• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You can see where it needs to improve and it's still brilliant.

Jdubs

Dec 4, 2018
It's so cool! One glitch lately. Seems like when I quick resume any game my vizio doesn't kick into HDR mode. So I have to quit the game and re-start.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely something I want on PC. Would love to keep Stardew easily accessible when playing other things.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Quick resume is one of those features that sounds dumb or not impressive till you actually try it. BOOM! it is amazeballs.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Like I said in my post, the difference is that the SSD (and the faster CPUs) is fast enough to allow it. The 360 era, or the XOne era, just couldn't do it on hardware alone.

You're the only one that says I'm invalidating it. What I'm answering in the post you quoted is that it's not a new technology software wise, it has existed for a loooooong time. The difference is just that the Xbox Series is able to do it fast enough to make it seem instantaneous, which is awesome.

Because we see so many people just come into threads and poopoo stuff like this it's sort of an auto response. Sorry didn't mean to assume for you.

Oct 29, 2017
Quick resume is one of those features that sounds dumb or not impressive till you actually try it. BOOM! it is amazeballs.

I've even seen it in this thread-- Folks seem to initially think, Doesn't the Xbox One already let you suspend and resume a game? This is just the same thing but with more than one game.

I think some people just need to see it in action before it sinks in that going from resuming one game to switching between multiple games is a sea change in how you use the console.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
More info here.

Not trying to argue, but comparing this to Windows 98 functionality is seriously underplaying what's happening.

www.tomsguide.com

How to use Xbox Series X Quick Resume

Here's how to use one of the best features of the Xbox Series X and Series S

This is not trivial tech. Also, this is the reason why it may be buggy in some instances.
Thanks, I'll take a read. I wasn't trying to underplay it though, I just thought it worked the same way. It's one of my favourite things about my Series S.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It is similar to what the Switch does, just with multiple games
It's the ability to quickly jump back into games. OP was saying he assumed it was just like what the Switch had. From my understand it functions the same, it just allows multiple games to be suspended and resumed
Xbox One and PS4 have the same thing as Switch since their launch back in 2013 too.

Granted, in my experience the Switch is a little more reliable than the Xbox One and PS4 in being able to resume my games, since it asks me before installing updates.

But yeah, Quick Resume is incredible, and so far beyond anything the Switch, Xbox One, or PS4/PS5 do. I love it.

zf69

Jan 25, 2021
earth
I mean this is hibernation, which has existed since Windows 98 lol

The only real difference is that because of the enormous speed of the SSD, it's really really fast to reload it.
Windows never really had a stable, user friendly way to suspend individual programs though

after seeing this, it really should, considering plenty of people have desktops that outperform the series x in the ways they need to do stuff like this anyhow

Definitely something I want on PC. Would love to keep Stardew easily accessible when playing other things.
i'm pretty sure that has a light enough footprint that you could just leave it open the normal way and play other games

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally is the type of system level innovation that is so reminiscent of MS during 360 era. It's a game changer and will be s staple part of console gaming. Riots will break out if future consoles don't include it.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely my favourite feature. The fact it still works even after powering it off completely still amazes me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love it.

It's only the 2nd "suspend" type feature I've ever used on a console -- the first being the Switch.

The suspend options on PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, and Xbox One X seemed to all have pretty crappy caveats when I tried them -- sometimes game performance suffered from resuming from suspend, sometimes games would crash upon resume, games restarting and throwing away your progress because it needs to reset online connection, etc. Quick Resume presently and seemingly being curated to just games where issues are a lot less likely to happen is the big difference in the experience so far.

I presently only use it with one game at a time and close my other games if I decide to Quick Resume another -- I do save progress before I commit to Quick Resume but I still get paranoid about accidentally closing my other Quick Resumed games since management of Quick Resume games doesn't really exist yet.

Plus, I can use Quick Resume even during power off which makes it usable to me as someone who has turned off Instant On for the power savings. That's awesome.

Jan 11, 2020

The only real difference is that because of the enormous speed of the SSD, it's really really fast to reload it.
Oh wow, then why cant my ps5 do it?

On topic;
Yes its great - when it works. A LOT of games i play have "always online" so it really does not do much for me :(

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Strange comparison. No Windows 98 box was able to load up 4-10 AAA games simultaneously and let you smoothly switch between them. Lol, shit back then if I tried to just alt tab from Half Life to the desktop it would crash half the time.

I guess you meant hibernate the system with running apps in the sense that it suspended the system to disc and then restored to RAM? Ok, sort of, but there was certainly no app by app state suspension in Win98.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Also its super weird that people are trying to downplay this 🙃

We all know why people would want to downplay the feature here...

Quick Resume is the exact same paradigm for managing the state of your recently played games as what your smartphone does for recently opened apps and what your smartphone browser does for open tabs.

But if you took that feature from smartphones and made every smartphone app start from scratch everyone (including the people downplaying quick resume) would be livid.

The feature works in smartphones because you never need to think about it and with a little improvement from its already good base it'll be as indispensable on the console.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
It's super convenient when it works, but don't trust it over saving a game. I have gone to Yakuza a couple times and it's launched into the main menu, despite not playing anything else since. Just a warning.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've not used and probably never will. Things load quick enough and I don't trust it not to have something over heat and fail.
Series X. I wouldn't leave my OneX in rest mode either.
Uh...QR works whether the system is in rest mode or not. You can use it to switch between games without shutting down the system. It also has nothing to do with rest mode. It will work when you turn it off FULLY and unplug it. It's not going to cause overheating or anything of the sort. There's literally no reason to not use it unless it causes some weird issue like the AC Valhalla thing.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Quick Resume is great but it's only partly done and is broken. Without being able to lock in a game to quick resume you can lose it, and your progress if you play too many(Size wise) other games

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering why I never see the logo, then I realized destiny 2 just doesn't support it (due to online connection). Would have been nice to be able to quick resume to the start screen though (yes I am that impatient)

as many have said, being able to see the queue, or even lock items, would be cool

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like it. I'm old. I want my console to wake up with me. It feels like I'm being forced into something I'm not ready for.

Please know I'm joking

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
It's great with JFO until the game logs you out next time load it and you lose progress...
Yeah, it's amazing, but be careful with Jedi Fallen Order. I've lost progress because the game decided to log me out back to the title screen after being resumed. Not every game plays nice all the time.
Huh, thanks for the heads up! But I've been playing JFO for a few weeks now and haven't had ANY problems with quick resume yet... Fingers crossed, I guess?
Yeah, depending on the game, it can be a lot of games. I recently decided it was time to finally play Ori and the Will of the Wisps last week, and it immediately quick resumed into the game from when I tried it back on fucking release day when I got the console. I played countless of games since. The console has been unplugged since. The OS has been updated. It didn't care, Ori was there waiting for me.
Yeah, I've had similar moments before. One time a friend and I needed to kill some time and decided to hop on Moving Out and I was astonished that it loaded up instantly, and EXACTLY where we left off.

Also, enjoy Ori. Will of the Wisps is now one of my favorite games ever. That ending.....

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty amazing for me, since with a full time job and kids I'm limited in freetime and just popping on assassin's creed and running around makes me play it more then sitting through load screens like I would on the previous systems. It did lose an hour of progress once on assassin's creed, but it seems one off since that usually autosaves frequently as well

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool feature on paper but in practice I've had a lot of issues with it. So many games use online hooks so quick resume on stuff like Apex just breaks for a bit until it kicks and relogs, games can seemingly switch the feature on and off so it isn't consistent, and there's no way to know if a game is holding a quick resume state or getting booted off of it. This makes it really sketchy to just stop playing a game at some random point, you want to atleast save/reach some spot where the app closing won't impact you.

The online stuff can't really be helped but they need to work on the UI language to properly communicate the rest.

I lost power the other week and I will say it is cool as hell to see the console boot from that and still hold the state of everything.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's been kind of a pain for some of the games I played recently. Yakuza Like a dragon would run into some funky issues(one where I lost some progress because the game froze likely due to QR, One where ther was an abnormally long loading time from cutscene to gameplay and other similar related issues). Cold war doesn't stay in 120fps mode unless I go to the menu and then go back, Modern Warfare takes damn near a minute to reconnect online it feels like afterward. I do hope (for the games that don't play too nice with quick resume in my experience) that they let you turn it off for some games.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I thought Quick Resume was just your concole and game booting up faster and continuing your game from where you left of similar to Nintendo Switch, i thought it was a fancier way of describing a faster Rest Mode.
Boy, was i wrong. Today as i was testing my XSX with installing a shit ton of Gamepass games, i hit the Xbox button, clicked the Jedi Fallen Order while Gears 5 was on and the Quick Resume logo appeared on the top right part of the screen. I was like, "Wait a minute, is this what i think it is?".

Jedi Fallen Order just continued from where i left it yesterday. Whoah. Then i returned back to Gears 5 and, voila, it JUST LAUNCHES ISTRAIGHT INTO THE GAME IN 3 SECONDS!

I created a thread about the killer app of Next-Gen. Now that is something i call Next-Gen. Cool stuff.
I agree, got a Series X like 2 weeks ago and I love this feature. Your games are basically always on, and while booting games up from the start screen is not that big of a hassle, its nice to be able to jump back into Ori in like 10 seconds.

Jun 15, 2020
I'm still not convinced of it's usefulness to be honest. First of all, the main benefit of such function is to skip long loading screens which shouldn't really be an issue moving forward. In addition, most people routines involve altering between a single player and an online game played with friends. But wouldn't most if not all online games (which tend to have minimal loading and splash screens) log you out and force you to connect again either way?
Have you used it?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I love this feature and use it daily. My daughter and I tend to play different games then the ones I play after tucking her in. So being able to quickly flip flop between games is so refreshing. Easily my favorite feature of this gen so far and looking forward to its improvements.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Love quick resume, it's basically what feels next gen to me. I can't do that on my PC.

Jun 15, 2020
Quick Resume is too unreliable in terms of losing progress and other stuff that i ever would use it.
You can still save your game...
I've not used and probably never will. Things load quick enough and I don't trust it not to have something over heat and fail.
So just save your game.

I'm baffled by these comments. Why are the only options "Leave it completely up to chance!" or "Shut it all the way off!" to many people. I'm confused. Save your game, then switch. You risk nothing.

Last edited:

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I love Quick Resume even with my habit of only playing one game at a time. Starting the Xbox and the game I'm playing takes a lot less time than my TV takes to even boot up

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's amazing when it works. I'll love it more when they iron it out a bit more so it works more consistently.

JRedCX

Nov 10, 2020
It's great but I mean it's basically what hibernation in Windows or any other operating system on PC does.

The difference is that use the high speed SSD but it's all software that we have been using for a long time.