• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 31, 2017
I fell out of love with Nintendo with the Wii. Same with Sony and the PS4*.

I miss poking at competitors and silly ads.

I miss mascot games and crude humor. I read up on the last Ratchet & Clank game(which I haven't played). Apparently a lot of personality was stripped out.

Humor has mutated from sarcasm and slapstick that could get mean to referencing movies and internet culture.

Everything feels so sterile and corporate. Like games are trying to attract the crowd that turns their noses up at videogames.

I like the Oscar bait stuff. I like the rated E games. But I do miss the 90s flavored stuff that appealed to teenagers and young adults. The stuff everyone claims they're so embarrassed to be seen playing by other people.

I think it all went downhill when Sega scaled back. They were childish, weird and I miss it so much.

Of course that's just one man's opinion.

*Skipped the Wii, got a refurb Wii U & a Pro. Finished 3 games total between the systems.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone made fun of the Kevin Butler commercials back in the day so I'm surprised we've gone full 180 on them.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't know if I'd go far as to say I miss it, but yeah, there is a lack of real personality to a lot of marketing nowadays for better or for worse. Everything is rather bland and safe, outside a few exceptions

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So you're talking marketing? I thought this was about game development because both have been on fire in the last 5 years.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
"Everything feels so sterile and corporate"

Friend, you just posted a bunch of advertisements.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They came to the realization that throwing shade at your competitors makes you look childish and petty. It's better now.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like Kevin Butler is kind of a leftover relic of what marketing was like in the 90's. It was alright but it didn't particularly do much for me. I guess at my age I prefer they just focus on the games themselves than some smarmy humor.

I like how slick Nintendo's marketing is these days. It's a little too clean and perfect, sure(near nobody is grouping for Switch play in a lounge area on top of a nice apartment building), but it's more or less to the point with the games they're advertising.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, some of the greatest games I've played have been from this generation on both Nintendo and Sony consoles. I kinda feel that way every generation though and I've been doing this since the Atari 2600 era. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree OP, games are bigger money these days and things are played much safer by the heavy hitters.

That said, this wasn't all that long ago.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I care about the games, not the ads.

Today games mostly seem safe and vanilla compared to PS1/2 era titles.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
So you're talking marketing? I thought this was about game development because both have been on fire in the last 5 years.
Both.

Not saying the games are bad(because I've yet to play a lot of them). But from what I've seen, I miss the personalities/presentation of what came before.

Just an example the cartoons Warner/Hanna Barberra were putting out in the 90s/early 2000s vs what Time Warner outs out now.

Not necessarily worse, but it absolutely tastes different.

Like God of War. I'm sure the new one is fine. But all the impressions I've read. They are going for different things, and the it almost comes off like an apology for making the previous trilogy.

And the previously mentioned R&C.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Seems you care more about marketing than games if you thinkg modern Nintendo is "sterile". Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Astral Chain, new Fire Emblem etc lack personality? Wut.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Lots of people wanna come in acting like they're above all the stuff they are talking about, but I am here to tell you, no matter who you are, no matter what you do, you will never be above PSP Squirrels.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I mean I did enjoy the Kevin Butler commercials, nothing wrong with poking a bit of fun at the competition. But we don't really need it nowadays.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
User Banned (permanent): use of homophobic slurs
commercials like that would be pretty cringe newfags
nowadays
what crude humored games did Nintendo make? i don't think they've changed in that sense. but i also dont think the humour you refer to is actually funny

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing can be a lot of fun without companies throwing shit at each other. Part of the reason Switch has been so fun is because of the marketing.

Case in point;

More of this please. Take me back to when developers were doing weird and unique adverts.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I do wish Sony made more games like they did during the PS1/PS2 gens. Nintendo though has been pretty consistent for me.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't talking about games
"I miss mascot games and crude humor. I read up on the last Ratchet & Clank game(which I haven't played). Apparently a lot of personality was stripped out.

Humor has mutated from sarcasm and slapstick that could get mean to referencing movies and internet culture.

Everything feels so sterile and corporate. Like games are trying to attract the crowd that turns their noses up at videogames."

Yes they are, in a way. And although I didn't articulate it well, my point is that games are still terrific despite this lack of crudeness, sarcasm, and mascot games. Times have changed, but I don't think that has made games less fun or enjoyable just because we lack Conker's BFD or console war commercials. I suppose that's a side effect of my age being in my mid-40s; that stuff was fun at the time when I was in my late-teens and twenties, but I don't hold onto it and let it affect how I feel about what we have now to enjoy.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marketing can be a lot of fun without companies throwing shit at each other. Part of the reason Switch has been so fun is because of the marketing.

Case in point;

More of this please. Take me back to when developers were doing weird and unique adverts.

I loved the whole tie around with Jump Up Super Star. I wish Nintendo did this more often, coming up with good catchy songs with dance numbers. Then build advertisements around it.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do miss weird Nintendo marketing yeah. They've changed for the better since then but I wonder if we'll ever see stuff like this again with Iwata's passing and Reggie's exit from NOA:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
In this current climate, it's not really a good time to do these unique advertisements. Until everything calms down, and everyone is content with the world turning normally, we can then go back to doing these weird advertisements.

I do miss weird Nintendo marketing yeah. They've changed for the better since then but I wonder if we'll ever see stuff like this again with Iwata's passing and Reggie's exit from NOA:

We won't be able to anymore. The new CEO doesn't like doing skits. :( You see this when we're viewing the Switch-era Nintendo Directs, contrasting from the Wii and Wii-U era Nintendo Directs.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"I miss mascot games and crude humor. I read up on the last Ratchet & Clank game(which I haven't played). Apparently a lot of personality was stripped out.

Everything feels so sterile and corporate. Like games are trying to attract the crowd that turns their noses up at videogames."

Yes they are, in a way. And although I didn't articulate it well, my point is that games are still terrific despite this lack of crudeness, sarcasm, and mascot games. Times have changed, but I don't think that has made games less fun or enjoyable just because we lack Conker's BFD or console war commercials. I suppose that's a side effect of my age being in my mid-40s; that stuff was fun at the time when I was in my late-teens and twenties, but I don't hold onto it and let it affect how I feel about what we have now to enjoy.

And it's not like those kinds of games don't exist, you're just going to find more of them from AA or indie developers.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think competition bashing ads serve much of a greater purpose anymore. I think Sega's had a positive effect in the 16-bit era because the console market in NA being dominated by just Nintendo wasn't healthy. Appealing to teens with edgy ads helped fix that. But today, there doesn't seem to be any danger of one console hogging the whole market to itself.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think competition bashing ads serve much of a greater purpose anymore. I think Sega's had a positive effect in the 16-bit era because the console market in NA being dominated by just Nintendo wasn't healthy. Appealing to teens with edgy ads helped fix that. But today, there doesn't seem to be any danger of one console hogging the whole market to itself.
This, really. Not to mention that there was a lot, and I mean a LOT of game advertising in the '90s and early '00s that was embarrassingly juvenile for no purpose and that doesn't really need a comeback in any form.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I take that trip down memory lane sometimes for old commercials and old ways we used to talk about games and enjoy them, I can get a good laugh, but it's pretty clear why we stopped doing things like that. It's not a good look today.

And besides, anything that shows too much personality just gets labeled "cringy" by places like this.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
I only care about the games not the marketing.

Think Nintendo's history speaks for itself and most seasoned gamers are already aware of Nintendo.

In fact Nintendo this generation has made me fall in love with video games again with an excellent selection of first party games and they still haven't ported over all the Wii U had to offer.

Oct 26, 2017
commercials like that would be pretty cringe newfags
nowadays
what crude humored games did Nintendo make? i don't think they've changed in that sense. but i also dont think the humour you refer to is actually funny

1) Youch at that typo!

2) Conker's Bad Fur Day, I suppose. And it's not crude, but Earthbound is definitely more off kilter/irreverent than many games of its era.

That being said, nah, I like the respectful relationships the companies have now. Only thing I miss is hoodie+sport coat J. Allard, TBH.

1278286-xbox_e3_kickobokp0.jpg

Good night, my sweet prince. :'(

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I completely disagree. Nintendo found a very clear and strong personality with the Switch. They know what they are, they now their audience and everyone easily understands the brand.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
And it's not like those kinds of games don't exist, you're just going to find more of them from AA or indie developers.

As much as I liked Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair, it really isn't the same getting these games from just indie devs. The effects of the lower budget can really be felt and most of them are usually 2D pixel art or 2D Metroidvanias. It isn't the same thing as having multiple trilogies of AAA 3D platformers on one console.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo are publishing many of the best games in their respective histories, but you fell out of love with both because the marketing isn't XXXtreme enough.

ok.