• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just like the title says: I have 400 (four hundred) hours in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, haven't missed a day since March 20th launch and since Redd came as an update I have exactly 4 (four) pieces of art in my gallery, one was mandatory day one present the other three were purchased after a careful analysis of his shady pieces. Van Gogh's Starry Night helped a lot. FYI, my fossils are done and I have every single bug and fish from March-June.

Is this normal?
How is everybody else doing?
Is Nintendo planning to patch this?
Will my suffering be eternal?
Do I have to literally play this for two years to get every piece of art?

Dougie (s03 Twin Peaks) : Send help.

Edit: just to clarify, I understand my total time playing has nothing to do with Redd, but wanted to add it to the whole story to show just how ridiculously unrewarding it is to play for so many hours and to get such a tiny window of mere opportunity to get an art piece. The grind? It's real. Thay's why I mentioned my playtime.

Last edited:

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Don't know how you feel about time travel purity, but if you get him to spawn once you can keep him there and restocking by skipping back and forth in a given pattern. My wife has completed her collection, and just by getting her duplicates I'm down to missing only like 4 pieces.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Did you bought any art at a friend's island or just the ones that comes to yours ?

Also 400 hours don't mean anything since Redd only appeared 2 months after the release

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Add a second profile so you can buy two pieces of legit art whenever there's more than one available. I've also bought art on my friends' islands. I think I have 9 pieces.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I've seen Redd twice. I never even got the mandatory first meeting with him either. It seems so weirdly rare to have him.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I've played every day since the game came out. Haven't seen Redd in like a month. And the last time he showed up all of his pieces were forgeries.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
When Redd first appeared he came just under once a week for me, maybe every 8 or 9 days. I haven't seen him once in about three weeks now though. I also haven't had someone staying at the campsite for almost as long.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I've said this several times, but the fact that Leif is a weekly visitor and Redd isn't is the weirdest choice in a long series of weird choices in this game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Is ok not being able too acquire everything. That makes the art more special in my eyes.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Yeah. This is sort of the same thing I dislike about AC:NH. A lot of character are time based so if you ever want to go for 100% you will never be able to get them all =/

Kind of wish they would set up a shop.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Filling out the museum was the only thing I found fun about this game since there's a severe lack of content otherwise, and the Redd system completely took that away from me. Done with this game until a major amount of content gets patched in that should have been at launch.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally, they'll give Kicks, Leif, and Label their old stores back so that they're no longer competing for the weekday special visitor slots. That would allow CJ, Flick, Gulliver, Redd, and Sahara to show up every week.

Oct 29, 2017
I have around 200 hours and like 40% of the art gallery done thanks to trading and having friends letting me come over when Redd's at their island. It's very easy when you're starting out and have nothing, but now it's starting to become a little bit harder because I'm not finding what I'm missing.

Redd came to my island yesterday, for example, and the only legit painting he had on sale was already displayed on my museum (the fruit face one).

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm at almost 400 hours and only have a few pieces as well, though have been forgetting to check for Redd lately.

The museum is one thing I want to do without trading.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I have 6 art pieces so far.

Yeeeeaahhh.... I'm never finishing the art wing of the museum lol.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
We have 4 as well. He seems about as rare as the bug/fish duo. I always get the Sloth or Kicks as the visitor it feels like. Then Sahara, then Label.

I wish the visitors could come on Saturday/Sunday when KK and Daisy are there.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in a similar situation. To add insult to injury the last time he showed up they were all fake.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this normal? Yes
How is everybody else doing? I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking.
Is Nintendo planning to patch this? No plans.
Will my suffering be eternal? Maybe.
Do I have to literally play this for two years to get every piece of art? Correct.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Have only had one visiti following the initial meeting with Redd, it's a joke that he hasn't shown up since then.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
well, hours doesnt mean a lot when you are addressing number of art itens, since you can spend 24h in a day, and redd show up a couple of days in a month.

JD_Lars

Oct 2, 2018
I've seen him 4 times total in about two or three months. The last time he came all of the art he had was fake. I was so pissed.

I don't want to time travel, but once I'm done with everything else I may do it just for the art.

OP
OP
m4st4

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't know how you feel about time travel purity, but if you get him to spawn once you can keep him there and restocking by skipping back and forth in a given pattern. My wife has completed her collection, and just by getting her duplicates I'm down to missing only like 4 pieces.
This is a legit good advice... But I've never time travelled and feel like I'm going to cheat my way of playing in a way. Like if I do that, there will be no purpose to play it anymore.

Already there's no content for me. I just finished TLOU: Part II and island feels monotonous and boring right now. Did everything I wanted with it. Just waiting for July bug/fish updates and hopefully something substantial in a form of either patch or dlc.

However, I plan on time travelling once I'm truly DONE with the game, just to finish the damn gallery and collections! Thanks.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had Redd three times. The last time was almost six weeks ago and he only had fakes lmao

My museum is 2/3 done though. Bless Nookazon

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It's a bit frustrating, but it hasn't much to do with how many hours you've played given the nature of AC.
He shows up (like other non-weekly visitors) either every two weeks, or three weeks.
Sahara, Leif and Kicks show every week, between Monday and Friday.
Which means two days are left for CJ, Flick, Gulliver, Reed and Label.
For instance, week 1 : you get Gulliver and Label. Next week, they won't show up, they can't.
Week 2 : you get CJ and Flick. Next week, thet won't show up. Since Redd hasn't shown up, he'll be there next week.
Week 3 : Redd, and either Gulliver or Label. Let's say you get Gulliver.

And after that, week 4, you can get Label, CJ, or Flick, but not Gulliver nor Redd.

People who say they haven't seen Redd in months, I'm sorry but you missed him, this was datamined, and it has indeed worked exactly like this for me so far. Knowing this, it has become WAY LESS frustrating to wait for him. At least I know it's not totally random.
This game is supposed to be played for years, this is why the devs don't want you to get everything so fast.

Honestly at some point, just time travel to get it all.

Also, villagers can randomly send you art too, but sometimes it's fake. I've received 2 fakes, and one real.

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
Redd is part of the reason I stopped playing a few weeks ago. It was the only activity I wanted to keep doing and he only showed up twice. The second time, every piece of art was fake.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
After almost a month of no-shows, he finally showed up on my island and I just never let him leave. I TT'd forward a day and then back to "his" day until I competed the art wing. I got so many dupes that I completed over half of my mom's art collection too.
He is way too rare.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Yeah it's pretty normal. I think I have ~4 pieces myself. I think he only shows up once a month at best.

It's always been this frustrating. Previous games have the same problem and I've never bothered to finish the museum. I think this is only the second time I've finished the fossils.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit frustrating, but it hasn't much to do with how many hours you've played given the nature of AC.
He shows up (like other non-weekly visitors) either every two weeks, or three weeks.
Sahara, Leif and Kicks show every week, between Monday and Friday.
Which means two days are left for CJ, Flick, Gulliver, Reed and Label.
For instance, week 1 : you get Gulliver and Label. Next week, they won't show up, they can't.
Week 2 : you get CJ and Flick. Next week, thet won't show up. Since Redd hasn't shown up, he'll be there next week.
Week 3 : Redd, and either Gulliver or Label. Let's say you get Gulliver.

And after that, week 4, you can get Label, CJ, or Flick, but not Gulliver nor Redd.

People who say they haven't seen Redd in months, I'm sorry but you missed him, this was datamined, and it has indeed worked exactly like this for me so far. Knowing this, it has become WAY LESS frustrating to wait for him. At least I know it's not totally random.
This game is supposed to be played for years, this is why the devs don't want you to get everything so fast.

Honestly at some point, just time travel to get it all.

Also, villagers can randomly send you art too, but sometimes it's fake. I've received 2 fakes, and one real.
The datamine only said that each week, the visitors you didn't have the previous week would be given priority. But that just results in 2 of the 3 noshows getting picked with the third being passed on. This can continue week by week and if you are very unlucky you can have one just not be drawn for weeks in a row.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen Gulliver since the big update that added Redd and Leif.
Bruh, I'm never going to be able to build this fucking robot without those parts
It seems like something they could fix with a patch, considering how quick they were to do that during the Bunny Day events when people complained about too many eggs everywhere

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The datamine only said that each week, the visitors you didn't have the previous week would be given priority. But that just results in 2 of the 3 noshows getting picked with the third being passed on. This can continue week by week and if you are very unlucky you can have one just not be drawn for weeks in a row.
Guess I've been really lucky then because so far it has always work like I've said for me, I've taken note of who I got each week. In three weeks, I always got them all. Usually I get Redd every two weeks though so yeah I'm really really lucky on that one.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
This is a legit good advice... But I've never time travelled and feel like I'm going to cheat my way of playing in a way. Like if I do that, there will be no purpose to play it anymore.

Already there's no content for me. I just finished TLOU: Part II and island feels monotonous and boring right now. Did everything I wanted with it. Just waiting for July bug/fish updates and hopefully something substantial in a form of either patch or dlc.

However, I plan on time travelling once I'm truly DONE with the game, just to finish the damn gallery and collections! Thanks.

If you decide to do it, it goes like this: Let's say he spawns on your island tomorrow (gonna be using dates from my timezone here), June 25th. Check his selection, weed out fakes, buy a piece, all the normal stuff. Travel backwards to the day before he spawned (24th), and just log in and out of the game. Then travel forward to his spawn day (25th). You should get the Isabelle screen, which resets his stock but not his spawn. So he'll be there, but with a new selection. The selection is aggravatingly random - it doesn't care about what you already have, and he can show up with nothing but fakes. You can, however, repeat this process infinitely, including if you let time advance to the days after his spawn - as long as you don't let the game advance to the next week.

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
It barely helps, but you can buy from your friend's redd. You can't buy the same one your friend bought but there's a chance they have more than one real artwork.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
this version of AC is staggered af or it feels like it to me. i get the same recipes, furniture, etc. I see videos of people having mad stuff and i figure theyre time travelling. new leaf felt more spontaneous as did the gc version

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
The lack of meaningful events and the sparse showing of Redd were the two things that convinced me to put it down, after 140 or so hours.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've seen him twice total since this all began. So rare that I forget the art stuff is even a thing in the game anymore.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had Redd appear only once after the initial meeting.

in the initial meeting he gave me a Serene Painting, one of the few with no fake.

the second and only other time he appeared the only legit painting he had was... the Serene Painting.

so i have one piece of art in my gallery, OP