• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black bars

• Hate it

• Love it

Results are only viewable after voting.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I think nobody is asking for this shit. People want directors shoot new movies on 16:9 to watch them without black bars.
Old movies always should be unaltered.

OP is asking for this.

The big money in movie making is still in the cinema box office. Unless that changes they're going to keep targeting that primarily and not the small portion of people who can't live with a couple of bars around the video.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, takes me back to watching 2.39:1 VHS on a 15" 4:3 tv for that 'genuine cinematic experience'

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
It's better than cutting out half the film. I remember how Jaw's autopsy scene looked confusing to me when I was younger because it was edited to fit the screen and was missing important images.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Always preserve the original aspect ratio. Always.

But more people are watching films at home than ever before. Artistic vision comes first, but for your "popcorn movies" it would be nice to see a shift toward shooting in 1.78:1.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Grand Budapest Hotel would give OP an aneurysm.
haha i can't imagine watching a really old film yawn fest like that?!!

i only watch cool films like Avengers which has the greatest acting and action ever
it's so well shot, the angles are really flat so i know what's happening at all times

looks sick on my iphone too

at least old films like the Dark Knight have colour and sound! I can't imagine the unbearable torture of a film that didn't have either lol!

/s

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm getting tired of it not filling the screen too I might just start to stretch stuff.
d93e1124-10e4-4010-bfjj1h.jpeg

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd rather more directors start shooting in 16:9, since these films are going to live far longer on people's TVs than they will for the couple of months that they're in the theater.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
You just took me back to when I was 16, working at Best Buy, and 1/3 of customers would ask for a DVDs "without those black bars cutting off the picture". Obviously they'd ignore me and Randy telling them that letterbox actually provides the complete picture, and FS crops things out. Randy would even try to give them a visual using the box and his hands, to no avail. Good times.

Shout out to Randy.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I wouldn't say it bothers me, but it also would be nice if there was a way to preserve the full image without needing the bars.

I was watching Joker recently, and was a bit taken back with surprise how it had taken up my entire screen. It was rather nice and I wish other films did it. But again, not at the cost of butchered content

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's not 4:3 pan and scan I'm not even watching the movie.
Give me full image and fake pans or nothing

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Should we tell OP that you can even have different aspect ratios in the same movie if the director wanted so ?

It happens also in TV shows sometimes, like Season 4 of the Expanse who use different ratios for scenes that take place in the solar system and those who are not. So he'd get black bars half an episode.

I'm firmly on the give me those black bars please camp. The other day, i stumbled on a Buffy rebroadcast on TV and those maniacs cropped the images so there would not be black bars on the side. Heresy !

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd rather more directors start shooting in 16:9, since these films are going to live far longer on people's TVs than they will for the couple of months that they're in the theater.
I don't think there is a single director on the planet that cares more about how a film appears on television than how it appears in theaters.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is a single director on the planet that cares more about how a film appears on television than how it appears in theaters.

With the rise of streaming service original movies, there definitely are.

Personally, this is one of my main motivations for wanting an OLED TV. Then I can ignore the black bars in a pitch black room.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of one standard is annoying. It would be nice to buy a wide screen TV and all media to have been recorded on whatever that aspect ratio was. Obviously going from 4:3 to wide there's no way around bars, though.
There are valid cinematography reasons to have different aspect ratios though

Maybe you were watching Tombstone on a DVD designed for the old square TVs (4:3) used before widescreen TVs (16:9) became the norm. Or the DVD you used had the widescreen movie on it, but it was still designed for square TVs, so not only did you get the black bars you'd normally seen on the square TV but also the ones normally seen on widescreen TVs too.
That's the only time I've ever come across it in video. I used to intentionally windowbox old games if it meant preserving an n*native resolution though

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
People preaching the purity of video but watch dubbed content, lol.

Why would I care about the purity of a language I don't speak if there is nothing lost in translation? Also people are defending widescreen because the alternative is worse, not because they don't want it to fill their screens.

And what happens if people start getting larger screens like we are with phones and computer monitors? People will be stuck with a smaller aspect ratio for no reason.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair to OP, there are probably a lot of people who don't realise why things are the way they are, and why there are 3 different aspect ratios.
They literally want every pixel on the TV to be filled. Which is fair enough! If you have a smaller TV I suppose I could see why that is an issue.

www.youtube.com

Video Aspect Ratio Explained – How Different Aspect Ratios Affect Your Video Style

Aspect Ratios can be tricky at first but there are a few main ones (16:9, 21:9, & 4:3) to know of and how using them will affect the style of your videos. T...

Last edited:

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I love black bars but I've still got an LCD so some backlight bleed is creeping in.

Need OLED for that black bar purity.