• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not much to discuss here but during the Extra Life Xbox Livestream / Telethon I tossed in a donation. Mostly to help a good cause, but I don't mind seeing my name up in lights either...

a35vv6k.jpg

I got an email a few weeks ago from Justin Robey letting me know I won the console! I didn't believe it until the thing showed up today. It's shiny and beautiful in person - I don't want to touch/use it so it doesn't get busted but it also doesn't do anybody any good in a box! Maybe I can contact the Smithsonian and get one of those secured glass cases with lasers and stuff...

3ladZ1H.jpg

Thanks to the Xbox team - they've always been awesome to work with and continue to head in the right direction.

Mar 23, 2018
Congrats! Honestly, I'd really get something to protect the console's color, but I have no idea about how that works. Is there any official protection glass for the consoles or something? Never looked up for it.

How does the controller feel, btw? It look so shiny... but also so coool

OP
OP
RedStep

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! Honestly, I'd really get something to protect the console's color, but I have no idea about how that works. Is there any official protection glass for the consoles or something? Never looked up for it.

How does the controller feel, btw? It look so shiny... but also so coool

Thanks! It is VERY custom (aka somebody spent a lot of time on it) so there's a nice coat of what appears to be protectant over the console and the controller. It feels good, but fingerprints like a mother. I took a microfiber cloth to it after about 5 seconds of looking at it.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! It is VERY custom (aka somebody spent a lot of time on it) so there's a nice coat of what appears to be protectant over the console and the controller. It feels good, but fingerprints like a mother. I took a microfiber cloth to it after about 5 seconds of looking at it.

Maybe Borman would be the one to ask for tips on keeping a console like that in top form over time.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That console looks incredible. Congrats!! Also props on the donation for a good cause!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm jelly

Do we know a release date for the game yet?

All we know is that it is the next MS published game to release after Crackdown 3.

"We're going to get it out early (October 2nd) and before the blast radius," Greenberg says. "Then we didn't need Crackdown or any of our titles in this holiday window. We're planning to launch that in February, and then after that we will launch Ori and the Will of the Wisps. We like to have a steady cadence of content throughout the year. But there is more than enough content this holiday. That's why we're working with so many third-party partners to showcase their games and help drive our platform during that window. I can't think of a holiday that had more AAA games in such a tight time period."

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Borman would be the one to ask for tips on keeping a console like that in top form over time.

The simple answer is don't use it. Keep it away from dust, finger prints, etc. There is no reason to use a limited console like this if you can afford not to. There simply is no way to preserve it as is.

Custom cases are hard to make and expensive. If you really want to display it, there are plenty of diorama cases and that sort of thing. That is the cheap option. A lot of Ikea furniture and similar allow dust to creep in over time. The downside is it isn't going to offer any really protection past that.

My contest The Division console lives in its box away from dust and light for the time being.

Last edited: