• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 36, and didn't know what a muggle was till like last year. And Harry Potter is extremely popular.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
You guys know the Avengers aren't real right?
its-still.gif

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm 30 and deep into other "nerdy" hobbies (I mean, I post on resetera so obviously) and I've never seen an Avengers movie. I know who they are via osmosis sure but I haven't seen them and have little interest in seeing them. Saw a handful of other marvel movies that looking interesting to me (Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc) though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
37 year old male and I know that the avengers is a comic/movie series but honestly don't know who's in it (actors), what super heroes comprise it, or what it is.

Just not really into it and haven't seen any super hero movies since one of the first dark knight or iron man movies. I'm sure they're good I've just never been into them. I also don't know the difference between Marvel and the other comic publishers, I know marvel is on Disney because I see the ads on D+ but I don't really know what heroes make up Marvel vs DC vs whatever the others are.

My connection to comic heroes is similar to someone else's connection to sports. They might know who Michael Jordan or Tom Brady are, or know that they exist, like how I know Batman, Spidey, and Captain America exist in the comic universe, but couldn't tell you anything about them from the last 25 years. Whenever there's a thread about comic stuff here my eyes just naturally glance by it and it all forms into a comic zone soup, and I figure sports stuff is similar for other people. I've heard of many of the comic movies Endgame and shit from threads here or gross earnings Hollywood threads, but I couldn't tell you in Endgame is part of the Marvel world, which heroes are in it, who the bad guy is, who the actors are, or anything else, probably about the same as someone knowing that the Superbowl exists but if they were tasked with saying who played in the Superbowl in 2019 they'd be stumped.

If I didn't go to this forum I'd know almost nothing.

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I know some people who admit and are serious about that they "dont really listen to music" and have a hard time naming an artist of band from this decade (or even this century).

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The year Infinity War came out (2018?) I dressed up as Thanos for Halloween. It wasn't necessarily a good Thanos but I had all the important details (spray painted my face purple, drew a scrotum on my chin, the gold armor, etc). At the Halloween lunch I was chatting with another coworker who said she was a huuuge Marvel fan, and even named her new dog Marvel.

I was like, "Oh, cool, what do you think of my costume?"

"What are you?"

"I'm Thanos!"

"Who's that?"

Was a reminder that most people won't understand my favorite nerd shit, even if my nerd shit has gone mainstream.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Pretty sure its a common thing.

My elder family members don't know much about comic book material either but they oddly know who Stan Lee is.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Some people don't even know the difference between star wars and star trek. Goddamn those mother fuckers to hell.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
like 100 million people watch the super bowl every year yet you have people on this very site who are like "I don't know anything about football/sports" how hard is it to apply this the other way and have some perspective?

The vast majority of people who say they don't know anything about football/sports will still know what the Super Bowl is, even if they've never watched it.

Same goes for the Avengers. Will they know all the details, of course not. But I'm willing to bet most people know it's a superhero team from the movies. They will know that much.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Avenger is a song in DDR, duh.

Avenger

Honestly, though, even as someone who no longer cares about the MCU (haven't seen any of those movies since the one with Raymond Reddington as Ultron, lol), I always kind of assumed that most people--at the least--are aware that there's a Marvel thing called "the Avengers" and that those movies exist. If you don't pay any attention to TV, movies, or comics, you could miss all of it, I guess?

sven

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of people in this thread who don't seem to know the difference between knowing what something is and not caring about that thing.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
this tbh

i like the marvel movies but fuck do i hate majority of the fanbase. just prefer to not even talk about it at this point.

True. Its like the fanbase goes about it like someone kicking a door open of a fancy restaurant and telling people eating steak why the McRib is just as high quality and how tons of people love it.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
We had a "name this famous person (fictional or real)" game in our office, back around 2008, and someone got Captain Kirk and had no idea who it was. These things happen. Some people just don't pay any attention to pop culture.

Oct 25, 2017
super hero haters are worse than the fanbase by a country mile. oh, youre so enlightened.
How old are you?

On one extreme you have the sore winners upset that the most popular thing in the world isn't loved by 100% of the population and refuse to admit the thing they like isn't negatively effecting aspects of the industry because they benefit from it.

On the other extreme you have the pretentious snobs who believe there's no overlap between true art and commerce.

Y'all both suck, but the former is more annoying, because you literally have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Early signs you might be online too much for your own good.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Not everyone in the real world is addicted to capeshit like the majority of this forum, OP.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel movies are forgettable popcorn flicks. They all blend in together. Theres always a new one coming out so who is going to remember avengers when the last one came out years ago?

Avengers is old news until the next one comes up. Theres nothing relevant unless youre a big fan

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I know what an Avenger is but can't name all of them or anything. I watch a ton of movies, some TV shows, sports, I just don't really care about cape stuff, doesn't appeal to me at all. I watched the original X-Men movie and Logan, that's about it

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
They're silly nerd movies about flying people with superpowers. Not everyone's going to be interested in that and some people are just disconnected from certain areas of pop culture.

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
I never read comics growing up, now in my late 50s.

So I know there's the Fantastic 4, Superfriends and the Justice League. But I'm not sure if the Avengers are a select group of Marvel heroes, or are the name given to all of them.

Oh, but I do know Batman is a DC comic, not Marvel.. so I'm somewhat clues in. Kinda

Robotnik

Nov 3, 2017
I just want everyone here to know I've had a bad day. Thusly, I will misinterpret the premise of this thread and use that as a launching board to air my grievances against a certain group of people I find irritating.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, several of the biggest movies of all time involve them, so I'd think most people would know they are superheroes at least.
Like, I don't follow sports even a little bit, but still recognize some huge names and understand the gist of how they're played.