• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hereby copyright/patent/and otherwise reserve the concept of Tetris with Hats aka Hatris

Currently looking to sell the rights. Bids start in the low seven figures.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but the description of the idea reminded me of this...

giphy.gif

But you gotta give it to the guy... If nothing else, he's got confidence in his idea.

I doubt that the approach would ever work. However, you could channel that energy and passion into something that can be actually done.

Came to post this. Love the caption lolllll

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna know what the IP is. Spill the beans.

Anyway, this just makes me think about all the shit I'd do if I had Jeff Bezos money. I'd fund so many ridiculous game ideas that myself and others have had over the years and throw money at companies like Sega to remake all of their old classics. It's nice to dream.

Feb 16, 2018
if you legitimately have an idea for new gameplay, go build it. once you have a prototype, you can proceed further

if it's just new levels / characters for some gameplay clone of all the genres you listed, your scope is too large to bother with it until you can raise millions in funding

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
"I have a elaborate yet somehow also non-specific fantasy about making a game that combines all genres, has amazing single- and multi-player gameplay, an enormous world, and deep branching narrative. Who do I need to @ on twitter to get the ball rolling."
Don't forget based on an existing IP that you really like but don't own!

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You need to think outside the box, Steve Jobs couldn't code yet founded Apple and launched so many products. Or think about the founder of Oculus Rift, snooping around forums, asking for things and then launched a Kickstarter, All OP needs to be is to be a good sales man.
I don't think this is correct at all. Game dev is not the same as being an entrepreneur.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Simply put, you either invest your own money and hire talent to get something to show... or you do it yourself.
No company is going to invest their money in your idea. Why would they?

Ideas are plentiful and there's tons of people with experience in the field formulating their own designs.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
You're not going to be involved in making the game. Approach a developer who you believe can pull it off and just sell your idea. If it's an enticing, well-formed enough, realistic and feasible - they might consider acquiring it.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings.
No offence, but I legit thought this was a parody thread when I reached this part.

But since you are serious, lemme tell you about ideas. Ideas are easy. They come to everyone. They also require zero effort. The most brutal, sobering and time-taking part of any creative process is taking an idea and turning it into a reality. There are millions of people in the world who have great ideas for movies, games, and books. There are millions more who THINK they have great ideas for these. Most of these people never create anything because it's easier to dream than to work for years in pursuit of that idea. Many have started but will never finish their projects.

And there are many who wish someone else to turn their ideas into reality. So they approach famous writers or directors with their ideas. Or, in your case, a AAA studio. But they have their own ideas, and they'll prefer to work on those rather than YOUR vague ideas. The only person who truly cares about your idea is you.

So you have two options. One, abandon the idea (or mention it on the forum for some cool discussion) and move on with your life.

And two, start working. You want to create a huge AAA game? Start skilling and educating yourself about making games. Start applying for jobs in the games industry. Work your way up to a point where you are in charge of such decisions at a AAA developer (that position is usually the creative director of the game). And THEN you can pitch that idea to a publisher.

But I know what you are thinking. That will take you your entire life, and there's no guarantee that you'll ever reach that position, or ever get the project greenlit by a publisher.

Yes. There's no guarantee of anything. Welcome to being a creative.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Just laying out the truth about creation. No one creates great things in their spare time as side projects. Great art requires years and years of passion and work and dedication.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
OP you definitely needed a reality check, but don't get discouraged! It sounds like you're still young, so stay inspired, get curious, and put that energy into learning about game development.

As for your idea, write it all down. Because who knows?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
OP I wish you the best but just tell us the IP already.

Dunno why but I'm betting its Dune. Yes, I know there are Dune games.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
It's a democracy, at least how that's I experienced in my time in games. You have to prove your idea is worth building over however many other people are at the studio. There are a ton of games made and cancelled that people don't know about, and it's not because they're bad ideas, but for any number of reasons: hard to market, hard to convince a publisher that 200 people at a game studio are right, no funding, the producer's kid didn't like it. Focus testing didn't come back positively. The game industry is pretty crushing. A lot of people I knew put the same effort in to achievement design than they did for a whole new game idea, because the achievement/metagame was easier to implement and there was 50+ of them with funny names.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
no way big publishers will listen to you, in this industry everybody start small, if you think the mechanics are awesome, you can start to build game with the most fun mechanic first and focus to one genre that you feel superior

you need a working prototype, to do this you need to learn how to build a game using game engine (eg Unity) or you can hire people to build this prototype so you can pitch the game to small publisher

if you don't want to invest on technical skills or money, your idea won't go anywhere

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
When i was around 14, i had this killer idea of a game whereby you play an assassin and go through missions and your objective is to assassin the target and you are free to approach on how to do it in a level. I even drafted out some drawings and docs and name the game 'Total Assassination'.

A little over a year later, Hitman: Agent 47, came out on PC and a few years later, the sequel Hitman 2: Silent Assassins, was basically the exact same game in my head...lmao

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I had a budget, I'd just make a RPG of a bunch of high quality side quests. No chosen one bullshit or world ending demon king or stupid shit like that.

You're just one of many mercs.

Teriyaki

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the big question for me is does it have a battle pass and in-game concerts? /s

If you're serious about this, I would start by learning to mod games.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
So, during quarantine, I've been thinking of an idea for my own AAA game based on a specific existing IP. It's just floating in my head and getting more and more detailed day by day. I've come up with the basic structure for the story and some gameplay mechanics.

The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings. The starting point will be the same, but the players' choices will completely change the course and the ways of play and storyline, as well as the different kinds of places and the ending can be reached. In other words, in one big frame of the world and storyline, players can create a lot of possibilities by choices, and those choices will affect the whole game, gradually narrow down the experiences and ending. There will also be bad endings and a true ending. The scale of the game I'm thinking of is so massive and complex that I wondered if even the next-generation technologies could realize my idea, but that UE5 demo gave me confidence.

Regarding the IP I want to use for this game: since it already has the original owner, the process for obtaining the license could be complicated. But if you can bring it to console gaming, I'm sure it will be as popular as Halo or Spider-Man and bring surprises and delight to many hardcore gamers. This IP already has proven its popularity around the world, even many of you may have already known or heard about it, at least vaguely. I'm really surprised by the fact that this IP has never been made into a console game before. I genuinely believe that it has the potential to become the next generation Star Wars or Lord of the Rings if handled properly.

Now, this idea began to haunt me, making me impatient about how this could become a reality. I already sent emails or contacted via Twitter or even visited the HQ of the company branch but everything was a useless effort. Of course, simply joining a game studio, delivering my idea, and getting approval from the executives would be the most reasonable way, but the problem is that I don't have any proper degree or career to get a job at the high-level video game maker.

I know it would be a delusion that those big companies would only listen to one amateur and create a multi-million dollar game. And even if my idea is accepted, it would also difficult to actually start developing it because all of the studios will be very busy carrying out the current work and planning the next work. However, whether it takes three or five years, or is rejected at all, I would like to give it a try, because I'm that confident in my idea. So, please, help me to contact with someone who can evaluate my ideas and make decisions. Thanks for reading!

make this a book instead

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm sorry, but the description of the idea reminded me of this...

giphy.gif

But you gotta give it to the guy... If nothing else, he's got confidence in his idea.

I doubt that the approach would ever work. However, you could channel that energy and passion into something that can be actually done.
Incredible, it's exactly that

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
No offence, but I legit thought this was a parody thread when I reached this part.

But since you are serious, lemme tell you about ideas. Ideas are easy. They come to everyone. They also require zero effort. The most brutal, sobering and time-taking part of any creative process is taking an idea and turning it into a reality. There are millions of people in the world who have great ideas for movies, games, and books. There are millions more who THINK they have great ideas for these. Most of these people never create anything because it's easier to dream than to work for years in pursuit of that idea. Many have started but will never finish their projects.

And there are many who wish someone else to turn their ideas into reality. So they approach famous writers or directors with their ideas. Or, in your case, a AAA studio. But they have their own ideas, and they'll prefer to work on those rather than YOUR vague ideas. The only person who truly cares about your idea is you.

So you have two options. One, abandon the idea (or mention it on the forum for some cool discussion) and move on with your life.

And two, start working. You want to create a huge AAA game? Start skilling and educating yourself about making games. Start applying for jobs in the games industry. Work your way up to a point where you are in charge of such decisions at a AAA developer (that position is usually the creative director of the game). And THEN you can pitch that idea to a publisher.

But I know what you are thinking. That will take you your entire life, and there's no guarantee that you'll ever reach that position, or ever get the project greenlit by a publisher.

Yes. There's no guarantee of anything. Welcome to being a creative.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Just laying out the truth about creation. No one creates great things in their spare time as side projects. Great art requires years and years of passion and work and dedication.

Best post I've read in this thread.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Selling ideas... 😆
If the core idea is enticing and doable and you've written several pages detailing mechanics, gameplay and design elements where the reader can readily visualize it; And you approach an independent developer that is open to community efforts (say Epic/Valve) then maybe? All it takes is one contact at that developer to like what he's read to try and get the ball rolling.
Obviously you need something that makes him go 'i would like to see this made' that isn't far-fetched.

As for what the OP loosely described - yeah, that's a no-go.

Oct 27, 2017
People with skills like drawing, modelling , programming, music composition etc ALWAYS know someone who has "ideas", and they always insist in how much money they could do if someone executed their "ideas", basically doing all the work while they watch.

I don't like people with "ideas".

OP, learn some skills if you haven't already (maybe you've already mastered something im not aware of) and try to work your way in with those skills. Otherwise, there's zero chance they'll listen to what you have to say.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game ideas are a dime a dozen. Truly. I'm not doubting that you are creative OP, but there are a lot of creative people and any of them can come up with ten cool ideas per day. Ideas are cheap.

Execution is another matter. It's hard, and it's specific, and it's the result of thousands of small decisions.

I suggest you get into indie dev. There's never been a better time!

Oct 26, 2017
1. They won't even listen to you, they won't even open the email. If there's any evidence you sent them this idea and they read it then they open themselves up for a lawsuit in the event they come out with something similar.

2. We all have ideas for games, every single one of us. Chances are dozens if not hundreds of them are pretty much exactly what you're thinking. If you've thought of it, then you can guarantee somebody in the industry has.

3. That's not even remotely how game development works.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out:

I want to make the first Quadruple A game. It's a 4th person shooter where you are the guy behind the guy with the gun. Voiced by Troy Baker and Nolan North at once.