• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It just always comes off as very sexist to me. Hell, even when people acknowledge that males can be that way it's always an afterthought.

But the whole image of a Karen encapsulates a lot of misogny about women being naggy/shrill/bitchy. It assumes that the customer is a woman or acts like a woman cause the image is of a woman. And women are naggy/bitchy/shrill. The reason they use a woman's name for the trope is because when a women acts this bitchy it gets taht image. Men are seen as power powerful and less looked down for acting like this. Note there is no name for a male who acts like this or people just call them Karens too. But they don't have a name for it as if this is really only a thing women do.

Way back when Livejournal was popular I was in a forum called customer's suck who I swear were SJW way before it caught on more and got "popular" (or rather more people started waking up). And I mean that in a good way. They are who taught me that describing some one when their race/gender/whatever doesn't really matter to the story usually shows that you already have a bias about that race/gender/whatever (keep in mind the group was there to bitch about asshole customers). They had expicit rules against describing the customer as anything but a customer unless the race/gender was important to the story and not in a sexist/racist way. At first I thought it was ridiculous but as time went on I could see the sense in it as they kept having to argue to people why this was a rule. Anyways... they had a term for what people use as karens today, entitlement bastard or bitch depending on the gender of the customer. I suppose you could even say entitlement assholes for multiples or to keep gender out of it entirely.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
i only hate the term "karen" because it minimizes what they really are -- racists

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Karen is one of the nicest things you could call them. I preferred if we just called them entitled assholes.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This strikes me as a white fragility type thing. Basically, if you're not a karen, why are you bothered by it? There are tons of white women named Karen who are progressive people who likely take the term in stride because it doesn't apply to them.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
There's a male version of it too. I hear people saying Kevin and David. Not sure which one is "official".

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Yeah, I think all that is fair. Whatever meaning "karen" might have had at the start has been drained out and now just seems to mean "white woman acting badly." I don't need to see a video every time someone in this country does something shitty.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty charitable. Some of they are looking to get black ppl killed a la Amy Cooper, Central Park asshole.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think Karen is a good term but I agree that its meaning has expanded to mean "bitchy" now instead of its original meaning.

My wife hates the term since her middle name is Karen and because I use her full name now whenever she gets angry with me.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I only take issue with Karen cause it's been run in to the ground. People need to get more creative instead of just rehashing the same thing over and over.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think all that is fair. Whatever meaning "karen" might have had at the start has been drained out and now just seems to mean "white woman acting badly." I don't need to see a video every time someone in this country does something shitty.
It's not even just that. Go anywhere on social media and have a disagreement with a covidiot? You're a Karen!

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Have any good non-racist Karens been inconvenienced by the term? I think it's pretty well applied to a very specific type of person. It feels like every day a near identical scenario plays out on camera.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I say we start calling them Wakkas, then what should we move onto hrmm.
iCBiadT.jpg

OP
OP
Tigress

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

This strikes me as a white fragility type thing. Basically, if you're not a karen, why are you bothered by it? There are tons of white women named Karen who are progressive people who likely take the term in stride because it doesn't apply to them.

Uh, I'm bitching about how it is sexist, not racist. Not sure why me being white/mutt or whatever matters here, I don't like it cause it uses some stereotypes that are already annoying about women to describe this (the whole connotation is a shrill/bitchy woman). And men just don't a word for it cause with them it doesn't stand out as much when they act like this (because trust me, there are plenty of entitled male customers... I work retail, I see them. But they aren't considered as ridiculous looking because they are men. In general when a man acts entitled it's nowhere near as looked down as if a woman gets uppity).

And for the person who said they have names for it, you really don't see people using those names for guys. As I said, when people acknowledge guys can be like that, it's an afterthought. And usually they are just lumped in as Karens as well.

And you know what, just cause a woman is ok with it doesn't mean it's not sexist. Women are perfectly able to be sexist or not even realize they are being sexist because it's so ingrained in our society (and most societies honestly).

I mean Karen is one of the nicest things you could call them. I preferred if we just called them entitled assholes.

I agree. that's what I'd like to see them called.

You'd think in a progressive forum people would understand what I'm getting at.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The term used to be kinda funny and useful but like anything else, the term has turned into "Woman I don't like" by too much of the internet.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
It's harder to say it's not sexist when it stopped being let me talk to your manager and started being "a woman is being shitty." It's basically an analog for bitch now.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Im frustrated with it cause I know bigoted white men that use the term. It definitely has its use but its so hypocritical for them to use it. When they use it, its like a shield from the idea that white men can have the same issues

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
It just always comes off as very sexist to me. Hell, even when people acknowledge that males can be that way it's always an afterthought.

But the whole image of a Karen encapsulates a lot of misogny about women being naggy/shrill/bitchy. It assumes that the customer is a woman or acts like a woman cause the image is of a woman. And women are naggy/bitchy/shrill. The reason they use a woman's name for the trope is because when a women acts this bitchy it gets taht image. Men are seen as power powerful and less looked down for acting like this. Note there is no name for a male who acts like this or people just call them Karens too. But they don't have a name for it as if this is really only a thing women do.

Way back when Livejournal was popular I was in a forum called customer's suck who I swear were SJW way before it caught on more and got "popular" (or rather more people started waking up). And I mean that in a good way. They are who taught me that describing some one when their race/gender/whatever doesn't really matter to the story usually shows that you already have a bias about that race/gender/whatever (keep in mind the group was there to bitch about asshole customers). They had expicit rules against describing the customer as anything but a customer unless the race/gender was important to the story and not in a sexist/racist way. At first I thought it was ridiculous but as time went on I could see the sense in it as they kept having to argue to people why this was a rule. Anyways... they had a term for what people use as karens today, entitlement bastard or bitch depending on the gender of the customer. I suppose you could even say entitlement assholes for multiples or to keep gender out of it entirely.
Maybe you should ask to speak to the manager about this.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I don't like that it took an ordinary name that millions of people use and made it a term associated with such terrible behavior, but the fact is we needed a word that encapsulated that behavior/world view/whatever and it's been very effective at shining a light.

I wonder how many children will be named Karen this year. Probably flatlined that name for at least the next decade. Not that it's a particularly great name (fwiw, I don't much like my own name either lol.)

Oct 25, 2017
in its purest form it's fine with me, but the way i see some people throw it around on this forum does kind of start to make me feel a little uncomfortable

like, it starts to evoke "that bitch" to me, and oof

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

It's about people being racist, specifically calling the cops for minor infractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.