• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I've never stopped a car for going through a yellow. Mostly as long as it's pretty close when it turns red, it's fine. If you hit that white line when it turns red, I'm ok with that. Wouldn't make a fuss over it unless someone else was endangered; which usually isn't the case.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Umm, you shouldn't be on the road if you don't understand the road rules.

Something like this would be ideal, but the assholes treating the roads like race tracks mean we can't have nice things:

traffic-light-progress-bar-500x371.jpg

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Thought this thread was going to be about Green Arrow Left Turns and incredibly short timers for the amount of traffic.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Something like this would be ideal, but the assholes treating the roads like race tracks mean we can't have nice things:

Is this a countdown to green? I use crosswalk timers for that.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Yellow means stop - with the only exception being if you are coming in too fast and would have to make a sudden break, in that case you continue on. It's super easy to understand.. no wonder usa is the one first world country where traffic fatalities are increasing.

Yellow does not mean that it's ok to continue if you can "make it".

Last edited:

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
The yellow light is the warning. I've never understood why some countries blink the green light as well, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the yellow?

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Just picture this.

Imagine that you are traveling in a moderate speed street... Let's say 40 mph. You could see from a far far distance the blinking green lights. That way you can stop accelerating from a very far distance.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Is that not common? Some intersections in my country have counters.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I agree that just the yellow light for warning isnt adequate. Mainly because red light cameras exist. Red light cameras should not exist if theres no secondary warning signal since very car they flash entered the intersection on a yellow.

In my city you have to look at the pedestrian light as a warning signal. Ie. If the walk countdown is at 10 then you know the light will be green for awhile. If it's at 1 then prepare for a yellow.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

That's because your yellow light is too short that you need the three green blinking lights. Just accept that once it turns yellow, that's your warning and to treat it as the beginning of your blinking green light. The blinking green is redundant. There's no real need for it when you treat the yellow in that fashion.

You're not selling anyone on it other than you're not driving safely in the US.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that just the yellow light for warning isnt adequate. Mainly because red light cameras exist. Red light cameras should not exist if theres no secondary warning signal since very car they flash entered the intersection on a yellow.

Red light cameras don't work like that. They take a picture the instant it turns red. If you're already in the intersection at the time, you're fine. It's when you're not in the intersection that you get hit with the ticket. Being in the intersection when it turns red is okay, as long as you were in it when it was yellow.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Given that many red lights /green lights here activate based on traffic, that would be hard to implement. The length they stay red is variable.

When it works right it does make things a lot smoother.

They do have those sorts of timed lights in the US, but for pedestrians in downtown areas, where the time you can walk/not walk is given.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Red light cameras don't work like that. They take a picture the instant it turns red. If you're already in the intersection at the time, you're fine. It's when you're not in the intersection that you get hit with the ticket. Being in the intersection when it turns red is okay, as long as you were in it when it was yellow.
And now people are speeding so they can enter the intersection on a yellow.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Some of the long lights here in Bangkok have countdown timers. Its.... kinda depressing to see you've got 3-4 minutes to wait on a red. But also, kinda nice.

Lo-Fi

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

How do these timers work with ambulances? Since ambulances can turn nearby lights red.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
They are absolute nightmares in Chicago.
There is a particular light on touhy that always causes a blocked intersection because one intersection goes green while the next intersection literally 40 feet down the road stays red. Its miserable. Driving around the city makes me a nervous wreck, sometimes even more so than in LA thanks to all the pothole dodging you have to do.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having driven all over the world the traffic lights in America are not the best, I would agree. I think the problem is they start turning to the warning stage when you are too far away from them, so if you are travelling at speed you either have to floor it or slam on the breaks, which is especially hairy on fast roads.

It always makes for an interesting few weeks after you hand the hire car back to see if you received any tickets during your rental!

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
We already do though. Some traffic lights have pre emptive flashing yellow lights to warn you the light ahead will turn yellow. Those work fine dont they?
Someone speeding through is doing it because they don't want to wait through a light cycle. Changing how that is indicated won't change them not wanting to wait.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
the only actually useful thing I learned in driver's ed was this:

The white lane separator lines leading up to a lighted intersection are actually guides to whether you're likely make the light if it turns yellow while you're heading for it. If you're within the lines and going the speed limit (or above) you'll make it. If you're still behind the point where the lines begin, you should stop.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
They wont need to speed, because they have 7 seconds.
they already don't need to, 3 seconds is more than enough time to stop after a light turns yellow when you are more than a couple hundred feet back, unless you are already speeding. and if you are less than a couple hundred feet from the light there is more than enough time to cross the intersection safely. y'all are creating a problem where there isn't one.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many Americans in this thread know what a flashing yellow or flashing red light means lol...tbh that's even more scary to me. That there will be an issue with a traffic light and I'll get T-boned cause some noob doesn't know the rules

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
they already don't need to, 3 seconds is more than enough time to stop after a light turns yellow when you are more than a couple hundred feet back, unless you are already speeding. and if you are less than a couple hundred feet from the light there is more than enough time to cross the intersection safely. y'all are creating a problem where there isn't one.
So you're telling me when you come up to the intersections with the countdown pedestrian lights you never look at them to gauge when the light will turn yellow?
Yeah. Ok.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many Americans in this thread know what a flashing yellow or flashing red light means lol...tbh that's even more scary to me. That there will be an issue with a traffic light and I'll get T-boned cause some noob doesn't know the rules
God. When traffic lights are down because of power outages is when the real fuck-os come out.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
When we come to your country, we'll find out and adapt. And we expect you to do the same when you come here if you plan to drive. It's not that hard.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
So you're telling me when you come up to the intersections with the countdown pedestrian lights you never look at them to gauge when the light will turn yellow?
Yeah. Ok.
What are you even talking about?

The point I'm making is extra indicators in addition to the yellow light really won't do anything. Like if you add another indicator before the yellow light people will still speed up in order to beat the light. The yellow light isn't the problem, the mentality of the average driver is the problem.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of the ones i notice people never know what to do is when traffics lights go out. so many people will just sit there waiting on others to make a move.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
[/QUOTE]
What are you even talking about?

The point I'm making is extra indicators in addition to the yellow light really won't do anything. Like if you add another indicator before the yellow light people will still speed up in order to beat the light. The yellow light isn't the problem, the mentality of the average driver is the problem.
People see the pedestrian lights with countdown timers in some intersections. Drivers dont see that and think 'I got 8 seconds left time to go into warp speed.' Most people will agree the extra warning is appreciated.