• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I feel you OP with my 1mb/s internet but expecting disks to make a comeback is not realistic.
I build my first gaming PC without a built in optical drive recently and I had to leave it on for like 2 days to download a single AAA game. I'm thinking about setting up a backup drive for all my game installation data to smooth out my OS reinstalls.
fun fact, DVD read speed is officially rate at 1.3MB/S, so your internet is not even all that slower than installing from Disks.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of small indie titles on Steam, going back to physical media would suck for them.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly prefer discs, but they aren't coming back. I usually get older and retro games on discs when I find a nice sale.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's funny. It's gotten so bad that many pc cases don't even have disc drive slots anymore. When I bought a new case this year my choices were surprisingly limited.

Idk why people bring up GTA V. Ofc installing new games off fricking DVDs when consoles are already enjoying BDs is ass backwards as hell lol

Dec 1, 2017
That sucks OP. Hopefully game sizes will be reduced next gen when they don't need to duplicate game data to make it load faster on consoles thanks to SSDs.

When it comes to "simple" plug and play games, I guess the Switch is the closest it gets to buying a physical cartridge, plugging it in and loading the game instantly.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
My god, I could hardly imagine having to insert a different disk/cartridge whenever I wanted to play a different game. I've been all digital for more than 7 years now and I could never go back.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Lol if something is available digitally I'll buy it digital. No more discs for me ever again, especially with how faulty disc drives can be, and with the waste of space that discs are. I don't want to have my video games on display at all.
They aren't your video games, since you dont actually own them.

Oct 31, 2017
My god, I could hardly imagine having to insert a different disk/cartridge whenever I wanted to play a different game.
The mere idea genuinely annoys me.
But even talking just about "installed" titles, the idea of having to track down a physical copy somewhere any time I'd want to reinstall any of the 1000+ titles in my library irritates me to no end.

I bought this PC six years ago, I deliberately chose to not put an optic drive in it, thinking that I could work around the issue if ever needed.
Guess what? I didn't miss that absence once.
Not even a quick, sporadic "Oh well, i need to work around this". I literally forgot physical discs were a thing and I was happier for it.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Having jumped back into older PC gaming, I must admit that I'm really enjoying the full big box experience and installing from disc.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Good lord how quickly we forget (or maybe OP is young) the insane amounts of hoops we had to jump through with physical releases sometimes. It was very rarely "put the disc in and install", especially if the game was a few years old. Hell, a ton of the old games simply won't work because of authentication to servers or incompatability with newer systems. Thank god for digital stores!

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not sure if I have a working optical disk reader in my home, except maybe a stored old laptop in the attic. It became an issue when I wanted to rip the CD OST from Life is Strange lol.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Having jumped back into older PC gaming, I must admit that I'm really enjoying the full big box experience and installing from disc.

I have a few PC big boxes around, but not many. But I do still have many older games in CD ROM and DVD formats in jewel cases or those DVD style boxes. The big PC boxes were awesome to me. I remember when they used to be more of a necessity, when a PC game would require like 6 floppy discs, and the discs would take up most of the room. I remember playing Willy Beamish on the Tandy 1000 PC, and it had like 6 or 8 floppy discs. The box was fairly weighty because of it.

But, with CD's the boxes became lighter and more empty. Unless the game came on multiple CD's. But sometimes publishers would include bonuses in the box, like giant manuals, compendium style books, art books, or a walk through, or a mini figurine. Max Payne came with a really nice cloth mouse pad. It was great when publishers would include surprise things to fill up the empty boxes. But there were times, when you would just get a big box game made out of flimsy cardboard with a single jewel case and a registry card, or an advertisement.

the problem is that with disc drives, I don;t think many prebuilt systems include them unless they are specified in a custom build package on their websites. Blu-Ray drives are still a nice thing to have. But PC publishers will never release anything on Blu-Ray. Couldn't a 64GB-128GB USB 2.0 thumbdrive just work well enough now?

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Discs take longer for me than downloading. With a gigabit connection it took me 19 minutes to download RDR2 on PC.
Big games tend to take around 2-4 hours to download on my connection but that's still going to be more convenient than having to stay at the computer to swap discs in and out as a game installs. USB sticks would be a more convenient alternative to discs these days for people wanting/needing physical medium, though much more costly to produce than discs even in mass I assume.

OP
OP
tekomandor

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nonono. I definitely don't miss the physical stuff.

I'm not sure I understand what the problem that you have with Steam is, tekomandor , can you elaborate?
Steam can occasionally forget that a game has been installed or that space has been allocated for a download if something unexpected happens during said download. This is basically fine when it takes 30 minutes to download a game, but not when it takes multiple days. Steam support is useless and written for people who can casually download a AAA game in the time it takes for them to go eat lunch.

Oct 31, 2017
Coming from a time where that was my daily routine, I "enjoyed" it so much that when I was given the chance I re-bought at a cheap price digital copies of my old physical games.
And no, I don't miss cross-checking versions and hunting down patches one single bit.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I want my games on cartridge like in the good old VIC20 days: pop cart in, turn on PC, BAM, in-game.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Steam/origin/whatever games on disc(s) are utterly useless. Not everyone on PC owns bluray drives so having 5+ DVDs releases seems ultra archaic. They aren't gonna make 2 skus with 1 bluray or multiple dvds (yes i know some did it during the cd/dvd transition era or straight up included both formats, but it was a different time).

The only physical releases i'd (and did) purchase are DRM free games. Rest is just a code and an installer, waste of time and ecologically irresponsible.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
My PC has no optical drive anymore....please no for PC games. I do wish that actual physical bought games had an cd and download code in there.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
fun fact, DVD read speed is officially rate at 1.3MB/S, so your internet is not even all that slower than installing from Disks.
One megabit (Mb) is 1/8th of 1 megabyte (MB) ;)
Were you not around during the Megabits wars for megadrive/snes and neogeo ? xxMegs goodness.
Bluray read speeds for an x6 is 216Mb/s or 27MB/s... so yeah that internet speed is quite far from disks whatever angle you take.

I also download at 1Megabit averaged on a day (equivalent to a dual channel ISDN). It's much faster to use a phone to download in fact, but connection breaks/slows down and if the quality degrade to less than 4G+ the bitrate degrades in a few minutes because of datacap throttling.

I long for BDXL300 discs to happen (300Giga Bytes disks) but given that day one patches are almost mandatory on PC, i don't see it happening either.
On consoles however, i hope discs will still be a thing.

Last edited:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a disc drive on my PC since 2010 or so. Haha. Would be bad for me if physical games somehow became a thing.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I've got Witcher 3 and GTA V on disc, think these might be my last.

RDR2 would be a bit much though unless it was bluray discs and that isn't going to happen.

The good fight might be getting good internet in your part of America, stopping these monopolies.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
lol no. I had to physically look at my tower just now to check if it actually had a DVD drive or not. I don't know as if I've ever used it.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Steam can occasionally forget that a game has been installed or that space has been allocated for a download if something unexpected happens during said download. This is basically fine when it takes 30 minutes to download a game, but not when it takes multiple days. Steam support is useless and written for people who can casually download a AAA game in the time it takes for them to go eat lunch.
I know I had a similar problem before (don't know what fixed it to be honest), but if a game that I knew was downloaded showed up as not installed, try restarting Steam, if you haven't tried that already.

iJul@1502

Oct 28, 2017
nope.. If I buy disc, my wife will asked my again when i buy that game .. as she had her own laptop, and my pc is my Home Office PC, exclusively for me, It save me from multiple question when I buying digital game..🤭🤭

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
sort of tangentally related, but floppy disks are dying en-mass. It's a medium that, probably in about 10-20 years time, will outright not exist anymore. The vast majority of my floppies have already died.

For that purpose, technologies like the gotek floppy drive emulators are god sends. Preforms invisibly to the host machine like a floppy drive, but reads floppy disk images from a USB drive.

At least CD-Roms and such will still be around for a while longer. Floppy disks are going to outright become extinct.

Meanwhile, cassette tapes keep on trucking. The most reliable, long-term storage medium.

Floppy disk will love on as "Save" icon.

Or is it not a thing anymore ? Lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I used to own some big multi-disc pack of Half-Life games when I was a teenager. Half-Life, the expansions, Team Fortress etc. About six discs in a big DVD case.

My dog ate it. Literally. Ripped it all to tiny bits.

Owned all of those games on Steam for, what, 10 years or so at this point and haven't lost them yet.

Physical can get in the bin.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The only problems I've had with Steam over the past several years in terms of flow from installing to playing games daily - is related to product in testing that is not released.

Steam has been pretty fucking flawless for installing, playing, updating etc, and I'm in the beta client.

Plenty of things for Steam to improve upon, but we hold it to a much higher standard in consideration of how immensely far ahead they are, and how it is being used as a primary PC games platform.

GOG has been good except for poor updating vs other platforms, poor curation policies from time to time and their beta client Galaxy is too resource heavy at the moment. But game installation and playing is no problem.

Can't say much good about EGS, Bethnet and Xbox Store/Gamepass, which have consistently been problematic

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i think i would be seriously tempted to give up pc gaming if it went back to discs.

i really don't like physical media. the sooner consoles ditch it the better. they should do what PC done years ago and go all digital.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this much, it's not Bonus DLC or pre-order bonuses that make me buy games full-price but if PC games would come on microSD cards for physical storage along with a beautiful box, artwork and a full-colored extensive manual like they used to I would be easily willing to pay 70€+ for a game day one.

Make it so the SD-cards are double the size of the game and then via a special program you can unlock writes on the SD temporarily and integrate any future patches on it too.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Coming from a time where that was my daily routine, I "enjoyed" it so much that when I was given the chance I re-bought at a cheap price digital copies of my old physical games.
And no, I don't miss cross-checking versions and hunting down patches one single bit.
Oh, well, if it was actually a routine then I get that. I'm just saying that I enjoy installing games from disc as opposed to using Steam.

i really don't like physical media. the sooner consoles ditch it the better. they should do what PC done years ago and go all digital.
Oh so you don't think we should have a choice or the option to own our games huh? I've said it before - I'd give up modern games entirely if digital were the ONLY option.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
After Steam has yet again forgotten gigabytes of data, forcing me to spend ages fixing its dumbass bullshit, I've come to the realisation that at least for me, these digital stores are just worse in every way than buying a game on a disc, installing it, and not having it connected to a temperamental and opaque piece of software. It would probably be faster (even counting delivery times of an amazon equivalent) than downloading modern games off steam too, even assuming I only have to download them once instead of twice.

I'm sure it works great for you people with nine billion zetabit fibre connections, but digital games have never been anything but slow, annoying, and temperamental to me.

as long as you're talking about floppy disk era. Having to put cds or dvds in the tray for DRM check was shit.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like buying digital nowadays. Don't need to worry about losing or scratching discs, it takes a lot less space obviously, and honestly, I don't miss those days where I had to use 4-5 discs to install one game like WoW, Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004. I still have those discs somewhere. I know it's not like that anymore, but still.