• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Serenity was truly one of the worst movies I've ever watched. It's a totally bonkers trainwreck in all the wrong ways.

it starts off as a generic film noir style plot with Anne Hathaway paying her ex-husband McConaughey (a fisherman) to take her abusive husband on a boat trip and kill him at sea... But like halfway into the movie there's a twist where it's revealed McConaughey is actually dead and everything you've just watched is actually a video game programmed by his ten year old son. McConaughey figures out he's really an AI in a video game and all his friends and townspeople are just NPC's. It gets even goofier from there with the island starting to disintegrate and shit.

The twist immediately gives the whole film a creepy vibe since a good portion of the first half was McConaughey prostituting himself and banging women for money so he can pay for fishing supplies and whatnot. So some 10 year old kid programmed a video game where he's controlling his dead father fucking women (including the kids mom)... lol wtf??

And then the kid reprograms the game so it's no longer just a fishing simulator, but a murder simulator. Anne Hathway's character is the kids mother, and the husband she was asking McConaughey to kill is the kids abusive step-father. As video game McConaughey is gonna kill the guy, the kid actually kills the guy in real life too and is charged with murder. He gets out and starts making another game..

It's sooooo fucking dumb and I probably forgot a bunch of the dumbest parts. I'd give it one star just for being totally batshit and swinging for the fences, but man oh man, was it awful. There was maybe only a dozen people in the theater, half walked out before the movie was over and the handful of us who stayed were all laughing our asses off at how ridiculous it was.

What... no way that is real? No. Way.

His finest hour(s) was True Detective for which he won the Oscar.

Funnily enough didn't the Oscar ceremony overlap with the finale of True Detective and when he accepted his DBC award he told everyone to go watch True Detective?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that he hasn't done anything great since Interstellar. The Gentlemen could be a "comeback", at least I hope it is.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Serenity was truly one of the worst movies I've ever watched. It's a totally bonkers trainwreck in all the wrong ways.

it starts off as a generic film noir style plot with Anne Hathaway paying her ex-husband McConaughey (a fisherman) to take her abusive husband on a boat trip and kill him at sea... But like halfway into the movie there's a twist where it's revealed McConaughey is actually dead and everything you've just watched is actually a video game programmed by his ten year old son. McConaughey figures out he's really an AI in a video game and all his friends and townspeople are just NPC's. It gets even goofier from there with the island starting to disintegrate and shit.

The twist immediately gives the whole film a creepy vibe since a good portion of the first half was McConaughey prostituting himself and banging women for money so he can pay for fishing supplies and whatnot. So some 10 year old kid programmed a video game where he's controlling his dead father fucking women (including the kids mom)... lol wtf??

And then the kid reprograms the game so it's no longer just a fishing simulator, but a murder simulator. Anne Hathway's character is the kids mother, and the husband she was asking McConaughey to kill is the kids abusive step-father. As video game McConaughey is gonna kill the guy, the kid actually kills the guy in real life too and is charged with murder. He gets out and starts making another game..

It's sooooo fucking dumb and I probably forgot a bunch of the dumbest parts. I'd give it one star just for being totally batshit and swinging for the fences, but man oh man, was it awful. There was maybe only a dozen people in the theater, half walked out before the movie was over and the handful of us who stayed were all laughing our asses off at how ridiculous it was.
What? I've been thinking about watching that; the trailer reminded me of Body Heat. That plot is ... something else.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Only DiCaprio gets to have a a relatively straight line on the graph.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Talking to people who were abused as a child Serenity really clicked with them. I didn't like it but I can see the appeal if you have unresolved issues in your life , the same with people and Ad Astra

Prometheus.

Banned
Sep 17, 2019
He is going to be two faces in the new Batman film, has the lead role in the new Guy Ritchie film and is rumored to be the new Norman Osborn.

He gonna be fine.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i imagine he just wanted to break out of the rom com circuit and once he pulled it off successfully he told his agent/handlers "well that was fun, let's just do whatever now"

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The RT scores don't tell the whole story - he's been doing riskier work with quality filmmakers. A couple of them were even pretty good on paper (script-wise), but just got bungled during production somehow. It happens.

Beach Bum is Harmony Korine (trust me, it kills me to call him a quality filmmaker, but w/e), Serenity is Steven Knight, White Boy Rick is Yann Demange, Gold is Stephen Gaghan, The Sea of Trees is Gus Van Sant, and Free State of Jones is Gary Ross.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sadly it's been over for a while now. Serenity is one of the worst movies I've seen in recent years, what a waste of a cast.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
He hasn't gone back to doing crappy romantic comedies yet, so it is still a big improvement on where he was ten years ago. I imagine he got some crazy offers after having such a resurgence with True Detective being a phenomenon and winning the Oscar.

Also I bet Gold and Free State of Jonas looked like prestige dramas that might lead to Oscar noms at the time, The Beach Bum is a Harmony Korine movie so you cant turn that down, cant blame him for The Dark Tower I imagine that looked like a franchise in the making and they probably paid him a fortune. I am sure he will come back down to earth soon and get another couple of better roles in good films. Fingers crossed.

kilner

Oct 28, 2017
The RT scores don't tell the whole story - he's been doing riskier work with quality filmmakers. A couple of them were even pretty good on paper (script-wise), but just got bungled during production somehow. It happens.

Beach Bum is Harmony Korine (trust me, it kills me to call him a quality filmmaker, but w/e), Serenity is Steven Knight, White Boy Rick is Yann Demange, Gold is Stephen Gaghan, The Sea of Trees is Gus Van Sant, and Free State of Jones is Gary Ross.

Yup. He's still picking small to mid-budget projects with talented filmmakers and they don't seem to be done for a big paycheck. Except Dark Tower--but Idris Elba!

He's just been unlucky. It seems like all these films have been a miss or a relatively weak entry in these filmmakers' respective bodies of work.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed serenity. It's definitely goes crazy towards the end but I liked what it was trying to do. It's one of those movies you can see where some changes would have made for better execution on the concept.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017

Serenity is free on Prime Video right now. Nobody read this post and please just go watch it. The movie is such a train wreck that needs to be seen and it is so much better if you go in blind.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019

This. He is going through a similar rough patch as Nicole Kidman had after Dogville up until few years ago. She seemed to be picking promising projects and working with talented people (Baumbach, Chan-wook Park, Glazer, Luhrmann...) but all she had to show for it was a long string of flops.