• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. As I said if you are into handheld it makes sense. I never have been a handheld gamer and I can't recall ever gaming handheld on it (making it an overpriced console TBH). So when I look at buying a game to play in my TV there is nothing to really make me choose a Switch version over PS4. In fact the switch one will inevitably run worse or at a lower resolution or lowered graphical fidelity.

I don't think the distinction is handheld vs sit down console anyways. Switch is a hybrid and I split my time playing in both modes plus tabletop. There's a lot of value there, a game being slightly cheaper on Steam that ties me to my PC is not the same as the same game I can take with me.

Honestly, if you have an option to play a game on multiple platforms, I would argue it's not a cost thing that is holding back your purchase on Switch, cost is just being used to justify not buying it on Switch. There are a lot of games I buy on Switch even though I know my PC will run it better because it's the logical platform to buy it on for me because of how I want to consume that piece of entertainment and that's the key feature here, it's the same piece of entertainment, not a watered down handheld version.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I use it the same way I used my Vita: as an indie machine.

Sure, I'd like to play Xcom or Divinity 2 in bed, but is it really worth it when I have a PS4 downstairs with both games on it?

So I play Stardew Valley, Isaac, or Hades. Maybe some Dead Cells or Neon Abyss.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
My lack of Switch play has nothing to do with pricing; it has more to do with the fact that I no longer find it comfortable to use the Joy-Cons in handheld mode. I might have to try those Hori things. I have a Satisfye grip, but that only addresses the grip part, not the d-pad, analog sticks, or other aspects about it I find less than optimal.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
it is really getting more and more ridiculous when you compare against something like gamepass, or constant huge deals on pc/ps for big games.
only deal i found worthwhile this year on switch was luigis mansion i think and it was 79cad to 59 or something.
but then tetris99 was free, probably my most played game of whole generation lol

Last week a bunch of Switch 1st party games were on sale on Amazon and Walmart in Canada. I got NSMBUD for $50. Yoshi's Crafted World, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Party and more were also $50. Just need to keep an eye out for sales. You can do better than $60 even on 1st party stuff.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Same, I rarely touch mine anymore. I have zero interest in HH gaming, so my only lure for the console is exclusives. I don't use the e-shop because of the systems pitiful amount of memory. So that leaves physical copies. Checking the games on my Amazon wishlist, they're $45-$60 bucks. That's more than I'm willing to spend on Animal Crossing. Before someone swoops in and says this is because it's new, I have Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 on there.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Just sold mine. Thing was just there collecting dust and i wanted to ease the blow next gen is going to give on my wallet with new consoles, TV and accessories...

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I buy indie and a few Nintendo games on my switch. My ps4 collects dust cause it plays a few sony first party games and thats it. My PC is my main platform.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think the distinction is handheld vs sit down console anyways. Switch is a hybrid and I split my time playing in both modes plus tabletop. There's a lot of value there, a game being slightly cheaper on Steam that ties me to my PC is not the same as the same game I can take with me.

Honestly, if you have an option to play a game on multiple platforms, I would argue it's not a cost thing that is holding back your purchase on Switch, cost is just being used to justify not buying it on Switch. There are a lot of games I buy on Switch even though I know my PC will run it better because it's the logical platform to buy it on for me because of how I want to consume that piece of entertainment and that's the key feature here, it's the same piece of entertainment, not a watered down handheld version.
I'm not sure where the cost comes in as I never mentioned cost. If you like to play handheld (Always, sometimes, 50% or whatever) then buying a third party game on Switch I can understand. If you don't play handheld and have the Switch and some other console attached to the TV I struggle to find any really compelling reason why anyone would buy a Switch version over a PS4/Pro or XBO/X? The latter are almost certainly going to run better and look better. Of course you can always find something like "I like the controller" or the UI or "my friends are there", sure, but in a pure gaming performance/enjoyability I just cannot see a Switch being better in any way

Aug 12, 2019
I don't see the issue with pricing relative to when the Switch came out versus other consoles. It's a 3 year old system with specialized architecture compared to the 7 year old PS4 and Xbox One from a console market perspective. If you go back to 2015-2016 for those consoles, they were just really starting to get games cheaper on the whole that people wanted to play and had just started getting actual generation exclusives (Remember when the first two years basically everything released by third parties was cross gen?). Switch Ports take more work and often special studios are required to work on those ports or a company has to devote resources to the console from internal development teams given the gulf in hardware and it's not a particularly rewarding market for most third parties as has been the case with most Nintendo consoles, so companies are less willing to to drop down prices, especially when physical production of a Switch cart costs more than a bluray is for other consoles.

Like, I've seen plenty of third party stuff go on quite decent sales on the eShop in the past year even if they aren't the dirt cheap impulse prices that Sony and Microsoft more commonly see (to say nothing of Steam and other PC platforms). Now if the issue is with Nintendo first parties, that I understand more as their titles rarely go on sale for more than $20 off and Nintendo being a bit more flexible with prices would be nice... but they're currently enjoying phenomenal success and momentum without doing so and have generally never been the ones to drop prices to begin with, so that's pretty much just Nintendo set in stone at this point.

Jan 13, 2020
I feel ya bro. I just signed up to Game Pass (£1 for the first month) and there were a few games on there I was considering buying for Switch - My Friend Pedro, Lonely Mountains, Worms W.M.D. and The Touryst.

I've only played the first two so far, and they just haven't grabbed me. For £1, I'm not bothered, but that would have been £36 on Switch. It's a gamble I can't really afford.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've been playing it more recently but for the most part I agree. After getting it at launch I literally only have 8 games for it as opposed to over 100 on PS4 and XBO over the years.

Games stay high price for so long my purchases are few and far between.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yep. Every time i visit the eshop i scoff at the prices. It's a Nintendo only machine for me and it's even been slim pickings in that regard, because i rarely pay full price for games. Steam/PC/PS4/XBO offer so much more value for money with indie and 3rd party pricings.

I never play the system handheld either, so the portability factor doesn't enter the equation for me. Makes the contrast in value even worse.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Much worse as a WiiU owner too as I'm not willing to pay full price for games I already owned. Having said that it was a gift, but I wouldn't have bought this system knowing this would be the situation going into 2021

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who also doesn't do a whole lot of indie on the Switch, I find it a barren wasteland. I have played a handful of first-party games, but I've got indie titles from gog, steam, or even the itch.io's BLM bundle from this last summer. I just don't see a point in getting those same indie titles on a system that deliberately up charges, as I don't 'take advantage' of the pick up and go aspect of it being a handheld. I don't think I'll be getting a nintendo system in the future.

I couldn't be more disappointed with the Switch. I skipped the Wii U and literally got a Switch for the Belmonts in Smash. It's not too much to ask to want more from the system, but I feel I'll need to wait until the system's life cycle is dead before I get decent deals on their first-party game.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I haven't touched anything but my Switch in months lol....have such a ridiculous backlog on it that I don't really *need* to buy anything on it.

Got a ton of great indies to play, plus the occasional 1st party banger or 3rd party game....

I get it but can't say I have the same problem....

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
PC is my first choice for big budget games.
Switch is my first choice for indies.
XBO when cool things show up on gamepass
PS4 if there is an exclusive that I really want to play, but it's rare. I think Judgement was the last game I put any real time into on PS4.

I used to be ps4 for everything but since getting an xbox one x and game pass it's my main machine
Like you I play ps4 exclusives I'm interested in but ghost of tsushima has been the only one in the last year
I got a switch for bitw and Mario odyssey and those and golf story are about all I played on it

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing tons of games on switch, all bought at sale on Amazon or e-shop
Debating about obra dinn right now and waiting for details about outer worlds next sale

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
I just bought Valkryia Chronicles for 2 quid after using some gold coins, the sales are there for 3rd party games. And been playing Overwatch since its been free for NSO users. But I am a lover of handhelds :p

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
You need to learn to region switch. You can save lots that way.

Jun 17, 2018
The games are expensive, I held off on the Mario Collection because it was £49.99 for games that are all over 10 years old and emulations at that! The Switch for me is an indie machine and the occasional first party title if it's something I really want to play.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I would also like to add that I'll probably pass on Smash Ultimate if it refuses to go on sale this Black Friday. It was basically the only major Nintendo game from 2018 or before that wasn't discounted on Black Friday 2019.

Smash is obviously really great, but I feel satiated from the hours I played on the 3DS version. Ultimate isn't quite an absolute must-have, but I would be really excited to buy it at $30 or even $40.

Last edited:

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
My Switch has seen more use over the last 2 years than my PS4. I still use that too, but by and large the hybrid portability is just a bigger attraction to me, and it's had a killer library. First party games aren't the only ones worth $60; that kind of attitude is why third parties shun Nintendo at times.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I've had the opposite problem, though I tend to catch the sales. All the games listed in the OP I've bought on Switch when they've gone on sale. I'd say I play too many games on Switch because they're often many sales, first party games not included.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Being broke as fuck led me to pick a ton of indies, and honestly I'm kinda burned on them. I think I've gotten all the "absolutely masterpiece" ones, and the wacky experimental ones don't interest me at all.

Hades I didn't purchase but that's cause I just can't stand Supergiant. 5 mins into Bastion I knew I'd hate it and that didn't change 5 hours later.

I find it really disappointing that first party games almost never get discounted btw, which is definetely my fault. But as someone who played more handhelds than consoles and got the Switch with that mindset honestly the prices are a huge bummer.

I don't expect anyone to relate much since here folks are able to afford "Switch as a complementary machine" so there's that.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
It may be a higher purchase price than other platforms, but the games are holding their value. You can regsell close to purchase price, therefore not making them that expensive to play. It's annoying, but the way switch games hold their value benefits those that sell their games after playing them.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I talked about this the other day with my friends. Nintendo's pricing is very glass half-full or glass half-empty.

If you're a Nintendo fan, then you probably like that games retain their value over time.
If you play everything, it's glass half empty. There's no benefit on "waiting" to buy a game.

It squashes the idea of impulse buying, or even buying games that you like but don't love.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
As a "digital only" Switch gamer, I just buy shit day one at full price and deal with it, since the sales online are so few and far between. I'll occasionally look at the e-shop sales and buy something I missed if I'm bored, but I would say that 90% of the games I've bought I just purchased at full price. No point waiting for the price to drop on anything since that's not really Nintendo's style, and third party games seem to also follow the Nintendo model on the console as well.

I only own three games physical; Ring Fit and then Mario Odyssey and Skyrim since I bought those 2 on launch day while I was traveling to the UK on business and didn't have a viable download option. I still remember the feeling of buying Skyrim physical day one for £49.99 and seeing a used copy of the Xbox one version on the shelf beside the register for £6.99. At the time I was feeling like an idiot because I already owned it on x360 and PC, and I was now spending £50/$80+ Canadian on a worse version of the exact same game I already owned and beat when the other, "better" versions were like 10% of the cost. Like 100+ hours of awesome, portable game time later, I have since bought the game again for VR on my PC (also at full price) and don't regret the purchase of it on switch at all. The switch tax is what it is, and I've just grown to accept it.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can relate to this. I'm digital only and while that means I did get plenty of the indie games already, there's still dozens of games on my Wishlist because of no sale or the sale isn't deep enough.

This is why I use my ps4 as a portable console now. I can get many of the same games much cheaper along with tons of major releases for quite cheap. I just can't justify those first party Nintendo discounts we see anymore, or full price in general of course.

That being said, Nintendo selects being $20 like the past systems would be excellent. Until then, I'll be happy to just rarely play it until sales get deeper and that's okay with me

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nah this is silly and you seem to be projecting your own view to others. Just because a person has two platforms, doesn't mean they don't want to save money on those platforms.

I'd prefer to play on Switch but playing on PC is just so much cheaper for me.

Guys unless the prices come down I firmly believe Nintendo is going to be doomed.
This comes off really fanboyish to be honest. Nobody here is saying Nintendo's doomed. People are simply talking about their experiences.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Smash ultimate makes up 99% of my playtime on my switch and it'll still end up one of my all time most played consoles lol. I generally agree about game prices but not just on switch, I mostly just stick to a select few games and mostly old ones at that.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I've owned my Switch since day 1 and I have a grand total of only just 4 games for it. It's not even the case of it having no games. There's plenty of games on offer, the real problem is the pricing. They rarely seldom go down in price and if they do it's really a minuscule amount. I don't mind paying full price and purchasing the Marios, Zeldas etc day 1 because I know what I'm getting and I feel they're worth that price. But there's also a number of games where I have an interest in but not enough to go and spend full price for each title. When I'm put in a position where I can purchase a Switch game I almost always tell myself that for the same amount I could get 2 or 3 on sale PS4 games which ultimately makes the Switch a tough overall value proposition for me. I just wish Nintendo were more competitive with their pricing strategy.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't touched mine in months either. Switched it on today and was surprised that there was still a good 80% of power left. I got a lot of fun out of my switch but for now there are no games coming out that interest me. I could see myself coming back for something like a mass effect trilogy remaster (not a remake)

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Nocturne HD is coming out at the ned of this month (in Japan) and then in November there is Hyrule Warriors 2. Both these games are worth paying full price IMO.

Jun 2, 2019
My lack of Switch play has nothing to do with pricing; it has more to do with the fact that I no longer find it comfortable to use the Joy-Cons in handheld mode. I might have to try those Hori things. I have a Satisfye grip, but that only addresses the grip part, not the d-pad, analog sticks, or other aspects about it I find less than optimal.

Yeah, you may want to look into the Hori split pad controller. I don't have it, but there's no bad impressions about it whatsoever.

I have been looking into it too, but i commute a lot and there's almost no compatible cases, so i'm tuck with the Hori joycon (Wich isn't half-bad i must say, but i have no confidence on it since it uses the same sticks as the normal joycon, and i have alreaddy suffered the drift once)

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Folx often make excuses for Nintendo's premium prices by saying how good their first party games are. Which is true, they're good, but not so good that they should never get a price cut. Sony also makes great games and they lower prices of first party titles over time.

Don't believe the lie. It's a Nintendo Tax, they keep prices high because they're greedy and know their fans will keep buying the games cause they've been conditioned to except it. BOTW shouldn't still be $60. If you're on a tight budget you'd be better off with a PS4 or Xbox One.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree. I literally only play indie games on my switch because of pricing.

Paying more for what is going to be a worse version of the game is just dumb.

Also I will always buy the hottest game of the year that's dropped to 40 over Nintendo's 5 year old game that is still 60. Nintendo makes good games absolutely, but they aren't worth the premium price tag to me. Nintendo is clearly making the right business decision though, it's just not for me.

Not if its portable

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
My switch is for 1) Nintendo games 2) indies 3) games where the portability will really add to the experience (like Bomberman, Stardew Valley, Megaman etc).

I also go back and forth between the ps4 and switch, I will play one of them for months and then switch, so it's fine. But I will say I love when I'm playing something on the switch, the sensation of being able to take it from the dock and take it anywhere is incredible. The ps4 has sort of become a "vanilla" videogame experience for me.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You should be playing Mario's Super Picross, that'll keep you busy for weeks

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The first party prices do suck. There's really no good reason for MK8 to cost 59 bucks forever.
Imagine if Uncharted 4 never had a price drop after so many years.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
The first party prices do suck. There's really no good reason for MK8 to cost 59 bucks forever.
Imagine if Uncharted 4 never had a price drop after so many years.
they can because they sell, and people wouldn't be worried if first party game got 50% off 1 or 2 months later.
who buys Uncharted 4 now? but people still buying MK8DX.

I feel like this is becoming meaningless topic, but more of a personal rant and troll,
especially to those saying Nintendo first party games are not wroth full price.
I mean, I get it, every month needs a new reason for their Switch to collect dust.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
they can because they sell, and people wouldn't be worried if first party game got 50% off 1 or 2 months later.
who buys Uncharted 4 now? but people still buying MK8DX.

Who's buying ARMs and Fire Emblem Warriors? Point is they just leave everything at $60 regardless.

It has nothing to do with game's still selling, but rather forcing their audience to pay $60. Nintendo knows you have no choice but to pay what they want.