• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I think the term "gentrification" is inadequate and misleading in the conversation of low-income population displacement in urban areas, and stands in the way of effectively portraying the issue to unwitting outsiders who don't see the harm in urban areas becoming more affluent. I believe the word characterizes the state of the neighborhood, ITS wealth, and neglects to inform the state of the former occupants who were displaced from their homes, forced to find new jobs, separate their families, or even forcibly sell their assets at massively discounted prices due to government and corporate coercion. By framing the issue around the increase in property values and the average wealth of the occupants, it neglects to address the actual meat of the issue, which is the human cost of forcing people to move out of their homes against their will into areas with poorer access to transportation, essential services, and employment opportunities.

I say all this coming from a place where all I knew about gentrification living in the sticks growing up was that more neat shops and clubs were moving into the city that I would occasionally visit, and that all the railing against "gentrification" made no sense to me because I couldn't (or refused to) see the cost, and the word itself didn't seem to convey any of that essential context.

Much like "urban renewal," I would rather this word not be the focal point of discussion, even presented in a negative or sarcastic context. I think it shields people from engaging with the idea that increasing the nominal value of a particular neighborhood may often come at significant cost to the wellbeing of its current and/or former occupants, as wealthy land developers appropriate the value cultivated by locals and further systemic inequality.

What do you think? Is "gentrification" still a useful term or should it be mothballed in favor of a more evocative phrase like "urban displacement?"

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I'd say that your ignorance on the meaning of the term gentrification and its negative connotation isn't a reason to stop using a word that has long been associated with its negative effects.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem isn't the word. In so far as there is a problem at all, it's that people don't *care* about displacement.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
There's not a great word for "the human cost of forcing people to move out of their homes against their will into areas with poorer access to transportation, essential services, and employment opportunities" except 'gentrification'. 'urban displacement' feels more academic, and ironically less accessible.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gentrification includes displacement, even most non urban scholars would know that it is an all-encompassing term.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like the word has a very strong negative connotation, but it's something that needs to be taught in schools for sure.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind if we had a more severe term that captured the idea of it being only a few steps removed from ethnic cleansing.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Your title and your op seems to be having two different discussions.

One is about semantics, and the other is about a concept.

Which one did you really want to discuss?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i understand where you're coming from, but i feel like the word already only gets used by people who think it's a bad thing. not sure what other words are out there for "pricing people out of their own communities in a typically-institutionally-racist manner." a businessman or politician who wanted to sell heavy development as a good thing would just call it "development" or "cleaning up the neighborhood" or some other dogwhistle.

...but you created an entire discussion focused on the word.
I took it as meaning OP dislikes that our go-to word is the word for "make a neighborhood more expensive and wealthy" instead of a word specifically designed to say "pricing out the current residents of an area."

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Urban displacement is much worse. There are tons of other reasons that people are displaced in urban areas that aren't necessarily tied to what we would refer to as gentrification, such as infrastructure development and public works projects, decisions that have cultural impacts but are primarily ones made to address public needs first. What makes gentrification significant is that it simultaneously and knowingly involves financially pushing out minorities/poor from an area and actively advancing a different culture in place of the one that had once existed there. Urban displacement doesn't capture the cultural changes that make gentrification so problematic, at least not nearly as strongly, and so is a weaker term for the phenomenon.

Apology for my stupidity
OP
OP
Bramblebutt

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Your title and your op seems to be having two different discussions.

One is about semantics, and the other is about a concept.

Which one did you really want to discuss?

I guess the discussion I wanted to have, and maybe what this reveals about my own personal ignorance, is how "gentrification" is a word that seems to carry different meanings for different people. Where I grew up in rural WNY, gentrification was not characterized as a negative force, I feel in part because it didn't affect any of us personally, and in fact more often benefitted those we knew who had bought land out in the country to live on than those who actually had to suffer displacement in urban areas. I see this sort of thinking reflected in regards to the discussion surrounding gentrification on different corners of the Internet and the national political conversation, and it makes me feel like the term is ill-suited to penetrating the rural/urban divide in this country because it reflects the divide in how the urban poor and the rural poor are affected by property value and "development."

However, as I mull it over more in my head more, I think my own issues with the word come from a place of significant privilege, since I actually owned the land I lived on, as little it was worth, and didn't (and probably still don't) understand or appreciate the unmistakably negative connotation the term gentrification has for those it negatively affects.

I apologize for being so ignorant and arrogant to not seek people with greater lived experience than I before releasing such an inappropriate, pedantic rant about something I clearly still don't understand.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, gentrification can actually be positive in its initial stages. If you have an area that is just overwhelmingly poor,it is bad on all fronts. There will be a lot of problems relating to crime, drugs, poverty etc and no money to actually address these problems because the local council can't collect any money through taxes. When more middle or higher income first come to the area because of cheaper rents, the council now has more access to tax money and usually the initial wave of people who move into a poor area are progressive, so there is incentive to provide programs to address issues of poverty. When I was an undergrad in Sociology, I remember reading a journal article saying mixed income areas provide the most social mobility.

The problem is runaway gentrification when it just keeps going and eventually everyone is out priced except for the really rich who now define the area. For me, it's hard to say how to solve this because cities/areas have always changed and gone through cycles of gentrification and decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.