• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yep. Demon's Souls is the first game I think of.

I assume P.T will go the same way once the PS5 is released.

I agree. Persona 4 Golden still being chained to the Vita's fetid corpse is just criminal at this point.

Mostly true ... but you can also play it on the PSTV.

Small consolation, but it's a way to play it with controller on your TV.

Yes, OP, it sucks. It's why everything should be on PC.

Speaking of PS5 backwards compatibility, I keep hearing people say they're expectng FULL backwards comptability - so including the PS3.

... But what about all that talk about the PS3 being super special and complicated with all those cells? The reason there was no PS3 games on PS4 without buying remasters. What changed now? Other than they already sold the remasters. Guess they cracked it now huh?

Don't expect PS3 BC and you won't be disappointed.

That's how I'm playing it, anyway.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's doubly annoying when it's a game that's not just stuck on one console, but also stuck on physical medium only despite being on a system that has digital releases of games like a lot of the Square-Enix PSP games. So not only do you have to have a specific console, but you also have to track the game down. Like for example, a lot of the Square-Enix games on PSP aren't available digitally (but a few are!). And on the PS3, you can buy FF13-2 & Lightning Returns digitally, but not FF13.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is precisely why the emulation and preservation scene is so damn important.

Jan 21, 2019
Pretty much every console that can be emulated can be relatively easily hacked, which makes the process of dumping your game discs simple. That, of course, necessitates you to own the original hardware in most cases though. Some systems, like PS1/PS2/PS3, Wii, etc, can be dumped on PC if you have the right optical drives for those however.
Emulators aren't perfect though and come with a can of worms. Not every emulator is Dolphin sadly. People get blinded by all the YouTube videos that show old games in 4k what they don't show are graphical bugs half way through, crashes or other problems.

I love Emulation and I support it for game preservation but the best option is still to have all games on an open platform and that open platform is on PC.

The best way would be to release the games on console and a year or two later on PC. That was you get the benefit of an exclusive, plus the broadened audience on PC plus the assurance that they game will survive hardware iterations.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
We need Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Wheel of Fate on all 3 current consoles + PC asap.

And a 3D Dot Game Heroes remaster for good measure!

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
this is why it is better releasing the games on both consoles and pc. Even if pc port is bad, it can later be amended and console assets can be used

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I feel like replaying Crisis Core FF7 before the remake in March. I own a PS3, PS4, and Vita. Yet crisis core has received no rerelease or remaster, nor is it available digitally. I had to get a PSP off ebay Just to play the game. I really hate that. I know the reason for it is licensing issues related to the music in the game or something, but I still hate it. I know there's other games locked to consoles like this, and it drives me mad. Lot of PS3 games i think.

I'm surprised they never brought it to PS4, similar how they brought couple games from Kingdom hearts that were on other platforms over in a collection.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get it. Mario Odyssey is locked to one console too. It'd be great if every game was on every system. But there are these forum rules that kind of prevent us from talking about it, so I'm just saying, I'm glad there's a thread where we can.
Can you not backseat mod next time?

OP, yeah I agree. I even own the game and have a PSP and have zero desire to play it on that when i own a Vita.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
This is the eternal plight of all Sega Saturn game enthusiasts. (Can we at least get new versions of Dragon Force or Panzer Dragoon Saga, benevolent gaming deity). I will continue to pray to Astea in hopes that my wishes be answered.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

Speaking of PS5 backwards compatibility, I keep hearing people say they're expectng FULL backwards comptability - so including the PS3.

... But what about all that talk about the PS3 being super special and complicated with all those cells? The reason there was no PS3 games on PS4 without buying remasters. What changed now? Other than they already sold the remasters. Guess they cracked it now huh?
You should not be listening to anyone who says PS3 backwards compatibility is coming on PS5.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
It's doubly annoying when it's a game that's not just stuck on one console, but also stuck on physical medium only despite being on a system that has digital releases of games like a lot of the Square-Enix PSP games. So not only do you have to have a specific console, but you also have to track the game down. Like for example, a lot of the Square-Enix games on PSP aren't available digitally (but a few are!). And on the PS3, you can buy FF13-2 & Lightning Returns digitally, but not FF13.
Which other ones is that? Aside from crisis core.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I would buy a Nintendo Switch if they brought over the Mario Galaxy games and Wonderful 101.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Which other ones is that? Aside from crisis core.

Besides Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts PSP, and the remakes of Star Ocean 1 & 2 aren't available digitally.

The remakes of Tactics Ogre, FFT, and FF4 Complete are all available digitally though. Also Dissidia. Oh and 3rd Birthday which means you can play it with a second analog stick on the Vita (although whether it's worth playing even then is debatable).

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a bigger problem with games that are near impossible to play anymore like Panzer Dragoon Saga or a 60fps Sega Rally Championship. PDS tragically stuck as a insanely expensive Saturn game and Sega Rally have one 60fps port as a extra disc on a Japanese only PS2 Sega Rally game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot of licensed games that are stuck on a console generation that are unlikely to ever get rereleased that I would love to play again like WWE All Stars, Def Jam: Fight for NY, NBA Jam 2 & 3, Jason Borne Conspiracy, The James Bond games, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, etc...

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like replaying Crisis Core FF7 before the remake in March. I own a PS3, PS4, and Vita. Yet crisis core has received no rerelease or remaster, nor is it available digitally. I had to get a PSP off ebay Just to play the game. I really hate that. I know the reason for it is licensing issues related to the music in the game or something, but I still hate it. I know there's other games locked to consoles like this, and it drives me mad. Lot of PS3 games i think.
That game would be good to play.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I have a bigger problem with games that are near impossible to play anymore like Panzer Dragoon Saga or a 60fps Sega Rally Championship. PDS tragically stuck as a insanely expensive Saturn game and Sega Rally have one 60fps port as a extra disc on a Japanese only PS2 Sega Rally game.
I really do hope M2 move onto the next era of Sega games with the ongoing Sega Ages series. Feels like they've been putting off going past the early/mid 90s for a very long time.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, video game publishers suck with game preservation. It's why remasters sell so well. A lot of the times, we just want to play the same game on upgraded hardware.

That's like the one game guaranteed to be ported to Switch.

I feel like Nintendo is more likely to wait on Xenoblade X for the Switch 2 since the Switch 1 already has Xenoblade 2, Torna, and the upcoming Xenoblade 1 remaster/remake.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017

Who are saying that though? Because IIRC last time Sony talked about PS5 BC with PS4 they made it sound like it may be a compromised experience.

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
It seems that square is multiple offender. I would love to be able to play Valkyrie Profile 2 it's stuck on the ps2 physical only not even on the ps3 store.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is how I feel about Arcade games. Mainly Lightgun games. Its just not a thing thats supported anymore. Making a gun accessory of any kind would cause issues. VR may bring some of these back but its not mainstream enough yet to warrant these ports.