• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
So the other night I had this bugged out dream in that I knew I was dreaming but then the strangest thing ever happened. Every one in the dream became aware that they only existed in my dream and started to ask questions about what happens when I wake up. And even though I was well aware that this was only a dream, I felt compelled to answer all these made up people's questions.

The one lady asked me "So do we exist only here or are we real people that you know when you wake?" I told her that even though I didnt know her, she could be a real person in the world I live in. Then a guy asked me was I sharing a dream with other people or something I'm not really sure. I felt "bad".

My question is: is there a TV show or movie like this that I could be recalling? Am I the Wind Fish?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations; you just murdered all those dream people when you woke up.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere, out there. A game developer, writer, and or filmmaker is reading this thread writing notes down.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have some crazy lucid dreams as well, OP. When I was younger it was much more frequent, but I literally had one the other night.

I often "wake up" in my dream and recognize the dream state sometimes talking to people about the dream. Less frequently I decide to just go for broke and make it some crazy dream.

Your dream is pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams are weird. Have any of you ever had someone tell you about their dream and it was nearly identical to the one you had?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So the other night I had this bugged out dream in that I knew I was dreaming but then the strangest thing ever happened. Every one in the dream became aware that they only existed in my dream and started to ask questions about what happens when I wake up. And even though I was well aware that this was only a dream, I felt compelled to answer all these made up people's questions.

The one lady asked me "So do we exist only here or are we real people that you know when you wake?" I told her that even though I didnt know her, she could be a real person in the world I live in. Then a guy asked me was I sharing a dream with other people or something I'm not really sure. I felt "bad".

My question is: is there a TV show or movie like this that I could be recalling? Am I the Wind Fish?

Congrats on your first lucid dream.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Very interesting and a little bit frightening, thanks for sharing.

I used to go lucid when I actually prepared for it and kept a journal, etc. but I don't think I've ever had control to a level when I could hold a conversation with dream figures.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I have lucid dreams from time to time but it can be weird and somewhat painful at times.

My mom died 14 years ago and i remember dreaming that we went shopping together and i was happy and having fun and i told her in my dream 'this is fun! Why dont we do this more' and i remember her looking at me sad and at that moment i became lucid and realised i was dreaming and said 'oh.. right' and then woke up shortly after.

It fucked me up for a good time and its one of the few dreams in my life i remember, that was like 12 years ago.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats on your first lucid dream.

Holy Shit no, ive had lucid dreans since i was a child. I used to be omnipotent in my dreams. Creations on command, flight, energy projections. I could fall asleep inside a dream just to see what would happen. I have had some adventures ( somethings may have been more than just dreams)

One time I had a "traveler" tell me that he was from far away but the only way his people could communicate with humans was though our dreams as their technology can't reach us though any other way. That shit stuck with me for a couple of days.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me of the hostile subconscious dream people in Inception, the heist team would interrogate the people in the dreams to extract secrets about the subjects life, the inspiration for that probably stemmed from a similar dream. What could you learn about someone by talking to the phantoms in their subconscious?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's very possible your brain created an individual consciousness for each of those "people", like how multiple personalities can exist in one person.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I used to have absolute nightmares from about age 7-9 where I couldn't wake up from dreams. I would 'wake up' into another dream over and over and these dreams would stretch out for what felt like days. I couldn't be convinced I was awake right away because I had dreams where I was convinced I was awake by my mom only for it to get really crazy half way through breakfast, or something. I was terrified to go to bed. These nightmares were hell. All sorts of cosmic horror shit that you couldn't even imagine, most of it forgotten now, thankfully. I was in therapy for the whole time until they just stopped. I haven't dreamed since, at least none that I can remember. I have the little dream things that kind of jolt you awake where you're falling or hitting a tree or whatever but I can't remember anything else. It's been blank sleep for decades.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of the hostile subconscious dream people in Inception, the heist team would interrogate the people in the dreams to extract secrets about the subjects life, the inspiration for that probably stemmed from a similar dream. What could you learn about someone by talking to the phantoms in their subconscious?

Specifically projections searching for the dreamer after the 'Mr. Charles' gambit.

I believe Christopher Nolan is a lucid dreamer which is how he drew inspiration for Inception.

I have had a few lucid dreams in my life.. usually they don't last long due to the natural urge to physically wake up from your brain getting too much stimulation. In some, I have had a bit of control over like changing the scene by walking through a door and picturing what is on the other side/flying etc... but never really had a chance to talk to any dream characters.... I mostly just explored the environment. I think it would be cool to talk with your own subconscious 'projections' and learn more about yourself.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, you're only existing in somebody else's dream right now. And those people in your dream have dreams where they create new people too. And when you die, you'll simply transition into inhabiting the reality you've made inside your unbound mind. The meaning of life is simply to become capable of creating your own reality. This is how consciousness propagates.

Come on, Era. Let's start a cult.

Oct 26, 2017
A common feature of my dreams is that if they're really good and something awesome is happening to me it suddenly dawns on me that it's a dream and I wake up purely because everything's so perfect, I realise that I must be dreaming.
Also, I can generally wake myself when they get too intense. A few months back I was having one of those dreams that just flit from random event to random event and the walls suddenly started closing in on me and I very vividly remember thinking "Time to wake up" 'cos that shit terrifies me.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Had a dream where I angrily struggled and broke out of sleep paralysis and ended up in a room with a computer that was simulating the universe.

Usually if I have sleep paralysis I wake up after relaxing for a bit, not enter another dream.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Holly shit OP, I had a similar dream a couple of months ago. I was late for a test for a class that I never attended before and I was talking to the professor asking for more time when I realized I was having a dream and I told the professor that this was actually a dream and she said with a sad face "then I'm not real..." and I woke up right there. I felt a weird emptiness for a while, until I told my wife about it. Weird shit.

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I could have a lucid dream! Once when I was a kid I remember trying really hard to turn into a seagull in a dream so I could fly, but I was woken up halfway. I think that's the closest I've ever gotten. They sound so cool.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Holly shit OP, I had a similar dream a couple of months ago. I was late for a test for a class that I never attended before and I was talking to the professor asking for more time when I realized I was having a dream and I told the professor that this was actually a dream and she said with a sad face "then I'm not real..." and I woke up right there. I felt a weird emptiness for a while, until I told my wife about it. Weird shit.

"Emptiness" is a good word to describe it. Just curious are you a dad?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Happens all the time, I was arguing with someone in my dream and I told him it's just a Dream and your not real and pulled out a gun and shot me. Then I woke up.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I have a working theory but I needed more data and you are the only other person that had a dream close to mine.

I think tthe dream is about Fatherhood. Being able to provide for our children fear of the failure to do so.

As a father, my children only exist through me both literally and figuratively. Once they grow up they could exist outside of "my dream" like the lady asked me in my own. And considering my wife just gave birth to another son.

Could be bunk, not sure.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Now I wanna a tv/movie where people in a dream try their hardest to make the person dreaming stay asleep. Like drugging him with sleep meds or somethin