• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So here I am playing KC:D and I have a quest to get a ring off a dead convict's finger. I start asking the executioner about it and the prompt "get straight to the point" pops up. Here I am thinking oh ok, well I don't wanna lie so I'll just tell the truth and that I need a ring to pay back a debt and if he gets mad at me so be it.

My bumblefuck of a main character INSTEAD asks the executioner if he has the ring and the executioner gets mad because I accused him of grave robbing and then starts punching me :/

I assume they do this to avoid being redundant and to help people who don't want to read a lot but good god I hate it

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Literally one of the worst things any rpg can do, btw that's hilarious that he just started punching the crap outta you. I remember having to dig for it myself.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's a game where the dialog isn't voiced for the main character, I don't even pay attention to the line. I'll glance at it, infer the tone it's going for, and simply pick it. If that results in my character getting punched in the face, then they just get punched in the face and the NPC gets murdered.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
So here I am playing KC:D and I have a quest to get a ring off a dead convict's finger. I start asking the executioner about it and the prompt "get straight to the point" pops up. Here I am thinking oh ok, well I don't wanna lie so I'll just tell the truth and that I need a ring to pay back a debt and if he gets mad at me so be it.

My bumblefuck of a main character INSTEAD asks the executioner if he has the ring and the executioner gets mad because I accused him of grave robbing and then starts punching me :/

I assume they do this to avoid being redundant and to help people who don't want to read a lot but good god I hate it
Yeah. That's one of the factors that led me to just install a save game mod for KC:D.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of the save game restriction because interesting things can happen when you play through consequences but like... I didn't even want to do what I did.
I agree, but for me, it was a mix of that and just glitches that got me stuck. Happened one too many times.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The example that comes to mind is Telltale Batman where the game is literally only about the dialogue choices, and even then this shit happens! At least it's not game breaking and sometimes amusing.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Fallout 4

Good thing this mod is a thing

Isn't that mod what revealed that one certain discussion was just the same option copied and pasted four times with different descriptions? Great shit!

Yes, this is bad and drives me crazy. I know if it's an entire paragraph you can't put it all in there, but maybe start including the way it's going to be conveyed. Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect: Andromeda had this going on and it worked pretty well from what I can remember.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Monkey Island series is great about giving you exactly what you want when you choose a dialogue option.

Oh man when Guybrush introduces himself as "Hearty Beef and Potato" just as I hoped for lmao

Nov 2, 2017
There was an choice like this in The Witcher 3. You choose to "push" someone aside but instead the moment goes way differently. Ends up being really funny though.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Most insane version of this I ever came across was in Vampyr. For context, this is the love interests daughter. The option is simply "be very careful".

(Ignore the dumb meme music and stuff. It was the only isolated clip of the moment I could find).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The Monkey Island series is great about giving you exactly what you want when you choose a dialogue option.

Most games are
Its mostly Bethesda, Bioware and Telltale that have cryptic options for some reason

I had just watched this video that popped up on recommendations so this thread is oddly scary to me

I don't know the channel before anyone tell me the guy is a puppy killing nazi. Hopefully he isn't.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Most insane version of this I ever came across was in Vampyr. For context, this is the love interests daughter. The option is simply "be very careful".

(Ignore the dumb meme music and stuff. It was the only isolated clip of the moment I could find).

I was also thinking Vampyr, but I was thinking the moment when "Charm" an important NPC meant "Turn them into a husk of a human being such that they are more zombie than human and all fabric of society around them falls to ruin due to their plot relevance."

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

LOL, I picked this on a replay, I actually thought it sounded vaguely threatening (in a "be very careful what you wish for..." kind of sense) and I was curious to see what he'd say, and then he said this and I was like "whoaaaaaaa". The ending of that line is nice though.

I love that game.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance I take it

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Yeah, that was one of the main reasons I stopped playing Fallout 4, as I got it on PS4 first, with L.A Noire that also an issue as when I selected doubt I wasn't expecting the protagonist to accuse the person of being a fucking liar. The other reason for me stopping Fallout 4 is that the main quest story looks way too predictable for me to do it.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't usually have a problem with this. Context clues in the dialogue are usually pretty apparent.

Unfortunately, the OP contains zero context clues for what "KC:D" stands for.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
There was an choice like this in The Witcher 3. You choose to "push" someone aside but instead the moment goes way differently. Ends up being really funny though.
Yeah, I'm replaying Witcher 3 and there's definitely times I wish they'd spell out the choice options a little more.

I made a choice like "Shit up" and it ended up ending the whole conversation and making it a fight which basically ended the quest early.
(it was the Vampire serial killer quest).

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike dialog trees and Press X for Doubt gameplay. Just show me the story you want to tell; you're wasting my time if I'm making the "wrong" choice (and I'll always think I'm making the wrong one).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't usually have a problem with this. Context clues in the dialogue are usually pretty apparent.

Unless you're psychic there's no way [sarcasm] is pretty apparent, specially because many of the times you're not even being sarcastic or funny but downright aggressive.
Or the example in the video i posted above where "(sigh)" turns into a full blown rant

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Fully agree. Pissed me off so much in telltale games where the written choice is harmless but then the dialogue has your character rip everyone's assholes so they all hate you and "remember that."

flyingsaucer

Feb 28, 2020
Witcher 3 had two bad ones, I'm glad I chose neither. One is the one you mentioned, and the other is
"Stopping" Keira or whatever it said which ends with you killing her. I would definitely not be happy with that outcome

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it's a development thing that lets the game writers polish the writing of their interface a little without needing to call the VAs back in to record new lines. It's okay as long as the writing is still tonally similar to your choice, but it does suck when your character acts totally differently from what you expected.