• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I'm on the same page. And it's honestly a shame, I love to play on Switch, just relax on my bed with headphones and playing in handheld mode. But man, it's so much cheaper to play on PC.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nah this is silly and you seem to be projecting your own view to others. Just because a person has two platforms, doesn't mean they don't want to save money on those platforms.

I'd prefer to play on Switch but playing on PC is just so much cheaper for me.

This comes off really fanboyish to be honest. Nobody here is saying Nintendo's doomed. People are simply talking about their experiences.

I'm confused. Talk seems to go back and forth between 3rd and first party games.
For first part, the prices don't come down much though there are occasional sales, but you already have people saying they only play Switch for first party releases. (iroinciually because prices are too expensive so they must mean 3rd party games) but at the same time others are just complainign generally about prices including first party.

More broadly, 3rd party prices are often the same as on Steam, or maybe $5-10 more, sales are plentiful and I just drop a game on my wishlis tand wait for it to go on sale. Call it what you want but if I can play a game on the go and it's a good port, it's going to be bought on Switch, either at full price if I really want it or want to support the devs or waiting for a sale. For many steam releases, it's now day and date on PC/Switch with no price difference anyways, so the conversaitons seems to be really narrowed around their first party releases and a select fee AAA games. Depending on who is complaining.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you may want to look into the Hori split pad controller. I don't have it, but there's no bad impressions about it whatsoever.

I have been looking into it too, but i commute a lot and there's almost no compatible cases, so i'm tuck with the Hori joycon (Wich isn't half-bad i must say, but i have no confidence on it since it uses the same sticks as the normal joycon, and i have alreaddy suffered the drift once)
I decided to use the credit we earned from Prime Day to buy the red ones, which ended up being about $25 shipped. They arrive tomorrow, so I hope they turn out to be pretty good. I don't care about things like rumble, gyro, NFC, etc., and I'm rarely far away from my charger, so hopefully the battery drain issue doesn't affect me too much. Fingers crossed. :)

Jun 2, 2019
I decided to use the credit we earned from Prime Day to buy the red ones, which ended up being about $25 shipped. They arrive tomorrow, so I hope they turn out to be pretty good. I don't care about things like rumble, gyro, NFC, etc., and I'm rarely far away from my charger, so hopefully the battery drain issue doesn't affect me too much. Fingers crossed. :)

I'm quite fond of the joycon rumble, but when push comes to shove, i can live without it.

If you remember to, please post your impressions when you feel like i, i'm in the fence of getting one and maybe i will, this holidays, but i need an extra push.

I hope they're good :)

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used it and now Hades released for it and I use it a lot. I don't really care for many of nintendo games. If hades was on another console (not PC), I wouldn't be playing it much.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
The "games are a luxury" posts remind me of the assholes that post that comic about how we can't avoid supporting bad practices in our capitalist society so why bother trying at all. Like, no shit games are a luxury. Did the OP say they weren't?

I'm having the same experience with my Switch. I'd love to buy Luigi's Mansion 3 but I can't justify the $95 price tag, same with Links Awakening and Paper Mario. It's just too much money for me and as a result, I haven't bought a Switch game since Animal Crossing(which was a complete waste of money) though I did get Allstars as a gift. My switch has become a Lumines and Into The Breach machine.

As games get closer to that $100 price tag I find myself buying way less than I used to, especially compared to last-gen where games were usually $59.99. It sure doesn't bode well for next-gen's price increase but at least I know if I wait for a little they will go on sale, unlike Nintendo games.

Dec 11, 2017
As a parent of two little ones, my time is really limited. The Switch has been a godsend in terms of adding small chunks of time in, particularly in bed before I hit the hay. I have quite a large library on it now, and would have completed more this year if my long commute wasn't killed off by COVID. That commute time suddenly became parenting while at home.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
So how are you going to feel about € 80 PS5/XBX games? :-) (assuming you buy at least some games Day 1)

Would say I'm not a fan of that either. At least I know 1) those games will go down in a few months and 2) Both MS and Sony have alternate ways of consuming their library of games (PSNow, PS+ Collection for Sony and Game Pass, XCloud, Xbox Gold for MS) as well as backwards compatibility now.

Props to Nintendo for having quality titles, but as a consumer, it limits my options.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
You buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games, the only reason you'd buy a Switch for 3rd party is if you play mainly portable. Otherwise it makes very little sense. If Nintendo's games aren't good enough for you and / or you don't play portable then sell the Switch, it's not for you. I don't understand why this is till a topic over 3 years since it came out.

This, tbh.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
yeah switch games are expensive as hell, however it can be sold pretty quickly comparing to PS4 games, also the price rarely drop

so sometime when i bought second hand games and after i finished it i can sell it again at the same price

riq

Feb 21, 2019
The "games are a luxury" posts remind me of the assholes that post that comic about how we can't avoid supporting bad practices in our capitalist society so why bother trying at all. Like, no shit games are a luxury. Did the OP say they weren't?

I'm having the same experience with my Switch. I'd love to buy Luigi's Mansion 3 but I can't justify the $95 price tag, same with Links Awakening and Paper Mario. It's just too much money for me and as a result, I haven't bought a Switch game since Animal Crossing(which was a complete waste of money) though I did get Allstars as a gift. My switch has become a Lumines and Into The Breach machine.

As games get closer to that $100 price tag I find myself buying way less than I used to, especially compared to last-gen where games were usually $59.99. It sure doesn't bode well for next-gen's price increase but at least I know if I wait for a little they will go on sale, unlike Nintendo games.
Fucking preach

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I wonder when will the Selects program will begin? We are close to entering the 5th running year, but since their games are breaking industry and franchise records makes me think we won't get it until very late of the consoles life

Apr 21, 2018
Eshop sales and second hand physical on Kijiji is a thing.
It doesn't seem so bad to me. I grabbed Skyrim, Wolfenstein 2, and Mario x Rabbids when they were on sale.

Nintendo 1st party games could afford some drops though, yeesh. Bring back the players choice lineup or something. The lower tier like Yoshi, Kirby, and Mario Party could certainly afford slight price reductions.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Gaming on Nintendo consoles has pretty much always been a premium kinda thing and more expensive than elsewhere, but I definitely feel the Switch is the worst. I mean for almost 4 year old games to still be full price is just ridiculous. Most people I know with a Switch have <5 physical/non-indie games just because it's too damn expensive to get any more. I've definitely been turned off getting 3rd party games physical, think only 3/25 are. When you think that games like TLOU2 and GoT are already 20-30% cheaper than years old Switch games just 3-4m after release, it's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

this is a good post and everything, not trying to argue

but holy shit what fucking country are you in???

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): trolling

"BUY HADES YOU BROKE POOR THIRD WORLD COUNTRY PIECE OF SHIT"- Enlightened Nintendo enthusiast.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
We get these threads frequently, but there are essentially 2 sides to the argument from my point of view.

Sony, MS, and 3rd Parties drop prices quickly and aggressively. It actually discouraged me from buying their games day one. I know if I buy it on day one it will quickly lose its value and it will seem like I wasted money.

Nintendo doesn't drop prices often, but deals can typically still be found for savvy shoppers. I am far more likely to buy a game day one from Nintendo as I'm more confident that it will maintain its value.

I get those waiting and hoping for Nintendo sales, but it's also nice knowing they maintain value. Different philosophies but I have no issue with either.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yeha, and me, I bought most of the Nintendo releases and barely play them anyway. I mean a lot of them are just rereleases anyhow..

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Another reason it is a problem is that games that are still full price on Switch and dirt cheap on other platforms will obviously sell more on other platforms. The games are then targeted to other platforms because "that's where the player base is". But of course that's where the player base is when the game is $60 on NS and $5-10 on PS/XB. Those same games would probably sell like hot cakes on NS If pricethe same as other platforms. Subsequently NS isn't considered a target platform and receives often late ports of inferior versions of games at full price

When the games are available much cheaper in one place and much more expensive in another, it's price gouging a specific subset of consumers. Plain and simple.

Ubisoft, capcom an koei tecmo have regular decent sales, other publishers less so, but why do NS only users have to wait for sales for decent prices when other platforms receive significant price cuts on games months after release and then receive deep sales on top of the reduced prices?

I understand that Nintendo also never drop their prices, but Nintendo aren't selling the same games in other places for far cheaper prices. Its Not the same.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
We get these threads frequently, but there are essentially 2 sides to the argument from my point of view.

Sony, MS, and 3rd Parties drop prices quickly and aggressively. It actually discouraged me from buying their games day one. I know if I buy it on day one it will quickly lose its value and it will seem like I wasted money.

Nintendo doesn't drop prices often, but deals can typically still be found for savvy shoppers. I am far more likely to buy a game day one from Nintendo as I'm more confident that it will maintain its value.

I get those waiting and hoping for Nintendo sales, but it's also nice knowing they maintain value. Different philosophies but I have no issue with either.
Ok, but why don't 3rd parties drop their prices on Nintendo hardware when they drop them elsewhere?

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
So by that logic all of the Game Pass games have been devalued?

Doesn't look that way to me. Doom 2016's a $5-$10 game (well, $60 on Switch), and it hasn't lost value to anyone despite the price drops.
I believe Game Pass is a carefully calculated business strategy,
I don't know how it works though, so I won't say they devalue the games or not.
every company operates differently.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Reality is my purchase habits are guided by the stakeholder. With Sony, for example, I know that a year to year and a half away their games will be $20 or less. This gen I've gotten Bloodborne, Horizon, Uncharted LL and 4, God of War, Spider-man GOTY, Last of Us remaster, Until Dawn anywhere from $8 to $20 on PSN. Sony's pricing model encourages that patience and I can net big savings. The physical versions of those titles also end up at $20. That's the good part.

The bad is not playing the game when they're hot off the presses so I'm largely removed from discussion with others who are playing it on day zero. And I cant help but devalue those games in my own mind because hey, the publisher drops them so quickly that my perception of them is impacted. It also means that if I were one to buy those titles at full price ( which I haven't in well over a decade) if I wanted to resell that would have to be a fairly quick turnaround because they lose value quickly. If I had the physical copies of God of War or Uncharted 4 I can't resell them for over $10 a pop now. That would sting if I paid $60, so I've largely eliminated the practice of buying in the highest MSRP tier where Sony goes ( and MS as well but I havent been much into the Xbox ecosystem since 360).

And that is the main silver lining in Nintendo's pricing model. The commercially successful games ( so not Metroid other M or Starfox Zero) hold value. Yes their games sticking at $60 price points, barring the odd sale, 'sucks' for the wallet. I only own 6 physical games (4-5 digital) for Switch and I bought in within a month of launch ( April 2017). But, Breath of the Wild was purchased right away. So were Marvel Alliance 3 and Links Awakening when they came out. I was part of the wider conversation immediately and that does have an intangibly positive effect on my experience. Because why wait for the game to be discounted? And by what, 30%? And when will this happen? Who knows, so there's no encouragement to wait around. Every so often there will be a promotion for $39.99 on select games( just this last week in fact on amazon and bestbuy) but those pop up only so many times.
It also doesnt help that I've mostly ( until the last year) lived in a country where console games are $80 USD. I typically buy my games when on holiday in the US, and rarely does that align with random promotions. So, I'm 'trained' for a few reasons to buy at or near full price as that's usually the only option available at the time I'm ready to buy.

But, I also perceive Nintendo games as having more value and of higher quality ( whether they are or aren't isn't the point, to be clear), to the effect where I lean towards Nintendo as a collector. And it does mean if I wanted to resell ( whe it comes to Nintendo first party I rarely do) I'm not getting pennies on the dollar in return. The 'bad' part is that I end up buying less games, I scoff at their practices of full price ports ( I refuse to buy Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 at full price when I owned them on Wii U and they were both $20 selects at the end. I dont care what content has been added to 'justify' the pricing for the Switch audience) and I wouldn't buy third party titles like Doom, Witcher 3 or Skyrim on Switch. As cool as it may be to have those in hybrid format, it doesn't compute for me to pay more for technically inferior ports when those games are commonly on sale for practically pennies nowadays on other platforms.

Last edited:

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Ninty gonna be in a good position in a month or so when theyll shift from the most expensive console on the market to the cheapest (well apart from that crazy cheap xbox).
Ill be interesting to see if they play into that or just stay the course, dosent seem to be any good reason for them to shake things up when they're doing so well.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Nintendo games have always been expensive. With the switch 3rd party games are also holding their price. But if your happy to sell games once you complete them they sale for a higher price and you can re-coup a lot of the money spent.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Last time i touched mine was to pick it up from the floor after one of my cats made it fall. It was 6 months ago. Last time i played was probably a year ago. And not even on my own.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I pointed this out in another thread and someone said I'm pereptuating myth. That games are expensive for the Switch.
I'm still baffled by this.

Sure, the games drop in price "somewhat", but Nintendo games aren't in a vaccum, compared to other platforms they're super, super expensive and remain so for a long time.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I bought Skyrim last year when it was half price during a sale. Best bucks I've ever invested into a game, as I'm currently STILL playing it.

It's a bit like buying stuff from Apple: Even a refurbished or used iPhone is quite expensive - but if you sell it again, you won't loose that much money. That's why I'm buying Nintendo games physically and only 3rd party digital.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame we're not likely to get a Nintendo Selects range to make purchasing easier for people. The games just keep selling, so Nintendo has no impetus to make less money.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
It's a shame we're not likely to get a Nintendo Selects range to make purchasing easier for people. The games just keep selling, so Nintendo has no impetus to make less money.

Nintendo games are in their own bubble from third party within the context of whatever platform they're on, and I imagine the driving force for most purchases. It affords them a much greater degree of control bucking the race to the bottom industry trends for game prices. Sony has their own well-established line of IPs but they're also competing in a much stronger third party ecosystem on their own platforms, especially when it comes to AAA titles. So they have less leeway to keep Uncharted 4 or God of War at $60 for the duration of a generation when your Red Deads, Assassin Creeds, Call of Dutys, Star Wars, and the like move big numbers on their systems.

I dont know if or when Nintendo selects will rear its head this gen, we got them on Gamecube, Wii, Wii U and 3DS, but there's a new President at the helm now so maybe this practice fades. Because there's already multiple million dollar sellers on Switch and IIRC that was the barometer for the Select line before, though I don't think Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 sold that much on Wii U, but that was a special case of a commercially failing system needing every bit of help it could get.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I pointed this out in another thread and someone said I'm pereptuating myth. That games are expensive for the Switch.
I'm still baffled by this.

Sure, the games drop in price "somewhat", but Nintendo games aren't in a vaccum, compared to other platforms they're super, super expensive and remain so for a long time.
A lot of games go on sale on the eShop frequently, and even online/local retailers will often put Switch titles on sale, even 1st party ones on occassion. Smaller games will usually hit the $5 mark or even lower while larger titles often go as low as $12-20 depending on publisher.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why people continue bringing up the "there are sales" arguments. That's not the point. Cool, if i'am lucky and check the shop at the right time i might get the game i want for cheaper ( Still a lot more ). Disregarding the fact that the same games would still get Sales if they get permamently cheaper. I'm pretty sure games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim are getting frequent sales on Xbox/Playstation while still being a lot cheaper.

So no, games getting short sales isn't a solution to my problem with the 3rd Party prices on Switch.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of games go on sale on the eShop frequently, and even online/local retailers will often put Switch titles on sale, even 1st party ones on occassion. Smaller games will usually hit the $5 mark or even lower while larger titles often go as low as $12-20 depending on publisher.

Not where I am in Europe, they don't.
I'm refering specifically to Nintendo games and by that I mean first party.
Could be a regional thing, but here's an example of a "price drop" from one of our retailers:
69,99€ 62,99€ , for BOTW.
69,99€ 54,99€ , for Odyssey, what a bargain.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I never understand when these threads pop up because the fact the games don't get devalued is the very reason I own so many Switch titles.

The games are always available for £40-45 at launch and YEARS later you could re-sell them / trade them in for £30. The real cost is lower than gaming on PS4 / Xbox and if you insist on buying only digitally or refusing to re-sell stuff then its on you

Hell I've purchased stuff day one on Switch and re-sold it along with pre-order bonus items for significantly more than I originally paid. Could never do that in a million years with an PS4 / Xbox One title

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense that games like MK8 or BotW are forever at full price. But lesser games like Kirby Star Allies or Mario Tennis Aces still being $59.99 after all this time is just ridiculous. It seems like Nintendo is dead set on keeping their games full price forever despite of difference in game quality and how well it sells.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, but why don't 3rd parties drop their prices on Nintendo hardware when they drop them elsewhere?

Some do, but overall I think there is a couple reasons why they are less likely to on Switch.

First, the cost to produce Switch games are higher and may play a role in it. Second, Nintendo has conditioned their audience and they are willing to pay higher prices for longer periods of time than on other platforms. Third, on Switch 3rd Parties aren't competing with discounted 1st Party titles requiring them to follow suit.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I never understand when these threads pop up because the fact the games don't get devalued is the very reason I own so many Switch titles.

The games are always available for £40-45 at launch and YEARS later you could re-sell them / trade them in for £30. The real cost is lower than gaming on PS4 / Xbox and if you insist on buying only digitally or refusing to re-sell stuff then its on you

Hell I've purchased stuff day one on Switch and re-sold it along with pre-order bonus items for significantly more than I originally paid. Could never do that in a million years with an PS4 / Xbox One title

Because people don't want to sell their games but rather keep them to play them again? I find it baffling using this as an excuse for expensive games.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Some do, but overall I think there is a couple reasons why they are less likely to on Switch.

First, the cost to produce Switch games are higher and may play a role in it. Second, Nintendo has conditioned their audience and they are willing to pay higher prices for longer periods of time than on other platforms. Third, on Switch 3rd Parties aren't competing with discounted 1st Party titles requiring them to follow suit.
I'm calling BS on the first two points. Porting to NS doesn't require a whole new game. Yes there are expenses but not enough to keep a game at full price years later. Especially when a lot of these third parties have said they were actually pleased with the NS sales. Surely a lot of these titles have far exceeded the profit point. I mean why would Bethesda continue porting if this weren't the case?

Second point, the Nintendo audience and the third party audience are the same audience and I'm sure they would jump on some of these games at a decent price. In fact a lot of people who own a NS also own either an XB or PS.

the third point however could be a factor. But it's still shitty practice to sell your games at one place significantly higher than everywhere else you sell them

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I haven"t touched my switch since animal crossing. The things is....i don't want to play it anymore. There is not one game that i want on ths console. I really want to sell it :/ nintendo is doing nothing beside mario remake <_<

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
The reality is 3rd parties sell FAR less games on the Switch, so they price their games higher to make up for it. 3rd parties sell A LOT more games on the PS4 and can lower their prices.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
SE just announced a Trials of Mana offer, starting from today since November 2nd, with a 30% price for the game on Switch; it's fun because the sale it's just on Switch and Steam, not on PS4

This kind of offers are live very often on the eshop, but aren't that known / covered imho

btw, Collection of Mana 50% off, too

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm confused. Talk seems to go back and forth between 3rd and first party games.
For first part, the prices don't come down much though there are occasional sales, but you already have people saying they only play Switch for first party releases. (iroinciually because prices are too expensive so they must mean 3rd party games) but at the same time others are just complainign generally about prices including first party.

More broadly, 3rd party prices are often the same as on Steam, or maybe $5-10 more, sales are plentiful and I just drop a game on my wishlis tand wait for it to go on sale. Call it what you want but if I can play a game on the go and it's a good port, it's going to be bought on Switch, either at full price if I really want it or want to support the devs or waiting for a sale. For many steam releases, it's now day and date on PC/Switch with no price difference anyways, so the conversaitons seems to be really narrowed around their first party releases and a select fee AAA games. Depending on who is complaining.
Well yeah, I guess it's reasonable to separate between the 1st and 3rd party, although the end result is mostly the same at least for me. I'll buy the Nintendo games I'm really interested in - the one I pretty much know I'll like a lot. But I won't experiment much on their games or buy their ports. I've never played a Fire Emblem game for example, and I'd be very interested to try out the latest game, but with that price it's a big no. For 30 euros maybe. For 20 euros absolutely. And yeah obviously there are other factors too - there's so many games to play otherwise so why would I spend so much money on the Nintendo games (other than the ones I really, really want) when there are so many games out there for me to play. I

"Maybe $5-10" more is pretty big difference for most indie games. And the larger 3rd party games there's often no such sales anyway.

The reality is 3rd parties sell FAR less games on the Switch, so they price their games higher to make up for it. 3rd parties sell A LOT more games on the PS4 and can lower their prices.
Do you have any actual sources to back this up? Because it'd seem like made up bullshit to me to be honest. I'm not even sure if there are that many proper points of comparison with same day release in the bigger releases - for indie games there are examples and in those, at least from what we know Switch versions seem to be doing pretty well. To be fair though, we generally hear more about success stories than failures.

The simple logical explanation is that Switch owners are used to the prices remaining high because Nintendo games do it too.

I haven"t touched my switch since animal crossing. The things is....i don't want to play it anymore. There is not one game that i want on ths console. I really want to sell it :/ nintendo is doing nothing beside mario remake <_<
This is silly.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
same, indies and third party are way to expensive, and xenoblade chronicles remaster was the last one i played from the exclusive list. Gamepass is really hurting my switch play time.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
AstralTurfWarrior Sorry there is the Hyrule warrior too but i don't really Care about this.
I Want game like xenoblade , astral chain , a New 3d Mario , somes new IP too.
This year i only played animal crossing and xenoblade de. I only play the Switch on dock, so i only Care about Nintendo games ( third party are on my computer ).

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Game prices are what they have always been for the system. The games you want to get you will definitely give you your money's worth.

It has always confused me why people get into the hobby, knowing well the prices of games, having paid $200+ for a console yet cheap out on the games themselves.

If it bothers you that much, buy it, beat it, sell it, profit.

I personally always get games day 1 at full price, but even if that is not something you cannot afford resorting to waiting years for a sale that may or may not come on Switch seems like the wrong way to go about it.

Buy it, beat it, sell it.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Game prices are what they have always been for the system. The games you want to get you will definitely give you your money's worth.

It has always confused me why people get into the hobby, knowing well the prices of games, having paid $200+ for a console yet cheap out on the games themselves.

If it bothers you that much, buy it, beat it, sell it, profit.

I personally always get games day 1 at full price, but even if that is not something you cannot afford resorting to waiting years for a sale that may or may not come on Switch seems like the wrong way to go about it.

Buy it, beat it, sell it.

Did you read the OP at all? I'm fine paying 70€ day one for a Game. I'm not fine paying 50€ for a game that is a decade old and sells for 15€ on another system.

This has nothing to do with how much money i'm willing to spend on my hobby. That's a silly take.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Because people don't want to sell their games but rather keep them to play them again? I find it baffling using this as an excuse for expensive games.

You can keep them for 3-4 maybe even 5 years and still re-coup 70% of what you spent. If you want to buy games and never re-sell them its your own fault at that point. You are making a conscious choice to be priced out from playing the games due to wanting to collect the games rather than play them.

Guess what - if you want to replay it 7 years down there is nothing to stop you rebuying it