• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Spiritfarer
Undertale
Concrete Genie
Gone Home
Tell Me Why
Ratchet & Clank

Dec 23, 2017
A Hat in Time, it's so good and it seems right up your alley

Oh, this is a good one.

A_Hat_in_Time_cover_art.png

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking RPG a lot right now lol.

How are those Y's games? Are they too long? I know many are on the PS4.
I mean, it's nothing like anything on your list, but if you're looking for a 20hr RPG, I really enjoyed Voidspire Tactics. The graphics are not impressive, and it's turn-based and clunky and super indie, but I really enjoyed it. FFT-like job system, satisfyingly cheesable combat, fun eerie setting.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Cosmic Star Heroine is one of our games and it's a JRPG on Switch that is 12-17 hours long according to HowLongToBeat.com.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Children of Morta is excellent and i put it on the same tier as Hollow Knight. Starts a little slow but once you get them upgrades, whoa.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just completed Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. It was a really great experience on harder difficulty. Not unlike Souls. It's got that Metroidvania-style level design, great set pieces, and a couple of fun boss fights. It took about 20 hours or so. It also seems like it's been patched, seeing as I got no technical hiccups as opposed to what I read from launch. Even if you're not into Star Wars, I think the combat was a lot of fun.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Since it's not on your list, play Axiom Verge. Fantastic metroidvania. Also Paper Mario Origami King.

I'll also add another vote for Steamworld Dig 2. Such a fun game.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
For platformers I'd recommend N++ and OlliOlli 1/2. Both very pick up and play while also being challenging at higher levels.

Guacamelee is the most underrated Metroidvania this gen. The combat plays out like how you would imagine a 2D DMC would work and I'd honestly put the first game over the first Ori.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Platformers, RPGs (oxymoronic given the title lol), Metroidvania, Roguelikes, DMC/Ninja Gaiden clones, and fighters.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1 / 2
Unavowed (it's an adventure game which is RPG adjacent in terms of having character class selection at the start and a lot of dialogue choices)
Monster Train / Slay The Spire
LISA: The Painful RPG
moon: Remix RPG (Warning: an adventure game, not an RPG. Here be puzzles, and lots of them. But totally worth it)

Some of these are PC games but they can also run on a toaster, so I know it's not a platform that was listed but you can probably run them on anything

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Since little nightmare 2 is releasing soon and I found the trailer to be super interesting, I just bought the complete edition of the first one and I'm really liking it. With all the dlc (3 packs of 1h or 1h and a half each) it takes about 10 hours I've read.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'd honestly try different genres complete to do a full palette cleanse, like maybe try one of the call of duty or Doom campaigns especially considering one of the CODs is on PS+ this month. I recently blew through them all and they are all short 8-10 hour games that are fun.

also dunno if you grabbed the Hitman's when they were free on various places but its a different kind of puzzler thats basically as long as you want it to be, you can finish the game in like 6 hours or sink 100 hours if you wanna try everything. Hitman 2 base level is free I think everywhere.

I'm sorta mirror opposite of you, I have recently finished a bunch of AAA games like AC origins, AC odyssey, Far Cry 5, all the call of duties (sp campaigns), Yakuza 2, Xenoblade DE, BOTW, etc and am looking at your recent completion list of indie games as things to tackle next lol. I did really, really enjoy The Outer Wilds but it feels like another shortish indie game similar to your recently played list.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Ultrakill is what a Devil May Cry dev team would make if they time traveled to the mid-90s and were tasked with making a FPS. Still early access, but already very fun.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I swear, some of these reply just want to list their favorite game even if it's a game more than 40h lol like dragon dogma and yakuza 0

My suggestion would be Outer Wilds if you like detective, no hand holding. Saying more would be a spoiler.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Put some time in Death Stranding and later TLOU2, so I'm a bit burned out on these long ass AAA games. I own a Switch, PS4, and XB1 with Gamepass. The last amazing bite sized game I played was Gato Raboto via GamePass. It was a Metroidvania, but took me 4 hours to beat, which while not at least 8 hours, was a nice palate cleanser.

I'm basically waiting for Spelunky 2 lol. Which I will destroy like the prequel lol.

In terms of fav genres:

Platformers, RPGs (oxymoronic given the title lol), Metroidvania, Roguelikes, DMC/Ninja Gaiden clones, and fighters.

Games I've enjoyed this generation to give a better understanding of my tastes:

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • DMC5
  • SFV
  • Samurai Showdown 2019
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Nier: Automata
  • KH3
  • RE2R
  • Pokemon SwSh/LGPE
  • Cuphead
  • Ori (both games)
  • Dark Souls 3/BB/Sekiro
  • Celeste
  • Monster Boy
Undertale, Deltarune.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you enjoyed Monster Boy, definitely play Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. And since Cuphead was listed, check out 2d run 'n guns like Blazing Chrome and Huntdown. And for a short RPG, there's Cosmic Star Heroine.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Destroy All Humans (remake). You can complete the whole game in about 15 hours, but the main campaign takes about 8 hours or so, if not less.

Mar 19, 2020
Outer. Wilds. Do it.

Steam World Dig 2 and Yoku (though they may no longer be on Game Pass). Wandersong, Gardens Between. I enjoyed Battletoads quite a bit.

(I down vote Yakuza 0. I've put in 60 hours and didn't finish XD. I COULD HAVE finished, but the side stuff is the best.)
Add another vote for Outer Wilds and Steam World Dig 2! If you really want something different but great after those, try Hypnospace Outlaw. Yoku and Gardens Between had their merits too.

Oct 28, 2017
If you like mystery games...

Return of the Obra Din
Paradise Killer
Hypnospace Outlaw

You can beat all in 10 hours or less and they are all amazing, best use of 30 hours you can get if you like mysteries.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
One of my favorite games I picked up recently was Outer Wilds (not to be confused with Outer Worlds).

I loved the exploration, puzzles, and figuring out the overarching story through the environment.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at game pass:
Tell Me Why, episodic story adventure game, not in your favorite genres but certainly a decent story to experience?
Hypnospace Outlaw, check out the most elaborate fake 90s internet
Star Renegades, roguelite sRPG, waypoint was just talking about this one
Gris, heard a lot of good things about the style of this platformer
Panzer Dragoon Orta, old but always recommended if you haven't tried it. Likewise, some other old games on gamepass as well.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Playing Moon on Switch right now and it's pretty good for this. The Witcher 3 and some other bigger games burned me out a bit, so it's nice to chill in this weird world for ~15-20 hours. I'd look up some trailers and see if it's something you're interested in

I also always come back to Animal Crossing. It's nice as a little "home base" that I can hang out and spend some downtime in between bigger game experiences

EDIT: Gris is also a great suggestion, imagine something like Disney's Fantasia but as a game

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Outer Wilds, Kentucky Route Zero, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Transistor, Hades, What Remains of Edith Finch. I guess those are the smallest games I love and would absolutely recommend.