• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has the Switch changed your gaming habits?

• Yes. I prefer portability over eye-candy

Votes: 116 26.5%
  • No. My Switch is only for exclusives and indie games

Votes: 227 51.8%
  • It's a struggle. Sometimes I pick the Switch version and sometimes the Xbox/PS versions

Votes: 95 21.7%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My post got buried in the previous page, so I'll bring it over here for your convenience.
Not really, I mainly use my Switch for exclusives & games like Mega Man 11 & Sonic Mania. Fighting games in particular are hellish on the Switch due to no Ethernet without an adapter (a problem further compounded with good rollback netcode not being commonplace yet), the lack of a decent first-party D-Pad without getting a Switch Lite, & the performance of certain games (DBFZ has quite a bit of showdown on Switch) for me to consider getting fighting games on it. That plus the online communities on Switch versions of fighting games are ghost towns more often than not, which is only made worse since cross-play isn't commonplace yet.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if KoFXV & maybe GG Strive are the last new (as in not collections or ports of old games) fighting games that the Switch gets from the major developers, especially as we approach next-gen.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1hr train commute and I'm so used to going back and forth between docked and undocked that I play my Switch almost exclusively these days. It's my favourite form-factor ever.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To be honest, mainly use my Switch docked, with the occasional undocked session. If anything, my little brother uses my Switch undocked more than me.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not playing as much handheld gaming (in general) these days bc of life, so Switch use is down for me. My decision making process is to buy where my friends are if the game is MP, buy PS4/XB1 if graphics or sound are important, buy PS4/XB1 if the controls would suffer on Switch, and then finally buy where it's cheapest.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I have an Xbox One, an Xbox One S, an Xbox One X, and a Switch. I rarely use the Switch - I bought it just for Bayonetta, Grandia and a few other games that I cannot play on Xbox.

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring; Prior Warning for the Same
Unless you're a graphics whore or a blind console fanboy; quite frankly, why would you choose any PS4/Xbone version over its Switch counterpart?

Sure, if there's a significant performance/framerate differential; or there is some sort of problem with the Switch version, I could understand. But given that all things are equal barring some very minor graphics downgrades? Why wouldn't you just get every game on Switch?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I prefer (J)RPGs and more stylized/cartoony/anime-aesthetic games as well as many mid-budget/AA games to everything else, which lend themselves well to the Switch and are one of Nintendo's biggest strengths right now. Thus I'm buying those games only on there as they should perform well and I'll get to enjoy the Switch's convenience factor.

(Typical) AAA games on the other hand - depends; I don't play too many of those, but when I do, I tend to buy them on the PS4. If I'm going to bother with a high-budget (=high technical standard, mostly) game, I'd like to get the full fat experience. The Switch is great and I love it dearly, while the PS4 is just ... okay, but no one can deny that there are many compromises to downports to the Switch.

Maybe an example helps showcasing what I mean.
The Trials of Mana Remake next month is a game I'd only buy on the Switch. From its aesthetic to the game design, it screams Switch game to me, even if I have to take the 30fps hit vs 60 on PS4.

Witcher 3 on the other hand is a game for the PS4 to me. I tried the Switch port, but could not swallow the compromises after experiencing the home console version before. Besides, it felt more fitting on the PS and TV for me.

Tldr: Play nearly everything on Switch, but 90% of AAA games I wanna play and PS exclusives (obviously) on PS4.

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Switch only for exclusives, Indies and remasters like FF.

I have a big screen so I want to use it well, my only option: PS4/XBOX or PC. Switch is too weak to make my C8 shine.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I always choose the TV experience and never play on the go. My dad bought me a vita which I actually said to him previously not to do lol.

Anyway if a vita game had a ps3 equivalent I always played the ps3 version. I'm a big screen experience kinda guy!

Jun 2, 2019
I get as many third party games on Switch as i can, sometimes even double dipping (last one The Witcher 3 thanks to the last patch, and I'm making great use of its cross save function). And i have a Ryzen 3060+RTX 2060+16GB 3200 PC so i can play basically everything cranked to high or even ultra at 60 fps

Having a Switch and not buying 3rd party games for it is not making full use of it, wich is a shame.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
No. In fact after Hollow night and Zelda i barely touch it. I've tried to buy a few games i could enjoy like Ori or golf story but i dont realty enjoy them very much and I prefer to use and play ps4 games instead.
I guess is the games that make me play a system or another, and since i enjoy more playing on tv, no reason to stick to the inferior system and versions of games are available on both

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing a few Games on the go but outside of some Indies and Exclusives i really don't like a watered down version with worse controller ergonomics.

Now i mainly use my Switch for Exclusives and nearly 100% in docked mode.

I'm happy for the people that want to game on the go but it's simply not for me in most cases. The Witcher 3 Switch port is an achievement but i already don't like the watered down PS4/One-Version of the game in comparision with my PC playthrough.

That's a weird example, Hollow Knight plays great on the Switch and it looks perfect too.

Sadly that wasn't my experience. The port is good but playing with the Joy-Cons isn't that great. I bought the PS4 Version and thanks to the fantastic D-Pad i was starting to play better almost instantly. This would also be possible witht he Pro Controller on the Switch but then it's not really as convenient imo.

The Joy-Cons and the Battery-Life are my biggest problems with the Switch as a portable system.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I've bought the Switch versions a few times but mostly as a double dip. Sometimes I regret it. Sam Sho looks horrific in portable mode.

Unless you're a graphics whore or a blind console fanboy; quite frankly, why would you choose any PS4/Xbone version over its Switch counterpart?

Sure, if there's a significant performance/framerate differential; or there is some sort of problem with the Switch version, I could understand. But given that all things are equal barring some very minor graphics downgrades? Why wouldn't you just get every game on Switch?

Well for any fighters many switch titles have a much smaller online community with no chat or social features and stuff like Mortal Kombat that looks terrible, and gets updates weeks after the other versions. The Switch controllers are terrible for thembtoo, even the pro controller has a dodgy dpad and handheld you need to buy a third party joycon that still sucks.

Also wifi? And I guess trophies and nice clean gaming screenshots and photo mode I love those.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for the physical version of The Outer Worlds for Switch despite it being on Gamepass and me still haven't used the free month code from my X1X.
So, yes, insome casss I choose the inferior version just to have it portable. But I don't double dip.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I have a switch too and i ain't buying a fighting game on the switch due to the (default) bad dpad and the horrendous online.

I tend to only do 1st party Nintendo games and indie platformers (hollow knight) and games not available on the ps4 (cuphead, ori) on the switch.

The rest i will buy it on my ps4.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"How about you? Has the Switch changed your gaming habits? "

Have you been on this forum long lol? Fanbase is about 2 years away from going door to door Mormon style to let everyone know whatever they're doing would be perfect for Switch.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Control & online.

Also, calling people not buying the switch version as graphic whore/console fanboy is uncalled for.

Are you like 'switch evangelist' or something....

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
Bought the PS4 version of DBFZ Day one, played about 5 hours of it in 5 months, resold it, bought it for Switch and at 80h on it.
I consider buying PC version to fight with other people, but Switch still gonna be a perfect training station, so most of my time are gonna be on it.
And more generally, I avoid buying every game on other platforms, hoping it comes on Switch one Day

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Regarding controls, Switch os basically as good as any other console in that regard

Not in terms of default dpad that's needed for most fighting games that's not smash or pokken....unless u telling me to play street fighter using analog which i will just nope out.

Not everyone is willing to forge out a hori fightstick and the default joycon and pro controller dpad just ain't it, son.

Jun 2, 2019
Not in terms of default dpad that's needed for most fighting games that's not smash or pokken....unless u telling me to play street fighter using analog which i will just nope out.

Not everyone is willing to forge out a hori fightstick and the default joycon and pro controller dpad just ain't it, son.

Well, i bought a Hori D-Pad Joycon after buying my first fighting game so i can't really argue with you here haha

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
In my case:

Switch: Exclusives (and that's barely working for me ATM...)
XBX: Game Pass + 360 BC
PS4 Pro: Everything else

Exactly the same as you!

• PS4 Pro — a little bit of everything (currently playing Dreams and the FFVII Remake demo)
  • Switch Lite — indies and exclusives (I haven't bought anything since Luigi's Mansion 3 though...)
  • Xbox One — redeem a one month Game Pass through Bing rewards to play a console exclusive game; I haven't paid a penny to play a game on my Xbox One since 2018!

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Exclusives only. Maybe double dipping on indies.

Last time I played a multiplat game on Switch was CTR and that shit looked fucking horrid.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Depends.
Lately I have more time to play not on the TV, so the Switch its a bless.
Some kind of games I always preferred on portable, previously I used the VITA, but now that its done, I get them on the Switch.
But for some kind of games I just cant avoid to prefer the most graphically better version, so its PS4 and just find the time to play them.

In the end the Switch mostly substitute the PSVITA for me, so nothing new on my choices. If there was a VITA 2 I would probably get that to be more in my personal echosystem.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Irony is strong with this one

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Switch version last year, fighting games didn't catch me like they did before and I thought the portability would help to play in short bursts.

I trade it shortly after tho, didn't grab me and it felt like a had bought a f2p game with so much dlc content so glaringly displayed.

Still waiting for that fabled complete edition to give it a second chance.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I actually love the options I have right now. PC is for FFXIV. Switch is for everything. GamePass is for everything else.

Alright, that's a little simplistic. I also buy horror games on XB1 and it's a great console for legacy content too.

PS4 is for Spider-Man, Atlus, and Fumiko Ueda.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I wouldn't say the Switch has changed my gaming habits, but it does perfectly fit my life right now. We have two kids under 3 and so it's not really practical for me to just bail on everyone and go down and play PC or console games in the basement, but I play lots of Switch in bed before going to sleep.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to play indies and visual novels on Switch but I use it for almost nothing else.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
That's a very interesting thread actually, as in my case (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this), I mostly tend to favor the Switch version of games but for reasons other than portability - I play docked 99.9% of the time (and now I have a Switch Lite as well, but for specific games like Pokémon and I don't use it very often).

I play on a 4K HDR compatible TV and also have a PS4 Pro (not really into PC gaming, and no Xbox (yet?)).

I'm not saying those are perfectly valid reasons, that's just me, but here are some of them:

- The absolute comfort of the Pro Controller (it feels so great and its battery life is wonderful)
- For a lot of "small" games it just feels fine, quick and responsive unlike turning the whole PS4 Pro on for shorter sessions
- Physical games require no installation, updates are quite fast
- I don't often need to delete digital games, and I can actually Archive them instead to keep the icon there (a real bummer it can't be done on PS4)
- Many official controller options for simple/retro games (NES controller, SNES controller, detached Joy Cons even though I don't do that often lol)
- Switch has a very useful headphone jack that doesn't ruin the sound quality (unlike the one on Dual Shock 4)
- Performance/visuals are great in a lot of games, including Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Online services are only 20€ a year and that's way more appropriate for my online gaming habits
- I don't play handheld that much but the fact that I can do it (and I know I will for quite many games) isn't negligible; PS4 feels too "restricted" in that regard

It's true that I've always been a Nintendo fan and I love the idea of having a nice collection of games (including digital ones), but considering many of the reasons listed above I like to consider the Switch as an "ultimate" console experience, as it has some flaws and still lacks basic features (themes and folders, mostly) but for what it does, it does it very well and its simplicity is a huge strength.

Now there are still some exceptions (and PS4 exclusives, of course), but they are really rare in my case.
I'm currently playing Dark Souls Remastered on Switch, and recently I almost regretted not playing it on PS4 instead but I just thought about it for some time, and realized that doing so I wouldn't have had any online interaction (some messages really helped me and invasions were fun, it's my first playthrough of the first game).

Regarding the upcoming remake of Trials of Mana, I first preordered it on Switch but decided to buy a second one on PS4.
I'll probably keep the Switch one for my collection (I'm a big fan of the Mana series) and play it some day (I'd love to have the icon show up on my Switch at least :p), but play it first on PS4 and have some benefits regarding the visuals, performance and such.

I'll also look and feel natural to have it there, along with the Secret of Mana remake (even though it's not really great, but you see what I mean).
It's actually a special case now that I think about it, but it looks so good (especially the latest trailer) that I don't mind to double dip on it.
I can't wait to make a "Remakes of Mana" folder on my PS4 lol

Another exception was Bloodstained RotN. I was a backer of the game (the ~$60 tier) and naturally chose the Wii U (eventually Switch) version, but because the port looked so bad at first, and it took pretty long to receive my copy, I preordered the digital version on PS4 at full price to play it on release date and had a blast.

So that's where I am now, I love playing my PS4 Pro and how good some games look especially in HDR (I also had a blast through the FF VII Remake demo), but Switch has become my main console and I seriously have no reason to buy another year of PS Plus - my backlog is already pretty big, even on PS4, so I don't really need those "free" games and I mostly play offline games.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm with you man. There's something deliciously zen about booting up Netflix on the TV while playing on the switch. Trading in my PS4 copy of Outer Worlds as soon as it launches on Switch.

Doom Eternal is the exception in this case, but that's made easier by the fact that I can't get it anywhere else.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I've converted to play every single RPG game on the Switch - that I can ofc. It's super conveniant to play long and grindy games however I want and continue to play wherever I want.

Exclusives on respective console ofc and then gamepass for Xbox to play whatever is up for offer that I would enjoy.

reality set in when I bought hollow knight on switch then bought it on the pro and played it on 4K with a sound system.

There's plenty of games you could pick to make your point.. and you pick HK? ;P
Hollow Knight looks and plays fantastic on the Switch.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hah, I'm becoming the same. There's something great about watching Netflix or a Twitch stream while playing a game on the Switch. More graphically intense games I'll buy on the Pro or Xbox One X, but most multiplats are Switch now.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Have a PC, PS4 pro, Switch. I'd get it for the Switch out of all of em only cause of portability. My Switch and PC go to battle when it comes to multiplatform games. The not so demanding games will most likely go to the the switch. My ps4 pro is for exclusives, thats it.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I voted "No. My Switch is only for exclusives and indie games," even though I don't own a Switch. But that's what my Switch will be. I will buy one to play the new Zelda game and Metroid. And that's it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's exclusive only machine due to how weak it is as a console. A waste of my limited hdmi slot on c9

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I barely touch the thing unless I can't access my computer(s) or XB1. It's a decent enough system, but it hasn't changed my buying or playing habits whatsoever.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Unless the graphics are significantly worse then I'll usually pick the Switch version 9 times out of 10 these days purely because I don't need access to my TV to play games on it, I can play something on it whilst the Missus is watching TV. If I didn't have my Switch this year I don't think I would've finished any games at all.