• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Another very cool feature is widescreen games in DS mode. Compatibility is kind of a shitshow but it can be really cool.

img_20190726_205522_525_resized-jpg.176179

What do you do to overclock it and what speed do you use? My new 3ds is over clocked but I don't want to damage it.

For frame drops you should just be able to enable the settings in luma3DS. There's clock, L2 cache, clock + L2 cache. The first will benefit all games by using the n3DS boosted clocks (though n3ds games use this by default), the second I think will only benefit n3DS titles designed to take advantage of it but can cause lag in some n3ds content by keeping the clocks lower I think, and the third will benefit most titles but might not work with some normal 3DS games. Basically just futz around with it when you have a game with performance issues. I think for DQ7 I just used clock but I think some have used clock + l2 without issues.

I assume there's probably some other utility that will actually overclock the 3DS cpu but usually just using the boosted n3ds clocks on o3ds games is sufficient enough.

Any way to mod my New 3DS to escape the black screen of death; as in my 3DS screens only turn on when I boot in safe mode?

Some people seem to have had success by using NTRBOOT, which requires a compatible 3DS-mode flashcart. I personally have not used this method and cannot vouch as to whether or not it will fix things for you.

ntrboot

A complete guide to 3DS custom firmware

But its unclear whether they flashed a sysnand backup or not.

But also it could be a loose internal ribbon cable seemingly

There are a variety of related seeming bricks. There are threads on certain places of the internet that discuss solving these issues but I think they might not be okay to post here.

Last edited:

ivalice

Banned
Sep 3, 2021
I use my hacked 2DSXL more than my Switch, to be honest. I bought it specifically to install CFW last year and it was worth every penny.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
As a result, virtual console injects I believe are 100% compatible.

I think there are some issues trying to run gba games in 3DS mode with stuff like gbarunner2 but don't remember the specifics.

Most injects seem to be from what I've messed with. If you're going to see any issues, it'd be extremely rare. (Or a bad inject most likely.)

gbarunner2 is also good from what I've read, but from my experience, it tends to have issues for whatever reason or another.
Not sure if it's a compatibility issue or something else going on.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forget reading this hacker's powerpoint that explained how your friend code can be used to crack the encryption on your 3ds. Shit is wild out there, man.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
If the 3DS had juuuuust a little higher resolution...

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
Never understood how the whole overclock mode in modding works. If it's possible for the game to run in 60fps then why doesn't it work normally?

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Some people seem to have had success by using NTRBOOT, which requires a compatible 3DS-mode flashcart. I personally have not used this method and cannot vouch as to whether or not it will fix things for you.

ntrboot

There are a variety of related seeming bricks. There are threads on certain places of the internet that discuss solving these issues but I think they might not be okay to post here.

I just ordered a replacement cable for the camera since that's the most common fix I've seen online, and I have recently replaced a joycon analog stick, but I'm still a little nervous about doing it myself.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Is 3DS as simple to hack/cfw as PSP is? Cause I could go for doin' that. This stuff sounds pretty great an its not like I take mine online anyhow.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Never understood how the whole overclock mode in modding works. If it's possible for the game to run in 60fps then why doesn't it work normally?
The New3DS has a faster CPU, but two CPU clock modes for compatibility with older 3DS titles. By design, any game that doesn't inherently support the New3DS will not run under the faster clock, but modding can force it to be enabled for those titles.

It's not actually an overclock of the hardware per say, more it's running the older games on the New3DS clock speeds.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Another very cool feature is widescreen games in DS mode. Compatibility is kind of a shitshow but it can be really cool.

For frame drops you should just be able to enable the settings in luma3DS. There's clock, L2 cache, clock + L2 cache. The first will benefit all games by using the n3DS boosted clocks (though n3ds games use this by default), the second I think will only benefit n3DS titles designed to take advantage of it but can cause lag in some n3ds content by keeping the clocks lower I think, and the third will benefit most titles but might not work with some normal 3DS games. Basically just futz around with it when you have a game with performance issues. I think for DQ7 I just used clock but I think some have used clock + l2 without issues.

I assume there's probably some other utility that will actually overclock the 3DS cpu but usually just using the boosted n3ds clocks on o3ds games is sufficient enough.

ntrboot

Thank you. So if I just use the first setting it runs the new 3ds clock speed for old 3ds titles natively? Basically taking advantage of the faster hardware? That seems like it would be a no-brainer to turn on and wouldn't cause Amy issues I would think.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Is 3DS as simple to hack/cfw as PSP is? Cause I could go for doin' that. This stuff sounds pretty great an its not like I take mine online anyhow.

Not as simple (iirc on PSP you can literally just run an executable now), but very close. There is also a bit more to getting yourself up and running with game dumps, virtual console injects and the like.

3ds.hacks.guide

3DS Hacks Guide

A complete guide to 3DS (and 2DS) custom firmware, from stock to boot9strap.

(Pretty sure this doesnt link to anything pirated).

Thank you. So if I just use the first setting it runs the new 3ds clock speed for old 3ds titles natively? Basically taking advantage of the faster hardware? That seems like it would be a no-brainer to turn on and wouldn't cause Amy issues I would think.

It really depends on a game by game basis. Some games will have issues at n3ds clock speeds, or when given the expanded l2 cache, or both. Generally I have found just the clock boost seems to not cause too many issues with the titles I've played. But usually I just play the game as is unless there are noticeable performance issues, after which I try clock etc. I might have also been unknowingly playing games that take advantage of the n3ds hardware already.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Running some games at max n3ds clocks makes quite a difference with at least Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby (where I tested it)

I think this was with stereo 3d enabled. The battles had awful framerates with stock clocks.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
What do you do to overclock it and what speed do you use? My new 3ds is over clocked but I don't want to damage it.

it seems this has answered by the poster above, but I want to add I don't think overclocking the 3ds would damage the console, because the frequency of the overclock is so low (the console not even heating when overclocked) and on safe operating range of new 3ds (think it like 333mhz psp overclocking). The downside of overclocking is it drains battery faster and only some games benefitted from that.

GrendelKhan

Aug 1, 2018
Me when I think about hacked consoles or romhacks/fan translations

I hacked mine to play the Great Ace Attorney fan translations but then the Switch version got announced so I never played them. Still might use it for a replay to see the 3D version

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

ntrboot

Does that DS widescreening work with the "pixel perfect" scaling? The idea of playing original DS games unscaled on 3DS, especially an XL makes me queasy.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My hacked 3DS is one of my favorite consoles. Have some fan-translations going for games like Great Ace Attorney and Rocket Slime 3, broke the region lock, hacked in orchestral soundtracks for Dragon Quest VII and VIII, and dumped all my GBA and DS games onto it to live on the SD card. It's just awesome.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
WTF! Thank you so much for this thread.
I have been playing DQ7 and was going to stop as the frame drops and lag was pretty rough. I have been running CFW for a while mainly to apply hacks etc but hadn't used the overclock options. Massive game changer. Feels so good now.

Thanks to the people that posted about that.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I have no basis of comparison because I haven't hacked a PSP. The site someone linked above is what I used; it seems to be the standard, as some of the programs involved even reference it. Maybe just scroll through it, click all the steps and see how it looks to you. It looks like a lot of steps, and it is, but that's because it's trying to let anybody do it regardless of knowhow (like me), so it literally has steps like 'press A to confirm' 'press B to back out' (hence why there are like a hundred steps). It looked slightly overwhelming to me, or at least like a pain in the ass, but it really wasn't, minus the time investment (I kind of made an afternoon/night of it).

There was literally only one tiny, tiny part where I was confused, and it had to do with them mentioning the data folder, but not mentioning that it was behind a handful of cryptic folders named 0003924adksajdfskjfs and so forth, but a quick google fixed that. Anything else was user error, like me misreading a file type or putting in a friend code wrong. The site's literally made so anyone can do it, and says that to brick your system you'd have to actively try lmao

In terms of 'tech DIY shit' I've done, I'd call it slightly more in-depth than hacking a SNES Classic, and easier and less stressful than building a PC. lol

Most of it really is drag-n-drop, and the only real pain is switching the SD card back and forth, in and out of an adaptor (and unscrewing the back of my New 3DS to get at it in the first place)

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
WTF! Thank you so much for this thread.
I have been playing DQ7 and was going to stop as the frame drops and lag was pretty rough. I have been running CFW for a while mainly to apply hacks etc but hadn't used the overclock options. Massive game changer. Feels so good now.

Thanks to the people that posted about that.
I agree tbh. Thanks, me, for this thread, cuz I was gonna start DQ7 soon, and totally forgot about hearing you could overclock it. I was like 'it probably isn't that bad' and was just gonna play it. I just hacked the 3DS cuz I wanted to but now I have a bonus lol

I'm glad you got it running smooth!

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Does that DS widescreening work with the "pixel perfect" scaling? The idea of playing original DS games unscaled on 3DS, especially an XL makes me queasy.

I have not tried it unfortunately.

It's not a particularly convenient procedure as it requires patching system files every time and through the 3DS home menu at least it doesn't support per-game configurations. I think Rocket Robz and co are writing a version that will be part of twilight menu++ and might address both that and maybe the pixel perfect thing but don't quote me on that.

The homebrew you use just for the widescreen functionality is twl patcher by sono (probably can't link here), and then each individual game will need a cheat code (these are easy to find -- a google will point you to a big forum post of a lot of them) to render a wider fov in the same 4:3ish ratio, which is then stretched with the new config made by twl patcher, kinda like good old anamorphic widescreen. Twilightmenu++ I believe can handle all of this on the fly but I use a flashcart for DS stuff just because I don't need to unscrew the back of the 3DS when I want to move files around (I think there might be some way to get twilightmenu to read from a flashcart but haven't looked into it).

TWL Patcher also can let you use other upscaling options instead of the barf one Nintendo defaulted to, even without the widescreen hacks. None of them are as good as integer scaling, but some of them look quite nice and are a marginal improvement, especially on an IPS model on higher brightness. Sadly I am not so fortunate. As for how the widescreen stuff looks in practice, it really depends. Stuff like SM64DS can look really quite good, stuff with more details and zoomed out perspectives might not look so good because its stretched to widescreen. But its a fun novelty and for certain games that don't rely a ton on fixed width 2D elements it can look nice.

You can also add blueshift or redshift to make it more comfy to play games in the dark. And Gbarunner2 I think can access 3DS hardware and use it for GBA games -- so you can play stuff like warioware twisted with the 3DS gyro natively.

Sorry for the roundabout post. tldr; I didn't try, it has other uses, there are other homebrew apps that let you do even more cool things.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I agree tbh. Thanks, me, for this thread, cuz I was gonna start DQ7 soon, and totally forgot about hearing you could overclock it. I was like 'it probably isn't that bad' and was just gonna play it. I just hacked the 3DS cuz I wanted to but now I have a bonus lol

I'm glad you got it running smooth!
Haha, yeah good job! Thanks to you and TeenageFBI as i wouldn't have even thought of looking into it.

I had been playing DQ7 and dropped about 6 or so hours into it and could have survived playing it that way though was put off slightly.
But this just feels so much nicer and smoother now.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I should definitely get around to this.

Look for how they hacked the "unhackable" wii mini. No sd card, only one usb, no internet connection, they thought they closed every hole for hacking but guess what hackers used : bluetooth.
Whaaaa?! I always thought these consoles were adorable and wanted one but the lack of features made it hard to justify. Shame even hacking it probably won't fix the video quality.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Apologies for the necro, but I have a related question. I'm on a PokƩmon kick and I'd like to run my old DS carts in widescreen. Is that possible on a hacked 3DS? I see info about running DS games in widescreen. Anyone done this? Is it as easy as it seems?

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I bought European copies of Picross 3D Round 2 and Rhtythm Heaven Megamix. I hacked my old 3DS just to be able to play them. Us customers need to resort to these homebrew solutions with no intent to do something illegal, just to get around some companies' antiquated, restrictive "ownership" ideologies and practices.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I've definitely enjoyed mine a lot more since I converted all my carts to digital versions and can jump from game to game a lot easier - not to mention how much more convenient it is to only need one and not jump on my american one for SMT IV or my japanese one for theatrhythm

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for the necro, but I have a related question. I'm on a PokƩmon kick and I'd like to run my old DS carts in widescreen. Is that possible on a hacked 3DS? I see info about running DS games in widescreen. Anyone done this? Is it as easy as it seems?

If you've already hacked your 3DS then it should be straightforward, though I believe you have to dump your carts first since the recommended method is through TwilightMenu (this is what I followed):

Playing in Widescreen

You could patch the DS kernel to force all DS games in that wider aspect ratio but cheats are required to actually enable a wider FOV in games like Pokemon, which is why TwilightMenu is recommended since it will auto apply the cheat and the patched kernel. The overworld will look proper widescreen but everything else, like battles, are stretched.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I use cheats for single player JRPGs (DQ, SMT games): exp multiplier. It helps go through my gaming backlogs much quicker. Absolutely loving it

Red

Oct 26, 2017
If you've already hacked your 3DS then it should be straightforward, though I believe you have to dump your carts first since the recommended method is through TwilightMenu (this is what I followed):

Playing in Widescreen

You could patch the DS kernel to force all DS games in that wider aspect ratio but cheats are required to actually enable a wider FOV in games like Pokemon, which is why TwilightMenu is recommended since it will auto apply the cheat and the patched kernel. The overworld will look proper widescreen but everything else, like battles, are stretched.
Cheers šŸ»

I ripped Black and followed the guide but it seems like my overworld is still stretched. Will have to keep poking.