• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that one, chief. No Blu-ray drive in most PCs means AAA games would take more than 10 DVDs. And even then, a lot of PCs come with no optical drive at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I own a physical copy of GTA V on PC. Without any post-release updates, it's around 50GB. The physical edition is spread out across seven DVDs.

Do you really want to install a game over the course of several hours with the slow-ass read/write speeds of DVD, swapping out seven different DVDs over the course of the install? And when that's done, download all the patches anyway, since they're not included?
RDR2 in PS4 takes more than 30m to install :) from the 2 discs

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
We're fighting climate change. We really could do without discs being pressed, wrapped in plastic and shipped all over the world.

It's not that clear cut. Internet infrastructure is not carbon neutral and can make large downloads have a worse carbon footprint than a disc. Some data centers have been promised to be carbon neutral by certain dates or are now but that still isn't in 100% of locations and there is still infrastructure in between you and the carbon neutral locations as well.

Long story short a study was done in the UK several years ago that found it can be worse to download a 50GB game even after considering shipping, disposal, plastic waste etc. Here's some choice quotes
The estimated carbon emissions from downloading only fall definitively below that of BDs for games smaller than 1.3 GB.
result in lower emissions than downloads could shift either up‐ or downward over the next few years. Overall, the results appear to be broadly applicable to title games within the European Union (EU), and for larger‐than‐average sized games in the United States.
Keep in mind the exact metrics only exclusively apply to the UK and it has been 5 years since it was published so the infrastructure has improved especially with big players like Microsoft and Google but digital is not green.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Ah yes, back to the times when you had a one-use serial code where you would be screwed if you bought a new PC...or even if you had to replace your hard drive.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
We're fighting climate change. We really could do without discs being pressed, wrapped in plastic and shipped all over the world.
If you are serious about fighting climate change, there is nothing to celebrate about the huge growth of data centers due to demand replacing the distribution of discs and packaging. This is just a lazy way of making people feel better about a hobby that is a drain on the environment for mere pleasure. It's a narrative people want to believe because who doesn't want to believe that our wasteful hobby of digital dudes killing each other is being progressive and on the right track? But it isn't really, we're just redistributing the harm in a way that feels like it might be better on a superficial level, but in fact the ones who benefit most from digital distribution isn't the environment - it's the capitalist publishers who can spend less and charge more.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Wherever possible, buy games from GoG, itch.io, or the Humble Store when a DRM Free download is offered.

You can then back up your downloads to a hard drive, or—in theory—burn them to optical media.

Oct 25, 2017
If you are serious about fighting climate change, there is nothing to celebrate about the huge growth of data centers due to demand replacing the distribution of discs and packaging. This is just a lazy way of making people feel better about a hobby that is a drain on the environment for mere pleasure. It's a narrative people want to believe because who doesn't want to believe that our wasteful hobby of digital dudes killing each other is being progressive and on the right track? But it isn't really, we're just redistributing the harm in a way that feels like it might be better on a superficial level, but in fact the ones who benefit most from digital distribution isn't the environment - it's the capitalist publishers who can spend less and charge more.

I like to think I'm pretty serious about the environment (I don't drive a car, nor do I fly) and I always thought that digital downloads (I have green energy at home) was far less of a strain on the environment than shipping discs in plastic, but apparently it's not as clear-cut. But sure, not gaming at all would be better for the environment.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I had what, a 20 meg down speed for most of this generation?
I was digital from day 1. Had zero problems.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Good luck getting something like GTAV on disc - not even the console versions have the complete data for the game and still requires you to download data/patches

May 25, 2019
London
I don't care about discs, but I'd rather just buy each game directly from the publisher and download an executable. That way, people can pick and choose their launchers like GOG Galaxy 2.0 that act like unified platforms. I don't need social features in my launcher (Discord handles that) nor do I need streaming or achievements or anything else.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta love when you can't play your old PC game anymore because you don't know where the manual is so you can't answer the question "What's the 7th word in the 4th paragraph on page 43?"

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Long story short a study was done in the UK several years ago that found it can be worse to download a 50GB game even after considering shipping, disposal, plastic waste etc. Here's some choice quotes

Keep in mind the exact metrics only exclusively apply to the UK and it has been 5 years since it was published so the infrastructure has improved especially with big players like Microsoft and Google but digital is not green.

It's been a while since I read that article, but even the article itself had a lot of caveats like large countries like the US are drastically less efficient than the UK with physical distribution (in large part due to the size difference) and that the efficiency of digital distribution is increasing at an exponential rate so the values would be completely irrelevant in a year or two (on a 5 year article). Plus, they admitted that they were estimating a lot of the values. Not to mention that the vast majority of games are nowhere near 50GBs (and with SSDs becoming standardized on the next gen of consoles, there'll be a lot less duplication of game assets as an attempt to reduce load times).

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It's been a while since I read that article, but even the article itself had a lot of caveats like large countries like the US are drastically less efficient than the UK with physical distribution (in large part due to the size difference) and that the efficiency of digital distribution is increasing at an exponential rate so the values would be completely irrelevant in a year or two (on a 5 year article). Plus, they admitted that they were estimating a lot of the values. Not to mention that the vast majority of games are nowhere near 50GBs (and with SSDs becoming standardized on the next gen of consoles, there'll be a lot less duplication of game assets as an attempt to reduce load times).

All correct statements but digital is still not green as many think it is.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
When I was a kid my dog got ahold of my Smash Melee disk.

That was a sad day.

Now days I don't even have a disk drive on my PC.

Everything I play is downloaded, even on Switch. I'm 22 now I've spent a lot of my life using Steam as a store front and buying digitally. I guess I just got used to it when I was in my early teens.

Oct 28, 2017
PC games on discs? that's so ancient.

What we need is PC games on READ ONLY SSD's, where the license of the game copy is on the SSD with some sort of protection.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks OP. This is part of why widespread internet access should be a priority everywhere

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus fucking christ god no.
Digital stores have their issues but those days were no fun.
Having to keep switching disks for different games.
Having to visit weird ass sites to download patches...
Not having an actual community within the PC store ecosystem like the Steam community.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer physical for consoles, but with PC I could never go back. I still have an optical dive in my PC, but I'm all in on digital now. Steam helped revitalize my interest in PC gaming tbh. The option for physical is great, but it doesn't really make sense for PC anymore. Like others pointed out, you're talking about 10+ dvds for installation in some cases...at that point I really don't see any benefit aside from internet data caps.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Physical games on PC were cool when you owned something between 5 and 20 games.
Now many people own 1000+ games and having that as physical editions would be a nightmare.

Going back to physical would also mean going back to the old patch system:
Hey, has anyone seen the patch to go from v1.0.1.2. to v1.0.1.6? I can't use the latest one because thats from 1.0.1.5 to 1.0.1.6 and 1.0.1.0 to 1.0.1.6 doesn't work

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Once everything is digital I'll be sad. Files aren't a collection

WjNFAnf.jpg

So wait, are you saying my game collection is imaginary?

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
I'm 100% digital both on console and PC. Fuck all that useless clutter and plastic.

Also, it's only like x10000 times more convenient.

Oct 31, 2017
It's not that clear cut. Internet infrastructure is not carbon neutral and can make large downloads have a worse carbon footprint than a disc
Man, I hate this sort of misleading, disingenuous crap.
It's like when people tell you that "even manufacturing wind turbines and solar panels pollutes". Sure, it's true, but it's an entirely different order of magnitude than coal over lifetime.

What's worse, these sort of articles always skew the numbers in the most dishonest possible way.
The environmental impact of a download is literally its energetic cost. How much it "pollutes" is strictly related to how the energy sustaining a server farm is produced, how long the PC/console will be turned on, etc.
You have to juggle shit in the most creative way to make it figure as more wasteful than the industrial process of printing, writing and distributing physical supports that also DO NOT satisfy on their own the necessity to STILL have servers and online infrastructures for plenty of other uses.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Man, I hate this sort of misleading, disingenuous crap.
It's like when people tell you that "even manufacturing wind turbines and solar panels pollutes". Sure, it's true, but it's an entirely different order of magnitude than coal over lifetime.

What's worse, these sort of articles always skew the numbers in the most dishonest possible way.
The environmental impact of a download is literally its energetic cost. How much it "pollutes" is strictly related to how the energy sustaining a server farm is produced, how long the PC/console will be turned on, etc.
You have to juggle shit in the most creative way to make it figure as more wasteful than the industrial process of printing, writing and distributing physical supports that also DO NOT satisfy on their own the necessity to STILL have servers and online infrastructures for plenty of other uses.

It's not a random article trying to make some political point it's a neutral scientific study the entire paper is available for anyone to look over if you want the exact numbers used for every metric of the analysis including the carbon footprint of printing, shipping, and plastic waste.

I even went out my way to point out the potential pitfalls of the study, it's geographic limitations, and point out that things have improved since it was published.

Edit: And for the record I'm heavily for wind turbines and solar and have been just as upset when I see the stupid, combative, fake information used to try to fight its adoption.

Last edited:

Pyro Iguana

Dec 27, 2017
Coming from latin america, no digital storefronts means no games less than $80, that have to be "imported" throught some sketchy ppl, also making them much less popular due to the extra hassle. So thank god for digital and the irrelevance of phisical media.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, "the internet" is a way bigger polluter than most people imagine. There's no need to juggle those stats to make them sound bad.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember the good old days of multiple discs for one game and only having limited number of activations per key. Then having all those games cluttering my living space. Fuck the good old days.

Infrastructure is to blame and hopefully things get better for people in the near future. Going back to physical media definitely isn't going to happen.

Companies that put arbitrary caps on their services should at the very least have their greedy executives removed from their positions and replaced with people who want to help progress

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I will probably never go back to PC games. Buying digital just isn't for me.