• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

23593.jpg
That was MY meme!

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I don't really mind them. Most of them are harmless fun from what I can tell.

Do they stifle meaningful conversation? Maybe. However, in the age of Twitter... what doesn't reduce a conversation down to a limited set of characters.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"Meme culture" as we know it is a collective reflection on the psychological forces that had already been present and influencing culture for thousands of years, albeit in a state of hyper-awareness. This new culture was driven by the rise of the internet, which allowed people to watch jokes and innocuous observations mutate into other forms in real-time, at an accelerated rate. Moreover, the ability to transform the collective culture shifted from an elite privilege, to one as readily available as a public PC at a local library. With this awesome power, a mere keystroke could provide the basis for cults, ignite widespread violence, or even shape the future of international politics. In this essay, I will explain how the 1998 anime Serial Experiments Lain

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, memes are idiot culture.

But it's 2019, we've all been living in idiot culture for a long time now. Get on board.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like how people will call any old image macro a "meme", disregarding the actual definition of meme. However, I guess you could say the intention of a "meme" is a meme in itself, the transferred understanding that such an image is meant to convey information, though that's far too broad of a meaning for a meme.

Its leads to a shitload of unfunny rubbish though, and clogs up internet discussion. I especially hate it when places like Reddit become 90% crap image macros when you just want to find a community for something where you can find plenty of in-depth discussions.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Tell us a joke funny man, like the old times. Gather around

Ironically enough, part of the reason I dislike memes so strongly is because I do stand-up, and have made friends with lots of very talented, funny, and good natured comics around the country who have had content stolen by these meme accounts, with little course of action because Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook have pretty poor systems in place to correct this kind of stuff.

I mean I know that's not at all what you suggested I do, but it felt like a good opportunity to explain my thoughts a little better.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you'd studied art history, you'd know about Dadaism, and memes are like a turbo-charged revival of that.

I absolutely love it.

Feb 16, 2018
I'm kind of with you OP, there are some good memes but damn are there a lot of bad ones. A lot of bland and unfunny stuff gets tossed around I don't really think they are that funny but I just move on. It seems like an attempt to be funny by people who aren't funny.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
While I don't like all of them and do think memes as a response to conversations can be tiresome, the evolution of certain memes into these full on, elaborate jokes is typically really fun to watch. Look at loss and where that's gone over the years. It's like its own artform. People have been doing a lot of fun stuff with baby Yoda too. I'll see some fairly easy jokes with it, but then one will show up that's just out there and make me laugh pretty hard.

It's like real-time evolution in the form of a joke, and yeah, that's a neat thing to be apart of.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Some memes are genuinely good, if you are on social media a lot some definitely appear way too much and get hammered into the ground.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It has certainly turned a lot of posters into unoriginal parrots, I'll agree with you there. It does sometimes feel as though you may as well be having a conversation with a bot.

Oct 27, 2017
Valid points but I always saw it as a natural extension of forum/message board culture where the first few replies are typically people trying to dunk on someone or derail the thread with some seemingly witty drive by post