• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black bars

• Hate it

• Love it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I mean WTF is this shit, half of my screen is covered with this black crap when I can enjoy the full screen view like in some movies.

Oct 30, 2017
the black bars let you see more of the image, not less.

your TV is not the same shape as widescreen film.

OP
OP
Sid

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I mean there are other movies shot in a full screen aspect ratio too

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. It means it's being presented in the original and correct aspect ratio.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand stretched or zoomed pictures. Watch any 4:3 sports highlight that is cropped to 16:9 and notice how the ball is always out of the shot on jumpshots in basketball or passes in football. It's terrible.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't mind black bars, but i am not a smart man so someone tell me what's up with those movies that are just tiny boxes on screen?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are asking for them to cut out part of the picture so it fills the screen. You're asking for less video.

You can do this yourself in virtually any modern media player application by applying your own crop if you want. There is a reason most people don't do this, though.

OP
OP
Sid

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
You are asking for them to cut out part of the picture so it fills the screen. You're asking for less video.

You can do this yourself in virtually any modern media player application by applying your own crop if you want. There is a reason most people don't do this, though.
No I am asking them to be fullscreen like HD movies in 2007-10

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
VTih4CI.png

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
well, i recently watched tombstone on dvd and the movie was in a tiny box in the middle of the screen. i have a bunch of dvds that do this.

Maybe you were watching Tombstone on a DVD designed for the old square TVs (4:3) used before widescreen TVs (16:9) became the norm. Or the DVD you used had the widescreen movie on it, but it was still designed for square TVs, so not only did you get the black bars you'd normally seen on the square TV but also the ones normally seen on widescreen TVs too.

OK, what about TV shows like Parks and Rec. They look pretty awesome, which aspect ratio is that?

Thats a modern TV show, so it was made for modern 16:9 screens. The shape will match the shape of your screen, so no black bars.

Oct 27, 2017
aspect ratio is an artistic choice but you have full control over what your movie viewing experience looks like so just set the tv to crop the image and be done with it