• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black bars

• Hate it

• Love it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
VTih4CI.png

Black bars AND in black and white? Amateur hour, smh.

Oct 27, 2017
OK, what about TV shows like Parks and Rec. They look pretty awesome, which aspect ratio is that?
because all tv's are a set aspect ratio, 16:9, most tv shows opt to maintain that standard. but not all tv is uniform. some shows will definitely play with aspect ratio. The Wire specifically chose 4:3 on purpose. The Expanse used wider aspect ratio on some scenes over others as well.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that bothers me the most these days is stuff getting produced for netflix/any streaming in 2:1. it's only marginally wider than 16:9 so you're not really gaining anything except a vauge sense of "cinematicness"

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK but what aspect ratio is The Dark Knight?
IMAX ratio is different than a traditional film ratio. Very few movies are shot with IMAX cameras so why would they use an IMAX ratio? FIlms are shot in an aspect ratio for traditional theater screens.

You are asking for films to either:
1. Be filmed in a Television Show aspect ratio which makes no sense as films are made to be seen on a theater screen primarily.
or
2. All movies be shot in an IMAX ratio despite the fact 99.9% of movies are not filmed with IMAX cameras.

I hope you are understanding what you are asking for doesn't make any sense.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that is full screen on my 📺

anything can be "full screen" on any display, if you chop off enough of the image, which is what is happening with the dark knight. It's not "full screen," it's a taller aspect ratio than your screen, so they chop off the tops and bottoms. Alternatively, they could keep the frame, but it'd be pillar boxed, i.e. black bars on the sides. There is no way for the imax version of TDK to fill your tv screen without them either cutting off some of the image or adding black bars unless they stretch it to make everyone look fat.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
99% of things I watch are in 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm very used to pillar boxing.
I like watching 4:3 on my Sony PVM in 480i if possible (and usually it's not). It's fun to watch stuff in a period-accurate way.

It's why I still prefer DVDs of old standard def shows when I can get my hands on them.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some scenes in TDK were shot for IMAX, which is either 16:9 or close to it. That's why some scenes will fill up your TV. Though I don't know if it was the case for all scenes in the movie.
What I can't comprehend is....why does Sid think movies should be filmed for an IMAX aspect ratio when 99.9% of movies are not shown on IMAX screens?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some scenes in TDK were shot for IMAX, which is either 16:9 or close to it. That's why some scenes will fill up your TV. Though I don't know if it was the case for all scenes in the movie.

IMAX is taller than 16:9. If they were to display the full imax image on OP's television, it would look like this:

mShpooF.png

Instead they cut it off the top and bottom, to avoid pillar boxing. What he is describing as "full screen" is them omitting parts of the image.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
My phone (Xperia 1) is the 2.39:1 ratio (21:9 to be precise), but I've barely utilised the screen fully and I recently installed the latest version of YouTube Vanced which allows you to utilise the full screen space.

Even on such a small screen, that ratio is objectively better, even with videos that weren't designed for it. Whereas the opposite (2.39:1 videos on 16:9 screens) isn't as good.

It's such a small thing, but it's converted me towards wanting 2.39:1 TVs and Monitors to be a thing. It's so so much more immersive.

With the way things are currently, we compromise films to fit 16:9 TVs and television broadcasts are 16:9 so aren't affected.

However I'd rather have it the other way around. I'd rather be able to watch films at their native ratio and compromise TV content to fit a 2.39:1 TV.

I used to as a kid but they don't bother me anymore.
Yes same. When I was a kid I was obsessed with stretching the image to fit. What an ignorant young fool I was haha. Now I'm obsessed with original ratio, the black bars give me comfort in these uncertain times. :P

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I will never understand the issue some people have with pillar and letterboxing.

it is literally there to preserve the film's full image. Cropping to fit an arbitrary screen size is as sacrilegious an turning on motion interpolation.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of one standard is annoying. It would be nice to buy a wide screen TV and all media to have been recorded on whatever that aspect ratio was. Obviously going from 4:3 to wide there's no way around bars, though.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of one standard is annoying. It would be nice to buy a wide screen TV and all media to have been recorded on whatever that aspect ratio was. Obviously going from 4:3 to wide there's no way around bars, though.

Everything used to be one standard, with movie theaters and TVs having the same shape screen. But to prevent TV from completely destroying the movie theater business, they came up with the concept of widescreens to make watching movies in theaters a very different experience from watching them at home.