• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
You would be doing the world a favor if you upload those to the Launchbox DB and Emumovies databases.

Yeah I considered it, but the lack of ANY credit kinda bums me out when I've put so much time into them. I was putting them on thegamesdb but they removed their credit bit too.

I still might eventually.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Input lag is the main thing imo that ruins PCSX2 emulator, if it could be improved even slightly that would be nice

The best solution I've come up with is to turn VSync and framerate limiting off and use RTSS's scanline sync feature to limit the framerate. The only way to get lower latency than that in PCSX2 is to just turn off VSync, but that leads to either tearing or framepacing issues depending on a couple of factors.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can I just say that I appreciate your passion? I'm happy you're able to throw yourself into this =)

Nov 21, 2017
I was thinking of using emulation to play the PS2 Ace Combat games. I have never used a PS2 emulator. How complicated is it to set up? Is it hassle-free?

For the Ace Combat games, you need to do a bit more tinkering, but once you have the configs setup it's just pick up and Fox 2 some bandits:

www.youtube.com

Ace Combat PS2 Emulation Guide - 2019 Update

In this video, I go through the graphical settings available in the PCSX2 emulator and how to optimize them for Ace Combat 04, 5 and Zero. ►PCSX2 dev builds ...

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The best solution I've come up with is to turn VSync and framerate limiting off and use RTSS's scanline sync feature to limit the framerate. The only way to get lower latency than that in PCSX2 is to just turn off VSync, but that leads to either tearing or framepacing issues depending on a couple of factors.
Hmm that sounds similar to what these people tested but apparently they don't think it's any different with test results shown - https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Input-lag-in-PCSX2

Oct 31, 2017
It seems like you still don't own the JP release of Onimusha DoD... You should work on that, OP! ;)

As a reminder, Capcom USA fucked up the balancing in the western releases: enemies have way more health and unlocking shit takes a way longer time.

PCSX2 is definitely the best way to play a few PS2 games. Wild Arms 5 was a recent one for me as that game looks incredible at higher resolutions, but it's so blurry on hardware.

Played it for a few hours on a CRT months ago and it's not blurry at all.

I could be wrong, but I think it's more of a director's cut/remaster of the original, released on the PS2.

You're thinking about the OG game which was released on N64 and then PS2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
There was a Winback sequel? Hmm, I remember playing the first waiting for mgs2 to come out.

Haven't tried Winback 2 yet, but the original Winback seems to run well. I had some flickering on the splash screen but that seems to have gone away.

gsdx_20200831134627.png

gsdx_20200831134731.png

gsdx_20200831135904.png

Can I just say that I appreciate your passion? I'm happy you're able to throw yourself into this =)

Me too! :)

Oct 25, 2017
In the meantime I might try PCSX2 for Wizardry TotFL, just because I always worry about playing blue backs on PS2 hardware.
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a thing?

Literally yesterday, I plugged my PS2 slim in for the first time in 2+ years to see what games were on the Intellivision Lives compilation (a blue back disc) and the PS2 wouldn't read it. It would read Katamari Damacy (non-blue) just fine. I was too lazy to try any other discs, but just assumed the console was dying and I'd need to get a new one.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
How good does my PC need to be? The one I'm using is from 2009 basically. I have a fat PS2 and got all my games, so I really want to try this, but I have a feeling I won't be able to run it well. Realistically I'll probably just plug my PS2 in when I'm in the mood.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but is this a thing?

Literally yesterday, I plugged my PS2 slim in for the first time in 2+ years to see what games were on the Intellivision Lives compilation (a blue back disc) and the PS2 wouldn't read it. It would read Katamari Damacy (non-blue) just fine. I was too lazy to try any other discs, but just assumed the console was dying and I'd need to get a new one.

Blue discs are CD-ROM and are notoriously harder for the PS2 disc drive to read. Generally the ability to read blue discs is the first thing to go, but you can still read DVDs.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
Does anyone know=can i play with my macbook pro (retina) from 2012 8gm ram, internal graphics or can i use a xioami mi 10 fir better playability?
I heard retroarch has become so much better...

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Kill Switch seems to work without any issues, so that's great.

I had this PS2 demo disc and it had a Kill Switch demo on it. That's the only reason why I know of this games existence.

The reason Kill Switch caught my eye was because of the arcade-like cover shooter game play it had.

GAqURCo.jpg

bPJLRJR.jpg

gLgthxv.png

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I had to refund Evergrace since my disc drive was having trouble reading it.

Instead, I picked up a new game called S.L.A.I., which stands for Steel Lancer Arena International, or in other words, Phantom Crash.

Seems to work great on PCSX2, no issues yet.

It has vocal music tracks which really surprised me.

GQOmYnu.png

ztaL5yp.jpg

YP0u7Lg.png

kdE5c7j.jpg

Here are some music tracks:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Now that it's been basically confirmed that PS5 won't have PS2 BC, I've been thinking about this. So many great games that still hold up really well.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Question!

I'm trying to figure out all of this PS2 emulation stuff, and the one part I'm having an issue on is how to dump my own games.

I read somewhere that retroarch allows you to do it, so I downloaded that, but when I try to dump a disc (Shadow Hearts to be specific), it just ends up very quickly creating an empty file.

Any suggestions on how to dump discs?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question!

I'm trying to figure out all of this PS2 emulation stuff, and the one part I'm having an issue on is how to dump my own games.

I read somewhere that retroarch allows you to do it, so I downloaded that, but when I try to dump a disc (Shadow Hearts to be specific), it just ends up very quickly creating an empty file.

Try out Isobuster, also you mention very quickly but I think it at least takes a few seconds/minutes to dump something, based on my experience. Not sure how quick it is now.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Question!

I use ImgBurn, it's free and really easy to use: https://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Open up ImgBurn.

Select "Create image file from disc".

Insert your disc into the disc drive and it should automatically pop up under "Destination".

After it appears, click the little magnifying glass over the folder icon, and choose a destination where you want the .iso to be created. (You can also rename the .iso here before saving)

Once the destination is chosen, click the disc icon below to start up the process.

Wait until it's done. :D

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just playing We <3 Katamari today 😊 The latest build of pcsx2 feels really nice and solid! You inspired me to dig up Shinobi and Nightshade though, so thank you so much for that! Haha

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Try out Isobuster, also you mention very quickly but I think it at least takes a few seconds/minutes to dump something, based on my experience. Not sure how quick it is now.

Thanks! Isobuster worked!

Now I'm going to go on a tear of my PS2 collection!

On the agenda:

Shadow Hearts
Samurai Western
Unlimited SaGa
Gungrave Overdose
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
Grandia 3/Xtreme

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Even though its super busted at time, retroarch and pcsx2 on the series X has been awesome to play my imported copy of Dragon Quest 5 PS2, which I don't care who you are is the best version of the game and the best dragon quest style ever.

As far as I can tell runs awesome/flawlessly.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Is there a way to get around pressure sensitive buttons?

I'm using a DS4 and playing Onimusha 3 and realized they use pressure sensitive functionality for the lock on/charge mechanic, so I cant really lock on without always charging.

Any easy way to avoid this?

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Question: Is there a way to get around pressure sensitive buttons?

I'm using a DS4 and playing Onimusha 3 and realized they use pressure sensitive functionality for the lock on/charge mechanic, so I cant really lock on without always charging.

Any easy way to avoid this?

Hmm, good question.

I don't know if this'll work but try going into your gamepad settings in PCSX2 > Pad 1 tab > and click on any of the bindings you have set > this should bring up sensitivity options.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish it was more accurate, plenty of games still have visual bugs that aren't supposed to be there.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Never liking PCSX2...
Loving recently DuckStation, RPCSX3 and Dolphin... but PCSX2... too many buggy, x64 version never coming, unstable perfromance, sluttering audio/video, plugin modification

Just nice for custom resolution...

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Oh I love this thread! One of my projects last year was backing up all my PS2 games (and buying some :D) and getting this set up.

I use Playnite as my launcher, and stream them to my phone using Moonlight Game Streaming, and play them with my xbox controller clipped to my phone. It's really fun playing PS2 games via mobile.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Even though its super busted at time, retroarch and pcsx2 on the series X has been awesome to play my imported copy of Dragon Quest 5 PS2, which I don't care who you are is the best version of the game and the best dragon quest style ever.

As far as I can tell runs awesome/flawlessly.
Just saw that I missed this comment. Yes, DQ V on PS2 with English Patch is by far the best version! Just recently was playing through that a bit. I've had the import copy for ages, one of my favorite DQ games.