit of this.

I will abstain from voting... only because I got these games each Christmas, and thus am impartial because it was a time period vs. mood.

God speed.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Honored to be on this council and will cast my vote in favor of this motion. Though it had not occured to me before, I must say your argument convinced me.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Gamexplain has something special planned for the 25th anniversary like they did with DKC last year.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this, but I do know that this thread has given me a strong urge to replay DKC2. I haven't since 2011 or 2012.

So thanks, TC.

May 16, 2018
I don't understand how some people don't think these games aged well. I played DKC2 for the first time about two years ago and loved it. I'm glad it's on NSO for those who haven't gotten a chance to play yet.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This idea is genius! Never thought about it, but DKC2 does seem to fit the spirit of Halloween. Incredibly strong atmosphere and sense of world, and going through the villain's lair leads to a ton of spooky environments from the swamp to haunted halls to a castle.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. DKC2's tone is perfect for Halloween, yet at no point does it specifically reference Halloween. Its strange that I've never considered this before.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree OP. DKC2 is the game that best fits Halloween out of the OG trilogy. That said, all three games are pretty atmospheric and can have spoopy moments.

I mean, who wasn't freaked out by the Stop & Go level in DKC1? In addition to those freaky kremlings, you got a dark ambient track playing in the background.

The music for the water levels in DKC3 also sounds like something that came out from the Mariana Trench of Hell.

oh this should be good