• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
So, during quarantine, I've been thinking of an idea for my own AAA game based on a specific existing IP. It's just floating in my head and getting more and more detailed day by day. I've come up with the basic structure for the story and some gameplay mechanics.

The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings. The starting point will be the same, but the players' choices will completely change the course and the ways of play and storyline, as well as the different kinds of places and the ending can be reached. In other words, in one big frame of the world and storyline, players can create a lot of possibilities by choices, and those choices will affect the whole game, gradually narrow down the experiences and ending. There will also be bad endings and a true ending. The scale of the game I'm thinking of is so massive and complex that I wondered if even the next-generation technologies could realize my idea, but that UE5 demo gave me confidence.

Regarding the IP I want to use for this game: since it already has the original owner, the process for obtaining the license could be complicated. But if you can bring it to console gaming, I'm sure it will be as popular as Halo or Spider-Man and bring surprises and delight to many hardcore gamers. This IP already has proven its popularity around the world, even many of you may have already known or heard about it, at least vaguely. I'm really surprised by the fact that this IP has never been made into a console game before. I genuinely believe that it has the potential to become the next generation Star Wars or Lord of the Rings if handled properly.

Now, this idea began to haunt me, making me impatient about how this could become a reality. I already sent emails or contacted via Twitter or even visited the HQ of the company branch but everything was a useless effort. Of course, simply joining a game studio, delivering my idea, and getting approval from the executives would be the most reasonable way, but the problem is that I don't have any proper degree or career to get a job at the high-level video game maker.

I know it would be a delusion that those big companies would only listen to one amateur and create a multi-million dollar game. And even if my idea is accepted, it would also difficult to actually start developing it because all of the studios will be very busy carrying out the current work and planning the next work. However, whether it takes three or five years, or is rejected at all, I would like to give it a try, because I'm that confident in my idea. So, please, help me to contact with someone who can evaluate my ideas and make decisions. Thanks for reading!

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
"I have a elaborate yet somehow also non-specific fantasy about making a game that combines all genres, has amazing single- and multi-player gameplay, an enormous world, and deep branching narrative. Who do I need to @ on twitter to get the ball rolling."

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
You don't. You get hired on from the company. There are a million idea people out there. The people who write stories for games are extremely accomplished and have a whole team that get down to the nitty gritty. Furthermore, a lot of people who write for games can code and do other things as well.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Chances are unlikely unless you are friends with someone who works there (honestly, a higher-up), and even then, they have people who do this already.

semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings.
good luck

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not going to happen. I mean to boot I'm pretty sure this was the most popular thing on steam greenlight when it still existed. If you can design the game, and pitch it to people through kickstarter then do it.

Realistically I thought of and pitched this same thing as well to friend at a publisher, and even told them I'd help create the team. Their by the head of the publisher, that this would be a immediate failure. Nobody wants to play an open ended game like this, and the work to do something this large would be hundreds of millions of dollars.

No publisher will spend this amount to develop, play test, and market a game of this magnitude.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Develop some sort of skill, get hired at one of said companies, then work your way up the ranks until you're in a high enough management position to propose this idea.

Furio

Oct 25, 2017
Ideas are easy and a dime a dozen. Execution is what matters. To be frank, none of the big companies are going to listen to you. What you've described so far is a budget well over $100m

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a new or original idea, they won't want it, and if it's a rehash, they are already doing it.

AAA is mostly a creative dead end.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think your lack of technical knowledge is making you think this idea is possible. You sound like the kid who combines all of the board games together to make the ultimate board game and it's a disaster to play.

Poemkin

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but nothing you've written is actually a game idea. Also, companies don't use 'game ideas' submitted from the outside. It'd never even be reviewed, as it'd be a legal nightmare.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
The budget on a pitch like this is probably beyond the 300 million range and would be the most expensive game ever made.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Game companies don't take ideas from outside individuals. They won't even listen to you, because then you could sue them if they ever happen to do anything close to what you pitched.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I'm sorry, but the description of the idea reminded me of this...

giphy.gif

But you gotta give it to the guy... If nothing else, he's got confidence in his idea.

I doubt that the approach would ever work. However, you could channel that energy and passion into something that can be actually done.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I would say, for future advice, if you have an awesome idea, don't share it on a public forum until you've got something on paper/developed. People can swoop it up and do their own thing.

And yeah if you've already tried communicating your idea, you're going to need to get a job at one of those places or know someone who works there. You can imagine how chaotic things would be if they fielded every fan request. However, I also wouldn't doubt that some people have read your communications. You may have influenced internal work. Who knows?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ideas are easy. Actually putting the work in to figure it all out is the hard part.

If you could somehow make a prototype demo of your idea working, and had a story board of the story, and all the concept art... then maybe you could make a pitch... maybe. With literally nothing but the idea, though, how can you even show it would work or what it would look like outside of your imagination?

You need SOMETHING to show people to make your pitch, otherwise being the "ideas person" would be easy money.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You build some sort of prototype or small demo to pitch it. Your idea in just "words" isn't really worth anything unless you can at least show it in action in some capacity.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Everyone has award winning ideas. Very few have the resources, skill, and talent to make them.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
They wouldnt want to hear your pitch. Even if it's the best pitch they've ever heard in the world they wouldnt want to hear it from some nobody on the street.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Start by getting a low level job at MS or Sony and work your way up. Your ideas are not going to be put ahead of people who have been with the companies for years.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The budget on a pitch like this is probably beyond the 300 million range and would be the most expensive game ever made.
This is literally past Star Citizen in terms of how expensive it would be. That's literally what I was told when I was proding questions at a publisher head. This game would also be well in the terabytes in storage usage.

Can you take your passion and idea and world and create fiction stories from it? That's a project you can do yourself.
Realistically writing a book of a universe like this and then getting a pitch to a company to make one part of this would be easier then making this game.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go to school. Get a job. Build up your resume. Make something special on the side. Rise up in the company. Do your time. 20 maybe 30 years. And maybe you will get to pitch your idea.

You cant skip the struggle and expect to succeed.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be careful with sharing ideas. One time I was playing PSX with a bunch of friends and I told how great it would be to play a PSX with more power and better graphics. A few years later Sony announced PS2. I still dont know which friend gave Sony my idea.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I'm good buddies with Phil, so you can tell me what the idea is and I'll tell him.
Download unity and get to work
He should collaborate with the dude (iamthatiam?) that recreates Detroit levels in his free time.
I'd be careful with sharing ideas. One time I was playing PSX with a bunch of friends and I told how great it would be to play a PSX with more power and better graphics. A few years later Sony announced PS2. I still dont know which friend gave Sony my idea.
Sounds like a job for JG Wentworth!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
No really why are people not reading the OP lol.
I need to know what existing IP it could be:
  • Could work as a FPS TPS RPG RTS open world story based game
  • Work with multiplayer
  • Is popular worldwide
  • Has never had a game before