• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The way Mileena fans acted towards the dev and Netherrealm as a whole was absolutely shameful, there's no arguing with that. The issue is that unless Boon himself comes out and says that she was added because of them, there's no way of actually knowing. I dunno. I find it hard to believe that they she wasn't in the planning stages before all the toxicity seeing as it takes an extraordinary amount of time to create fighting game characters.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mileena isn't some niche character who was requested solely by a small group of toxic fans. She's one of the most iconic characters in Mortal Kombat history and arguably the most popular woman.

I mean.. Kitana and Sonya fans have huge arguments over to which of those two is the leading female of MK.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's Mileena? Regardless of how awful they were, girl has been in like 100 mk games. Idk seems like a reach

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
EkEY7vCUcAAOga9.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Lol, I swear some of you guys believe that you are indebted to these people. We are consumers, if we want something in our product than we are right to demand it.

You guys and this "art" idea do nothing but send developers up their own assholes while their bosses show us time and time again that this is simply business.

Fuck what they want. Seriously.

The idea that anyone wants to be trained by a vendor or to see that vendor train others is the worst, most destructive kind of stance for everyone involved.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
What's with this notion of "collective punishment" towards fans because a few are toxic?
100 fans ask for something, 3-4 of them are loud, annoying, and acting like assholes. So, to punish those toxic few, the other 96-97 fans should get nothing?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Almost like they're trying to sell a product...

Plus, Mileena isn't some weird one off. She's a legacy character who has been in nearly every other game.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm going to need actual examples of toxicity here. I'm outside looking in, but nothing surrounding this character seems to scrape the level of the SnyderCut/Dexit/Reylo bullshit.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mileena was always planned Ed Boon just saved her for last to fuck with the fans. "To create an appreciation" lmao

Also besides being weird/thirsty I don't remember seeing the number of toxic MK fans on the level of something like Call of Duty.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I kind of passed on MK11, and took a break from fighters in general, in part because Mileena wasn't there. I'm okay with this.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You're right, and if Sub-Zero was missing from the base roster his inclusion as a DLC character would be fully warranted with or without the outcry of some toxic fans -- just like Mileena.

Oh trust me, they learned that lesson HARD when Scorpion was absent from base Mortal Kombat 3.

Feb 15, 2019
I wonder how you feel about Smash then because everyone's rabid about their favourite character getting into that game and have been for years now. So much so that if isn't a decade old fan requested character, people shit on all the new characters.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
What have they done that's toxic other than be annoying?
So, we are calling constant harassment and death threats towards the developers just being annoying now?

This topic is really quite the eye opener.

Online toxicity isnt online toxicity when its for something that I want, then its a just a few people being annoying.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i highly doubt they added mileena just to appease to some loud toxic fans instead of having at least a plan to add her down the line anyway

plus mortal kombat is the worst franchise to complain about reactivity to players, its rooted in the series from the start, from ermac to rain, skarlett, all sort of rumours etcetera

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ed Boon on releasing Mileena:

"You know, Mileena was one of the first characters from Mortal Kombat 1 and 2," Boon explains. "There were Sub-Zero and Scorpion and on the other side was Katana and Mileena, and they were the kind of classic adversaries over the years of Mortal Kombat, and so we've represented, continued their story, and we hit pause on Mileena just to create an appreciation. But we had no idea it would be this intense. For years we were getting pounded – 'I want to see Mileena again'. We just stretched that out as we knew she was on her way.

"So I started teasing a little bit more. I wouldn't be doing that if I knew that she was eventually going to show up, so it was just a big build-up. You know we played with it a little bit. Eventually, we knew that we were going to be releasing a video like we did and just let the floodgates lose and that's what we witnessed – this pent-up anticipation for Mileena and all of a sudden online we saw the results of it."

www.pcgamesn.com

Mortal Kombat 11 dev “hit pause on Mileena just to create an appreciation”

Series co-creator Ed Boon explained why it took so long for us to see her again at New York Comic-Con

From this it sounds like they also had some fun with teasing and trolling the fans. I think I heard that Boon got annoyed with the fans at some point, but how toxic did it actually get?

(Also this confirms that she was always planned)

We just stretched that out as we knew she was on her way.

Oct 26, 2017
Basically, Mileena fans were... rapid about her absence from MK11 and they constantly pestered Ed Boon and other NRS staff members to put her in.

So they gave in.

I'm sorry, but this sets a bad precedent that whining, bitching and moaning will get you what you want.

Not a good lesson.
Dam companies like to make money whoda thunk

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Jesus christ give me a break...I highly doubt that's the reason they decided to add Mileena, and not all Mileena fans are toxic.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I swear some of you guys believe that you are indebted to these people. We are consumers, if we want something in our product than we are right to demand it.

You guys and this "art" idea do nothing but send developers up their own assholes while their bosses show us time and time again that this is simply business.

The idea that anyone wants to be trained by a vendor or to see that vendor train others is the worst, most destructive kind of stance for everyone involved.
7bf1d1a24f3e6d434e8c9cc5f515700b.gif

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, we are calling constant harassment and death threats towards the developers just being annoying now?

This topic is really quite the eye opener.

Online toxicity isnt online toxicity when its for something that I want, then its a just a few people being annoying.

Or...you know, that person is asking a genuine question because not everybody is tapped in to social media like that that they would know.

And STILL, the toxicity wouldn't be a reason to keep Mileena from being put in the game because you shouldn't punish fans that aren't being shits just to spite the ones that are.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I can't say 100% that I know the character. Can us unknowing get a bit of backstory etc?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

Art and business go hand in hand. A lot of stuff just gets made because people are willing to buy it. Like the 11 mainline MK games and pile of spin-offs and updates. People are well within their rights to want to be loud about what they want/like. As long as they aren't doing anything threatening or harassing it's fine. Now I tend to avoid most of the toxic corners of online fandom in general so I have no clue how bad her toxic fans are, but most of the stuff I see on NRS posts on Twitter are just whining or lame, but tame memes.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
This has already been debunked by nrs. The decision to add her was made before the Twitter campaign/shenanigans.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Ed Boon always encouraged it. And he doesnt seem bothered at all. Honestly, this was likely the plan all along. I woupdnt worry about it too much.

Also money is money. And Mileena is an easy way to guarantee DLC sales this late in MK11s lifespan.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea who Mileena is and I've played a couple MK games so this whole thing is lost on me.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
As someone that trolled the KI community for over a year with "We're not going to do Eyedol", when we had every intention to put them in, I don't see how this conclusion was reached (that they "gave in" to toxicity) - they saved a popular character for later to drive news / interest back up in the title.

Mission accomplished, it seems?