• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I respect your opinion OP and I agree on some points, but at the end of the day the franchise prints money...billions and billions of dollars

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You are a fan if I've ever seen one. I didn't know they had preludes. Goldstars and a Line Tree Air Freshener to you!

Last edited:

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Lin also had a clear appreciation for the characters in a way Wan and Gray clearly didn't, who treated them like basically just action figures in a playset.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
To me, the franchise wasn't too bad by F7, but you could see the cracks in the foundation without Paul Walker and his character. Walker was never a good actor, but his character grounded the movies and the team. With F8, Vin Diesel was in full control and it definitely showed. If the next two are going to be everyone jobbing to Toretto and his heroics, I'm out. Hobbes and Shaw was great and showed the franchise can stand on its own without the need for Diesel stroking his oversized ego for 2.5 hours because this is the only decent franchise he has.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It always bugs me when people say F&F is about dumb fun and mindless set pieces. Yes, the movies have always been dumb, but they were a different kind of dumb. They were more than just "fast car drive out big building". It also undersells the legitimately great aspects of Fast Five, which is a very well executed movie.

After 5 it felt like they took the wrong message from its success and decided to bring in more celebrities and stunts. The series desperately needs to come back down to earth.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Paging donkey

Paging donkey

We have an emergency.
F9: Familia vs (new) Familia

NS8F92u.jpg

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 7 > 8 > 2

I love the early 00 cheese of 1, I was a teen, at a time in my life where all my friends were really involved in street racing. So there's nostalgic affection that brings back the good old days for me.

Tokyo Drift was brilliant too, apart from the main actor.

But I agree that the scale has gotten way out of hand and if they can, bring back down to smaller, local threats that revolves around racing or heist, perhaps both.

Hobbs and Shaw was unmitigated trash. Please, no more.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I love 5 and 6. Have an appreciation for 3. Everything else is bad to mediocre.

The best thing about 7 is Paul Walker's sendoff. The plotting of that film is as bad as Rise Of Skywalker. Maybe for the same reason too.

Dec 31, 2017
I mean it's just wild now. Entertaining, but wild. 5 was where the balance shifted completely; it was the last truly great one.

I still remain steadfast that Tokyo drift is the best. Wabaki.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man I'd love for another Tokyo Drift - actually just racing - movie. By far my favorite.

Oct 25, 2017
I love how in 7 there is a damn military attack helicopter blowing stuff up in downtown LA and there aren't US fighter jets there within 5 minutes lol

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime anyone has positive words for 2 Fast 2 Furious I know they are probably good people.

That movie is a treat.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1-3 were classic street racing movies.
4-6 were really good action movies centered on cars.
7, 8, and H&S are straight up anime of the very dumb variety (still entertaining to a degree imo, but they're definitely pushing it)

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
5 is the best one and the last good one. Series jumped the shark after that and had been comically bad since then. Yes 5 had some whacky things but they weren't that whacky compared to what came after starting with 6.
also No Paul Walker sucks.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
6 had that ridiculous vin diesel superman dive catching leti, but otherwise was entertaining.

7 and 8 were just really ridiculous.

1 +2 + 5 are the only great ones.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
This series became good when they decided that "family">physichs.

That fucking scene with the safe in Brazil with the safe is still hilarious.

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo Drift is still my favorite. Does anyone know about other racing movies, preferably set in Japan? Someone above mentioned Initial D.

Watching the insane power creep is funny though. The Rock had literal super strength and Idris Elba was a fucking Terminator in the most recent one.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
5 & 6 are the peak. They stopped caring after that and know they can just pump out the same formulaic garbage and make easy money.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I saw 1 & 2 way back in the day. Didn't really care for them, especially 2. Saw Tokyo Drift when that came out and actually sort of liked it at the time, but not enough to keep going with the series.

Seeing people, especially on Era, hype this series so much, I decided to revisit it last year. Started with Fast & Furious, since that's where I left off. It was... eh. But everyone said Fast Five was the best one, so I continued. It was... ok. Canceled my plans to catch up on it all. The one everyone said was the best didn't resonate much with me, so I figured I'd be wasting my time with the rest of them. Series just isn't for me I guess.

I really enjoyed Lin's Aquaman though. So I'm thankful that this series raised his profile to a point where he's got his pick of blockbuster jobs. Great news for FF fans that he's coming back to the next two. I'll be interested to check out what he does after that.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
These films got better when they embraced their silliness. The fourth one in particular is this really dour, dumb detective movie (apart from the opening where the truck flips). Justin Lin and James Wan are the best directors the franchise has ever had but I still think F8 and Hobbs and Shaw were entertaining nonsense.

Learning that people take the over-earnest "family is everything" theme seriously almost made me die laughing, though. Shit is so corny.

Oct 27, 2017
Fast Five was the series at it's PEAK. It straddled the line between them just being street car racers and super humans without going over. After that it seemed to tip into the super human category, especially as Hobbs/The Rock has played a more prominent role

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of right there with you, but I think 4(Fast and Furious) is in the mix for the absolute worst in the series. It was trying to be too serious, it felt like it was a left over script that was just turned into a fast and furious movie, and it just didn't have the feeling or heart of the series.

8 and Hobbs and Shaw have made me basically turn a blind eye to this series moving forward. Probably my favorite movie series and 8 and Hobbs and Shaw just feel like they have no clue what people actually like about the series. They now just feel like checklists that they have to check off, but the lists are basically just "things they have had in the series before this". Hobbs and Shaw literally had a token NOS scene by NOS being in a tow truck in Samoa...just because.

Everything now just feels gratuitous and necessary, but not in a fun way.

Last edited:

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
At least none of the films are as bad as Fast and Furious: Supercharged at Universal. Jesus what a shitty ride.

Dec 2, 2017
I thought the first one was alright, but then the second one had Ja Rule in it so I kind of hate it on principle. But then the third one had Sonny Chiba and Keiichi Tsuchiya so I'm sorta back on board even though the guy playing the high school kid lead has a giant forehead and looks 34.

Everyone made a big deal about the fourth one but when I finally saw it, I thought it was a little too straightforward. Skipped over the fifth one, until I wound up seeing the sixth one in the theatre because for whatever reason my then-girlfriend who hated violent media really wanted to see it. DAMN! I loved how over the top it had gotten. Went back and saw the fifth one, thought it was fun too, but couldn't figure why anyone would pick it over the sixth one.

Seventh one, I thought it was kinda fun but it felt like the formula was wearing thin. Eighth one with all the secret pasts & stuff was like...yeah, I might be done with this. I guess I'll see if Lin can bring back the spark.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Honestly should have gone anthology after Tokyo Drift dealing with street racing around the world, sprinkling cameos across the movies and maybe having cameos here and there with Paul Walker and Vin diesel. I know it wouldn't have been sustainable after the early 2000s tuning craze died out, but I hate what it has become after 4. Would have been cool as its own entity, but it has lost the charm the first 3 movies had.