• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
If you are game dev interested, there has never been a better time to be alive. Unreal and Unity are both free game dev tools, and you can and should get one and do some tutorials and make something to find out if you even like making games. Start **simple**. Make something really small and easy, and you'll soon discover how much work even that is. At least when you finish you'll know if a game dev life is for you or not.

This is constructive advice. You would not believe how much work goes into all the little details. The things you don't think about until you have to do them and then it hits you.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you really think that you might have an unique and fun game concept, get a small team together and work on a vertical slice. Or try to do it all by yourself.
Unity and Unreal are free too use and there are tons of amazing tutorials for it.
If it doesn't have to be 3D you could also try one of the 2D engines like GameMaker which is quite wasy to use. But gotta warn you,whatever you do, developing a game is hard work and can often be quite frustrating. On the other hand it is a great feeling when things come together.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
They legally can't.

If they even acknowledge receipt of your idea that opens them up to lawsuits down the line should any future project have even a passing similarity with any aspect of what you sent them.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS

I'll be nice, and give you a genuine reply:

That doesn't sound very good.

There's this misconception gamers have that more is always better, but a combination of action, RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS just does not sound fun.

Everyone
seems to have the idea, when they're young, of what I call "the Everything Game." It sounds awesome. But it's just not an idea that lends itself well to a good gameplay loop. It's too broad and it's virtually impossible to execute all those components equally well — and even if you do, not everyone is going to like all those genres.

Do you want to know what kind of ideas I actually value, the kind I wish I thought up myself? Stuff like Untitled Goose Game. It's easy to see the appeal and the reason why Panic (the publisher) actually reached out to the House House (the developer) to offer to publish it, which is something that almost never happens. Those are the kinds of ideas you should try to have, creatively. Baba is You is another one. You hear that pitch — a puzzle game where the rules of the game world are manifested physically in the environment and are able to be interacted with to solve puzzles — and it's just like, whoa. Those are the kinds of ideas both players and publishers actually want, not weird unfocused Everything Games. And, not coincidentally, they're actually ideas you can build a demo of as a solo dev or small team.

I'm not saying that to discourage you. If you have a passion to make games, go for it. If you just have a passion for this specific idea, well...lots of people have passion for this specific idea, when they aren't very familiar with what makes games actually fun to play.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Everyone has a novel inside them. Only a tiny minority do the hard part of writing it.

Get into indie dev =) Lots of fantastic engines out there. Your game doesn't AAA visuals to be great. Just look at Undertale.

Jan 4, 2018
To give a somewhat sincere answer, you have two options. Get hired by a studio/publisher and work your way into a position in which you can pitch game ideas, or make it yourself.

To expand further on the latter, the chances of you actually making a commercial project like that are slim. However, that doesn't mean it has to be for nothing. Learning something like UE or Unity (both of which are free and friendly to non-programmers) and slowly building things out over time, regardless of whether or not they meet the ideas in your head, can still be an extremely worthwhile experience that satisfies your creativity.

It's what I do. I make small prototypes and games in UE4 and share them either on YouTube, as part of game jams, or just randomly on Itchio. I know I'll probably never make something that lives up to my dreams, but it's a truly fun and rewarding outlet for someone that has loved games their entire life and will probably never get the chance to actually work in the industry.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if this is a shitpost it's a really bad one - some people ARE way more delusional about game dev than this, so it's very reasonable to assume he's not shitposting?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i legitimately cant tell if op is serious or not
the idea doesnt even sound good on paper so im assuming its a troll post

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

People like this are real all the time. There's a reason why hearing anyone describe themselves as "more of an ideas guy" causes a visceral reaction in almost any creative industry.

The people who do the work of developing skills also have their own ideas! And they're more likely to understand what works and what doesn't.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As with anything ideas are the easy part. Now one cares about just an idea without at least a fair amount of the legwork already also taken care of by the person with the idea.

It's like ok I have this great idea for a movie. Ok, write a screenplay. Then write like 100 more. And then get an agent or do months or even years of legwork actually getting someone who matters to even think about biting on even one of those screenplays, much less actually biting on it.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Yeah as mentioned it's actually against policy to even review these types of things within game companies. If I ever got a written pitch it would never get opened and forwarded to legal. In cases where people would email me things I would have to sent it to legal and there would be a formal process and notice to the person who sent it.

You (may not) be surprised how many game or gaming ideas get sent to companies. I personally received hundreds throughout the years.

It was so serious that I would even have to say no to young kids and teachers who just wanted to assign writing assignments about gaming. I couldn't look at any external ideas for games, hardware, or anything.

I appreciate how passionate and excited you are about this idea so sorry to be a dream killer. Your best bet is to actually start building games (easier today than it's ever been!) and/or work your way inside a development studio.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
VGNMyo5FBdmP5oU6BM24Gn0Qwxk=.gif

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Should be timestamped for the relevant part but the gist of it is "idea guy" isn't a job in the industry and ideas aren't actually very valuable. If you want someone to take your game concept seriously you need to have a marketable skill that can help realize your idea, as well as the means to actually make that concept a reality. If you want to know some skills that can get you into the games industry the video goes over that a bit, but it's unlikely that you'd have full creative control over something that wasn't a passion project you can do yourself.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Either learn how to make games yourself and make of this idea what you can or learn to live with it being an unrealized fantasy, with an existence on just pen and paper, or give up on it.

Pen and paper game ideas can be fun.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I too am just an idea guy, so I understand the frustration you're probably feeling. Your idea will never get the attention of any big company you just have to do it yourself.

- Hire others to make it: This requires a lot of money. I would not recommend trying to take out a loan, but if you're lucky you might find some up and coming people willing to work for little to nothing. I've learned they are not the best because you pay for what you get.

- Make it yourself: Tons of free dev stuff out there. Scale down your idea, make it OC, and go from there.

- Use your skills and don't make it a video game: If you're like me, and can't grasp some of the programs and aspects of making a game, then maybe it's not a game. Maybe it's a book or screenplay. I've had a friend get a movie script optioned before, and I myself have self published a book recently. Use your skills rather than relying on others.

Best of luck, OP.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
If you are game dev interested, there has never been a better time to be alive. Unreal and Unity are both free game dev tools, and you can and should get one and do some tutorials and make something to find out if you even like making games. Start **simple**. Make something really small and easy, and you'll soon discover how much work even that is. At least when you finish you'll know if a game dev life is for you or not.

Great advice. I wanted to improve my programming skills a few years back and tried to make something that resembled Space Invaders without looking up too much online. I got stuck and never finished it. I cant even imagine the complexity of modern games; it really is rocket science.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Ideas don't mean anything. Do you have some sort of prototype?

If you have time in quarantine you might as well get unity or something and try to learn it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
OP, I just stole your idea. I'm on my way to Sony and Microsoft to start a bidding war. sucker!

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are many mean comments in this thread without reading them, but one thing to point out is that big companies actually will not solicit these kinds of ideas because of fear of legal tie ups that could arise. As in, they outright have no avenue available for people to submit ideas, for liability issues. It's not possible to submit an idea to a game company, unless you're making a pitch in which case you're offering your services to actually develop the game. Said pitch usually comes with some sort of demonstration already built.