• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Cyberpunk isn't going to come to Gamepass day one. That would piss off everyone who preordered the game. What the hell are y'all smoking?

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
MS has the money to do it, and Phil has a lot more say into where that money goes. But didn't DMC5 cost them like an estimated $8m to get it on just console gamepass?

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I doubt it tbf, even with a larger developer such as Platinum it'd be a huge challenge.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They just got RDR2...

I just don't see it. I don't think they have the numbers to make that deal attractive to third party publishers. Obviously anything is possible and Microsoft basically prints money but at the same time, XBOX is still a division. It's be great if it happened for GP subscribers.

But given they're still giving away GP for less than a £1...

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I wouldn't expect a ""major"" 3rd party to publish all their games day 1 on game pass, unless it relies heavily on multiplayer.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Perhaps a game here and there but still think unlikely because there is so much money to be made day one for big games. I think the fact they invested so much in 1st party shows were their priorities are.
How much does Sony pay to keep a game.exclusive to their system? Microsoft could pay half that and still allow it on Sony and those devs would be fine.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I think people forget Phil Spencer is an EVP he only really answers to the CEO. Many decisions flow through him and access to money isn't really the issue if he's proven himself to be responsible with it as he has been. These studio acquisitions are his biggest test imo. Not getting game pass deals.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
All titles? I don't see it just yet... although do not rule out the power of Gamepass.

But more day one third party titles, including some AAA ones? Absolutely I can see that happening.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This thing has already got to be deep in the red. Which is fine, because I get Microsoft is looking at it from a long-term perspective. But at what point do they have to make it profitable? They can't just keep throwing money at it, right?
Well in terms of just Xbox, i remember reading for like a decade that they were still not profitable. I'm sure they will spend just as much time investing in game pass as well. And companies like Microsoft love their reliable monthly subscriptions so they will do everything in their power to grow it to the levels of say a Netflix, which is over like 100m subscribers.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
This thing has already got to be deep in the red. Which is fine, because I get Microsoft is looking at it from a long-term perspective. But at what point do they have to make it profitable? They can't just keep throwing money at it, right?
I've read somewhere that Microsoft has moved "Profit per sale" to a "Profit per user" for their internal tracking. So instead of Saying User#1464 bout Gears 5 for $60, and it cost us $40 to get it to them = $20 from User#1464.

They look at it like, User#5375 has been subscribed to Game pass ultimate for 12 months, He's paid $90 for this subscription after promotions. So far he's Played 25 games and redeemed every Gold game. We've spent $150 dollars to so far in their services. We expect to start making a profit on User#5375 in 5 months time.

Don't know if this is true, but it's a different way to look at it for sure.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It definitely would be one of the most Microsoft moves ever since they have the money to throw at it, but I don't think it will happen.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
You would be looking at 10's of millions of dollars per title for any publisher of note to want that. For games from the likes of BGS that would rise to 100s of millions. At that point they might as well invest that money in buying a Sega or a Capcom.

I do think they'll make some day one deals for certain high profile games and certainly we'll be seeing many of the very biggest titles coming to game pass within a year of release.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think the distinction between this and buying devs outright is interesting to consider. This method would almost certainly be cheaper, since the games are still multiplatform, and can make profit on other consoles. But by doing this, MS is reframing the perspective from "console exclusive" which can be seen as an anti-consumer move, to a "play for free/cheap with game pass", which is heavily pro-consumer. It almost accomplishes the same goal as having exclusive titles, but costs less and makes you look more pro-consumer. At some point there's a tipping point of playing your games on Xbox because you have to (exclusives) to playing games on Xbox because the value is just too good to pass up (Game Pass). If they made a move like this with a strong enough publisher, the net effect of selling consoles and GP subs would be similar to if they just bought the developer outright.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Why not?
Unprecedented Partnerships are eerything these companies like.

If it's Ubi, whoa!

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I still dont really understand how releasing their first party games on Gamepass makes sense for them.

This would cost so much money to do it outside of MS products I would thin.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
MS has the money to do it, and Phil has a lot more say into where that money goes. But didn't DMC5 cost them like an estimated $8m to get it on just console gamepass?
MS has the money yes.

Phil can decide what to do with Xbox budget, but not with the huge cash reserves (earned mostly by other divisions).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree OP. it's very possible we see a couple AAA games launch day one on the service. They definitely plan to go all in with GP next gen and its going to be a very interesting gen.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
For people not aware, the budget for Xbox has increased a lot in the last few years. Higher ups at MS are no longer ignoring Xbox and Phil has Satya's full backing, I can see it being possible with them striking deals like this with publishers; it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Game Pass is already doing more than I think most expected, this wouldn't surprise me. MS needs to swing for the fences this coming gen

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
How much money do you think they want to keep losing to push Game Pass? I can't see them making such a deal, as that would mean a big loss of sales for the developer/publisher.

Lo squalo

Nov 25, 2017
It does make sense for some pubs if the xbox has a relatively small userbase compared to PlayStation. There is a reason why the yakuza ports where on gp day one..

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Doubt this very much, they are investing all this money into first party studios so they can have day and date releases on game pass.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I could maybe see even smaller pubs like Devolver Digital.
Annapurna is the first one that comes to mind for me. Outer Wilds already came day one to the service, so it's not that far out of the question.

Yeah I could see Annapurna. The piub would beed to be big enough for the deal to drive subs, imo. Small indie titles would be great, but don't really command massive attention. Outer Wilds being such a breakout, I could see Annapurna being a good middle ground.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I could see that for a mid-tier game (as in not from a major publisher) like Dying Light 2 for instance (a game of that magnitude at least). But no, i don't think they will have a partnership with a publisher.

Another thing that could be possible is bringing yet another subscription to the platform, like EA Access on Xbox One. I'm thinking UPlay+ that was already announced for Stadia. No reason why Ubisoft wouldn't put UPlay+ on Xbox/xCloud too.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also I think people forget Phil Spencer is an EVP he only really answers to the CEO. Many decisions flow through him and access to money isn't really the issue if he's proven himself to be responsible with it as he has been. These studio acquisitions are his biggest test imo. Not getting game pass deals.

EVPs don't get to spend whatever they want. Xbox is a P&L within Microsoft. Their budget is set by the CEO and CFO. Phil can't just go spending Microsoft's money however he wants.

Aug 23, 2018
SEGA games releasing day and date going forward has been happening with Yakuza and I can continue to see that partnership expanding with actual new games releasing into the service