• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
Yes, they are embarrassing to put it lightly.

I recently sold my RTX 3080 which is notorious for attracting scalpers. Retail price is just below 1k and auctions go as high up as 3k. I really wanted to counter this trend so I sold mine for 850 bucks, which made a lot of people message me about what a "fantastic bargain" it was. I just put up a price that felt reasonable, it wasn't supposed to be cheap or anything. It really put in perspective how shameless most sellers are in maximizing their profit. There's like 0 thought of giving another human being a pleasant experience.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had a spare PS5, you bet I'd ask the highest price people are willing to pay. Why would I throw money away? It's an entertainment product, not insulin. Scum of the earth lmao. đŸ˜‚ What OP seems to have a problem with are shady offers?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
They aren't providing any real value. They aren't anymore efficient than say Amazon, unless a cash transaction is required. And that shouldn't command such exorbitant premiums.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The websites are to blame as they allow anyone to buy them, some like Shopto restrict to one console per address etc, but most aren't doing enough to prevent bots/scalpers.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Scalpers are scum, and these bots make things worse than ever. I'd love to see retailers focus on putting product in their brick and mortar stores rather than their websites. At least give people a fair shot at getting these items.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As usual, two-faced fucks in droves defending scalping "because in the end it's the buyers' fault".
Victim blaming 101. Well done, you pieces of shit.

Scalpers perform something that is illegal in most countries and deserve appropriate punishment. Period.
Not the death penalty, but hefty fines.
Not one single of their "justifications" hold.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy from them. Consumers of luxury goods and experiences are as much the problem as scalpers. They are taking advantage of market inefficiencies.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they are embarrassing to put it lightly.

I recently sold my RTX 3080 which is notorious for attracting scalpers. Retail price is just below 1k and auctions go as high up as 3k. I really wanted to counter this trend so I sold mine for 850 bucks, which made a lot of people message me about what a "fantastic bargain" it was. I just put up a price that felt reasonable, it wasn't supposed to be cheap or anything. It really put in perspective how shameless most sellers are in maximizing their profit. There's like 0 thought of giving another human being a pleasant experience.
The 3k bids are fake. Nobody buys a 3080 for 3k.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As usual, two-faced fucks in droves defending scalping "because in the end it's the buyers' fault".
Victim blaming 101. Well done, you pieces of shit.

Scalpers perform something that is illegal in most countries and deserve appropriate punishment. Period.
Not the death penalty, but hefty fines.
Not one single of their "justifications" hold.
There are no victims here, why are some of you so dramatic over this? Show me where scalping of luxury goods is "illegal".

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
They do. They redistribute a product among those with a higher willingness to pay, instead of those who come first. Assuming you have the money to buy a PS5 but not the time to F5 at midnight, then the scalpers secures you a product.
That's only if you think people with more money deserve the right to purchase the product more so than people with less money.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
With Democrats now in power they could enforce regulations from ever reselling products that's marked higher than MSRP.

But I doubt anything will be done.

Cru Jones

Oct 28, 2017
That's only if you think people with more money deserve the right to purchase the product more so than people with less money.

Paying more to save time is pretty normal. Ever go to a theme park? Most have express passes that cost as much as the ticket. Ever go to a club? You can wait in line or slip the bouncer $20 to get in immediately. We are talking pretty standard stuff here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Man, it's crazy how lucky I got with a Walmart preorder on the day PS5 preorders went up. I'm still pretty grateful that I made it.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
Scum of the earth? Sometimes I wonder at the blessed and privileged lives guys in here live jeeze.

Cru Jones

Oct 28, 2017
With Democrats now in power they could enforce regulations from ever reselling products that's marked higher than MSRP.

But I doubt anything will be done.
I'd be pretty upset if my government wasted time and resources on such an unimportant non-issue. There is waaaaaay bigger fish to fry than trying to regulate and enforce the 30% markup on luxury goods by scalpers. If this was something like medicine or essential gear like PPE, then I'd 100% agree... but we're talking about PS5s.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
They do. They redistribute a product among those with a higher willingness to pay, instead of those who come first. Assuming you have the money to buy a PS5 but not the time to F5 at midnight, then the scalpers secures you a product.

In the academic sense they do on the surface. You can also make the case that it's rent seeking and inefficient.

jgminto

Oct 25, 2017
It's capitalism working as it's meant to, manufactured scarcity is the core of pretty much every major industry. Consider directing your frustrations towards the system if it really bothers you that much.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There are no victims here, why are some of you so dramatic over this? Show me where scalping of luxury goods is "illegal".

Scalping is illegal in most countries.
Scalpers commit a felony. Buyers are victims. So are all the people who would like to buy but can't. It is very simple.
You might not like the idea that you are a thief, but the fact is you are one.
Items are sold through retailers because it is the most convenient way for everyone to manage around their life schedule in order to get the items they want when they can.

You are exploiting a flaw in this system to leech off everyone else's back.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Much the same that poor people can't buy Ferraris, I don't care whether some poor kid gets a PS5 or not. It's irrelevant because the product is non-essential. A capitalist society gates luxury products and services behind a high cost of entry all the time. If you want a society where every product is available to everyone, then that's another discussion. Kill3r7 correctly points out that scalpers are taking advantage of a market inefficiency. What inefficiency is that? Well, PS5, Nvidia cards etc. are currenty being sold below equilibrium price, that means the demand (quite obviously) exceeds the supply. What does one do about that? Ideally, the supply is increased but that isn't happening quickly enough for the OP. The other method is to increase the price. The price customers are willing to pay for a PS5 or 3080 is well above the MSRP. So scalpers purchase consoles at MSRP and sell the product at the price people are willing to pay, check out arbitrage. What you guys are basically calling for is for the retailers to increase the price to what the scalpers are currently asking, thereby killing off scalpers since they can't make a profit from scalping any longer. Of course, you still end up paying the same price but I suppose you're less likely to get scammed in that case.

Just wait until the product is available for the price you are willing to pay.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Scalpers commit a felony. Buyers are victims. It is very simple.
Items are sold through retailers because it is the most convenient way for everyone to manage around their life schedule in order to get the items they want when they can.

You're straight up wrong.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
why would they? They get the money and move on!
It's very shortsighted view though. You sell other things if you have real customers, but you aren't selling anything else to scalpers.

Say I buy a CPU from Newegg, BestBuy, Amazon, etc... I might grab a cooler, some RAM, thermal paste, and more. That's a lot of additional sales. Scalper will only buy that CPU.

Say I want to buy a pair of sneakers from Nike or another store. Same thing, might get some socks or pants, etc...

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I love reselling things for a profit, get mad at the manufacture for not being able or or simply not wanting to meet demand.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Paying more to save time is pretty normal. Ever go to a theme park? Most have express passes that cost as much as the ticket. Ever go to a club? You can wait in line or slip the bouncer $20 to get in immediately. We are talking pretty standard stuff here.
Are you being purposefully obtuse?

The former is someone outside the eco-system taking away something by offering nothing in return, the latter is literally the provider responding to demand. Sony are free to charge $1,000 for PS5s during the first week or month if they wish to do so, but the thing here is they don't necessarily are in it to turn a profit on selling hardware. They are more interested in having as big of a userbase as possible, so overcharging or scalping isn't really helping in that endeavor.

Again, it's not helping anyone outside of the people with money. Feel free to regard that as a positive in your own mind, but don't pretend it's somehow beneficial for everyone or the eco-system as a whole.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
RobZombie.jpg

SCUM OF THE EARTH

COME ON

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I could never be angry at people trying to make some money just because someone might not be able to get an expensive consoled on the timing they want. It's not a good world out there.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely the strangest console launch period I've ever seen. There's hardly any exclusive software and supply/scalping issues are so bad that it's like the consoles never even came out.

As long as my PS4 Pro stays alive for at least another year, I'm fine with waiting until 2022. Especially if something resembling normal life resumes before then.

This is pretty much my take. There's nothing on the PS5 / XBox that makes me want to deal with the bullshit. And the poster who's talking about going through the hunting and shit to get them and turn around and sell 'em? I'd say fuck off, but it's a luxury game item, not facemasks or hand sanitizer. I can wait.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If people are willing to pay more than retail because they can't wait until restock, than its their problem. Nobody forced them too.

I got for myself a free 3090, 2x ps5 and a 3080 for a friend who was very thankful, just by buying and selling pre-orders.

Do i feel bad? Not in the slightest. I had the same chances of preordering like others and was more successful. I took a risk by spending a lot of money upfront and it paid off. I didn't force people to buy from me at a higher price.

It's the oldest financial game in the world of buying and selling with profit.
Yeah, I am sure you were just pre-ordering normally vs using bots to sell enough to cover for the above items or more. Anyways, yeah, this is scummy as hell, but ignore button will work.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, I could never be angry at people trying to make some money just because someone might not be able to get an expensive consoled on the timing they want. It's not a good world out there.
It's not just consoles, it's everything that even has a modicum of availability issues including computer parts , games, books, etc... That's what you all are missing.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's capitalism working as it's meant to, manufactured scarcity is the core of pretty much every major industry. Consider directing your frustrations towards the system if it really bothers you that much.

This isn't manufactured scarcity though, this is actual scarcity. Literally Sony and Microsoft can't make these fast enough to meet demand because of limitations on manufacturing. This is the time when fans are most rabid for a console. That would love to be able to produce and ship and sell more.

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017
this is the first time i am interested in a console (ps5) at release, because of the broad compatibility to ps4. My policy with ps2, ps3 and ps4 was to wait until the game library was decent and i didnt care for buying them for at least a year after release. It is very frustrating to not beeing able to purchase it. I refuse to go to a scaper even if i can afford it.
I very much expected to be able to buy it 1-2 months after release, but there is no end to shortages in seight. Was it this bad with the previous generations?

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't manufactured scarcity though, this is actual scarcity. Literally Sony and Microsoft can't make these fast enough to meet demand because of limitations on manufacturing. This is the time when fans are most rabid for a console. That would love to be able to produce and ship and sell more.

The amount of parents I saw that wanted to get a PS5 for their kids for the holidays and the amount of kids that wanted PS5s, but then ended settling for a Switch is huge because that's all that was available.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I snagged an XSX back in November, otherwise I'd be pretty annoyed not being able to snag a new console

who knows when I'll ever be able to grab a digital PS5

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't approve of scalping, making a bunch of impatient nerds wait a bit longer for a luxury electronic is about as low as stakes get.
This although scalping doesn't bother me at all unless it's something essential. So you don't get your electric toy box for a few months, you'll be alright.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
They are the kind of people i would get up a table of they sat down. It's more than just that they are trying to make a quick buck, but the impetus to abuse a market and make profit off of people who for all they know are equally as likely to be very well off, or the complete opposite, scrounging their savings to be part of something they enjoy. Especially in a fucking pandemic, with people depending on their hobbies for ways to feel any sense of normalcy they can get their hands on. They are the incarnation of the capitalist horror that abounds, the bedroom version of a CEO that jacks up prices because they can, the very crux of not giving a shit who you're taking advantage of.

God i despise people like that.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Scalpers commit a felony. Buyers are victims. So are all the people who would like to bug but can't. It is very simple.

Scalping is primary illegal in certain countries or states to protect consumers from counterfeit goods (ie used/claimed or counterfeit tickets) or from allowing proprietors to collude with resellers to drive up market prices. See https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/6496...-scalping-program-canadian-journalists-report

Cru Jones

Oct 28, 2017
Are you being purposefully obtuse?

The former is someone outside the eco-system taking away something by offering nothing in return, the latter is literally the provider responding to demand. Sony are free to charge $1,000 for PS5s during the first week or month if they wish to do so, but the thing here is they don't necessarily are in it to turn a profit on selling hardware. They are more interested in having as big of a userbase as possible, so overcharging or scalping isn't really helping in that endeavor.

Again, it's not helping anyone outside of the people with money. Feel free to regard that as a positive in your own mind, but don't pretend it's somehow beneficial for everyone or the eco-system as a whole.

What they are offering is a chance to get a PS5 without having to stay up until 2am F5ing a website.

Lets say scalpers didn't exist, you still wouldn't have a PS5 because they are in such high demand. Sony hasn't made enough to meet that demand.

The extra price some people choose to pay is for them to shorten their wait time while also not having to stay on top of the stock situation of every retailer.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Im biased, mainly because I had and sold 9 ps5s, 3 xboxes and like 4 or 5? 3080s.

All were purchased legit without bots.

It took "work" and planning to make it happen. The same amount of work and planning anyone else who really wanted the items that bad could have put in themselves.

Am I in the wrong ? Maybe, but why should lack of planning and investing time and resources be rewarded ? Many people sit back and expect things to be available when and how they want without accountability.

Its a messed up system, I know. But if scalpers can buy these items.....so can you.

In essence, no one complained about paying extra. The people who purchased off me where the type that did not want to invest any effort themselves and rather pick up and pay extra.
I mean at the end of the day, parasitic behavior takes work, it takes planning, and yes the system allows it. But others also have the right to formulate their own opinions about the placings of such behavior in our ecosystem.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're straight up lacking any kind of argument.
Firstly, whether something is illegal or not doesn't inform my view on whether something is morally permissable or not. Abortion is illegal in certain parts of the world. Secondly, you have to make the argument for why arbitraging a non-essential luxury product that will be available at MSRP down the line is immoral. I reject the notion that society has a moral obligation to distribute a non-essential entertainment product equitably to all social strata via legislation. Especially if by waiting everyone who can afford the $500 MSRP will get it at that price. It's just asinine.

Scalpers, landlords, billionaires. Online discourse is just bleh.