• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For years I've been gaming on my 1080p 144hz monitor and my 2011 Panasonic 48 inch TV. I used to think 4K was overrated and not worth it at all so I was dead set on always gaming at 1080p.

I had that mindset until recently when I bought a TCL 55R617. It was on sale when I found it online and I decided "fuck it, why not?" and bought the TV. In anticipation for the TV I bought Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Uncharted 4. I'm blown away by how sharp and crisp everything looks at resolutions higher than 1080p. The brightness and colors of HDR is absolutely face melting with the games I bought.

I was even blown away by the games I owned, GT Sport is gorgeous and the cars look amazing with HDR, Shadow of the Colossus was insanely sharp and clean, and No Man's Sky looked amazing too.

I've seen plenty of posts of people complaining that "HDR looks washed out" and that they "don't see a difference" but I absolutely do see the difference, and all of the games I've played were bright with vibrant colors.

I am so blown away by 4K and HDR that I'm going to buy another Xbox One X (first one died and I sold it) just to experience Forza Horizon 4 and a bunch of other games in 4K. I wish my PC was powerful enough to handle 4K gaming smoothly, but that's okay.

My only complaint about the TV is that the corners are slightly dimmer than the rest of the screen, but for the price I paid (~$550) it's something I can look past because the picture quality is incredible.

Bring on next gen!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
4K is still overrated for the amount of resources it requires. Proper HDR has always been a game changer and a much bigger upgrade when implemented correctly.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Welcome. It really is hard to go back after experiencing 4K on a great screen, even more so with HDR. It's easily distinguishable from 1440/1080p from my experience. There's a level of crispness and clarity that just makes every image pop.

Next gen's going to be wild.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think HDR is a little overrated, personally. Higher framerates and Gsync are a bigger game changer imo.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I am so blown away by 4K and HDR that I'm going to buy another Xbox One X (first one died and I sold it) just to experience Forza Horizon 4 and a bunch of other games in 4K. I wish my PC was powerful enough to handle 4K gaming smoothly, but that's okay.

Have you considered taking your Xbox One X money and buying a 2080 GPU ? Your PC will be able to handle Forza 4K @ higher settings.

Nov 30, 2017
Holy shit you win. What a haul and a jump into 4k and glorious HDR. I also have all those and your set for a long while.

Theres no going back now, Forza is also gorgeous.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have you considered taking your Xbox One X money and buying a 2080 GPU ? Your PC will be able to handle Forza 4K @ higher settings.

Since it was broken I only managed to get $175 out of it, and I was so pissed off that it broke I used the money on other things. I am already making plans to start saving up for a PC when Ryzen 4xxx and Nvidia's next GPU releases so I'm ready for next gen games on PC. Thankfully my GTX 980 can play older games in 4K pretty decently so I'm doing that for now.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same tv as you and idk, I like the 4k clarity but I still don't feel that HDR is anything worthwhile.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
it's funny you mention this because for some reason HDR seemingly "broke" on my TCL 6 series/xbox one x combination. I have no idea the issue, but a couple days ago firing up destiny 2 looked incredibly washed out and dim. Almost back and white. I tried a bunch of fixes, trying different HDMI inputs, even switching HDMI cables, it happened on other games too, but not the Xbox menu. So it appears to be tied to Xbox One X in game only.

Anyways the temp fix I ended up figuring out was to uncheck "4k UHD" in Xbox video settings. This at least got the brightness and color back to tolerable levels. So now it's just outputting a 1080P SDR image I guess.

And the funny thing is on a 65" tV, I really dont notice that much. Yeah 4k HDR looks better, but I'd put it at like 30% better. Significant, but not dealbreaking.

If that's even whats going on, i have no freaking idea. I'm just trusting that what I'm looking at is 1080P/no HDR, there's no HDR badge on startup of the game anyway, and like I said 4K UHD is unchecked in Xbox settings.

I dont know the issue but thinking about it I'm guessing a TCL update broke HDR with Xbox One X. For all I know it's already been fixed in another update, I havent checked.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think HDR is a little overrated, personally. Higher framerates and Gsync are a bigger game changer imo.

HDR is a fundamental change to the way we display an image on a screen, the biggest change in decades. As a tool for artists, It's literally a game changer.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
it's funny you mention this because for some reason HDR seemingly "broke" on my TCL 6 series/xbox one x combination. I have no idea the issue, but a couple days ago firing up destiny 2 looked incredibly washed out and dim. Almost back and white. I tried a bunch of fixes, trying different HDMI inputs, even switching HDMI cables, it happened on other games too, but not the Xbox menu. So it appears to be tied to Xbox One X in game only.

Anyways the temp fix I ended up figuring out was to uncheck "4k UHD" in Xbox video settings. This at least got the brightness and color back to tolerable levels. So now it's just outputting a 1080P SDR image I guess.

And the funny thing is on a 65" tV, I really dont notice that much. Yeah 4k HDR looks better, but I'd put it at like 30% better. Significant, but not dealbreaking.

If that's even whats going on, i have no freaking idea. I'm just trusting that what I'm looking at is 1080P/no HDR, there's no HDR badge on startup of the game anyway, and like I said 4K UHD is unchecked in Xbox settings.

I dont know the issue but thinking about it I'm guessing a TCL update broke HDR with Xbox One X. For all I know it's already been fixed in another update, I havent checked.

That sounds like a classic faulty/cheap/long HDMI cable situation.

Also, if the image is looking as you describe, that almost sounds like the console is outputting HDR, but the Tv isn't treating it as such

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
For years I've been gaming on my 1080p 144hz monitor and my 2011 Panasonic 48 inch TV. I used to think 4K was overrated and not worth it at all so I was dead set on always gaming at 1080p.

Pretty much everyone until they ACTUALLY sit and see 4K HDR in a good set, instead of sticking with online comparisons or badly calibrated displays.

Now that you have experienced the HDR magic (which is the actual revelation here, 4K is just more clarity), you will not want to go back.

The next step is the Oled experience. Seeing the actual blacks and wide color gamut being painted on top of those blacks... = best IQ on consumer display.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much everyone until they ACTUALLY sit and see 4K HDR in a good set, instead of sticking with online comparisons or badly calibrated displays.

Now that you have experienced the HDR magic (which is the actual revelation here, 4K is just more clarity), you will not want to go back.

The next step is the Oled experience. Seeing the actual blacks and wide color gamut being painted on top of those blacks... = best IQ on consumer display.

I'm already blown away by how deep the blacks are on this TCL. My old Panasonic had blacks that were more of a really dark blue. I'll jump to OLED someday (most likely soon if it's that good), are there any good OLED 4K monitors?

Last edited:

TKG

Apr 26, 2018
Istanbul, Turkey
Recently, I moved to 4K/HDR gaming too but I didn't worth it for me. I mean, 4K is always good but HDR felt like just a gimmick. I bought a Samsung 50RU7400, I guess it's an entry-level TV. Probably that's why HDR is underwhelming for me.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Recently, I moved to 4K/HDR gaming too but I didn't worth it for me. I mean, 4K is always good but HDR felt like just a gimmick. I bought a Samsung 50RU7400, I guess it's an entry-level TV. Probably that's why HDR is underwhelming for me.

A lot of TVs have HDR branding slapped on them but don't output it anywhere near well enough to make a big difference.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
That sounds like a classic faulty/cheap/long HDMI cable situation.

Also, if the image is looking as you describe, that almost sounds like the console is outputting HDR, but the Tv isn't treating it as such

Weird i checked the xbox settings just now and its back to 4k uhd checked which i didnt do so it must have done it itself. But i dont think its outputting hdr because there used to be an hdr badge on destiny startup now there isnt. Im not sure how to check if its hdr, but the only overlay i pull up says 4k uhd nothing about hdr.

Still guessing it's tcl's fault

I dont have any other hdr devices or monitors for testing..

Also as mentioned i switched cables and same? Not to say i rule that out now that you bring it up. Not long cable maybe 4-5 feet and it worked before

Picture is ok now just i dont think its hdr

Last edited:

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
I've read so much about TLC but here in the UK we got the cheapestly done ones, and the reviews are livid.
I'll like to find a budget 43' and so far hisense seems the best choice.
I'm kind of scared from all the weird thing some users seem to incur with this TVs.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Weird i checked the xbox settings just now and its back to 4k uhd checked which i didnt do so it must have done it itself. But i dont think its outputting hdr because there used to be an hdr badge on destiny startup now there isnt. Im not sure how to check if its hdr, but the only overlay i pull up says 4k uhd nothing about hdr.

Still guessing it's tcl's fault

I dont have any other hdr devices or monitors for testing..

Picture is ok now just i dont think its hdr
I have the 615/617 and I can tell you it doesn't always show that HDR badge even though it is in HDR mode. Especially when I connect my PC to my TCL. The way I can tell is by the following:

You press the options(*) button and if you can cycle through the different HDR presets (Dark HDR, Light) you are in HDR mode. If you weren't in HDR, this option completely disappears.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
i want to see the light. Anyone have any reccomendations for something great in the 400-500 $ range?

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
First time experiencing 4k HDR on my Xbox One X instantly made me a believer

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'm already blown away by how deep the blacks are on this TCL. My old Panasonic had blacks that were more of a really dark blue. I'll jump to OLED someday (most likely soon if it's that good), are there any good OLED 4K monitors?

You can consider last years LG C8 Oled as your monitor in Game or PC Mode with extremely low input lag (less than 22 ms), the best blacks, great 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision and fantastic upscaling for 480/720/1080p content.

It should be very cheap by next year (its already dramatically cheaper now).

Review:

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
In my opinion, higher framerate with gsync/freesync is much better than 4k. I would almost go for 1440p 144hz over 4k 60 fps.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You can consider last years LG C8 Oled as your monitor in Game or PC Mode with extremely low input lag (less than 22 ms), the best blacks, great 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision and fantastic upscaling for 480/720/1080p content.

It should be very cheap by next year (its already dramatically cheaper now).

Review:

That LG seems awesome but it's out of my price range and I'm going to focus on saving for a new PC. Is there a good OLED monitor for around $300? If so then I'll use part of my tax returns to get it.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
That LG seems awesome but it's out of my price range and I'm going to focus on saving for a new PC. Is there a good OLED monitor for around $300? If so then I'll use part of my tax returns to get it.

I dont belive so (at this moment). I would still recommend you to check the previous years LG models some months down the road. You have a very new set, enjoy it for now, and once you are ready, go with Oled.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Good HDR implementation on a decent HDR TV is just unbelievable. GT Sport on my Samsung Q6FN still makes my jaw drop regularly.

Native 4K I haven't found to be as important. A good checkerboard rendering implementation with decent filtering looks almost as good. Again, GT Sport itself makes a fantastic argument for checkerboard rendering on a 4K set with whatever AA/temporal AA solutions it's using. It looks sharper AND less jaggy than many of my PC games running at native 4K with inferior filtering. Project Cars 2 for instance has horrible shimmering.

predprey

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
HDR is great when implemented correctly, but some games like FFXV have prerendered movie cutscenes which were probably not mastered in HDR properly. This results in washed out low contrast cutscenes, and horrendous banding when displaying clouds in the sky (e.g. FFXV ending), thankfully there weren't too many of such prerendered movie clips across the entire game.

Jul 26, 2018
I don't have HDR, but by just playing Battlefield V 4K, ultra 60FPS on my new RTX 2080 Super, it made my jaw completely dropped...

and I can't imagine what HDR will do.. I would probably fell back of my chair haha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont belive so (at this moment). I would still recommend you to check the previous years LG models some months down the road. You have a very new set, enjoy it for now, and once you are ready, go with Oled.

Oh yeah for sure. I'm most likely moving to a new place in 2021 so I'll look into getting an LG OLED then to have it in the living room while my current TV will be in the bedroom.

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala

I had that mindset until recently when I bought a TCL 55R617. It was on sale when I found it online and I decided "fuck it, why not?" and bought the TV. In anticipation for the TV I bought Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Uncharted 4. I'm blown away by how sharp and crisp everything looks at resolutions higher than 1080p. The brightness and colors of HDR is absolutely face melting with the games I bought.

I was even blown away by the games I owned, GT Sport is gorgeous and the cars look amazing with HDR, Shadow of the Colossus was insanely sharp and clean, and No Man's Sky looked amazing too.

I've seen plenty of posts of people complaining that "HDR looks washed out" and that they "don't see a difference" but I absolutely do see the difference, and all of the games I've played were bright with vibrant colors.

My only complaint about the TV is that the corners are slightly dimmer than the rest of the screen, but for the price I paid (~$550) it's something I can look past because the picture quality is incredible.

Bring on next gen!

that's nice man! i just bought a ps4 pro but dont have a 4k tv and im looking for one, that TCL brand is good? i really dont want to spend that much but not as cheap to regret buying one.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
4K is good... but HDR is the game changer I agree. Both in games and movies, a good HDR solution can be fantastic.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
4K with proper HDR implemention IS fantastic. They work hand in hand. HDR takes advantage of 4K's higher pixel count by expanding the range of colors on display, thus the level detail is even greater. There is no going back.

Nov 8, 2017
What does that have to do with anything? You can have 4K HDR 60fps.

Everything should be in HDR. SDR just looks so flat in comparison.
I know, but how often do we actually get 4K 60fps games in practice? It's usually either one or the other; very rarely both. And it's very often neither.

I'm just saying that I'd rather games make a real different by consistently hitting decent framerates before we start worrying about the negligible gains from upping the resolution. I agree on the HDR part though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It is. Switching between HDR and SDR in a game with my C8 shows how much of a deal HDR is. SDR just looks so bland and flat.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I jumped in with RDR2 and an XB1X last Black Friday. It was indeed glorious, although the HDR wasn't as good as God of War (for which even upscaled 1080p was fantastic with good HDR). I'm finding a lot of XB1X titles lack good HDR implementations. I'm not sure if that's my settings or the games i'm playing or what. FH4 is the only game that really stands out.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Meh. I will pretty much always choose a lower resolution in order to get higher frame rates.

HDR tho... yep. Shame it was broken on Windows for ages.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
What does that have to do with anything? You can have 4K HDR 60fps.

Everything should be in HDR. SDR just looks so flat in comparison.

Yeah this, these guys coming in with their frame numbers always baffles me in these threads. Talking like you can't have high frames without HDR.

Glad you finally see what HDR is all about OP.