• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say you were in the right to be concerned about wasting her money but needed to approach it differently

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I first started driving, my parents were incredibly overbearing and I would have paid that much money to get them off my fucking case.

And I mean it in the kindest way, but maybe that's what you're like to her.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
That's a lot for driving lessons holy shit, a lot of schools or Independence have the first lesson for free as a test and it's 40 bucks a day. 320 bucks for three days sounds like a ripoff.

Also, you could have brought it up in as a conversation, No idea how you made it in to a argument.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I thought the classes would run $160 (because evidently she paid the first half up front), and I was fine/acquiescent. When I learned it was double that amount, that triggered me.
I think my mom paid ~$60 per class, but that was 20 years ago like I said. Dunno how much classes regularly run in your area.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I don't know the typical rate for driving classes since I took mine in high school, but I think it was about that much. Granted, it was a week or two course of road safety and such, and 3, 2 hour behind the wheel lessons.

It does seem a bit much for only taking the driving lesson. But do people actually find teachers and shit on Instagram and hire them?

It's been so long that I can't remember, but I 'think' passing the driving school was required to take the official driving test. If it's still that way, hopefully this is accepted by the DMV.

However, where you went wrong was telling her at least it's her money being wasted.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How the fuck are you married and think her money is not your money? Are you guys roommates? Lmao

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
A few months ago, she sought to learn how to drive a car. She registered at our local driving school, but since they're backed up, she is wait-listed for God knows how long.

Fast-forward to now, she is paying a "driving instructor" she found on Instagram $320 for 3 classes. The "instructor" goes out and rents the cheapest, broken down, automatic transmission car, and does not give any test, no way of getting a driver's license, and no documentation. She just sits there and says, "check your mirrors", "signal when you turn", etc.. Stuff that any sibling, parent, spouse would tell you. Stuff that I have told her when she practiced driving next to me (unfortunately, with work and the kids, we don't have time to do that very often).

I told her that she's wasting $320 on this stunt, and that I'm glad it's her money being wasted, and not mine. She's mad at me now. That she can't stand my apprehension when it comes to money. That she's now working to get her own money so she doesn't have to listen to this. Am I in the wrong here?

Do you want to be right about the $320, or be happy. She may be someone that just needs figure some things out on her own (my wife is like that with some things).

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
This is why relationships die of a thousand cuts. I've been guilty of it myself. Just because you were right about her getting ripped off doesn't mean you needed to be a dick to her by saying unnecessary things. Do you think she felt great by getting fleeced? You are not helping her or the situation.

It's not the best investment and maybe she knows this after the service she got, but she's making an effort to learn how to drive instead of waiting longer and you're being a dick about it. If you wanted to get a point across about the money, being sneery is probably the worst way to do it. I'd be pissed and I agree with you that it's dumb.

Oct 27, 2017
there's a way to have a conversation about something like this without being an absolute cock about it. sounds like you decided being a cock about it was the correct path.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You fucked up with "You paid $320 for this stunt"

Have you thought about sitting with her and helping her find a better driving instructor? Helping her find a better deal/option? If you would have given the same advice with her in the car, why didn't she come to you? or did you offer?

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I find it really weird when married couples have completely separate money, especially when they argue over it being 'their' money to spend.

I'm with you on this. Whatever my wife and I have, it's ours.

As silly as wasting 320 on sham lessons, I would talk more about how much they're a sham, but as soon as you say "your money" you've lost the argument.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I operate under the better to be honest policy. Does it always work? Of course not and it leads to more arguing sometimes. But I hear the happy wife happy life idiom and I hate it. Like your just supposed to swallow your emotions and get railroaded?
Its about compromise and not blowing up at each other. You're going to fight with someone you love with no matter what. We're human. Was her spending $320 to get driving lessons too expensive? Sounds like it. But she felt like she needed help outside of you teaching her and even though it might be hard to accept that I would try and not take it too personally. Like others have mentioned she is probably pissed in the way you said it was a waste of money. Maybe she feels that way too but doesn't want to admit that. Or she's angry you are trying to control her.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the one who makes the money in my marriage, would not pay $320 for a "Instagram driving instructor". You're not wrong but the way you approached it was assholeish.

TAYREL713

Oct 30, 2017
You aren't "wrong" per se but what you said was during a moment of frustration and anger to a woman who was most liekly already embarassed at having wasted a sizable chunk of money who needed your support in that moment not you bitching at her. So hey, congrats on being "right" but making your partner feel like shit in the process. Apologize for making her feel bad (whic is your only actual crime here) and suggest you both seek out a better driving instructor if the school close to you is still full up. Communication my guy, always communication.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I agree with most people here... You're not wrong, the way you've said it was just not the best.

That being said... What the fuck is an Instagram driving instructor?
Is it normal for people to sell services on Instagram?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Imagine you being a grown ass adult having to ask another adult permission to buy Sekiro next week

could never be me.

It depends. When we had a very high income we'd just spend money because it was there. When we were deeply in debt we'd jointly discuss all expenditure beyond basics. I recall I held a discussion with my wife over whether to spend £10 on a WiFi dongle for a computer to replace a long Ethernet cable. It's not so much about permission as acting as one unit to solve problems.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It may be too much money but you handled it incredibly insensitively and poorly. Mistakes happen. No need to belittle her.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Way too many people in this thread think they're entitled to their spouse's money

It's not completely wrong for most relationships. I was the sole wage earner for much of our marriage, so yes my wife was entitled to our money even though the salary was in my name. There was never a problem.

We both grew up in similar working class households where men were invariably the primary wage earners so we had a role model for that kind of relationship, where often the person managing the money is not the same person who brings it in. Where this kind of arrangement doesn't apply, there will be different solutions.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
You couldn't find time to drive with her, and when she found someone to do it you told her she wasted her money.

Who could have foreseen this would turn out badly for you?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
giphy.gif

But, seriously you aren't wrong. It may not have been the right way to handle it. But damn that's a silly move.
This is really all that needs to be said. You could have handled it sooooooooo much better

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$320 what a fucking ripoff. Did you guys even look for professional driving services NOT on Instagram?

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine you being a grown ass adult having to ask another adult permission to buy Sekiro next week

could never be me.
As a person in that position, it builds trust between the couple that there is open discussion about purchases being made. I also grew up poor so my wife is better at holding me accountable so I don't blow through whatever amount of disposable income we have. I get some people think it's too controlling to have to discuss frivolous purchases but I'd be up shit creek if I were given free reign with the bank account.

Feb 10, 2018
Not very productive to say this after she's paid and had the lessons.
If you felt so strongly why didn't you look for a better deal before she went with the Instagram person?

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't she talk to you before spending $320? She made a mistake and so did you, but it sounds like you two need to figure out your financial situation. Make a budget together and talk about money. Large purchases shouldn't be made alone.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I told her that she's wasting $320 on this stunt, and that I'm glad it's her money being wasted, and not mine. She's mad at me now. That she can't stand my apprehension when it comes to money. That she's now working to get her own money so she doesn't have to listen to this. Am I in the wrong here?

Sarcasm that comes up in disagreements, the kind that belittles the other person - like the bolded - is poison when it comes to relationships. You could've told her directly that you thought her instructor was overcharging her, instead of making it about her "wasting" money. Good on your wife for learning how to drive btw.

When you spent $2300 on a trip to Dubai but weren't allowed to enter the country because you couldn't fulfill the entry requirements, how did your wife react?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
You're not wrong but be a bit less "told ya so" in your response; I'd be frustrated too and I get where you're coming from, but your wife is probably embarrassed and rubbing it in won't help.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your wife is getting ripped off but if y'all have separate money then that's her money. I'm sure there is shit you buy that she considers a waste.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As people have said here, your wife is trying to better herself and be more independent. She wants to learn to drive as soon as possible, but no one is available to help her... so she went through instagram... likely the only avenue she knows..

She got fleeced.. it happens. But your reaction is, "good job wasting money" in the most passive aggressive way possible. Hmmm..

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
That is probably at least concerning, if not a waste of money, but your communication style has a lot to be desired. For example:

I think that's why I mentioned that her money being wasted. Because I wanted to infer that that money is ours, and that I don't approve of the spending, but I didn't want to impede on the fact she was the one who earned it.

Mind games and passive-aggressiveness are not the way to go when communicating with your spouse

Of course you're wrong. You're the man. We as men are always wrong. Also bringing up monetary issues like this is gonna have lasting consequences.

Not sure if serious, but this is an awful worldview

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Find a cheaper alternative legit driving instructor and offer it up to her. This way it shows you support what she wants to do (which is to learn to drive) while also mitigating the money issue.

But don't get mad if she doesn't accept the alternate cheaper option. Just offer it as a choice and let her do what she wants to do with it.

Deleted member 16983

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is where you went wrong.

You're married. It's time to act like it.

Apologize to her, please.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey it's not like you ever fucked up your travel docs and costs yourselves significantly more right? Did she sarcastically deride you of it? Seems you are in the wrong

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
... Stuff that I have told her when she practiced driving next to me (unfortunately, with work and the kids, we don't have time to do that very often).

"I told you already."
"You're wasting money."
"I'm glad you're wasting your money, not mine."

I can't imagine why she's upset.