• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Hear me out guys, pretend the movie doesn't exist... better yet?

Yeah, it's absurd how people act about that movie. You'd think it killed their pet or something lol. It wasn't even that bad, there's been far worse superhero movies. Maybe people don't realize it wasn't just a movie concept. It's been around in the comics since the '80s.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, can you imagine being a Rocksteady employee and reading this thread? What a bummer.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's Rocksteady, I'll play anything from them
I know ERA will hate it if it's multiplayer GAAS tho (I actually like some of those unlike 99% of ERA so 🤷‍♂️)

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be some Destiny-style service game with "Suicide Squad missions" as the framing device, isn't it? No thanks. (Though my issue would be more with the genre than the IP.)

Oct 24, 2019
Every time I play Arkham Knight and I see the LexCorp and Metropolis posters I get a little sad inside.

I'm with ya man. Aside from relying on Joker a bit too much for my liking, Rocksteady did such a great job with most of Batman's villains. I would've loved to see their take on Lex, Metallo, Bizarro, Parasite, Zod, etc.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
...Eh.

Interest-levels will be determined by the in-game roster. Of course, it's gonna have characters that are prominent in other current ongoing media like Harley, Deadshot, Shark, Croc, Ivy, etc. I'd even expect Tiger, because he's one of the team's OGs.

I'm more interested in seeing a few more surprising picks, since this version of the team doesn't "have" to play by the comics' rules.

Green Stig

Feb 27, 2019
Would have preferred the rumor that went around that this was more 'Outsiders'ish to be hones
much for Suicide Squad.
bekphnqftcb41.jpg
t. Never cared

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
My only experience with suicide squad was the movie and it was awful. So not excited for this 👎🏻👎🏻

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
If it's actually a GaaS, then Suicide Squad makes sense. You could even be making your own character and if you die you may make a whole new one. Could work, but might suck!

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Could turn out good I guess, even if on paper I'm not exactly as excited for a -- most likely -- multiplayer game from Rocksteady.
Suicide Squad as a team is really cool though, but the movie was a lot of people's introduction to it sadly.
It'll definitely need a good reveal to get a lot of people onboard that wouldve otherwise probably been interested.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Jason (or another insider) debunked this rumour once. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Oct 24, 2019
...Eh.

Interest-levels will be determined by the in-game roster. Of course, it's gonna have characters that are prominent in other current ongoing media like Harley, Deadshot, Shark, Croc, Ivy, etc. I'd even expect Tiger, because he's one of the team's OGs.

I'm more interested in seeing a few more surprising picks, since this version of the team doesn't "have" to play by the comics' rules.

If there's no Polka Dot Man and Condiment King, then what's even the point?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's absurd how people act about that movie. You'd think it killed their pet or something lol. It wasn't even that bad, there's been far worse superhero movies. Maybe people don't realize it wasn't just a movie concept. It's been around in the comics since the '80s.

I haven't read the older ones but I thought the Adam Glass stuff was decent, and I didn't love the movie but yeah, it brings out a lot of hyperbole in people.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with Suicide Squad, provided the roster is good. The possibilities are pretty endless, given how often the team has changed. Besides the mainstays like Harley, Bronze Tiger, Captain Boomerang, and Deadshot, you also have: Deathstroke, Bane, Killer Frost, Killer Croc, Black Manta, Cheetah, Parasite, Reverse-Flash, and many more to choose from. Poison Ivy and Talon were intended to be on the Suicide Squad at one point; Talon would fit particularly well if it's going to be connected to WB Games Montreal's Court of Owls game in any way.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Obviously gonna be timed to release around Gunn's movie. I wonder if they've been working on this since the first film.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with ya man. Aside from relying on Joker a bit too much for my liking, Rocksteady did such a great job with most of Batman's villains. I would've loved to see their take on Lex, Metallo, Bizarro, Parasite, Zod, etc.
We even got a glimpse of their Lex Luthor. Remember the voicemail?
I feel like Jason (or another insider) debunked this rumour once. Maybe I'm misremembering.
As someone who tracks WBM and Rocksteady's every move, I can confirm they have not. This is all accurate.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Whatever Rocksteady is making, it's a loot grind game that probably has a lot of guns and is probably Destiny-like.

What are you basing this on? Is that from this video?

So a different WB studio was working on that Suicide Squad game?

I had always heard the Suicide Squad game that got canned was from WB Montreal, but I may be mistaken. I know there was also a Batman game that got canceled that was also supposed to be them, so I might have those flip-flopping.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when everyone freaked out about how awful a Mario + Rabbids hybrid sounded and then it turned out to be one of the best games of that year?

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, can you imagine being a Rocksteady employee and reading this thread? What a bummer.
I feel bad for them if it's true. The masses likely will not be pleased. I don't think anyone wanted to return to ground-level small-time shit after the Arkham series scope kept expanding. I think nearly all DC fans wanted Supes or a Lantern game or something similar. Something large scale where people could point to it and say "Hey, it's possible to do these characters justice." and further open the door for even more ambitious characters and teams. But maybe I'm completely wrong.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
it is strange how hard DC wants the Suicide Squad IP to make it :P

Well, it's a good concept! A bunch of rotating villains that you can kill or write off when you need to, going out to hunt down other criminals against their will? I can see the appeal, even if they have yet to hit the landing in a non-comic medium yet

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
There are much better teams in the DC Universe that I would have been a lot more interested in. Do an Outsiders game, a Young Justice game, a Titans Game, a Justice League game.

At least then people would recognize the characters because the majority of people's frame of reference for Suicide Squad is the movie, which has less than a poor reception nowadays.

I'm interested to see how the game turns out though, but I do agree with the sentiment that grinding for gear with a team I'm not a fan of is a bigger ask than playing as some of my favorite DC characters (Nightwing/Batgirl/Static/Starfire/Blue Beetle/Red Robin/Donna Troy.)

Oct 26, 2017
What are you basing this on? Is that from this video?

I had always heard the Suicide Squad game that got canned was from WB Montreal, but I may be mistaken. I know there was also a Batman game that got canceled that was also supposed to be them, so I might have those flip-flopping.

They have hired a lot of weapon/loot designers and GaaS focused people.

www.resetera.com

Rocksteady Hires Product Manager Specializing in GaaS

This comes from the Batman: Arkham subreddit. Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/BatmanArkham/comments/8mk5rv/rumorsleaks_megathread/dzohrg6/ In the post, written by reddit user virgilhawkins17, they share a linkedin profile from a product manager who works for WB Game. The profile...

Oct 24, 2019

WB Montreal had both a Damien Wayne and Suicide Squad game in the works at various points, and both got canceled. Which explains why they haven't released anything in 7 years lol

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I never said everyone dies all the time. However, they need to make the audience *think* that just about anyone could die at any time. It's totally boring if you have a team like Harley, Deadshot, Deathstroke, Bane, and Condiment King, because it's obvious who would be the token sacrifice there.

Therefore most of the team needs to be theoretically dispensable for the whole premise to have any weight to it, hence why the team is chock full of D-listers.

OR, and I find it highly unlikely for WB to do this, they have to commit to killing off one or more of their A-listers to prove that they'll let anyone die (no resurrections allowed lol)

More likely you'd replace Condiment King with another A-Lister, and none of them die. It's just villains being forced to go on missions.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
As I posted years ago, make it the next Overwatch with unique DC characters instead of just another licensed action-adventure game