• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Now that Apex is out and seems to be generating good buzz, Dice is looking even more foolish with their delayed BR mode. EA isn't known for their loving support as it is, and BR needs far more support than traditional MP modes, so I have my doubts that Battlefield is going to succeed in this area.

Do you have any expectations for BF BR at this point?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who says Apex is going to last long? For all we know this game could be dead in 2 months like any other "Follow the Leader" game we've seen come and go so many times.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
In general, RIP Battlefield V. That was just a bungled launch all around. Battlefield V should have been in the top 3 of the NPDs.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely zero interest in BF BR now. I enjoyed what I played of V but I have very little interest in returning.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
They will be quite different, but I still think it's weird of EA to launch them so close to each other.

May 17, 2018
Apex Legends is the best BR game I've ever played, and I've sunk a lot of time into PubG, Fortnite and Blackout. The gamefeel and QoL features in AL are incredible.

I'm genuinely glad it's a great game, but, people said TF2 was the best FPS of this gen and no one played it either.

We're one day in on this game. I hope it's a hit but way too early for predictions like this.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
The BR for BFV should have been at launch but if it was not for this thread I even forgot it had one. Anyways both are going to be different.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Apex is out and seems to be generating good buzz, Dice is looking even more foolish with their delayed BR mode. EA isn't known for their loving support as it is, and BR needs far more support than traditional MP modes, so I have my doubts that Battlefield is going to succeed in this area.

Do you have any expectations for BF BR at this point?

Well DICE isn't developing their BR mode and EA has never done a full on GaaS before, not to mention that both Battlefield 3, 4, and 1 had incredible post launch support, so not sure what you're talking about when it comes to the whole "EA isn't known for their loving support" because EA isn't the one supporting these games, it's DICE and their sister studio.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield was already going uphill even without Apex Legends, but EA launching a quality F2P BR just a month before BF drops its paid BR that, so far, sounds underwhelming? Good luck.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apex Legends is so good that I think all premium BR games are done for. And yeah, it sucks for DICE.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest here. I really enjoy Apex, it really does it's own thing.

But I'm dying for another grounded approach next to PUBG. I hope Firestorm nails that.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They will support it until the next Battlefield comes out.

As for Apex thing, i bet they will drop it as soon as the playerbase starts to slow down, i don't trust EA on committing to it the same way Epic is doing with Fortnite, not to mention the game seems less accessible (no mobile and no Switch, you're missing a big piece of the audience for these games), it won't reach nowhere near the same success.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield V's Battle Royale mode will make as the same splash as it would have without APEX existing - not a big one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
BF BR isnt next month. Its part of the a new Tides of War starting next month. But isnt until the end of that Tides of War.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
As for Apex thing, i bet they will drop it as soon as the playerbase starts to slow down, i don't trust EA on committing to it the same way Epic is doing with Fortnite, not to mention the game seems less accessible (no mobile and no Switch, you're missing a big piece of the audience for these games), it won't reach nowhere near the same success.
Not a fair comparison, Fortnite was not available on mobile and Switch at first either.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
These EA bashing threads are becoming tedious.

Fair enough if they were based on something other than rampant speculation.

As has been mentioned, one is F2P, the other is an extra mode in an other wise feature packed game. They are not directly competing. There's not some limited pool of battle royale players in the wold that every game is competing for.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The thing is I don't see players reinstalling and coming back to BF V to try the BR, especially now that Apex is here. BF should focus on being a good Battlefield game and not adding modes that the core BF community doesn't really care about.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They will 100% support both, different crowds and BFV BR will surely be very different.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
EA already support a host of multiplayer games so I see no reason why 2 BR games will make any difference.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not a fair comparison, Fortnite was not available on mobile and Switch at first either.

What do you mean by that? This is the state of the market right now, Fortnite and PUBG biggest platform today is probably mobile, and on Switch the attach rate for Fortnite is almost Mario Kart level.

If EA's goal is to have their "Fortnite" then you need to put the game everywhere and lower the minimum spec requirements because even low-end PCs, 2 in 1,... are left out right now. I don't think a Surface Pro can run that.

Last edited:

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Well DICE isn't developing their BR mode and EA has never done a full on GaaS before, not to mention that both Battlefield 3, 4, and 1 had incredible post launch support, so not sure what you're talking about when it comes to the whole "EA isn't known for their loving support" because EA isn't the one supporting these games, it's DICE and their sister studio.

The games mentioned all had season passes. The first time EA/DICE ditched that model with Battlefront II it was an absolute shitshow. I loved that game, but the post launch support was horrible. And up till now BFV's isn't looking all that either, so I fully understand OP's worries.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean by that? This is the state of the market right now, Fortnite and PUBG biggest platform today is probably mobile, and on Switch the attach rate for Fortnite is almost Mario Kart level.

If EA's goal is to have their "Fortnite" then you need to put the game everywhere and lower the minimum spec requirements because even low-end PCs, 2 in 1,... are left out right now. I don't think a Surface can run that looking at the minimum system requirements.
Relax, the game came out 24 hours ago.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isnt Criterion and not Dice making the BF V BR mode?
Do they even have experience making a FPS game mode like this?
Hoping for the best.. but not expecting much tbh.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games not even 24 hours old and you've decided every other BR game is done for?

Not every other BR, just the premium ones.

BFV has already had a rough few months. AL dropped to fantastic reception and is F2P. How does DICE convince people to buy into BFV BR for $60 + live service cosmetic shit now? And as far as Blackout goes... yeah, I'm calling that one. AL is going to kill it's numbers quickly.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Its a really odd decision to launch them so close to eachother but Firestorm will be very different compared to Apex.

Some people dislike futuristic settings and powers. Personally i prefer a more grounded experience and really want something that is more polished than PUBG so im hoping Firestorm will turn out well but im not expecting anything groundbreaking.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Do they even have experience making a FPS game mode like this?

Do you need experience tho?

Bluehole was a MMO studio and they made PUBG
Raven never made a BR and they made Blackout
Respawn first BR is Apex Legends
Epic Games never made a BR and Fortnite was their first game.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

I'd have to agree on the "never done a full on GaaS before", unless that definition for you excludes MMORPGs (SWTOR has been running and getting updates for 7 years).

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not every other BR, just the premium ones.

BFV has already had a rough few months. AL dropped to fantastic reception and is F2P. How does DICE convince people to buy into BFV BR for $60 + live service cosmetic shit now? And as far as Blackout goes... yeah, I'm calling that one. AL is going to kill it's numbers quickly.
BFV was top3 NPD both nov and dec. How is it rough?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Apex Legends is so good that I think all premium BR games are done for. And yeah, it sucks for DICE.

Head-shaking.gif

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
They're going to support whatever makes them a profit.

Apex Legends seems like it will make a profit.

There's nothing to suggest that Battlefield BR won't as well.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Some part of me feels like Zampella pulled a fast one on EA and is getting revenge on Titanfall 2 being sent out to die by making sure Anthem and Battlefield V BR are both going to be afterthoughts compared to Apex Legends.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're different enough to coexist assuming BFV BR actually works and isn't as buggy and unfinished as the main game was.

Apex is polished AF

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying they should put their eggs in one basket even after seeing so many others fail? Or that EA can only afford to publish one game at a time?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BFV has a pay wall and the BR mode is but one small part of the game, so it's already two different audiences.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt DICE fully owned by EA, and are basically like any other EA developed games in that regards? If so, you're right that DICE is the one supporting the games that they develope, but i dont think they can do this without EA's approval, so EA would be the one supporting the games further on in that case (paying the developers and says its ok that they work on further updates for a game instead of moving them to a new project).

They will support it until the next Battlefield comes out.

Its a bit difference with what happened to Fortnite though. Fortnite launched on PS4/Xbox One/PC and kept on growing in popularity once the Battle Royale mode was added. Then Epic Games decided to build on this momentum, making the game for Switch and mobile as well. From what i know, it wasnt a case where Fortnite was dropping in popularity, and Epic Games felt they had to make a Switch and mobile version to stop the decline.

If Apex takes off like Fortnite did, who knows if EA will expand to other platforms. Thats what happened with Fortnite and PUBG. PUBG on mobile is also basically like a seperate game from what i know (no cross play with PC or consoles i think due to the differences). I dont think it can be expected that a brand new game like Apex should be ready for PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/mobile all at the same day. Its technically possible, but it also require a lot of more work and investment. If the game cant stay popular on PC/PS4/Xbox One, i'm not sure if adding a Switch and mobile version will change much.