• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The interview is supposed to last for three hours, so I thought I'd eat something quick beforehand and got a jalapeño bagel. Now my mouth is on fire and I have no mint or gum. Am I fucked?

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
what does a jalapeno even smell like

wouldn't it smell more like cheese because (i'm assuming) you got a jalapeno cheddar bagel?

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Just ask em if they have a mint, lotta admins have em on their desks. Don't be shy. If anything it's a conversation starter lol.

Has Bean

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If it were me interviewing you, it'd be +10 respect. Love jalapeno bagels.

Honestly they probably won't be close enough to you to even tell.

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
They can not tell when you are only kissing their ass. I think you are ok. Rum or Vodka on the otherhand and you may have an issue

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
If there is absolutely nothing you can do right now, I'm sure you'll be fine. Maybe playfully mention the bagel during the interview to ease any tension about the smell.

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
Probably ok, unless you're doing a casting couch interview.

In which case, you're fucked either way.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Eating spicy food right before a 3 hour long interview is a bold move. Godspeed, OP. Definitely bring a bottle of water.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe your interviewer was in the middle of placing an online order for a burger and couldn't figure out what toppings he/she wanted on their burger. You may have helped them decide, which in turn makes you look like a go-getter or something.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday my friend was on a hiring committee and it came down to 2 candidates. One was eliminated due to terrible breath. True story.

OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did have a bottle of water with me, so I hope it helped somewhat.

Anyway, eh, not sure how well it went. A coworker of mine had an interview with them a while back (didn't get the job) and they told him what the salary was. Here, I had to bring it up when they asked me if I had any questions, and they wouldn't give me a straight answer. If I don't get the job, I'll hate-eat a jalapeño bagel to drown my sorrows. If I do get the job, I'll celebrate by eating a jalapeño bagel anyway. Those things are good.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Are you doing some kind of casting couch thing, or is the interview for a human practice dummy for dentists? If not and the interview room is bigger than nine square feet, you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Jon Carter

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you doing some kind of casting couch thing, or is the interview for a human practice dummy for dentists? If not and the interview room is bigger than nine square feet, you'll be fine.

It's not when we were sitting down that I was worried, it's when we shook hands. Like, I got in the car before the interview and my wife said I smelled bad. I didn't realize it was going to be that obvious but I guess that spicy smell is noticeable.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
It's not when we were sitting down that I was worried, it's when we shook hands. Like, I got in the car before the interview and my wife said I smelled bad. I didn't realize it was going to be that obvious but I guess that spicy smell is noticeable.

It's pretty nice to have someone there to tell you about seemingly insignificant flaws but at the same time it definitely didn't matter in this situation-- as long as you weren't mouth-breathing heavily into their face, or have poor oral hygiene that enhanced your jalapeno bagel breath, they didn't notice or care.

I say that as someone who does a decent amount of hiring, but I'm kind of assuming that there aren't that many assholes who would think "is that their breath?!" and mentally negate the rest of the interview

Oct 28, 2017
A three hour job interview - yikes. They should be paying you for that.
Pretty common for on-site interviews. I think it's fine if it's a "if this goes well, we'll hire you" interview. If they're gonna make you interview for 3 hours, they should have a lot of good signal on wanting to hire you and be looking to hire you if you pass their bar. It's sucks if they do it with dozens of other candidates that have barely been evaluated.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Try to mask the smell of jalapeño in some way. Open your mouth and move your head back very far. Then with a lot of force swing your head forward and down, so it goes between your legs and then proceed to take a dump in your mouth.