• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
The reason I bought a Dreamcast and one of my favorite games of all time: Crazy Taxi. What I would give for a new entry on next gen consoles...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is true and they have been better over the last 5 years or so but Sega has the IP catalog to sustain a console. They just have so many locked away in a vault collecting dust.

Let's be real: nobody cares about that ip except us.
Sega also isn't pumping out nearly enough content to satisfy a Sega console. People would be pissed waiting for games.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic literally only had 4 SEGA-made games this decade, with 3 of them releasing within 2010 and 2013. He's hardly eating resources.

Ok, so we'll eliminate all of the other Sonic games just to satisfy a false narrative.

Now tell me how many Shinobi games were also released during that period? Golden Axe? Super GT? Daytona USA? Outrun related anything? Virtua Cop? Panzer Dragoon? Skies of Arcadia? Virtua Fighter? House of the Dead? Burning Rangers? NiGHTs? Jet Set Radio?

Are we really going to push a narrative that Sonic didn't get enough attention??

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sega also isn't pumping out nearly enough content to satisfy a Sega console. People would be pissed waiting for games.

they actually have enough devs from their PC, arcade and mobile fields where they would relocate them to console development. It's what they did for the Dreamcast, throw all of their resources towards DC games.

Oct 28, 2017

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
While I love Yakuza it just feels like they are treading water. Not even Sonic is getting enough love. We got Mania and the nothing but fuckin Forces. Do they not have any devs teams? It just seems like they are a Yakuza developer and that's itZ

After Sonic Forces, most of Sonic Team got tasked with making Olympics games and then helping with Sakura Wars. They probably didn't start making a new mainline Sonic game until pretty recently.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
My problem with SEGA is that they do the SNK thing and rerelease the same popular and early stuff that was kinda janky over and over again, get to just before the good stuff in the timeline, then start again. It's only recently that we've got past KoF 97 with SNK, and I'm amazed we got through to 03.
Like, I'm sure there'll be another SEGA MD and early arcade compilation next gen with Decap Attack, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Flicky, and Sonic Spinball .

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Sega Ages will bring Sega Rally, Daytona, Scud Race, Outrunners, Outrun 2, and many many more to the switch, in fact I thought I read somewhere that they got a few of those games running on the Switch already. Laugh at me

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Now tell me how many Shinobi games were also released during that period? Golden Axe? Super GT? Daytona USA? Outrun related anything? Virtua Cop? Panzer Dragoon? Skies of Arcadia? Virtua Fighter? House of the Dead? Burning Rangers? NiGHTs? Jet Set Radio?
Most of those games on that list would flop, and we both know it. Even the new Nights game that released on Wii didn't move the needle.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Sega's reluctantancy to re-release anything that is not Sonic or Genesis related is because they are terrified of poor sales. Sega doesn't want to put money down on anything they don't deem super profitable.

While Sonic Forces was critically panned, you can tell it was well funded compared to the re-release of Panzer Dragoon, which quite honestly should look way better than what was released and was definitely underfunded by Sega.

Look at Sega Heroes, Sega milked it dry with constant sales, broken progression and horrible "deals" in which they expect you to pay $60 for ONE character that's not even maxed out.

Sega's back catelog is amazing, but until they start shopping around for developers to take on these franchises (cause Sega isn't going to do it in-house, they don't have the talent or structure to do that anymore) then those franchises are going to stay dead.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It's very sad but unfortunately it's not exclusive to sega. This is basically the same for all the big pubs and devs that excisted back in the 90's early 2000's.
The gaming industry has gotten too big. It's all about the big money now and doing quirky and lesser known ip's is way too risky when you want the billions, so everybody is only sticking to known ip's.
Just look at Capcom, they're basically only making Resident Evil and Monster Hunter now and the occasional remaster.
I really miss the early 2000's era when there wasn't much of a different between games when it came to budgets.
You got so many weird and interesting games back then. Sure there were some bigger games too but it felt more balanced.
In a way gaming's rise in popularity has become it's biggest problem. So many bad trends come from this fact.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Ok, so we'll eliminate all of the other Sonic games just to satisfy a false narrative.

Are we really going to push a narrative that Sonic didn't get enough attention??
Yes, Sonic didn't get enough attention for most of the decade. They should've focused in their mascot more instead of leaving a 6 year gap between Generations and Forces.

I don't know where this narrative that SEGA only publishes Sonic comes from. They made as many Super Monkey Ball games this decade as they did mainline Sonic games.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sega during the Dreamcast days were basically the peak of gaming. For that brief period of time the killed it with their output.

They're still putting out hits, but they'll never be the hot hot fire they were in the year 2000.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
they actually have enough devs from their PC, arcade and mobile fields where they would relocate them to console development. It's what they did for the Dreamcast, throw all of their resources towards DC games.
Trading their PC IPs for console games would be a pretty bad trade for them. Total War and Football Manager are probably stronger franchises than many of those old IPs that would need to be resurrected

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Sonic didn't get enough attention for most of the decade. They should've focused in their mascot more instead of leaving a 6 year gap between Generations and Forces.

I don't know where this narrative that SEGA only publishes Sonic comes from. They made as many Super Monkey Ball games this decade as they did mainline Sonic games.

In the last ten years....

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 1
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2
Sonic Mania
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Team Sonic Racing

Not even counting mobile releases, which adds even more games, or Sonic/Mario Olympics which are published by Sega

Name another Sega franchise getting this level of attention.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tbh I really disagree with that for Sega to be "like they used to be", they have to make sequels to their big library of IP. Which.... isn't what Sega was. While they had their franchises, they made a lot of new original games as well. Games like Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers, NiGHTs, and Jet Set Radio wouldn't exist if they mainly focused on making sequels. This was especially true in the Dreamcast era, where Sega's output was incredibly varied and different. Even when they made sequels, they were radically different from their predecessors like with Sonic Adventure and Phantasy Star Online.

If Sega was like they were used to be, you likely wouldn't get a new Jet Set Radio. Or at least not in the way you'd think you want it. Jet Set Radio in particular was Sega trying to make something related to what pop culture was like at the time. If Sega made a new Jet Set Radio that's like the original two games, then the intent for its design would be entirely different than what they were trying to achieve with the original. Instead of trying to be current, it would be trying to appeal to nostalgia. And that wouldn't be like the Sega people are nostalgic for.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the last ten years....

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 1
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 2
Sonic Mania
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Team Sonic Racing

Not even counting mobile releases, which adds even more games, or Sonic/Mario Olympics which are published by Sega

Name another Sega franchise getting this level of attention.
The Yakuza games definitely have gotten that amount of attention, especially counting the games that only released in Japan. In the last ten years:

Yakuza 4
Yakuza: Black Panther
Yakuza Dead Souls
Yakuza: Black Panther 2
Yakuza 5
Yakuza Ishin
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (Yakuza spin-off)
Judgment (also Yakuza spin-off)
Yakuza 7

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i want all of Shining Force III, all Racing ports from the arcade but it's not going to happen. If it happens stuff will sell 5 copies and we never get the follow-up. They also stopped after the first Daytona remaster. That was a good revisit but people didn't buy it.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Most of those games on that list would flop, and we both know it. Even the new Nights game that released on Wii didn't move the needle.
Well...that "Nights Dream Wheel" copyright is still something we're waiting on, right?

I'd also love it if HOTD: Scarlet Dawn finally got a console port! ...Whenever Sega is done making money off of the arcade release, the slot game spin-off and the thrill ride (that's likely out of service) thanks to the Rona.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I've bought a bunch of games from the Sega Ages series on Switch (Fantasy Zone, Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Outrun, Thunder Force IV, Virtua Racing).
Seems the series is over soon which is sad because it misses so many arcade classic like Outrunners, Power Drift (stuck on Sega Ages for 3DS), Virtua Fighter (2), Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder, Sega Rally, Daytona USA (I'm not even counting the Model 3 games).
I hoped after the announcement of Virtua Racing that Sega was ready to release their nineties arcade games but it seem it won't be the case which sucks.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
While Sonic Forces was critically panned, you can tell it was well funded compared to the re-release of Panzer Dragoon, which quite honestly should look way better than what was released and was definitely underfunded by Sega.
Sega isn't funding the remakes of the Panzer Dragon games, nor Street of Rage 4.
Sega is just getting paid for the license by external companies that are developing and publishing those games.

It's shameful really.
At least something is better than nothing I guess.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Being a Sega fan since almost 30+ years ago is the biggest mistake I've ever made. It's like being a total heroine junkie but you only get a dose every 2 or 3 years.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Hard to choose between Sega & Konami for who's squandering an amazing back-catalogue of amazing IPs the most.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a bunch of games from the Sega Ages series on Switch (Fantasy Zone, Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy, Shinobi, Space Harrier, Outrun, Thunder Force IV, Virtua Racing).
Seems the series is over soon which is sad because it misses so many arcade classic like Outrunners, Power Drift (stuck on Sega Ages for 3DS), Virtua Fighter (2), Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder, Sega Rally, Daytona USA (I'm not even counting the Model 3 games).
I hope after the announcement of Virtua Racing that Sega was ready to release their nineties arcade games but it seem it won't be the case which sucks.

Also this was the biggest disappointment ever.

They began the Ages program for Switch with M2 saying "ey we have Naomi already running" but in the end the only really worthwhile thing to come of it has been VR.

I don't know man, I was expecting Outrunners, Revenge of Death Adder, Daytona and other Model 1/2/3/Naomi ports, not Sonic and Sonic 2 for the 9875435 time. They were the ones who set the bar that high with their own wording.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of SEGA are the Shinobi games from PS2 available on any collections?

No.

If you want any Sega stuff that isn't 8/16 bit collections (with the rare exceptions of Daytona PS3/360 and Virtua Racing on the Switch, and some Model 2 ports on the Yakuza games) emulation is the only path.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
In a more just world, PSO, PSP and traditional Phantasy Star would have all been things that could peacefully coexist with each other, and Phantasy Star would be a brand that truly stands to shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and other long-lived JRPG brands.

Alas, this is not that world. Hell, I'm still surprised Sega largely gave Capcom and Monster Hunter basically no competition on the 3DS, even as Capcom was focused on making sure that they were widening MH's reach.

Yes, LAWD.

I love M2, but them perpetually being stuck with releasing ports of Sonic 1+2 and the like is something that really hurts me, when I've just wanted them to move onto Sega's much maligned arcade line-up.

Huh? But they have done quite a few amazing arcade ports in the past year. Damn stellar ones in fact. Their port of Shinobi Arcade fixes the most fatal flaw of the original, they ported Virtua Racing with a lovely makeover, we're getting new gems and first-ever arcade perfect ports like G-LOC, Thunder Force AC, Columns II and Ichidant R, there's lots of arcade goodness going around and they are absolutely not focusing on done-to-death games. Literally the only games in the AGES line done to death are the obligatory Sonic duo and Fantasy Zone/Space Harrier.

Just because it isn't a big-name game, doesn't mean it isn't worth porting. That's the exact kind of mindset that led to 3DS Game Gear titles grinding to a halt because only the Sonic titles sold anything close to a damn, and the 3D Classics ended up doing way better, but were a lot more safe with choices save for Power Drift, Galaxy Force II and Thunder Blade, which ended up doing well due to the fact that they came with cool 3D effects and a bunch of bonus features. Yet we still never got FINAL STAGE in the States which still saddens me to this day as it had arcade perfect Alien Syndrome going for it.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Tbh I really disagree with that for Sega to be "like they used to be", they have to make sequels to their big library of IP. Which.... isn't what Sega was. While they had their franchises, they made a lot of new original games as well. Games like Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers, NiGHTs, and Jet Set Radio wouldn't exist if they mainly focused on making sequels. This was especially true in the Dreamcast era, where Sega's output was incredibly varied and different. Even when they made sequels, they were radically different from their predecessors like with Sonic Adventure and Phantasy Star Online.

If Sega was like they were used to be, you likely wouldn't get a new Jet Set Radio. Or at least not in the way you'd think you want it. Jet Set Radio in particular was Sega trying to make something related to what pop culture was like at the time. If Sega made a new Jet Set Radio that's like the original two games, then the intent for its design would be entirely different than what they were trying to achieve with the original. Instead of trying to be current, it would be trying to appeal to nostalgia. And that wouldn't be like the Sega people are nostalgic for.

You have perfectly expressed my thoughts with your post. Peak Sega barely profited from its back catalog. That was one of its appeals, and differentiated it big time from Nintendo.

However, with the demise of Sega as a corporation (and loss of talent), and how the industry has generally evolved (with the demise of AA games), I think it's impossible for that Sega to return.

With that in mind, I think what we can realistically ask for is for them to port their back catalog for preservation sake. And I also really like their recent policy of letting foreign studios (which most of the times are passionate for their legacy) handle their IP.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
You have perfectly expressed my thoughts with your post. Peak Sega barely profited from its back catalog. That was one of its appeals, and differentiated it big time from Nintendo.

However, with the demise of Sega as a corporation (and loss of talent), and how the industry has generally evolved (with the demise of AA games), I think it's impossible for that Sega to return.

With that in mind, I think what we can realistically ask for is for them to port their back catalog for preservation sake. And I also really like their recent policy of letting foreign studios (which most of the times are passionate for their legacy) handle their IP.

Sega has the talent and teams to do new IP.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, GG Shinobi is one of the best VC games on 3DS so it really sucks it didn't even sell well enough to bring the sequel. It was one of the cheapest games on the system, too.

Defenders of Oasis and Crystal Warriors Too. Soooo many fun games I tried out for the first time ever! IMO, Sega's GG/MS libraries are far more interesting than their Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast lineups, which are pretty boring in comparison. It's pretty criminal that neither the Wii or 3DS got many Master System or Game Gear titles... I was hoping that Sega Forever thing Sega Europe started would go into that since they promised SG1000 games and some SMS/GG stuff, but they've ONLY done genesis games and their old iOS titles. If anything, people should get after Forever for doing nothing obscure, rather than AGES, which has done tons of obscure, cool gems and needs to be supported. If GG Shinobi II gets an AGES release, or Royal Stone, then that would be a dream come true.

Overall, I think Sega's just fine. Their US/JP branches know what they're doing and they're focusing on the important franchises that matter and doing good with them, so I'm not really bothered. I just think they need to stop trying to evade all the 8-bit SMS/GG stuff instead of going in hardcore on Genesis-Dreamcast Nostalgia... They've greatly improved focusing on their arcade legacy so I just hope a similar outpour can happen for their 8-bit stuff.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Two of my absolute favorite franchises are Persona and Yakuza so I've been really content with them.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Sega doesn't have a console so they have no need to pump out games like that.

As a 3rd party publisher they can coast off their successful franchises and introduce a new IP or two once a generation. That's why it hurt so bad when Sega left the hardware industry because they didn't have the need to pump games out anymore since they had no hardware to sell.

Apr 21, 2018
No kidding. A new Space Channel 5! A remake of Panzer Dragoon! A sequel to Streets of Rage! A new Sakura Wars game officially brought West! Ports of long forgotten G-LOC and Herzog Zwei!

How on earth are people unhappy with Sega right now
It's just the usual vocal minority.(15%)
Overall, gamers have a good image of Sega or no opinion at all:
www.resetera.com

Have you liked SEGA's output this gen so far?

This generation is the first one where SEGA isn't focusing on Sonic at all. We got Forces, Mania and Lost World spread out in over 5 years, and they all clearly had a limited budget. On the contrary, franchises like Yakuza are in all-time highs right now, and they've published highly acclaimed...
See...

You forgot to mention Virtual On Collection, the new Chuchu Rocket (8/10 for the two first reviews), hidden gems like Yuyu Hakusho, Motor Raid via Megadrive mini and Yakuza games.

www.forbes.com

‘Virtual On Masterpiece’ Collection Is Coming To The PlayStation 4 This November

The rumors for this have turned out to be true, as we are getting all the major 'Virtual On' arcade games released for the PlayStation 4 this November.

kotaku.com

Yakuza's Arcades Are A Sly Way To Preserve Old Games

I played Yakuza Kiwami 2 this weekend and loved every second of it. Arcades are a big part of Yakuza’s gorgeous cityscapes, and their changing roster of old Sega game shows a different way of preserving classic games.

www.jeuxvideo.com

Test du jeu ChuChu Rocket! Universe sur iOS

Au début des années 2000, le jeu en ligne reste l’apanage du PC. À cette période, la Dreamcast est arrivée en Europe depuis seulement quelques mois et le service online de SEGA a pris du retard. Afin de fédérer les joueurs et de démocratiser les parties en ligne sur console, le constructeur...

Yup, Sega was forgetting its past in the last decade but since 2015 it's hard to deny they released a bunch of remasters, sequels, remakes through Sega Ages, mini consoles, "Best of Japan" PC label et cetera.

Sega just needs a better communication, Sega boys don't know half of their current outputs...

Apr 21, 2018
Two of my absolute favorite franchises are Persona and Yakuza so I've been really content with them.
Good news for you.

Sega is not only relying on Atlus strenght,
they are funding for them Studio Zero and working with them on a new IP for next gen consoles.

Like they did with Creative Assembly (pushing new directions like Alien Isolation), Sega is pushing Re Fantasy to make of it a Final Fantasy rival (lower sales but higher critics like Persona 5R)
personacentral.com

Sega: Atlus and Sega Seriously Working on New IP for Next Generation of Consoles - Persona Central

Dengeki PlayStation Vol. 681 includes an interview with Sega director Toshihiro Nagoshi about the importance of new IP and how it ties into Atlus.

"Atlus is in a phase where the company must create in a direction other than Persona and Shin Megami Tensei. Both Sega and Atlus are seriously working on new IP in anticipation of the new generation [of consoles]."

"Sega's selling point is its hidden colorful nature, where you don't know what we're going to throw at you next, or where it's going to land. Although sometimes it's a wild pitch (laughs). But if it goes well, then it heads right in a good direction. Right now I'm focusing on something new in order to make that happen, and I hope to be able to show it off soon."