• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Lemmy played Rainbow Six Siege until he died at the age of 74, and he had cancer....So i think the answer is amphetamines.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
46 here
I start games on normal, if I'm struggling I'll put it down to easy, doesnt bother me in the slightest
I do detest games where you can't change the difficulty in game though

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing Persona Q2 on Safety because... I don't got time for that hard shit.
I'm 27 now and my time and reflexes are different, so why suffer? It's a game, I should enjoy my time with it, and if the fun is in easiest mode, so be it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel bad, OP. What's important is your health. What's important is having fun. These are just games.

ran93r

Nov 15, 2017
I had to turn down Spider-man (ps4). Although the combat on the surface feels Arkham-like, you cannot just stand there and button mash with the occasional counter, I tend to eat dirt every time.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I am not ashamed, i play games on easy too. I want to enjoy the games because of my limited time and i purchases multiple games. And except for Destiny 2 don't play FPS multiplayer games anymore, just to stressful and too fast.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I had to turn down Spider-man (ps4). Although the combat on the surface feels Arkham-like, you cannot just stand there and button mash with the occasional counter, I tend to eat dirt every time.
Uh oh. I find God of War a little too linear for me and was going to try out Spiderman tomorrow. I might go with AC: Odyssee instead- I had a lot of fun with Origins.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I've been playing games on easy since I was a teenager. I play to have fun, not get good or be frustrated.

This is such a weird take I keep seeing pop up. Like games are automatically more fun when you play on easy. It's actually the complete opposite for me in a lot of cases:

Days Gone: Tagging enemies, drowning in supplies while hardly needing them (so looting isn't really necessary at all), being able to absorb a lot of damage, enemies that die very fast. If you want to completely kill off the sense of survival this game is going for, by all means play on easy. I started on easy and was bored out of my mind. It's a survival game. I want to feel relief when finding new supplies when I almost have none. Fights need to be tense and you want to be happy you survived and not be some kind of terminator.

The Last of Us: See above without the enemy tagging.

Far Cry 5 (and basically all Far Cry games): Enemies die fast en the player is a bullet sponge again. Run around with no sense of tension at all: an extremely boring experience.

Spider-Man: Not forced to use special moves/gadgets at all. Just dodge and hit dudes until everybody is knocked out. You can again absorbe insane amounts of damage: BORING

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
Do reaction times really go down that much with age? I thought it was relatively minor...
I think it's minor. I'll be 35 this year. I'm better at fighters and shooters than when I was in my 20's. Maybe I'm relying on my knowledge, and experience of video games to keep pace with younger gamers with better reflexes. I've been playing video games since I've been able to hold things, so maybe that has something to do it. A lot of people don't play video games their whole lives.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with playing on easy. As long as you're having fun you don't have to apologize to anyone.

Oh, except if you're in a team setting and letting your people down. Please apologize to your team mates.

Lemon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did aging really lower reaction, reflex and shit like that? I'm 30 and always play on easiest difficulty possible unless there are none like Souls because I love to feel like God. The only thing I felt from aging is I felt sleepy and don't have patience to read most game dialogues anymore.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
This is such a weird take I keep seeing pop up. Like games are automatically more fun when you play on easy. It's actually the complete opposite for me in a lot of cases:

Days Gone: Tagging enemies, drowning in supplies while hardly needing them (so looting isn't really necessary at all), being able to absorb a lot of damage, enemies that die very fast. If you want to completely kill off the sense of survival this game is going for, by all means play on easy. I started on easy and was bored out of my mind. It's a survival game. I want to feel relief when finding new supplies when I almost have none. Fights need to be tense and you want to be happy you survived and not be some kind of terminator.

The Last of Us: See above without the enemy tagging.

Far Cry 5 (and basically all Far Cry games): Enemies die fast en the player is a bullet sponge again. Run around with no sense of tension at all: an extremely boring experience.

Spider-Man: Not forced to use special moves/gadgets at all. Just dodge and hit dudes until everybody is knocked out. You can again absorbe insane amounts of damage: BORING
There seems to be a huge divide, at least on God of War between normal and easy. While normal is just too challenging for me, in easy you only have to hit most enemies once or twice to defeat them, there's no skill involved at all.

I wish there was something in between.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Life's too short to waste time playing games and not having fun. You do you, fuck what everyone else says. Heck, I'm 35 and I'm starting to feel the not even that old bones can't take as much X-treeeeeeeeme controller action as they used to. I reckon I'm gonna be in your shoes real soon.

Yep same. I am about to turn 36 and find my hands can realllllllly hurt now after a full day at work (keyboard and mouse) if I then go home and try to have a proper session like I used to my hands the next day will certainly let me know I did too much.

I have had to restrict the amount of time I play in the evenings now as it's clearly just too much for em and I don't want to completely ruin them as well my livelihood depends on it.

Play on easy, do what you need to do - you having fun is literally the only reason to do it so do whatever it takes to have fun.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
There seems to be a huge divide, at least on God of War between normal and easy. While normal is just too challenging for me, in easy you only have to hit most enemies once or twice to defeat them, there's no skill involved at all.

Yeah God of War is a bit strange. I started on give me a challenge and got my ass whooped. Finished it on balanced and did the valkyries on easy. It's a though game, but that is purely the combat difficulty.

I'm mainly talking about games going for a certain experience and playing on easy killing that experience completely. I don't see how that enhances someones fun unless you are so bad at the controls that you miss 98% of your shots and don't know how to take cover.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh oh. I find God of War a little too linear for me and was going to try out Spiderman tomorrow. I might go with AC: Odyssee instead- I had a lot of fun with Origins.
If you're worried about Spider-Man, I wouldn't. It has really fantastic accessibility options, you should be able to play it. I'd highly recommend it too.

Not that Odyssey is a bad choice either, I hear great things.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

I finished God of War on Gimme God of War and it was hell. Harder than a lot of Dark souls moments. The bosses though were very easy lol.
But yeah, recently i feel absolutely no shame for playing games on normal. Most recently i went down from hard to normal in Kingdom Hearts 3 simply because health pools were so large on enemies. Just time consuming.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
There is nothing wrong with playing on easy mode.

I personally try to keep up with stuff and use games to train my reactions, patience and hand eye coordination. Some really good fighting game players are now in their 40s and still kicking butt and so I try to do the same. I'm still far away from my 40s tho thankfully.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
OP, don't let it get you down, especially when it's something adversely affecting your physical health (like the tendonitis).

I'm 36, and I definitely feel in some games I just lack the quick reflexes that teens have.

Play at your own pace. What matters is that you're enjoying the game.

THAT SAID, I wonder if you were hammering your triggers and buttons too much in Monster Hunter. You can generally pull off everything you need to do in MH without clicking all the buttons a bunch. Were you playing in Single Player or Multi?

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I play most games on normal but there are times Ill have to lower it down to progress, most recent one was Gears of War Remastered which doesnt seem balanced at all and is much harder than I remembered it being when I played the original on the 360. I also usually keep away from competitive multiplayer games as I usually just get destroyed, especially beat em ups. Cooperative games like Mon Hun World I enjoy as theres a great sense of accomplishment working as a team.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Nothing wrong with that. As someone approaching 40, I go one step further and just YouTube stuff that's gonna be frustratingly time consuming.

Like played Samurai Showdown's story mode, got to the final boss in like 15 mins, realized after a few tries that there's no way I'm beating the boss on this difficulty level, so quit to menu and changed story mode AI to 1 for all future char runs and will just YouTube the ending for the character I was on.

Played Baldur's Gate 1 EE and modded everyone's walk speed to like 5x (probably should've gone further) and anytime someone died hit pause and changed difficulty to story mode to instantly revive them, and then changed the difficulty back because time is limited in life and if I can get the same 50 hour experience in 30 hours by speeding things up that's good by me.

In an rpg where to beat an optional boss you've got to grind for 5 hours? I'll YouTube the fight & cutscenes and save 5 hours why thank you.

It also helps when you don't care about trophies/achievements.

JED BARTLETT

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast
Im 50 next year and luckily my fingers are holding up alright, my knees or the other hand. But I'll drop any game to easy if I need to, plus I point blank refuse to grind achievements or trophies, it's okay through and finish for me.
On the multiplayer front, I can play for a bit before it becomes a bit of a chore, but I'm having loads of fun on Paladins, it's not as hardcore as Overwatch and there's a bit less salty people playing ( though I've turned off messages from randoms so who knows what they're calling me )
There seems to be a bit of aim assist on it and if your happy to play tank you don't need lightning fast reactions. It's free to play, though characters rotate and done are easier than others.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think it's minor. I'll be 35 this year. I'm better at fighters and shooters than when I was in my 20's. Maybe I'm relying on my knowledge, and experience of video games to keep pace with younger gamers with better reflexes. I've been playing video games since I've been able to hold things, so maybe that has something to do it. A lot of people don't play video games their whole lives.

It's scientifically proven your reaction time declines after you are 24 years of age. So unless you are bitten by a radio-active spider, there's another reason for you to think you are better.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hit 40 and my skill in fighting games has decreased, my reactions and execution just aren't up to snuff anymore, and i was never particularly good at competitive shooters but i am even worse now, but at least i got some cool streaks of grey hair so at least i got that going for me.

As another fighting gamer in my 40s, you have to pick and choose your games a bit. There's a reason I'm primarily playing Soul Calibur and will play Samsho.

Even then , I know my time is limited, it's a big reason I"m hitting EVO before it's too late.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
37 and nowadays suck pretty much at anything
I turned 50 this year and am finding it's more difficult for me to keep up with the action games. I purchased Monster Hunter World for the PC earlier this year and that one really did me in- I ended up getting tendinitis and trigger finger. I just started playing God of War on my PS4 and am finding I just can't keep up on normal difficulty. Previous game I played was AC: Origins and could just about manage that one. Forget about multiplayer FPS- I get killed in 2 secs.

It seems the action games are just out of my reach now- the controllers are too hard on my hands, not really fast enough to play some games in multiplayer on the PC anymore. I used to be good at the online FPS, but Battlefield 3 was really the last of my FPS games. As a long time gamer I'm torn on whether I'm missing something (or even cheating) by choosing the easy option, but I'm grateful it's there.

Zork IV anyone? 😀

Well, you can always enjoy action games on easily and maybe seek bigger challenge in other genres like turn based strategy (if you like the genre of course)?

Alyssa

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Well, I'm 35 and I play more and more on easy mode. I just want to enjoy videogames. One thing that I love being a PC gamer, I can install trainers and have a blast with some games without frustration. i.e. XCOM2 was soooooo much more enjoyable without the doomclock timer, and having a 10 person squad :)

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a recurring thread trend over the last little while of people admitting to "shameful" game things like playing on lower difficulties or playing games that aren't strictly for enthusiasts (ie a game that doesn't involve wantonly murdering everything). It's fine! Games are good however you want to play them, and whatever you want to play! Enjoy it!

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Hell, I'm only 40 now, but I've been with you for years. I used to live for challenging stuff in the NES days, but these days I completely sidestep the especially twitchy actions games (Devil May Cry/Bayonetta, etc), and especially the "Souls" stuff. About my maximum action level I can deal with is God of War (2018) on normal, Uncharted on normal, etc- mostly because they are forgiving, and could scale even easier if I wanted. I occasionally try my hand at online shooters, but that's usually a big joke. But I mostly just do non-action JRPGS, open world adventure stuff (which usually aren't too hard), most modern Nintendo software which is pretty accessible.

In all things I top off at normal and if that puts up a fight, I have no problem dropping to easy, rather than be stuck on something.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started on Bring it On, but after 2 hours in the prologue, I gave up. It's a good game, but it was not designed or tweaked to be made enjoyable with a controller.
I don't really think it's designed for mouse and keyboards either honestly. That game was still super annoying on that scheme, unless you went down to easy.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My life is about enjoying my time (what little I have), specially with a hobby like videogames, so I have no qualms whatsoever in turning difficulty down, or even reselling the game if I find it frustrating and/ or un-rewarding.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The way I see it, my normal or hard is your easy, and most games only scale damage and hp on enemies so you're probably having the same experience as everyone else.

starsleep3

Oct 25, 2017
Play games the way you want to. It is fine to play a game on easy, fine to play it on hard. As long as you are having fun.

I do both. For example, I play Resident Evil games on Easy, but play Borderlands on UVHM. Diff strokes for diff folks.

Nothing embarrassing about any of it.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I also play some games on easy just to blast through them quickly. My backlog is getting massive and like others have said, I don't have the time to play everything on nightmare mode, or whatever.

If it's a game I'm really into, I'll up the difficulty, otherwise it's medium or easy for quite a few games these days.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

Designers need to experiment with reaction time windows and minimising button mashing, not just adjusting health/damage sliders. Many players, not just older players, have issues with timing; and repetitive strain injuries can affect anyone. A major peeve of mine is any game that asks me to push down on the sticks regularly because it is one of the most un-ergonomic actions in games and can lead to RSI.

Also, console manufacturers have stop trying to force people into a single control method. Microsoft's alternative controllers make them the best platform holder, imho. Sony's (and Nintendo's) refusal to even acknowledge this issue tells me all I need to know about how they view their player bases. Maybe if they start losing next generstion, as microsoft did this one, we might get a sony that actually tries to retain and attract customers. Because as it is, Sony makes very little effort to accommodate players, like how long dod it take to get system level button remapping? Can you remap on the switch?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Just turned 36 and I only play on easy now. I've got too many unfinished games to beat my head against one for too long and hate replaying levels. Ironically I love Bloodbourne though, the difficulty there feels right and earned.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 30 and find myself dropping difficulty on more and more games.

It's actually a lot more enjoyable and a better use of my time than trying to repeat things and get frustrated.