• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black bars

• Hate it

• Love it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 27, 2017
Serious question: when they started making widescreen TVs, why didn't they use the theatrical ratio so that it would be uniform? Why go with 16:9 instead?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Should we tell OP that you can even have different aspect ratios in the same movie if the director wanted so ?
IIRC Galaxy Quest has 3 different aspect ratios and the way they're used is awesome.

Serious question: when they started making widescreen TVs, why didn't they use the theatrical ratio so that it would be uniform? Why go with 16:9 instead?
Because there isn't a single "theatrical ratio".

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
And also because the majority of tv content then was 4:3, so people would rage about bars even harder if it were wider than 16:9.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't feel the need for ultra wide aspect ratios... like in games where it's more dynamic and you can compensate by adjusting the FOV, I think 16:9 or even 16:10 are wide enough...

but for the most part the "black bars" are normally the only decent way of playing mismatched aspect ratio from the content and your screen, the alternatives are far worse (cropping or the worst possible, stretching the frames)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you learned something today OP.

If not, just use whatever zoom-in options your TV has lol.
Because at the time there was still plenty of 4:3 content on TV. Do you have any idea how awkward that would look on such a wide-ass screen? 16:9 is an appropriate compromise between all the major aspect ratios. BTW movies shot in 1.85:1 don't actually perfect fit in 16:9 TVs either, you'll see a small amount of black bars, unless the movie is (slightly) cropped.

I love black bars but I've still got an LCD so some backlight bleed is creeping in.

Need OLED for that black bar purity.
I think everyone can agree LCDs do a piss-poor job with black bars, they're more like dark grey bars, and with HDR you may even see considerable blooming apparently. But it's good enough I guess.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
aqua man was in fullscreen and it was very weird.
Aquaman changes between aspect ratios actually.

18404_2.jpg

18404_10.jpg

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I always zoom my movies. I paid for all these pixels, why wouldn't I use them?

Similarly, I always watch everything with motion-smoothing on. I paid for all these frames, what am I going to do, only use 24/60ths of them each second? That's leaving frames on the table, buddy. Next thing you'll be telling me I shouldn't max out the Contrast and Sharpness sliders, lol.

Don't even get me started on subtitles. I'm not trying to read a book over here. I'll wait for the Netflix adaptation, thank you very much.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
If my 64 year old mother can live with different aspect ratios, anyone can. Can't believe that people still complain about this. 16:9 is, for me, the best middle ground when it comes to displaying the widest variety of content with minimal use of bars.
black-bars-aspect-ratio-16-9-21-9-4-3-cinemawide.png

'My whole screen isn't being used' is so unimportant compared to the original aspect ratio being preserved, it's not even funny. Just a staggeringly pointless issue, imo.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Only time it annoys me is the handful of old ass DVDs I have that are 4:3 widescreen films. So on a modern TV you end up with the picture in a box in the middle of the screen.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine this is a generational thing, used to hate the top and bottom bars until I understood the point but sd screen were blurry enough it was a problem. In the world of hd I don't see a problem

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
makes me wonder how old OP is.

I was genuinely annoyed by this too when i was a young lad and then i found out about OAR.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a love or hate it thing, it's about respecting the artistic intent. You want more movie that connect with you? Let artists do their thing. Someone of them are fine with fitting their work into different aspect ratios, but no one should tell them they have to do that.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The day cinemas die will be glorious just to have 16:9 movies be more common. Not sure why everyone in here is having a meltdown at the OP for wanting films to be filmed in 16:9. Nothing is being cropped if it was 16:9 in the first place people.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The day cinemas die will be glorious just to have 16:9 movies be more common. Not sure why everyone in here is having a meltdown at the OP for wanting films to be filmed in 16:9. Nothing is being cropped if it was 16:9 in the first place people.
Do you understand today there are films shot in both 2.35:1 and 1.85:1? It's an aesthetic choice, it has nothing to do with movie theaters.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Misunderstanding ratios is like having issues with that shape matching toy. The one with the star, the square, and the circle shapes that you have to fit into the corresponding holes :)

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Do you understand today there are films shot in both 2.35:1 and 1.85:1? It's an aesthetic choice, it has nothing to do with movie theaters.
The majority being 2.35:1 is a pretty good indication it has a lot to do with theatres. Isn't 1.85:1 a thing due to IMAX? Not to mention almost all video content made for TV's is 16:9 or close, it's just theatrical releases that have this problem.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I was very hopeful that OLED displays would bring a return of ultra-wide 21:9 TVs (technically 43:18) but that hasn't happened yet.
Because I also hate black bars around movies.

Well, to be specific, I hate letterboxing. Pillarboxing is a non-issue.
Letterboxing screws everything up because it makes the image smaller.

Our perception of image size is largely based on its height.
So when you start watching a letterboxed movie on your TV, you now have to sit closer to get the same experience.
An OLED TV with perfectly black letterboxing in a dark room does not fix that.

I put this image together a while ago when discussing ultra-wide gaming, but I think it illustrates the point quite well:
aspect-ratiosp2rhu.gif

Pillarboxing does not distract like letterboxing does.

That's pretty good.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
The majority being 2.35:1 is a pretty good indication it has a lot to do with theatres. Isn't 1.85:1 a thing due to IMAX? Not to mention almost all video content made for TV's is 16:9 or close, it's just theatrical releases that have this problem.

Shooting in 2.35:1 is an indication of wanting more information on the sides.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So your argument is cinemas should die so an aspect ratio chosen for such films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator 2, High and Low, There Will Be Blood and w million of movies shouldn't exist?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these showbiz elites with their liberal hollywood bank accounts don't wanna take up my whole TV that i paid good money for

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
With a TV that can do true black, I don't even notice them anymore. I mean I always preferred the correct aspect ratio, but the 'not actually black' nature of the bars used to bother me a tiny bit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is all false. Unless the only thing you watch in movie theaters are blockbusters.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it ever occur to anybody that the black bars are actually part of the image and that the artists and filmmakers Involved shoot the movie with that in mind? And the constant quest to get rid of them is actually going against the idea of having a proper home theater experience that replicates the original experience the filmmakers intended?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
My 70 year old father also hates black bars, and it drives me nuts and I gave up after the 100th time trying to describe aspect ratio to him.