• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about free-floating cursor UIs on console

• I hate them

Votes: 1,212 67.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 421 23.5%
  • I like them

Votes: 155 8.7%

• Total voters

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not a fan. It's tolerable, but I prefer to use standard d-pad navigation, which thankfully many games still support.

As far as "accessibility" goes, Assassin's Creed games make it obvious that's not the case. The reason they don't support the touchpad or gyro is because the Xbox controller doesn't have those things. If they really cared about making the menus "accessible", they would add that functionality even if only half their user base could use it, and they would allow the option for more traditional d-pad navigation. True accessibility is all about options, not trying to make a "one size fits all" solution.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah, I hate that it's becoming so prevalent.

Avenger's has it, but thankfully you can use the d-pad to select things in at least some of the menus, like how a console menu SHOULD control like.

Unfortunately Avenger's is full of that.
Why can't I open chests right away? Or push buttons right away?

I'd much prefer games just make the button press immediate and maybe include a 2 second timer afterwards to cancel it, at least then the feedback from the game would feel better, even if you're still waiting the same amount of time.

Holding a button down to select things or dp tiny tasks never feels good to do.
Maybe a quick double tap would be the solution.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I hated it in Smash and every game that's decided to copy it. I'll never understand why anyone would approve this kind of inaccurate selection method.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm a big destiny nut. But this is another example of a thing that destiny started and did really well but everyone who copied it did it really badly. If you have the time and interested in UI I urge you to check out the GDC talk over this. They really did their research and fine tuned it to perfection. It's not something that you can just slot it into any type of game and call it a day.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Well, I'm a dev and I think this shit is lazy. Remember how shitty MP3 players were before the iPod came around? User Interface matters a great deal. Of course you can just try to shoehorn whatever stupid thing apparently works on some other platform, but good design means that you ensure that the hardware and the UI works hand in hand. Slapping a Cursor into games that people play with controllers is just sloppy and never resulted in great game feel.
Why do have to be so toxic every time you have some criticism about a game from another developer ?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I'm a dev and I think this shit is lazy. Remember how shitty MP3 players were before the iPod came around? User Interface matters a great deal. Of course you can just try to shoehorn whatever stupid thing apparently works on some other platform, but good design means that you ensure that the hardware and the UI works hand in hand. Slapping a Cursor into games that people play with controllers is just sloppy and never resulted in great game feel.
What is even weirder to me is games like Destiny 1 that didn't even have a PC version but still did that shit anyway.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty bullshit.

I'm not a huge fan of the "hold this button down until this circle fills up" thing.

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I like them. Especially when implemented really well like in Destiny. With so much to choose from and constantly swapping and using items from within the menu, it would get too much to have to click thru everything. With the analog cursor, you can make a direct path to what you want to access.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Would love to see the data of that research, cause a lot of research that gameDevs get is just really dumb. I remember on Ori we got a bunch of User Research feedback from people that wrote into their little dataSheets that they never played on a console or held a controller in their hands before. Well, duh, of course things like that might feel better to them than to people that are well versed with controllers.

You can't just trust data. There's a lot to gamefeel that you'll never get from user research. You have to KNOW what feels right and what doesn't. Look at the data here - the overwhelming majority voted for "I HATE them."

I personally couldn't agree more with the OP, this stuff just FEELS terrible. It's a PC User Interface that's IDEAL with a Mouse, but fairly cumbersome with a controller. It's sort of the easy way out for designers... "Hey guys, we have this really complex interface that'd work well on a PC with a mouse, but it'd be a pain in the ass to streamline it all so that it's also perfect if people play with a controller, what do we do?" "No problem, just implement a CURSOR! Job's done, who's in for Pizza?" -> There's a REASON why RTS games suck on consoles and it's this.

Also, this:

...makes me wonder if you're one of those folks who just generally feel that PC controls are better than controllers. Usually people with that attitude just try to shoehorn PC stuff into console games, cause 'the PC is doing it better anyway.' - But that really just means that you didn't want to do your job. If you ship your game on PC and console, the goal is to make sure that the UI works perfectly towards the strengths of both platforms instead of creating this awkward imbalance. Clunky UI can easily ruin an otherwise great game - So I'd approach this subject with a little more caution.

What? I might agree that research often has flawed methodology or flawed interpretations of their results, but this post feels like its attempting to dismiss User Research and data-driven development outright, which is flat out wrong.

Data may not be the end all be all of decision making, but its absolutely crucial to have when making design decisions and having worked with countless developers on data acquisition, my biggest observation is that sometimes people mistakingly rely on acquiring user data with no proper research or marketing methodology or do not dig enough into the data reliability of their external partner doing their data gathering.

I'd never attempt to dismiss user or market research as a whole outright though, as its super fucking valuable.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, there is a GDC presentation from Bungie about UI and free cursor in Destiny.

yeh but several people in this thread said that it's lazy and objectively bad so there

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at people calling it lazy, especially those of you who are actual devs. You should know better, fankly. I'd invite you do head on over to somewhere like Bungie and sit down with the folks who presumably spent hundreds of hours tuning, tweaking and getting the UI just right and tell them they're lazy. I'm sure it'd be a huge hit.

Last edited:

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Yes, I really don't like this to...
It's funny how years and years of game production, internet with all kinds of debates and impressions and we still see so many childish mistakes being made in regards to menus, interface, lack of options and many things in games...
I remember that until recently games started without subtitles and many times you had to watch all the first video to enable them...
there's just so many mistakes that in many games I asked myself even if some developers are used to play games...

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
For me it feels like shit, even in Destiny. Maybe there's a breakdown of people that prefer to use the analog vs d-pad in menus, and I fall on the d-pad side, but it always feels like a mouse interface retrofitted for console.

Then again I'm more of a cli person on a computer if I have multiple efficient tasks to perform, most people live on the gui side and a floating cursor is more natural for them then remembering the number of d-pad presses even when the cursor is being controlled by a wobbly, slow joystick rather than a precise mouse.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Data may not be the end all be all of decision making, but its absolutely crucial to have when making design decisions and having worked with countless developers on data acquisition, my biggest observation is that sometimes people mistakingly rely on acquiring user data with no proper research or marketing methodology or do not dig enough into the data reliability of their external partner doing their data gathering.

I 100% agree with this. I've experienced the same during the development of websites and web applications. People use random data they find online and think they are improving UX and accessibility, while this is not always the case. I'm sure this happens in game development as well. Maybe even more often, since accessibility is still a really low priority for lot's of game developers (But what do I know, it's still pretty bad on web too).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's literally the worst game design trend to come into play in the past 5 years. tied with "Tap and hold to activate" (And they go hand in hand).

It takes WAY too much effort to implement, WAY too much time to test it working correctly, and it feels like dragging a slug through a pile of salt.

I don't care if you poured your heart and soul getting it the way you like it... nobody else likes this, It's never faster than me tapping left 4 times, and pressing a single button, instead I have to hold left and drag the cursor there that way at an honestly embarrassing pace and then hold the button for a second to actually toggle what needs to be done there, because of the inaccuracy of moving a joystick as a mouse you can't trust immediate inputs.

And for people who say it's lazy, I understand why they'd feel that way. You develop a cross platform title, on PC it's gonna use a Mouse and not a controller so it'll have that same UI style, well just map the XY movement of a mouse to the right joystick and call it a day(And some games do this). But a Mouse moving around a screen is WAY faster and more precise than using a joystick, and the reason it's slow is because the joystick isn't precise enough.

I cannot state, how much I hate this design, and I have refunded games because of it.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any games with it so I don't have an opinion but I imagine I'd hate it
Even in games where it's optional like Miles Morales it's terrible. I use the stick to navigate the UI and the cursor there was annoying and sluggish and terrible for a controller. Don't kno what kind of research that suggest this is "better" tbh, must be the same that's telling them to turn every game into Destiny and Fortnite.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I've only experienced this in Destiny and No Man's Sky. On consoles navigating the menus feels like utter shit. Makes me want to stop playing the game. Hell, I don't even like it in No Man's Sky on PC when I'm using a mouse. Just give traditional menu controls please or at least give us the option to switch between the two styles.

Edit: Forgot this style is in modern Assassin's Creed titles as well. Absolutely awful no matter the game. Accessibility my ass.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I remember finding out Cyberpunk would have it in one those recent videos and I just rolled my eyes. I hate them.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
What games do this? I can't think of any.
I saw it in ports of PC games. It seems some studios don't want to make a different interface so the middle ground is that PC gamers are a priority. It's really not easy to adapt a game UI designed for a mouse to also work well with a controller if it wasn't designed from the start that way. There has to be compromises somewhere.

But I also see it in first parties too. Super Smash have a very weird interface that require a cursor because buttons are all over the place, diagonals, long buttons in one axis... but it looks cool.

Gran Turismo always had a bad UI, regardless of the mouse pointer decision, but that made it even worse. Many sim racing fans have a FFB wheel with only a dpad on it, making the mouse pointer even worse than it already was with a controller.

Some interfaces are designed in a way that makes the d-pad progression between the buttons seriously ambiguous. Like going left goes to A, right goes diagonally to B, but left again goes to C... WTF! This could be a UI designer mistake, or some management issues where the interfaces are made by graphics artists, not UI designers, and chosen based on form over function by management. Then it's the UI programmer's job to make it work (and they have no other choice than a pointer to solve the problem). I hate that as much as I hate the mouse pointer cop out decision.

The interface needs to be designed specifically with a controller in mind, to be best with a controller.
Seeing this thread leads me to believe that research may not be all its cracked up to be.
If they don't isolate the target market correctly in the research, it can lead to this kind of mismatch. You can find research reaching an opposite conclusions if the sampling is the wrong one for your market, despite being scientifically correct by being as broad as possible.

The Wiimote was designed based on research that people are confused if it's not shaped rectangular like a remote control.

The horrible A/V remove on PS5 is probably based on research showing people are confused with too many buttons. (great for youtube, horrible for blurays)

XB1 launch focusing on TV and kinect, because research shows people use youtube much more than they play games on console, and people are intimidated by a controller with buttons, we need to get rid of the controller.

WiiU... research shows people prefer touch screens, but we still want to make a home console... what should we do!

Can you imagine if the main OS interface was using a pointer everywhere?

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Well let's take a look at the character screen in Destiny for a moment and try to understand what it would feel like to navigate it with a d-pad, in terms of it being more or less intuitive for the average player. Jumping from the left to the right row would require different amount of inputs because stats are blocking the pathway for the top three gear icons, not to mention a fixed default position that might deviate from the players intentions (cursor always starts in the middle highlighting nothing). Switching classes would possibly mean that you have to press up or down because the icons are not placed in a horizontal line, yet their overall placement is to the direct left of the class icon. Highlighting things such as the glimmer/shards/light or the screen tabs means that you have no idea where the cursor will start out when you move into those rows because they are not in line with the overall interface. These are just minor things that anyone would eventually learn to handle with a d-pad but in terms of being intuitive (and possibly more practical) it's highly questionable if d-pad would be the preferred option with the interface that is currently on display.

And yes, they could of course re-design the entire interface to cater to d-pad usage, but then it would possibly compromise a lot of its aestethic qualities and I think we all can agree that Destiny looks incredible in this regard. It has after all won awards (outside of the gaming scene even) for its interface, both in terms of visual style and intuitiveness. If its only crime for using a cursor is being a bit slower then I think we can all learn to live with that.
Destiny's UI is actually super simple to set for non cursor UI, you start on Class Spec, Press right and it takes you to helmet, press down you go to Weapon 1. On any item press A to enter the UI and navigate into your gear for there, press A to swap. B to reverse menu.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it in Destiny because it's pretty fast.

I do not like it in Hunt: Showdown at all. It's very clear the menu was designed for PC and it's a pain to navigate playing on console.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This, combined with "hold A to do [thing you do every quarter of a second)" are the most annoying things in UI design ever.

Like yeah good thing I had to hold A to open that box of junk, would have been a disaster if my hand slipped and I did that by accident!

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the whole "use an analog mouse pointer on a menu that does nothing different than a dpad menu, and hold two seconds to confirm" is such a weird trend. If the menus required you to hover over different areas I could see it, but for lists it's beyond pointless.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was really annoying to me in Vampyr. I don't mind it when it's optional, like in Miles Morales.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I generally hate them too, but it's usually from shipping one game for all platforms so PC mouse UI just gets moved over to the sticks + cursor. It's lazy, but if there's good work arounds I'm fine with it.

I think Apex Legends does it 'best of the worst,' where you have the cursor but most other common actions are also mapped to a button.

(sorry originally wrote titanfall, meant apex)

What games do this? I can't think of any.

Apex Legends does it, but they do a good job of mapping common UI components to a button.

0K6ei7.png

In thiis example, in the middle of the screen above "Legends" you can see an aiming reticule which is your cursor. Apex does it pretty good where L1/R1 goes through the top menu, triangle or Y is "Ready" down at the bottom. But if you want to get to some items on the UI like inviting members to your squad (the large plusses in the diamonds in the middle) you have to scroll over to it. There might be shortcuts to do it but they're not obvious or memorable enough.

I play on Xbox and so you can B + A + Y through most of the menus very quickly and intuitively, but some of the more advanced things basically require you to use a controller like a mouse which is lame

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
The first time I experienced it was with Destiny 1 and I didn't like it back then. Playing through Fuser right now and I fucking hate it. There's no reason that that's the only way I can navigate through these simple menus with that sluggish horrible cursor. It's a terrible trend and it needs to stop.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
It's pretty dumb, because it's less usable than simply d-padding through the buttons/clickable objects.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Maybe it's to save development cost since you can use the same UI for PC ?

BTW some old games also did this:

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Research shows it is a far better, more intuitive, more easy to understand, and more easily compatible with more accessibility accessories UX than whatever games generally tend to have. :) It may not feel very console-like, but that's for the better.

If it's done for accessibility then it's all good. But when it's done for "normies", then non-normies have been sacrificed.

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
free floating cursors have always bothered me since I first saw them in Guilty Gear XX on the character select screen. At least that's the first time I remember seeing them anyway. Not quite the entire menu like Destiny but it's always seemed counter-intuitive and a waste of time versus a conventional menu in non-PC games.

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
Research shows it is a far better, more intuitive, more easy to understand, and more easily compatible with more accessibility accessories UX than whatever games generally tend to have. :) It may not feel very console-like, but that's for the better.
That's really cool, didn't know that. Would be cool though if games could implement a toggle for those that prefer one way over the other though.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's to save development cost since you can use the same UI for PC ?

BTW some old games also did this:

Oh my god that looks like a nightmare to play. Free floating cursor with just a D-pad.

I really hope Ubisoft doesn't see that video and get inspired.